Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Verizian posted:

Except they can just hold a vote for contempt of parliament and implement their own penalty. He's not breaking an old "law" on the books with a fixed penalty, he's going against a parliamentary vote.

Yeah I wonder how this would work in practice, especially given the tight timings and whatnot. It would be insanely dumb for Bojo to just ignore the act that was just passed, so it wouldn't surprise anyone if he did just that. But then what would happen? Would parliament need to vote on what to do? Which options are there? Throw Bojo in jail? Someone else would go to Brussels... but who? Would any of these options get a majority in parliament? Also, doesn't the whole thing get prorogued like on Thursday anyway?

Maybe it would go to the courts instead. But is it likely that the courts would decide to order Bojo to go to Brussels etc? If not, what could they do? Make someone else prime minister, perhaps just temporarily?

The whole thing still has so much potential to be a total clusterfuck, since even if the system works and comes up with decent solutions, there are no off-the-shelf solutions here and it might take a whole bunch of time to undo whatever stupid bullshit Bojo will emit.

Edit: oh shizzle, have a topical cat:

jaete fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you're seriousposting, this should either be in e/n or it should be something you discuss with your therapist.

They posted extensively about how their therapist gave up on them because they were unable to engage.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Sometimes, on days where I feel like I've not achieved anything, I take a step back and do a pee pee into the toilet. Each time this feeling takes over me, I take a further step back and then do a pee pee into the toilet, ensuring that I have achieved at least one goal.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Wait this forum has a place I can mope about my life?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SpidermansPointing.jpg

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
AoF posts the same poo poo in the USPOL thread, too. Dude needs time away from the keyboard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I just can't seem to square the circle set forth by society. On one hand scores of well intentioned therapists say "love yourself! You are good enough" and on the other everyone else says "Do CrossFit! Enjoy your job! Don't just do what you're told, go above and beyond! Travel! Make lots of friends! Try out new careers! Try! IMPROVE! WORK! WHY ARE YOU DOING NOTHING? What do you mean you say at home and browsed the internet all weekend for the 3rd month straight? You think "free" time is for doing nothing? DO SOMETHING!" I do nothing with my free time, I get afraid of trying because people will no I did nothing and the cycle repeats. Am I supposed to just ignore it and risk further ostracism? My job as a computer touched is the only thing I have. And yet it's not enough?

Have you entertained the possibility that some of the information you receive is correct and some of it is not and that you must apply your brain and make a decision about which is which?

Because yes, you will get conflicting ideas presented to you.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

I just can't seem to square the circle set forth by society. On one hand scores of well intentioned therapists say "love yourself! You are good enough" and on the other everyone else says "Do CrossFit! Enjoy your job! Don't just do what you're told, go above and beyond! Travel! Make lots of friends! Try out new careers! Try! IMPROVE! WORK! WHY ARE YOU DOING NOTHING? What do you mean you say at home and browsed the internet all weekend for the 3rd month straight? You think "free" time is for doing nothing? DO SOMETHING!" I do nothing with my free time, I get afraid of trying because people will no I did nothing and the cycle repeats. Am I supposed to just ignore it and risk further ostracism? My job as a computer touched is the only thing I have. And yet it's not enough?

As above, probably better off in e/n, but yes there's a contradiction between what a therapist will tell you about self care and self improvement for your mental well-being and what Anglo-American culture, including goons, will tell you about the 'need' for self improvement. Freud said we live in a diseased society and it's only got worse since then.

That said, there are places you can find where there is healthy self improvement and spirituality in the absence of the prevailing set of capitalist values.

You sound more like you might have severe anxiety issues as opposed to autism based on this, which is fair enough: anxiety is also a malaise of late capitalism.

The best way forward in my experience of anxiety issues is to take it slowly, as you won't solve all of your problems at once. You can have success with women and still be anxious, so that in itself won't help. The best thing to do is focus on factors which are inside your control. What will make you feel a bit better? As you chip away at the lack of a sense of agency which is really the core of many anxieties you might find success in other areas comes naturally. Or you might not. But either way you will feel happier.

But yeah, please go to a therapist as they will be able to help with your specific set of problems.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Azza Bamboo posted:

Wait this forum has a place I can mope about my life?

Within limits. Internet forums are not a substitute for therapy or medications.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

AoF posts the same poo poo in the USPOL thread, too. Dude needs time away from the keyboard.

He posts the same poo poo in literally every thread he participates in, and has done for years. Dude really needs a threadban - he's a parasite with an unhealthy, obsessive lust for validation who does nothing but try to divert conversations towards himself and make other people as miserable as he is.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Within limits. Internet forums are not a substitute for therapy or medications.

Now you tell me!

E: lol my av!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JFC stop putting so much loving value on what other people think, you're a goddamned adult, if you want to spend you weekend sat in your pants shitposting all over the internet just loving do it. No one actually cares.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rust Martialis posted:

If he's complaining about learning Danish, I do have sympathy
He's learning the language of our evil twins, the Dutch.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

My balls itch

Don't @ me

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Kaveman posted:

Sometimes, on days where I feel like I've not achieved anything, I take a step back and do a pee pee into the toilet. Each time this feeling takes over me, I take a further step back and then do a pee pee into the toilet, ensuring that I have achieved at least one goal.

a rousing game of toilet artillery, or GORILLA.PIS, is a wonderful way to start your morning off

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I spend most of my life sat in less than my underwear and shitposting on the internet and I'm having a whale of a time.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I managed to learn Dutch since living here. Danish is just moon-language throat-singing.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Shitposting gets me through my unemployment

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just heard someone describe Corbyn as

quote:

extreme quasi Stalin-apologist old school Leftist

An extreme quasi something. Interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If there's one thing Corbyn really doesn't appear to be it's a tankie. Mcdonnel might be but Corbyn is like, quite possibly the least stalinist you can possibly be.

Which, like, OK if you're just calling him a stalinist for fun, but quasi stalin apologist is way more specific.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

AceOfFlames posted:

The latter is my point. Call me cynical but I have come to believe that the vast majority of people don't want equality outside of a few blessed souls. People will always want some criteria to judge against. What I dreamed of is a world in which no action that doesn't hurt others is judged. But I fear it's biologically impossible. Humans will exclude, oppress and shun to the end of time. Maybe that's why I am such an empty shell. I want to live a life that cannot be judged.

God drat you're a wet blanket pal

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bobstar posted:

I managed to learn Dutch since living here. Danish is just moon-language throat-singing.
No one said being good was easy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If there's one thing Corbyn really doesn't appear to be it's a tankie. Mcdonnel might be but Corbyn is like, quite possibly the least stalinist you can possibly be.

Which, like, OK if you're just calling him a stalinist for fun, but quasi stalin apologist is way more specific.
Quasi Stalin did nothing wrong.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

AceOfFlames posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why do you do this to yourself?

https://twitter.com/MattTurner4L/status/1169665924040994816

Boris can't catch a breath.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
does anyone have any good rules of thumb for when it's acceptable to snap and go 'stop your goddamn whinging and do something about your problems'

because i used to do it too soon, caught hell for it, and now i reckon i bite my tongue for way too long

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Why do you do this to yourself?

https://twitter.com/MattTurner4L/status/1169665924040994816

Boris can't catch a breath.

AOF does it because he wants everyone in the thread to drop everything and start fussing over him. It's pretty gross.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You should try learning Finnish if you want something actually difficult

My workplace is like 50% immigrants and apparently this poo poo is loving impossible to learn.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Just in case it came across wrong, I think there are Excellent Posters with MH issues and Excellent Posts about same. Not naming and shaming but a lot of stuff shared resonates and I'm silently cheering people on as they grapple with the black dog of depression.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Darth Walrus posted:

AOF does it because he wants everyone in the thread to drop everything and start fussing over him. It's pretty gross.

this post is loving disgusting, and I hope you'll take the time to educate yourself as to why that is.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Darth Walrus posted:

- does nothing
- wants to be center of attention
- marks every new thread to try and make it his

Is AceOfFlames a cat?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Andrast posted:

You should try learning Finnish if you want something actually difficult

My workplace is like 50% immigrants and apparently this poo poo is loving impossible to learn.

Well it's not completely impossible, an acquaintance of mine has spent 20 years living in Finland and speaks Finnish like 97% perfectly. Of course most of this time they also spent studying languages at uni, like grammar and stuff for 5-10 different languages, which might explain why it was so easy to learn for them

Edit: if you know any other language, or 5-10 other languages, it doesn't help with Finnish at all (unless you know Estonian). But you might be able to understand formal explanations of grammar and whatever a bit better

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do they murder words too like the Danes:
- g is frequently silent
- r is more like a h
- t is frequently an l
- d is frequently like you had a mini-stroke
- k is g
- etc.

All of the above are true except when they're not. "You just have to know."

Random words stolen from french break all these rules, FYI.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Bobstar posted:

Danish is just incoherently mumbled moon-language throat-singing.

Fixt

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Is Dutch the one that sounds like someone clearing their throat and rasping all the time? I remember hearing something like that in Amsterdam

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

In my experience everyone in Amsterdam just speaks English.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pochoclo posted:

Is Dutch the one that sounds like someone clearing their throat and rasping all the time? I remember hearing something like that in Amsterdam

That's probably just the 'kh' sounds. It exists in other languages like Hebrew and Arabic as well.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

(insert terrible political metaphor here)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

coffeetable posted:

does anyone have any good rules of thumb for when it's acceptable to snap and go 'stop your goddamn whinging and do something about your problems'

because i used to do it too soon, caught hell for it, and now i reckon i bite my tongue for way too long

It's after someone posts a response to the first breakdown, AoF goes :hmmyes: and then five minutes later he's back posting another whinerant having learned nothing.

It's the second round you gotta wait for because then they're clearly just taking the piss, if you pop off in response to the first one you're going to get people calling you a dick

Likewise for anyone who comes in asking naive or seemingly trollish questions, it doesn't cost much to give them the benefit of the doubt for that first question, but it's also reasonable to shut it down if they just keep disengaging after that.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 7, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apraxin posted:

(insert terrible political metaphor here)

So that's what it takes to make boris look normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

That's <german noises>

English is somewhat odd in that despite being a germanic language it doesn't inherit a lot of the really good german noises, too much romance influence.

Also re: danish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk