Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
thank god they're letting you choose. the forced 2-button UI i get now on the pixel 3a sucks balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
giving people the option to go back to the old ui: for when you're really confident in your design decisions

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't care for the gesture nav. It screws up apps with the left hamburger menu

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

did you guys see there’s a memory leak bug associated with one of the new buttons lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol look at that glitch

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

rapeface posted:

lol look at that glitch

it has a name

anroid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nine pages of words to say "android is a POS"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

quote:

I can't wait to try the dual boot system when something worthy of dual booting actually comes out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"i can't wait to dual boot my telephone"
- an entirely normal human being

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hey nerds my moto died spectacularly so I bought a pixel 3a. updated android is new and frightening

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

f

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I'm not exactly sure what changed in Android 10 but I've got multiple apps that have seemingly broken with local data loss over the upgrade from Android 9 to 10.

My current operating theory is that they pulled an OpenSSL 1.1 and changed some defaults in APIs that developers mostly didn't explicitly specify and consequently encrypted data goes poof if app developer wasn't proactive in testing betas and still, you know, active at all.

(Theory inspired by something I saw about changing from AES to ChaCha... Looks like full background is here.)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1169821019600670726

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i'm amazed at companies copying good ideas and for some reason also maintaining the bad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

if your name is not logitech stop making tv remotes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the rocker switch is not a volume button, why is it even a rocker?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

James Baud posted:

So I'm not exactly sure what changed in Android 10 but I've got multiple apps that have seemingly broken with local data loss over the upgrade from Android 9 to 10.

My current operating theory is that they pulled an OpenSSL 1.1 and changed some defaults in APIs that developers mostly didn't explicitly specify and consequently encrypted data goes poof if app developer wasn't proactive in testing betas and still, you know, active at all.

(Theory inspired by something I saw about changing from AES to ChaCha... Looks like full background is here.)

I think android 10 blocks apps from using SecureStorage or something like that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

the rocker switch is not a volume button, why is it even a rocker?

because that's how apple did theirs

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://fossbytes.com/android-10-uninstall-screen/

you can finally fix google's lovely UI (by uninstalling the screen, android OS, etc)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

android 10 does not work extremely well

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sounds like that os is a pos, op

running 9 on my pixel right now. maybe ill...let 10 marinate a bit before updating

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nah mate, a turd like that you want to flush asap. it's not going to get any better with age

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

my s6 is getting slow and the battery loves going from 30-10-0% so it may be new phone time soon

the a70 looks like it'll suit the needs every bit as well as the s10 for half the price, what's the catch

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

not from this distance, your honor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

my s6 is getting slow and the battery loves going from 30-10-0% so it may be new phone time soon

the a70 looks like it'll suit the needs every bit as well as the s10 for half the price, what's the catch

the catch is it's made by samsung

..it's a mid tier phone made by samsung at that, so, you know, their usual very high standards of quality might be compromised a bit

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Were it not for the battery life I could easily see myself keeping this s6 around another year; it's been fantastic for me. Guessing this is uncommon?

I'd even gone so far as to buy a powerbear for it, but i had to send it back because the usb jack was too deep and nothing stayed plugged into it. How do you even gently caress that up?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you were happy with the s6 for four years i don't think you'll be less happy with the a70, if that helps

you could replace the battery for $30 and 10 minutes of your time, but idk if it's worth the time/cost and risk of blowing your dick off with a shoddy aftermarket cell

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it does :)

I bought the S6 mid-Jan 2016, pretty much four years to the day after I bought the S2 (but man did that last year with the s2 suck, even before i went and got it wet)

Gonna be a hard pass on the aftermarket battery, esp doing it myself cause the s6 is a real prick to work on even as smartphones go. I'd sooner spend that $30 on an anker and pocket a weird phonechuk thingy like the giant idiot I am for not having bought a 6s and applecare and a fistful of dongles or whatever it is apple people do

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

flakeloaf posted:

it does :)

I bought the S6 mid-Jan 2016, pretty much four years to the day after I bought the S2 (but man did that last year with the s2 suck, even before i went and got it wet)

Gonna be a hard pass on the aftermarket battery, esp doing it myself cause the s6 is a real prick to work on even as smartphones go. I'd sooner spend that $30 on an anker and pocket a weird phonechuk thingy like the giant idiot I am for not having bought a 6s and applecare and a fistful of dongles or whatever it is apple people do

obv the solution is a dongle combined with a tether to tether the dongle to the headphones so you don't lose the dongle

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
need to charge your mouse or electric shaver on he go? huawei has just what you need. yes, that is a phone under them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

need to charge your mouse or electric shaver on he go? huawei has just what you need. yes, that is a phone under them.

this was supposed to be in iphones 11 lmao

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the samsung phones that do it are faster than huawei's implementation and yet still slower than the shitass 5w wall charger with phones.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
back charging is mostly dumb

the funny computer part here was charging a mouse and electric shaver from your mobile phone, shown on a slide in a press presentation. someone thought those were good examples to show.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
are there actually electric shavers with wireless charging?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

are there actually electric shavers with wireless charging?

afaik electric shavers have had wireless charging the longest

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Every shaver I've ever owned, even the expansive ones with special cradles, used contacts.
Electric toothbrushes have almost all been inductive charging.

And buddy-charging on phones and Qi powerbanks are both dumb.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
nobody in the universe wants to drain their phone while traveling under any circumstance like wtf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what if, uh, like, you have the big meeting in an hour and you haven't shaved and you are staying in a hotel that has no electricity. then what

e: also the hotel has no free disposable razors and there are no convenience stores

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Do you have scissors, marker and a paper bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

what if, uh, like, you have the big meeting in an hour and you haven't shaved and you are staying in a hotel that has no electricity. then what

e: also the hotel has no free disposable razors and there are no convenience stores

you'd be on the beggars side

im saying who else in that situation is gonna donate the charge that they have in the same situation

i was starting to type "there should be a cell phone charging charity for disasters" as a joke but no actually there should probably be that lol