Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

You learn something new every day, I only had the shareware as a lad, and I've never gotten to episode 2. Those guys look pretty intense, metal.

I played the hell out of episode 1 when it was released (or close to it, whenever my local Radio Shack started selling it on compilation disks), but I only got the full version of Wolf3D waaaaaaaaaaaaay too late (like within the last 7 or so years). Played through Spear of Destiny as well, years and years ago.

I have to say, I have yet to bother to go through the other levels. At some point, Wolf3D (the original) moves to that coveted spot in one's mind where you already know and remember enough about it and can say 'yeah, I used to love it, and I respect the hell out of it' without ever bothering to play it (vanilla) again.

If I wanted to play through the other 5 episodes, what would you all suggest I use to spice it up? I don't care how ridiculous it is, as long as, generally, the same level and enemy designs are intact. Even if it makes it a cakewalk on I Am Death Incarnate, at least I'd appreciate how, without whatever mod, a given situation would have been rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

About a decade ago I played through Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny and all their missions pack using NewWolf (hasn't been updated in a looong time). I tackled one or two levels a day, so that lasted a few months. Probably a good choice on my part, because some of the levels in the missions packs are really terrible. There were several that felt like they were nothing but zigzag corridors. I imagine they are even worse if you are not using a source port that adds strafing and mouselook.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

ECWolf all the way, guys.

NewWolf was all well and good for using WASD and all that stuff but gently caress me was it incomplete to the point of being useless. Just mown down the boss? Have fun wandering around in limbo because the trigger for completing the episode doesn't work. And you'll never see the final level for Spear of Destiny!

ECWolf fixes all that bullshit and retains as much of the original behaviour as possible, while giving you comfortable controls.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You could cheat to change to the last level, but yeah, that port had some issues. It's probably for the best that it got abandoned.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If I wanted to play through the other 5 episodes, what would you all suggest I use to spice it up? I don't care how ridiculous it is, as long as, generally, the same level and enemy designs are intact. Even if it makes it a cakewalk on I Am Death Incarnate, at least I'd appreciate how, without whatever mod, a given situation would have been rough.

I played through all of Wolf3D+SOD, including mission packs, through AFA's Wolf3D TC for ZDoom. That was before ECWolf got an automap, so the ability to use ZDoom's own automap (and all the other ZDoom things I was used to) made the limited and repetitive level design easier to handle, and also you could get the whole thing as a single giant mod with nine episodes.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
ECWolf has a couple of mods for it last I checked; I think there’s one that adds larger sprites. The engine is basically a hybrid of Wolf3D and ZDoom in case you didn’t know, so a lot of modding is very similar. Unfortunately the tools available are light years behind what’s available for Doom. There’s no map editor that can directly use UWMF, for example (the equivalent of Doom’s UDMF, a text-based level format that removes a ton of the limitations of the binary format).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Works fine for me in GZDoom v4.2.0. Both levels have their proper names and music as specified.

:wtc: I'm very confused then, so that must mean the problem is with my GZDoom somewhere and not anything in the pk3

(also do you like the levels? MAP02 isn't done, there's still tweaks to be made, but MAP01 is in a more or less finished state)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1169792020514136065
Amid Evil does seem like a decent candidate for whey-tracing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl i attempted wolf 3d a while ago and just could not deal with the (nowadays) atrocious corridor level design

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I very briefly toyed with the idea of doing a full run of Wolf3D as like an LP or stream or something but only because my brain sometimes entertains completely insane nonsense like that.

Though I will admit that I've had the same problem with Doom/2 that I've had with Wolf3D - I'm incapable of remembering how far into the game I was and instead of bothering to check my old save games I just go "gently caress it, time for E1M1" and start from scratch.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mordja posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1169792020514136065
Amid Evil does seem like a decent candidate for whey-tracing.

Oh gently caress yes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I play a level of Wolf3D once in awhile because of nostalgia, but it doesn't remotely hold up for me the way doom does.

If anything I think it kinda highlights how good Doom is, and proves that our playing of doom in 2019 is not just purely nostalgia wankery.

I would struggle to actually finish an entire episode of Wolf3D, it gets pretty dull. But I could play doom all day every day.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ6IFY79nd8

oh gently caress yes

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Icarus covers D4V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5dKzXO-ykg

edit: lol he starts by showcasing it in Baculus.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the videos are coming from inside the thread

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I really like these Whut Happen videos :)

Turin Turambar posted:

Icarus covers D4V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5dKzXO-ykg

:ninja:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Okay so, many years ago, must have been around the time Thief dropped so '96/'97, I remember seeing an ad in Computer Gaming World for a first person shooter. Here's the thing: it was called something very similar to Shadow Warrior, but the screenshot looked like an upscaled Blood II. The screenshot showed a level that looked like it took place in something like a museum, and the player was firing a one handed submachine gun. I have a distinct memory of seeing this. I've looked through every single '95, '96, and '97 issue of CGW from their archives (good lord magazines were huge back then huh???) and I didn't see it. Did I Barenstaein Bears this hallucination or did anyone else remember this? It could have been an ad for a graphics card and the screenshot was a mockup, come to think of it.

I miss those days. There was one issue that had an entire walkthrough for Thief II. Thanks guys, couldn't have completed that game without ya.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Turin Turambar posted:

Icarus covers D4V

MODS KNEW

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Okay so, many years ago, must have been around the time Thief dropped so '96/'97, I remember seeing an ad in Computer Gaming World for a first person shooter. Here's the thing: it was called something very similar to Shadow Warrior, but the screenshot looked like an upscaled Blood II. The screenshot showed a level that looked like it took place in something like a museum, and the player was firing a one handed submachine gun. I have a distinct memory of seeing this. I've looked through every single '95, '96, and '97 issue of CGW from their archives (good lord magazines were huge back then huh???) and I didn't see it. Did I Barenstaein Bears this hallucination or did anyone else remember this? It could have been an ad for a graphics card and the screenshot was a mockup, come to think of it.

I miss those days. There was one issue that had an entire walkthrough for Thief II. Thanks guys, couldn't have completed that game without ya.

Thief didn't come out until late 1998 man

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

Thief didn't come out until late 1998 man

Woah really? I thought it was '97. Hrmm. drat the two codifiers of the stealth genre came out in the same year? :eyepop:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I played the hell out of episode 1 when it was released (or close to it, whenever my local Radio Shack started selling it on compilation disks), but I only got the full version of Wolf3D waaaaaaaaaaaaay too late (like within the last 7 or so years). Played through Spear of Destiny as well, years and years ago.

I have to say, I have yet to bother to go through the other levels. At some point, Wolf3D (the original) moves to that coveted spot in one's mind where you already know and remember enough about it and can say 'yeah, I used to love it, and I respect the hell out of it' without ever bothering to play it (vanilla) again.

The problem with Wolf3D, which is completely remedied in Doom, is that there's no reason to ever go exploring. There are two guns to pick up, and everything shares the same ammo type. If you explore, there's a very good chance that you'll burn more ammo than you'll find. And if you're hurt for ammo or health, it really sucks having to do the wall hump for a pick-me-up. Doom improves this by having rare weapons and ammunition, not to mention stuff like Supercharges and other exotics.

...I mean... Wolf3D has points. Lots and lots of pointless points. :shrug:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

THE BAR posted:

The problem with Wolf3D, which is completely remedied in Doom, is that there's no reason to ever go exploring. There are two guns to pick up, and everything shares the same ammo type. If you explore, there's a very good chance that you'll burn more ammo than you'll find. And if you're hurt for ammo or health, it really sucks having to do the wall hump for a pick-me-up. Doom improves this by having rare weapons and ammunition, not to mention stuff like Supercharges and other exotics.

The 99 bullet limit was some BS

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/FPScarol/status/1170036064385323008

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm a little timid about watching youtubers I'm unfamiliar with because I have a low tolerance for youtuber bullshit, but I found Matt through one of his earlier Whut Happun videos and I became a huge fan. Mainly because he doesn't do the annoying poo poo that pisses me off and he does good research and presents it well.

If anyone here hasn't seen his stuff before, go look for his videos on DNF and Daikatana, you probably won't be disappointed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I'm a little timid about watching youtubers I'm unfamiliar with because I have a low tolerance for youtuber bullshit, but I found Matt through one of his earlier Whut Happun videos and I became a huge fan. Mainly because he doesn't do the annoying poo poo that pisses me off and he does good research and presents it well.

If anyone here hasn't seen his stuff before, go look for his videos on DNF and Daikatana, you probably won't be disappointed.

The Haze and Aliens Colonial Marines ones are great too

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

https://twitter.com/shmeemlabben/status/1169028229908324352

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Sounds like SiN which was released in 1998 and the first level took place in a bank that had lots of marble pillars like a museum.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:sbahj: I just realized the reference to this

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I never gave the Best Friends the time of day, and I regret that because their old channel was awesome and reminds me of if classic Goon LP's had still kept going. I wish Matt would relax in his narration, but all of the What Happened videos are real good.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vakal posted:

Sounds like SiN which was released in 1998 and the first level took place in a bank that had lots of marble pillars like a museum.

Oh poo poo!! Blast from the past right there!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wamdoodle posted:

:sbahj: I just realized the reference to this

I don't get it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I don't get it.

It's a four-panel comic about two people flirting. The map is a close up of the other guy's eyes, and the artist says "that's exactly it, because I keep getting lost in them".

I saw a few variants on this comic but I believe the original was about Bowser, of all characters.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

THE BAR posted:

Yeah I respect the place that Wolf 3D has in history--and played the poo poo out of it as a kid--but there's basically nothing about the game that I miss or prefer over contemporary games. A tiny arsenal that uses a single ammo pool and doesn't really encourage swapping between weapons, a ton of secrets that don't really communicate their presence in any meaningful way (so it's a bunch of wall humping), no enemy infighting, etc.

I don't know who said it (maybe it was even LGR or Civvie or Ross's Game Dungeon) but I agree with the sentiment that Blake Stone is totally a superior game in basically every single way: More enemies, vending machines, friendly NPCs...even a little more reason to rotate through some of the weapons, despite them all using the same ammo pool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm watching that Blood 2 video and... I'm not gonna lie, when the "IT'S loving RAW" clip came up I immediately thought "oh poo poo, he's doing Civvie's bit," and then it immediately freeze-framed so Civvie could cameo and I lost it

(don't mouse over that if you haven't watched the video, this is worth not spoiling)

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

My friend, all issues of CGW are available for your perusal. I had a similar "did I hallucinate this game" thing, and found it here: http://www.cgwmuseum.org/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cat Mattress posted:

I saw a few variants on this comic but I believe the original was about Bowser, of all characters.
Not quite.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mordja posted:

Not quite.

What.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I don't like mocking that guy because he's, as far as I know, super harmless and it just feels like mocking ulilililililillliililia or something.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I respect the place that Wolf 3D has in history--and played the poo poo out of it as a kid--but there's basically nothing about the game that I miss or prefer over contemporary games. A tiny arsenal that uses a single ammo pool and doesn't really encourage swapping between weapons, a ton of secrets that don't really communicate their presence in any meaningful way (so it's a bunch of wall humping), no enemy infighting, etc.

I don't know who said it (maybe it was even LGR or Civvie or Ross's Game Dungeon) but I agree with the sentiment that Blake Stone is totally a superior game in basically every single way: More enemies, vending machines, friendly NPCs...even a little more reason to rotate through some of the weapons, despite them all using the same ammo pool.
I slogged through Wolf3D a year or two ago to say that I’ve done it and yeah, there’s not much reason to go back to it. I only have nostalgia for the shareware episode anyway.

The only things it has over (vanilla) Doom on a technical level are pushwalls and patrolling enemies. Pushwalls would have been a pain back in ‘93 with how the engine works, but patrolling enemies could have worked virtually identically...

I guess demons wouldn’t really “patrol” but I think it would have led to some cool stuff over the years if it had been part of the base game. The DeHackEd tricks alone would probably have been legendary; in a different universe Batman Doom has a highway full of driving cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Vakal posted:

Hmm I love me some SiN but I don't think that was it, I remember being super hyped for SiN (but my dad convinced me to get Half-Life instead). The screenshot had a more modern weapon in the player's hands and it looked like the enemies were....tactical ninja? Honestly this might just be my subconscious telling me to finally get around to making my own throwback boomer shooter.

SavageMessiah posted:

My friend, all issues of CGW are available for your perusal. I had a similar "did I hallucinate this game" thing, and found it here: http://www.cgwmuseum.org/

Yeah that's where I was lookin, but I'm gonna spend the next few weeks going through the entire archive between '95 and '99 in case it's sandwiched in there somewhere, and also for the weapons grade nostalgia. What game were you looking for?

Mordja posted:

Not quite.