Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Private Speech posted:

Starbucks, Subway and Pizza Hut too, also Krispy Kreme and Taco Bell in a few places. Really that's quite plenty, I'm not sure how many more big US brands there even are. Uhh, olive garden I guess?

Wendy's, Hardee's, Dairy Queen, Tim Hortons, Sonic, Arby's, Popeyes, Chik-Fil-A, Carl's Jr, A&W, Whataburger, to name a few more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah for the price of a five guys you could go somewhere actually nice and get a burger.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Private Speech posted:

They do. Most of the time it's Netherlands for some reason (probably their extensive greenhouse farming).

You don't grow potatoes in greenhouses unless it's like a rare varietal or something that brings in loads of cash. The space is way too cramped and expensive per m2, you'd never get your money back. The Dutch grow a lot of potatoes because the centre/north of their country in particular is really well suited to it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's like three Taco Bells in Britain and one of the them is (was?) in the Manchester Arndale food court. Unfortunately they don't serve the insane sorts of things you get from American Taco Bells which are IMO the entire reason to eat at a Taco Bell and not at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place run by undocumented immigrants.

The UK just can't do Mexican food. There's a place called Wahaca, for poo poo's sake. It's spelled Oaxaca, pendejos.

it's adorable - in the north they pronounce "jalapeno" like "jalopy" - i seriously thought someone was loving with me the first time i heard it.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
There is chipotle in London

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Chuka Umana posted:

There is chipotle in London

yeah and theres a toilet in my apartment but i dont post about it

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Junior G-man posted:

You don't grow potatoes in greenhouses unless it's like a rare varietal or something that brings in loads of cash. The space is way too cramped and expensive per m2, you'd never get your money back. The Dutch grow a lot of potatoes because the centre/north of their country in particular is really well suited to it.

Yeah sorry I have no idea about potatoes.

I did google it and was going to edit this in:

https://www.bizvibe.com/blog/food-beverages/potato-industry-netherlands/ posted:

The Netherlands is the world leader in the potato industry in terms of potato production, potato exports, and potato processing. Despite the country’s small size, the Netherlands has managed to achieve the world’s highest potato crop yields through its innovative production, thus becoming one of the largest potato suppliers and potato seed suppliers in the global market. With potato remaining as one of the most popular and highest consumed agricultural food around the world, the potato industry in the Netherlands is expected to further strengthen its leading position in the global potato supply market.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThanosWasRight posted:

Wendy's, Hardee's, Dairy Queen, Tim Hortons, Sonic, Arby's, Popeyes, Chik-Fil-A, Carl's Jr, A&W, Whataburger, to name a few more

I thought Tim Horton was a Canadian thing.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Why does there need to be homophobia?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ThanosWasRight posted:

From what I've seen Chik-Fil-A (do Americans seriously not know how to pronounce "Fillet"?) would seriously test my commitment to vegetarianism.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

bump_fn posted:

they have no idea

no god drat idea

its heartbreaking

I love Mexican food but I've never found the real deal anywhere in Europe :( At it's best it's Tex-Mex slop like 'Autentico Mexico' crap you find on the shelves of a supermarket.

You can't even get the right spices and chilis in most places.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I go to Tortilla in Guildford a lot(too much: they recognise me now) and the food is decent, especially when I'm looking for a hot vegetarian lunch, but jesus wept none of the staff can roll a tortilla to save their lives. I just get a burrito bowl instead.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d9564065-Reviews-Burrito_Joe-London_England.html

This is the only burrito place worth going to in London.

E: those lapel mics didn’t work because they’re pointing at the floor 😂

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

I thought Tim Horton was a Canadian thing.

it was, i want to say it got bought out by an american company? tims doesn't penetrate far into dunkin territory in the northern US anyway.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ThanosWasRight posted:

Ahem, Tim Hortons is Canadian. :canada:

CoolCab posted:

it was, i want to say it got bought out by an american company? tims doesn't penetrate far into dunkin territory in the northern US anyway.

Oh, true dat.....looks like Wendy's Group bought them out. Also Arby's and BW3.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Junior G-man posted:

Goddamn that Tony Blair article is bad, apart from the good quote.

He can't quite bring himself to say that Corbyn is terrible anymore, but now his argument is that a GE would be bad for both Tory AND Labour MPs and should therefore not be held. Instead, a referendum would solve things smoothly because then all the Tories can get behind Leave (meaning what?) and Remain (meaning what?). None of this is further spelled out.

Also, it's Tony, so always do the opposite of what he's saying.

tbf the mere fact that Tonty Blair of all people feels he can't savage Corbyn outright is a pretty huge indicator of how much things have shifted in the last week. :discourse:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

bump_fn posted:

maybe i just went to a bad one but the Tortillas i have been to around london ahve been poo poo. terribly seasoned meat, just flavourless. smdh

The trick is to be a vegeterian! They do a pulled jackfruit thing now which is nice.

Oh honey no. I know you mean well but don't ever say this to a Californian who lives ten miles from the border.

:shrug: It might not be as nice, but it's not toilet food like Chipotle or McD's

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

ThanosWasRight posted:

Tim Hortons are in Manchester at least, not been in there to try though because I doubt they're vegan

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Gasmask posted:

EU gonna tell us to gently caress off lmbo

At that point, wouldn't we legally have to repeal article 50 as to not leave without a deal?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Oh honey no. I know you mean well but don't ever say this to a Californian who lives ten miles from the border.

I got a burrito last time I was in London because I live in Italy now and its even worse here. The joy of "I'm eating a burrito" lasted half of one bite and the disappointment lasted the rest of it. I didn't expect it to be like home, but it couldn't even get over those low expectations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Junior G-man posted:

I love Mexican food but I've never found the real deal anywhere in Europe :( At it's best it's Tex-Mex slop like 'Autentico Mexico' crap you find on the shelves of a supermarket.

You can't even get the right spices and chilis in most places.

theres a little corner store that has a collection of imported stuff from mexico where you can get smoked chiles and stuff its a life saver. but yeah you really gotta just cook it yourself if you want good mexican

Diet Crack posted:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d9564065-Reviews-Burrito_Joe-London_England.html

This is the only burrito place worth going to in London.

E: those lapel mics didn’t work because they’re pointing at the floor 😂

ill give this place a shot tho

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Miftan posted:

:shrug: It might not be as nice, but it's not toilet food like Chipotle or McD's

Barburrito is fine for what it is: a vague simulacrum of Mexican food. That doesn't make it a good burrito. I imagine you could get Nigella Lawson to make you a kebab but it won't be the real thing either.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
So, I know there may be some small political things going on. But I need to know, as a stupid American, did the Irish among you really do that “Rock the Boat” dance like in Derry Girls?

Be kind, I bruise easily.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
There is no good Mexican food in the UK and I am sad about it every day

e: I'll keep trying tho

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Every Brit and European I have met is super racist against Mexican food and also has never come within 6,500 km of it.

Taco Bell is the USA's fault, don't put that evil on Mexico.

I totally understand anti-:911: food prejudice because we export so much of our absolute worst stuff, that's on us.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 6, 2019

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

AceClown posted:

From what I've seen Chik-Fil-A (do Americans seriously not know how to pronounce "Fillet"?) would seriously test my commitment to vegetarianism.

Pressed newspaper is vegetarian so you'd be good, assuming you like powdered sugar in your breading.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Barburrito is fine for what it is: a vague simulacrum of Mexican food. That doesn't make it a good burrito. I imagine you could get Nigella Lawson to make you a kebab but it won't be the real thing either.

I can't handle spicy food so it works for me!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

notaspy posted:

Why does there need to be homophobia?
Isn't that a butt plug? I don't think there's anything automatically homosexual about butt plugs.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

sean10mm posted:

Every Brit and European I have met is super racist against Mexican food and also has never come within 6,500 km of it.

Taco Bell is the USA's fault, don't put that evil on Mexico.

I totally understand anti-:911: food prejudice because we export so much of our absolute worst stuff, that's on us.
who the hell doesn't like mexican food, even bad european mexican food

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I've ever eaten mexican food or mexican shaped food.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do you have Boojum outside of Northern Ireland? That's my only experience with Mexican food and it's p decent

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Slammy posted:

So, I know there may be some small political things going on. But I need to know, as a stupid American, did the Irish among you really do that “Rock the Boat” dance like in Derry Girls?

Be kind, I bruise easily.

Hell no.
90s dance floors were like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOMT3bRJXOo

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Isn't that a butt plug? I don't think there's anything automatically homosexual about butt plugs.
Yes, it's a butt plug.

Butt stuff can be for straight people too, and the primary metaphor is Corbyn jamming up brexit.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I love Mexican food. Even the bad imitation stuff!
I'm particularly fond of enchiladas
:discourse:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fixt

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Cummings literally thought that he could bully Corbyn into a GE with a chicken meme. He probably wrote it in giant letters on the glass walls of the HQ thinking he was Good Will Hunting. The Galaxy brain is expanding at relativistic rates

pitch a fitness posted:

Corbyn scandal update: Jeremy sits nude in chicken suit which he believes gives him brexual powers

Can’t believe we didn’t hold the podcast back another day for this poo poo lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

coffeetable posted:

who the hell doesn't like mexican food, even bad european mexican food

I mean the thing is, people love to hate on Taco Bell but nobody who goes there thinks it's some kind of authentic Mexican cuisine. We go because it's 3am, we're broke, and we're high.

e; My step-dad does a pretty loving fantastic enchilada tho.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You guys do realize it's very easy to make tacos and burritos at home right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the next couple of weeks are going to be very good podcast material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ThanosWasRight posted:

You guys do realize it's very easy to make tacos and burritos at home right?

yes but every jar of "salsa" in a grocery store here is ketchup with some chopped onions mixed in. and the tortillas are like fifteen years old