Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

So that's what it takes to make boris look normal.

Hate to break it to you, but Boris is the one on the right.

Edit: Catte avatar for cat tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NewMars posted:

Hate to break it to you, but Boris is the one on the right.

Edit: Catte avatar for cat tax.

He still looks more normal than the guy from the ministry of agriculture and (due to budget cuts) silly walks.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Verizian posted:

Gonna need a location on google maps. Tempted to go out with an old pair of underwear and a staplegun.

Shellness beach, at the far eastern end of Sheppey.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

this post is loving disgusting, and I hope you'll take the time to educate yourself as to why that is.

Trust me when I say that I know what I'm talking about. AOF is absolutely not just your regular depressed dude. He's an addict feeding off the forum who's been rejecting every attempt to improve his life for years. Check his post history, and you'll start seeing the usual cycle soon enough.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

OwlFancier posted:

That's <german noises>

English is somewhat odd in that despite being a germanic language it doesn't inherit a lot of the really good german noises, too much romance influence.

Also re: danish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

I still get messages from angry danes for uploading that video :D

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

When I began my latest course of therapy that was the first thing I asked. I ended up maxing out my health insurance deductible in an extended test that claimed I am not.
First of all, Jesus Christ that's awful and I don't care if the rest of your country is used to it, your healthcare system is ridiculous.

The UK isn't great either - I was diagnosed last year at the grand old age of 39, after almost a year on a waiting list to see the charity organisation to whom the NHS have outsourced diagnosis. To their credit though they did a pretty thorough day's diagnosis going into family history, with one person asking me questions / running tests and the other observing me.

Ultimately I look at it as an answer to a question I have had my whole life. It was encapsulated by 'What the gently caress is wrong with me,' but contained such diverse branches as 'Why can I never tell when someone is interested in me, either as a friend or as more,' 'Why am I so bad at handling stress' and 'Why can't I tune out background noise.'

The few people I've trusted enough to talk about it sometimes say things like "Oh, but everyone is a bit like that on the inside." Yes, but not everybody has been unemployed for coming up on 7 years, and for most of their adult life before that. In the end it comes down to whether those issues are enough to impact the functionality of your life and in your case, it sounds like they are.

I can't offer any advice on if you are likely to have autism, because my entire condition revolves around being bad at reading people. I can however advise you to do the AQ50 test, which is a recognised test and puts your score ranging from 'this person is very unlikely to have autism' all the way up to 'it is a miracle that this person is speaking to you right now.'

You could take the results to your doctor but I have no idea how that would impact on your insurance or whatever.

AceOfFlames posted:

I do think said test was kind of suspect though. There was an entire "recognizing emotions" section which consisted of photos of a guy making the hammiest most exaggerated facial expressions ever and being asked what he was feeling. There wasn't any apparent test of social interaction either. If that was a test for autism, it would probably only pick up on the lost low functioning cases.
This is one of the unfortunate things about Asperger Syndrome Disorder getting rolled into HFA. A lot of Autism diagnoses revolve around if you're visibly struggling, whereas one of the things that used to typify ASD was that people would appear to have adapted externally, but still faced huge internal difficulties.

So the adult ASD testing allowed for people who had developed coping strategies to avoid or hide situations they found difficult, whereas now it's up front questions like 'can you look people in the eye while talking to them' and doesn't take into account answers like "I have learned that other people seem to need that to establish trust, but man I can not concentrate on anything I am thinking if I do." It seems designed for children who have not yet learned coping mechanisms to hide their difficulties.

The entire 'high functioning' label is problematic as gently caress anyway because it's anecdotally attributed to a doctor who wanted to save autistic people from nazi purges, so he invented a benchmark which was essentially 'these ones can live because they can pretend to be ok,' and they pretty much just had to keep their poo poo together in front of the nazis not to get culled.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Interesting day of canvassing around Pimlico and Victoria - most interesting thing is that there are dodgy 50s council estates literally just around the corner from the Tate, who knew?

Anyway, the other interesting thing is that of the hundred or so doors I knocked on only one person even mentioned Europe or Brexit, most people were complaining about youth crime, the terrible local doctors surgery, and the local housing authority who sound lovely even by HA standards. Obviously these are all slam dunks for Labour, but depressingly most of the people raising them admitted that they weren't registered to vote or just didn't vote. Quite a few seemed receptive to the idea that they *did* have a chance to change something (Labour were only 3k votes behind the Tories in 2017), but who knows if it will stick?

The one guy who mentioned Brexit also droned on about Labour needing to be a broad church and freely admitted to voting Tory in 2017 so I just stabbed him and got on with my day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My tory stabbing zombie knife hasn't come in the post yet, sadiq's really slacking.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Andrast posted:

You should try learning Finnish if you want something actually difficult

My workplace is like 50% immigrants and apparently this poo poo is loving impossible to learn.

Any excuse to post one of my favourite language things ever

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AceOfFlames posted:

I just can't seem to square the circle set forth by society. On one hand scores of well intentioned therapists say "love yourself! You are good enough" and on the other everyone else says "Do CrossFit! Enjoy your job! Don't just do what you're told, go above and beyond! Travel! Make lots of friends! Try out new careers! Try! IMPROVE! WORK! WHY ARE YOU DOING NOTHING? What do you mean you say at home and browsed the internet all weekend for the 3rd month straight? You think "free" time is for doing nothing? DO SOMETHING!" I do nothing with my free time, I get afraid of trying because people will no I did nothing and the cycle repeats. Am I supposed to just ignore it and risk further ostracism? My job as a computer touched is the only thing I have. And yet it's not enough?

Mate I hate to break it to you but this is both beyond our remit to fix and also you seem to loathe other people because you believe they are shaming you because you keep saying your sad. People are trying to offer help in some way and there will be a lot of conflicting advice, so why not try, and see how it goes. If you can't do that, and whilst a stumbling block it isn't fatal, I'd look into therapy at the same time.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Wait this forum has a place I can mope about my life?

I mean technically it's everywhere, but yeah E/N is often hilarious but also the best bet for a lot of folks stuck in that particular well.

OwlFancier posted:

Have you entertained the possibility that some of the information you receive is correct and some of it is not and that you must apply your brain and make a decision about which is which?

Because yes, you will get conflicting ideas presented to you.

Mhm, this. The objective should then be to try things and see if any one of them helps. If it does, then do it more/ integrate it into your life.

coffeetable posted:

does anyone have any good rules of thumb for when it's acceptable to snap and go 'stop your goddamn whinging and do something about your problems'

because i used to do it too soon, caught hell for it, and now i reckon i bite my tongue for way too long

It's all a matter of degrees. Remember that you could always be both right and an arsehole.

Also this is why I responded how I did a few nights ago, I am always a bit worried about making the thread the Josef show. This isn't meant to be a thing against you posting Ace, but it might be something to bear in mind!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The difference is you actually post good in between rough patches and it's different to help a friend out than it is to have someone who does nothing but "what if good things are actually bad because I'm a perennial fuckup"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bobstar posted:

Any excuse to post one of my favourite language things ever

Is this some tonal language stuff that doesnt transcribe well? Or does Finnish rely entirely on context to determine whether or not a spruce is on fire?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is this some tonal language stuff that doesnt transcribe well? Or does Finnish rely entirely on context to determine whether or not a spruce is on fire?

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Dear lord:

https://twitter.com/Chops8592/status/1170007793706917888

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Kuusi palaa.
Kuusi palaa.
Kuusi palaa.
Kuusi palaa.
We don't need no Kuusi let the motherfucker burn
Kuusi motherfucker burn

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Why is the audio in all these right wing 'comedy' videos always so bad?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Miftan posted:

Why is the audio in all these right wing 'comedy' videos always so bad?

It's the same reason the first thing they accuse leftists of is being funded folks and just taking the money. It's because they are paying themselves and their mates silly money from some loving billionaire in order to poo poo out something in 10 mins.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Josef: take it from me at least, that in spite of your problems, it's is clear to me you are a decent likeable person who wants to be better. And I think we all respect you for that tremendously. We all have a much higher opinion of you than I feel you do of yourself, but then self-criticism is a well one falls into. We all listen to your worries with love and respect for the person typing them. It is a pleasure to remind you you are a good person who has won admiration from all of us for your patient struggles with life and your continued successes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

No tonal stuff. Finnish pronunciation is extremely simple with pretty much everything being pronounced just like it's written.

With that spruce stuff it would indeed be context based (or just adding something that makes it clearer)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

^^ Yeah that :)

Finn and Finn-adjacent goons please correct me, but I believe it's entirely context, as I think Finnish pronunciation is very regular and sensible. So I think those all sound the same, but have possibly been formed into the same shape as each other from different roots.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/RuairiWood/status/1170298795218874368

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Josef: take it from me at least, that in spite of your problems, it's is clear to me you are a decent likeable person who wants to be better. And I think we all respect you for that tremendously. We all have a much higher opinion of you than I feel you do of yourself, but then self-criticism is a well one falls into. We all listen to your worries with love and respect for the person typing them. It is a pleasure to remind you you are a good person who has won admiration from all of us for your patient struggles with life and your continued successes.

OwlFancier posted:

The difference is you actually post good in between rough patches and it's different to help a friend out than it is to have someone who does nothing but "what if good things are actually bad because I'm a perennial fuckup"

Thanks folks, it is very appreciated. But let's get back to our scheduling of making GBS threads on Tories.

Like this. There is always going to be something cathartic about this, especially when don cummings is just being continually laughed at by everyone.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its very funny that in a dance as old as time the people who made up the line about corbyn being a stupid evil man who wants an election above all else began to beleive it and hosed themselves

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rust Martialis posted:

Do they murder words too like the Danes:

- r is more like a h
- t is frequently an l
That doesn't sound right to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hentai Jihadist posted:

its very funny that in a dance as old as time the people who made up the line about corbyn being a stupid evil man who wants an election above all else began to beleive it and hosed themselves

Also a somewhat accelerated microcosm of the neoliberal problem in general.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That doesn't sound right to me.

But enough about the danish language.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Dumb American here. Why are so many torries so keen on crashing out of the EU? Is it a grift where they get paid by selling off public institutions to American companies or something?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I mean I do feel very weird that this keeps happening, as I don't think I've seen this happen on the left as much. Can anyone provide good examples of it because it must have been done in the past.

Jealous Cow posted:

Dumb American here. Why are so many torries so keen on crashing out of the EU? Is it a grift where they get paid by selling off public institutions to American companies or something?

Partially, but there has been an easy well to go to get votes from the Right Wing in this country and it has been going "EUREAUCRATS" in every newspaper. This has played out for years alongside some Disaster-Capitalist elements and some Pro-European elements within the party. The grifters though have grabbed full hold of the party and are now reliant on the famously servile Tory party to just back them in public even whilst sharpening the knives in private.

The problem is that for the first time in a very long time the Tory fighting has gone from just "briefing the papers against the leader" to "Civil war".

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 7, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

If you mean line Tory party members, they want to make the British Empire Great Again. No, I'm not even kidding.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jealous Cow posted:

Russian companies but yes basically

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

Yup.
Most of them are members of company boards, they are the US's versions of lobbyists in a sense.
Would bet that most have all their shares in US chemical companies at the moment, waiting for that big day 1 spike to sell off.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Josef bugman posted:

I mean I do feel very weird that this keeps happening, as I don't think I've seen this happen on the left as much. Can anyone provide good examples of it because it must have been done in the past.

there probably are smaller versions of it on the left but the right controls the media, or at least all the shitrags and their new BBC aquisition

so i think the cosy bubble of politicians and media means the media report what the politicians tell them but then in turn the politicians get their info from the media which just results in a loop where no real information can penetrate outside of crises

politicians were already very cosy with the media after blair and osbourne set out specifically to make the tory government completely inseperable from the media, then naturally went into papers himself, so its amplified an existing problem.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Josef bugman posted:

Umberto Eco's essays on fascism talk about this. Fascism's greatest weakness is that the fascists get so caught up in contradictory emotional narratives that they are *incapable* of accurately evaluating their enemies.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks chaps! Glad to see it’s just same poo poo, different country.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

marktheando posted:

In my experience everyone in Amsterdam just speaks English.

Pochoclo posted:

Is Dutch the one that sounds like someone clearing their throat and rasping all the time? I remember hearing something like that in Amsterdam

Both of these posts are correct. The horrifying part is that the disgusting painful sounding throat clearing noise is how they pronounce the letter G. I can only figure that the Netherlands was once colonised by Klingons, because nobody completely human can pronounce Van Gogh "properly".

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

HorseLord posted:

Both of these posts are correct. The horrifying part is that the disgusting painful sounding throat clearing noise is how they pronounce the letter G. I can only figure that the Netherlands was once colonised by Klingons, because nobody completely human can pronounce Van Gogh "properly".

The antisemitic left rears its head again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Umberto Eco's essays on fascism talk about this. Fascism's greatest weakness is that the fascists get so caught up in contradictory emotional narratives that they are *incapable* of accurately evaluating their enemies.

It's not just fascists either (yeah yeah I know liberals are fascists whatever) but it also applies to the end of history idea. A whole lot of people were formed under that environment and it only takes one generation to completely forget the foundation of the environment they lived in. See also: boomers.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/dirk1978/status/1170270081223462912
https://twitter.com/dirk1978/status/1170270548544434176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

The antisemitic left rears its head again.

Also yes Hebrew has an actual letter for that noise though it's present in most germanic languages.