Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

Also yes Hebrew has an actual letter for that noise though it's present in most germanic languages.

It's an upside down u! - ח :eng101:

Arabic has it too. It's pretty standard in semitic languages in general.

122 is the number for the po-po in Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

HorseLord posted:

Both of these posts are correct. The horrifying part is that the disgusting painful sounding throat clearing noise is how they pronounce the letter G. I can only figure that the Netherlands was once colonised by Klingons, because nobody completely human can pronounce Van Gogh "properly".

If you ever feel like you're getting to grips with the language, you can always humble yourself by trying to correctly pronounce the name of famous Dutch beer Grolsch.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

If you ever feel like you're getting to grips with the language, you can always humble yourself by trying to correctly pronounce the name of famous Dutch beer Grolsch.

I know a Dutch dude who ordered that in the UK - with correct pronunciation - and got given a Carling that was probably accompanied by an eye roll.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

So, even after the worst start ever as PM the tories are still massively ahead in the polls.

This loving country man.

I blame the yellow tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

It's an upside down u! - ח :eng101:

Arabic has it too. It's pretty standard in semitic languages in general.

122 is the number for the po-po in Egypt.
I did wonder whether the noise in Modern Hebrew came from the Germanic sound or Semitic sound. Like Hebrew has the distinction of being both an ancient liturgical language and also a modern revival language constructed mostly by Yiddish speakers from central and eastern Europe and Arabic speaking Jews in Palestine.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I did wonder whether the noise in Modern Hebrew came from the Germanic sound or Semitic sound. Like Hebrew has the distinction of being both an ancient liturgical language and also a modern revival language constructed mostly by Yiddish speakers from central and eastern Europe and Arabic speaking Jews in Palestine.

Probably the semitic sound. The language was still spoken for prayers and stuff AFAIK, just wasn't used for every day things because the biblical version is a pain in the rear end. The letters and the sounds probably predate the modern Germanic sound though and has been kept 'in use' as it were through reading the bible.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It exists in some slavic languages too, it's more the romance and perfidious brit languages that have a problem with it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

HorseLord posted:

Both of these posts are correct. The horrifying part is that the disgusting painful sounding throat clearing noise is how they pronounce the letter G. I can only figure that the Netherlands was once colonised by Klingons, because nobody completely human can pronounce Van Gogh "properly".

Yep, and they blend something like it into the "sch" as well (which the Germans pronounce more sensibly, roughly like English "sh"), pronouncing it a bit like "s", then "crazy throat sounds".

Vandaag ga ik graag met Geert naar Schiphol en Scheveningen om genoeg grappige groentjes te gooien!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

notaspy posted:

So, even after the worst start ever as PM the tories are still massively ahead in the polls.

This loving country man.

I don't know how much polling has been done this week but I'd expect the Tory vote to hold up for the next month because the death cultists think that he's going to just not extend A50 somehow.

Glad someone did this.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

notaspy posted:

This loving country man.

They were before the last election too, and that one lead to the biggest swing to Labour in half a century

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean we've seen before that polling has both a lag and the fact that a lot of folks are just convinced that whatever choice you make its a good one. This is what being middle class is like.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bobstar posted:

Vandaag ga ik graag met Geert naar Schiphol en Scheveningen om genoeg grappige groentjes te gooien!

I swear, I can almost read that crap and have it make sense, but it's just outside my grasp. It's infuriating. Like someone writing really really obscure dialect from some fuckin valley in the middle ages.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh I assure you I am real. I just dump the thoughts I don't dare express here because I believe the people on this forum are the most aware of the troubles facing the world and thus are the best equipped to understand where I am coming from and thus come to a solution.

I mean, I cannot just go up to the people I know in real life and go "Hi, I am AoF. I am 32, never had any romantic relationship, have a grand total of one friend who lives across the continent, all other friends I have can be counted in one hand and eventually almost moved even further away and broke contact, have no hobbies because I arrive home too tired to do anything, have sought therapy 4 times and nothing worked, live in a country where even though I have completed courses all the way to B1 level still can't speak the language and barely understand it because I have no one to talk to, took 9 years to complete a 5 year degree in something I hate and live in perpetual fear of getting fired. I also live in fear that I am mugged, which I have been repeatedly meaning I have never vacationed anywhere without my parents and thing everything is meaningless since I fear society will collapse in the next 10 years". I'd be sent to an asylum, laughed at or beaten up, especially since the events of the past few years have conclusively proven that most people are shallow low key sociopaths.

To be honest, since you decided to dump this on a public forum, in a thread about politics, I'm cautiously guessing we would also like to sent you to an asylum, because hot drat.

On the other hand, we weirdos on the internet surely can't just drive on the information super-highway to your house/apartment and drag you bodily to the next mental health institute, like the people you know in real life theoretically could. So maybe this therapy by internet you're doing will work out for you? I sincerely hope it does, at least.

Since I only had one module on psychology and communication at university I can't really help you, but I have two tips for things you've mentioned, based on my life experience:

-Walking for fitness works, as long as you walk at least 6 hours a week. A combination of biking and running works better, and according to my doctor you will only need 3-4 hours of exercise a week to stay healthy.

-If learning a language is troubling you, even though you expend a lot of effort, seek novels or books you like in the language you want to learn. Start with using a good one-way dictionary for [target language - your language], as this will help you think in the language you are learning. Don't give up and work your way through the novels. After a couple of books, learning should become easier, after that it's just about understanding the grammar well enough you can ace tests, the feeling for the language will already be there and help you. After a couple years, you won't even need the dictionary anymore, only an occasional trip to a translation website to explain a particular strange new word.

Namtab posted:

My message to ace of flames is thus.

Take it to e/n, nobody here cares about your incel bullshit. This certainly doesn't belong in the uk politics thread.

Also good advice. AOF, take note!

AceOfFlames posted:

I just can't seem to square the circle set forth by society. On one hand scores of well intentioned therapists say "love yourself! You are good enough" and on the other everyone else says "Do CrossFit! Enjoy your job! Don't just do what you're told, go above and beyond! Travel! Make lots of friends! Try out new careers! Try! IMPROVE! WORK! WHY ARE YOU DOING NOTHING? What do you mean you say at home and browsed the internet all weekend for the 3rd month straight? You think "free" time is for doing nothing? DO SOMETHING!" I do nothing with my free time, I get afraid of trying because people will no I did nothing and the cycle repeats. Am I supposed to just ignore it and risk further ostracism? My job as a computer touched is the only thing I have. And yet it's not enough?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Holy poo poo, welp that certainly doesn't belong here, but let me try to help again. After all, I have 6 months of psychology education so I should be awesome at this!

1. Get a good smartphone and a nice data plan
2. Get out of your home and browse the internet while you're doing other things, like I dunno, walking in the forest? Hiking in a nearby mountain?
3. After you feel better about yourself, get a pet. Preferentially one that takes lots of work to care for.
4. Now you fit in perfect with society and if someone asks what you're doing in your free time, just fill it with stories about long forest walks and pet care.
5. Everyone will secretly think you're awesome but also avoid your tedious, boring stories. Double-victory!

And now this case is closed and we can turn back to the shitshow of British politics forever. :colbert:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

How is Grolsch pronounced correctly?

I used to go over to the Netherlands at Christmas because our Brussels Sprout supplier was based there and we used to supply supermarkets a few sprouts at Christmas.

They were just outside Rotterdam, went there a few times while I should have been working and wandered around the town all the time. Bought 8 bottles of Grolsch Kanon (or something like that) for about 7 euros and got absolutely hammered.

It was a nice tasty beer too.

Very strong.

Didn't go look at Sprouts very early the next day.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Gort posted:

They were before the last election too, and that one lead to the biggest swing to Labour in half a century

I agree things cam change very quickly but expecting lightning to strike twice is a bold move when most of the swing came from Corbyn being a decent bloke and not having suffered 3 years of character assassination.

This was more a statement on how bone headed the people in this country are and how we need to make sure we are not drawn to deeply into the Westminster bubble, which is mostly ignored outside of nerds like us.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

It isn't :v:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

notaspy posted:

I agree things cam change very quickly but expecting lightning to strike twice is a bold move when most of the swing came from Corbyn being a decent bloke and not having suffered 3 years of character assassination.

This was more a statement on how bone headed the people in this country are and how we need to make sure we are not drawn to deeply into the Westminster bubble, which is mostly ignored outside of nerds like us.

to be quite fair, the only thing people are expecting to happen twice is that labour runs a much stronger campaign than the tories and their policies are popular, which is quite likely

besides now bojo is the extreme stalinist candidate so we'll see how easily he wins this

*bojo wins GE easily from within the tower of london*

ah! well, nevertheless

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Dead Goon posted:

Roughly the same as trying to pronounce "grouse" immediately after being punched in the face.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Nice piece of fish posted:

I swear, I can almost read that crap and have it make sense, but it's just outside my grasp. It's infuriating. Like someone writing really really obscure dialect from some fuckin valley in the middle ages.

German speaker?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Meanwhile at Stormont there was a big march

deary me whats all this about then

https://twitter.com/skydavidblevins/status/1170126653831503873

yes yes indeed

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kustomkarkommando posted:

Meanwhile at Stormont there was a big march

deary me whats all this about then

https://twitter.com/skydavidblevins/status/1170126653831503873

yes yes indeed

There's no fucker in there to see them :laugh:

I'm sure the security guards and cleaners were very impressed.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So if Johnson advises the queen to refuse royal assent on the anti-no-deal bill, or if he refuses to ask for an extension at the EU summit, is there still parliamentary time before Brexit day to do anything about it?

The idea of Bercow sending Boris to the tower is very funny but I don't for a moment believe it would actually happen if Boris refused to ask for an extension.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

"Heineken"

(advice only applies in the Netherlands - I assume the cat's piss they export to us is some sort of retribution for the Anglo-Dutch Wars)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it slightly weird that the NI government meets in a building with grounds that look like they were designed by Vauban.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

There's no fucker in there to see them :laugh:

I'm sure the security guards and cleaners were very impressed.

I wonder if the IT guys are still there.
The top floor used to be base for the IT for all councils and departments.
I was given a tour there in 98, but I heard they were being kicked out as the incoming assembly saw how lavish the IT offices were and wanted them for themselves.
Servers were going to be housed in temp rentacabins until a newer place was found from what I heard.
Not sure if they did this or not.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I find it slightly weird that the NI government meets in a building with grounds that look like they were designed by Vauban.

You can find that style all over NI and maybe Ireland.
When the big landowners constructed their own mansions, they were usually like this, so they could 'look' over their domain.
And to make sure those that can see the house know whose in charge.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

marktheando posted:

So if Johnson advises the queen to refuse royal assent on the anti-no-deal bill, or if he refuses to ask for an extension at the EU summit, is there still parliamentary time before Brexit day to do anything about it?

The idea of Bercow sending Boris to the tower is very funny but I don't for a moment believe it would actually happen if Boris refused to ask for an extension.

Parliament comes back on the 14th October, I'm not entirely sure how the FTPA works but in theory if Corbyn got enough support he could become PM after a VONC even if they have to wait until the end of the 14 days "make a new government" period before he's allowed to do prime minister things.

This is just about the only way I could see the LDs etc support a temporary Corbyn government and it still seems very doubtful

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Assembly IT still have offices on one of the higher floors (renovated, don't know if it's the top) but the other departments and council's run their own stuff elsewhere afiak (servers are not in rentakabins, lol if they were)

clear eyes full farts fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 7, 2019

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
let's just give northern ireland back to ireland??

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

They basically built the parliament building in the grounds of a stately home (known as the Castle because it was redesigned in the late 19th century to look like one) which was previously the official residency of the PM (of NI), then the HQ of the NIO and now houses the Executive office. The actually surrounding estate is pretty big

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

See I have been to so many of those loving country piles that I could have sworn I knew that one.

Why is it that all of these drat places look the same.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Gasmask posted:

We're an economic sinkhole. The South doesn't want us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been to places with similar big lawns but I've never been to one that had so much lawn it starts to look more like a killzone on an 18th century fort.

Like motherfucker plant a tree or something god drat.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gasmask posted:

You broke it, you fix it.
With loads of napalm preferably.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Private Speech posted:

It exists in some slavic languages too, it's more the romance and perfidious brit languages that have a problem with it.

Phonemes are the new patriotism

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Russian companies but yes basically

It seems more like some bizarre death wish to me. It really reminds me of the crowds in 1914 rapturously cheering the beginning of WW1 and eagerly lining up at the recruiting offices for the Western Front meatgrinder.

It's a symptom of some deep sickness in our society imo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always wonder what would have happened if Britain hasn't bothered with WWI.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

It seems more like some bizarre death wish to me. It really reminds me of the crowds in 1914 rapturously cheering the beginning of WW1 and eagerly lining up at the recruiting offices for the Western Front meatgrinder.

It's a symptom of some deep sickness in our society imo.

It's because the only action many people know to fill the void within them is violence and the hope that in some way, they will die to. Not all of "them" but the "them" they don't like. The idea of cleansing, of purging of making oneself clean is a big thing for people and one of the only ways that gets channelled is into warfare. Nevermind that violence hurts the wielder too, people just want to go "back" to "before".

It's saddening, maddening and dispiriting, but its not all that there is.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

happyhippy posted:

You can find that style all over NI and maybe Ireland.
When the big landowners constructed their own mansions, they were usually like this, so they could 'look' over their domain.
And to make sure those that can see the house know whose in charge.

And sometimes to make sure we didn't forget the ones what had died, either!

When I was wee when I stayed at my auntie Georgina's house if granny was on night shift, the two aircraft warning lights atop this thing stared right down into the bedroom like a pair of eyes and absolutely loving terrified me because it looked like an evil giant was just watching :v: Gives ye a grand oul' view of the town though, and seeing it come into view from behind hills and clouds when driving home from the airport was one of the best parts of the year for me because it means my holidays had begun and I was home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

marktheando posted:

I don't think boris gets to ask the queen to say no to something thats passed parliament. Shes certainly not going to get drawn into a constitutional crisis trying. She only agreed to prorogue parliament because that is a thing she can do, and while its immoral for boris to tine it like this he is within his rights to do so.

As for the latter, i suspect that if boris refuses to ask himself then as its a passed statute he'll be found in contempt and they'll get someone else to ask unless the law is stupid enough to say that boris will do it as opposed to the government