Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Would the term embarrassment humour be better do you think?
It's certainly better than the alternative.

Barry Foster posted:

It's cathartic - it's actually good for the reasons you and bman don't like it, it shows you the absolute worst, most awkward people, and you get to laugh about how you're (hopefully) not like that.

Also mix in the sheer schadenfreude of watching terrible people have a terrible time. We all enjoy watching Johnson humiliate himself, so why not Alan Partridge or David Brent?
I'm all for laughing at genuinely terrible people like Boris Johnson having a terrible time.
The difference, as I see it, is that these people in the show that's getting relaunched are supposed to be comedians (well, they've worked as successful comedians before..), so it's all just an act.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I just get annoyed/angry at cringe comedy most of the time, mostly because I'm thinking "no one would do that/be that stupid, they should do X..." most the time when watching it. I suppose they are getting a reaction from me, just not the one they want. Still, stay on the right shade of believable and it can be good (The inbetweeners)
Now that you mentioned that, I realize that that's a huge part of it for me too.
Do I have too high expectations of people? :ohdear:

They really don't care, do they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

coffeetable posted:

this is 'emotional hedging': bet against the side you want to win in an amount large enough that you no longer want your side to win. then get on with your life.

whether you'll place the bet or not, it's an interesting thought experiment to figure out just how much you care about politics

of course the better option is to not let yourself care that much in the first place.
What about 'emotional edging'?

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

quote:

Boris Johnson is visiting Peterhead fish market, near Aberdeen, this morning.

He appeared to overpay for a large box of cod after getting into a bidding war, before walking away empty handed.

Asked whether it was a good price, Simon Berbner - the chief executive of the market, said: "If you're selling, it's a great price. If you're buying, maybe it's a little high."

Mr Johnson left the box of cod behind.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Having those experiences to relate to on the show is vital too - It's why I bounced off Peep Show, not being a working adult yet means it just didn't land with me as it's more unfamiliar.

This is true, but I think Peep Show is funny without that context. I definitely appreciated it more after moving out and getting a job though.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Part of the Tory secret election plan involves not implementing Purdah for an early election. How that works and how they think it works I have no clue but I wouldn't put it past them to tell the press ”Help us win and you won't have any worries.”

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Now this is definitely foreshadowing PM Deals' deft hand

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Angry Lobster posted:

What's the schedule for the next drama-filled vote on the Commons after the bill is returned from the Lords? monday?

If for some entirely mad reason you want to, you can watch the second day of the Lord's debate on the Brexit bill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqxpvF0qdSY

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Steve2911 posted:

This is true, but I think Peep Show is funny without that context. I definitely appreciated it more after moving out and getting a job though.

Yeah, Peep Show definitely does have some intensely cringeworthy moments (like Mark calling Sophie and singing down the phone to her answering machine), but it's leavened by the presence of their internal monologues. It's actually quite a comforting show because it universalises those intrusive thoughts of self-loathing. Also, constantly thinking about, and comparing everything to, Stalingrad.

Also, Alan Partridge is some level beyond cringeworthy because he's just such a surreal character. It's more like reading Kafka or something

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I know I am labouring a point and it's already yesterday's news but here is a melt giving a better explanation of our position then our own front bench:

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1169869103143612423?s=09

I am banging on about this as will come up on the doorstep.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Best one of these I've seen yet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm aware that the very question may be :thermidor:-worthy but is anyone doing the Two Cities (Westminster and London) Labour canvassing thing tomorrow?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The CumDom strikes again it seems:

quote:

Boris Johnson’s controversial enforcer warned a former cabinet minister he would be ‘purged’ if he stepped out of line on Brexit, Tory sources said last night.

In an extraordinary phone rant, Dominic Cummings issued a direct threat to Greg Clark during a heated exchange ahead of Tuesday night’s crunch vote allowing MPs to seize control of Commons business.

A senior Tory source said Mr Cummings told former business secretary Mr Clark: ‘When are you f***ing MPs going to realise we are leaving on October 31? We are going to purge you.’

A second former minister confirmed the account, adding: ‘This is the most reckless and vindictive handling of colleagues I have seen in my 20-odd years in parliament. It’s a disaster – Cummings is out of control.’

Details of Mr Clark’s phone call to Mr Cummings, confirmed by several sources, suggested it was made to discuss a possible compromise following a fractious meeting between rebels and Mr Johnson on Tuesday morning. The prime minister told Mr Clark to ‘call Dom’ to discuss the idea. But when he rang Mr Cummings, the PM’s senior adviser is said to have opened the conversation with a brusque ‘What do you want?’ before launching into a rant and then hanging up.

From the Graun liveblog. A strong and stable genius is leading politics.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

notaspy posted:

I know I am labouring a point and it's already yesterday's news but here is a melt giving a better explanation of our position then our own front bench:

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1169869103143612423?s=09

I am banging on about this as will come up on the doorstep.

I believe this is basically what Emily Thornberry got roundly mocked for saying on QT last night, that a Labour government would put to the public the best deal they could, but that she would personally vote against it in favour of voting to Remain.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

If for some entirely mad reason you want to, you can watch the second day of the Lord's debate on the Brexit bill:

The Lords have a tendency to go on long, rambling tangents about the underlying philosophy and history of government, which can be pretty fascinating if you have nothing better to do with your time. Like yesterday Lord Howard went on this rant about the USSR being the only reason the EU is relevant, and the rest of the Lords devoted 20 minutes to slapping him until he shut up about it

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think it's because they have gotten so used to being called brilliant that its become true for them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

HJB posted:

I believe this is basically what Emily Thornberry got roundly mocked for saying on QT last night, that a Labour government would put to the public the best deal they could, but that she would personally vote against it in favour of voting to Remain.

our press is trash and want it to be remain vs no deal

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Junior G-man posted:

https://twitter.com/rick_morty_bot/status/822959460687564800?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

notaspy posted:

Was this deliberate

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Best one of these I've seen yet.

Have you seen the one modifying that picture of the construction workers sitting on a hanging girder? It's a little inaccurate as Mogg is off to the left, but it's good.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I assume Dom is a real big fan of The Thick Of It and has decided he's the next Malcom Tucker except moreso

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

quote:

It’s a disaster – Cummings is out of control.
:brexit::gizz:

Jedit posted:

Have you seen the one modifying that picture of the construction workers sitting on a hanging girder? It's a little inaccurate as Mogg is off to the left, but it's good.
I haven't, I don't think it's been posted itt either, got link?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
every morning i open palm slam a dvd into the slot. it's the thick of it etc etc

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
There's plenty of cringe comedy I enjoyed, but I've never "got" Alan Partridge. Watching it feels like when you got up too early on Saturday and had to sit through something else before the good cartoons came on. I only think about it from people talking about how brilliant it is, so I don't know if that's a niche opinion or I'm in the silent majority.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Cringe comedy is good, actually

uvar posted:

There's plenty of cringe comedy I enjoyed, but I've never "got" Alan Partridge. Watching it feels like when you got up too early on Saturday and had to sit through something else before the good cartoons came on. I only think about it from people talking about how brilliant it is, so I don't know if that's a niche opinion or I'm in the silent majority.

I'm similar. I watched a few when I was younger and just didn't find it particularly funny. I've tried again since and while I understand a lot more of the jokes it just doesn't click for me the way peep show for example does.

The Inbetweeners is a documentary about being a very uncool 17 year old boy in a state comprehensive, with a few jokes thrown in so they could call it a comedy. It's amazing.

Fresh meat is actually way better than it has any right to be.

The office and the thick of it both went right over my head when I first watched them as a young'un. I've since rewatched them and they're both absolutely incredible. I really liked the fact that Brent was completely lacking in the kind of humanising 'they're dumb but not bad people' traits most similar characters are given (and which his counterpart on the US version was). He's just an awful, awful person from start to finish. It's just a shame the office is the one good thing gervais ever did (maybe alongside some of extras), and as a result the thing that convinced him he was a genius infallible comedy god.

There was a really shite one series thing a few years back called fried, which followed the guys working in a chicken shop. It was very mediocre on the whole but they did one episode where they all went to some fried chicken awards ceremony and I swear to god it was one of the funniest 30mins of TV I've ever seen.

Peep show will always be the top of the pack though.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 6, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JackkJazz/status/1169740492201967619?s=19

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I haven't, I don't think it's been posted itt either, got link?

https://twitter.com/oisingrip/status/1169160469204131840

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Angepain posted:

every morning i open palm slam a dvd into the slot. it's the thick of it etc etc

Buddy, if you are going to do this you have to commit and post the whole thing

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

ThomasPaine posted:

Cringe comedy is good, actually

Ive been watching Cuckoo recently (i know its loving old), and i feel that hit a really good balance of not overly cringe cringe comedy.

I tried watching Worst Week of My Life and just couldnt handle it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

coffeetable posted:

this is 'emotional hedging': bet against the side you want to win in an amount large enough that you no longer want your side to win. then get on with your life.

whether you'll place the bet or not, it's an interesting thought experiment to figure out just how much you care about politics

of course the better option is to not let yourself care that much in the first place.

Did this for trump and macron. Made bank with trump and got to celebrate after macron won le pen lost

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Ah, I see he's failing to Dom.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Junior G-man posted:

I'm not that mad (yet).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nice.

CyberPingu posted:

Buddy, if you are going to do this you have to commit and post the whole thing
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DVD INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE THICK OF IT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, THICK. I MESS UP AND VOID MY BOWELS ONTO THE LINO AND THEN SLIP ON MY OWN poo poo AND ROLL AROUND IN IT WHILE SHOUTING QUOTES FROM THE ART OF WAR AND THE PRINCE BY MACKY O'VALLY. VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST AND THEN GO TO WAR, I SHOUT AS I SLIDE poo poo COVERED INTO THE KITCHEN CUPBOARDS AND AN OPEN TIN OF BEANS FALLS ON ME. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY GOVERNMENT AS poo poo AND BEANS DRIP OFF OF ME AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE LEGISLATURE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I ADVISE BORIS JOHNSon

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

HJB posted:

Thornberry's performance last night is what kicked this all off.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Was this deliberate

Yep

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
People take the piss out of the American office and it certainly isn't perfect but you know I think it's more good than bad.

E: except that one union busting episode jfc

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'd really like to know where Dom Cummies gets his confidence from, just absolutely wild to go straight at people all the time when he looks like a glass of piss wished to be a real boy.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Pilchenstein posted:

I'd really like to know where Dom Cummies gets his confidence from, just absolutely wild to go straight at people all the time when he looks like a glass of piss wished to be a real boy.

It's from cocaine OP

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

He genuinely thinks he's Malcom tucker

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That photograph triggers my acrophobia even in miniature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pilchenstein posted:

he looks like a glass of piss wished to be a real boy.
:discourse: