Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

Wow. I need to get these audio books.

As far as I know he's only Gotrek in the two audio dramas - Realmslayer, and Blood of the Old World. The main series isn't in audiobook form yet (and I can't imagine they'd spring for BB for those even if he was only doing Gotreks lines) and the short stories that are audio are just narrated I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Dragonshirt posted:

I picked up Maledictions, a Warhammer horror anthology, while I was at the Regular Library. Has anyone read this before? Any highlights?

Yeah I've read it. It's definitely a mixed bag, but there's some strong stuff in there. I remember really liking The Marauder Lives and uhhh whatever is the Apocalypse Now lift.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Boney boys are getting a giant.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/07/a-bone-to-pickgw-homepage-post-2/
GW decided to spill the beans about it.

Also another new unit revealed:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Man i wish my dick had arms and a face.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Err

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Is anyone else paranoid that the entirety of the old model range is gonna be in the legends category in the next couple years?

None of the new armies are horde armies, and it makes me think GW figured out they'll make more money selling people multiple small (compared to wfb) model count armies than a single huge horde one they'll never finish.

I never got into WFB because I hated the rules even though I loved the armies, and now that the rules are good they haven't released a single new army that appeals to me.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Pretty sure that's a gag. They have an orc battletome coming soon and Skaven's new tome did gangbusters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure listing all of the AoS factions would make for a far too long sentence. Even excluding those that lack an army book of their own.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Though I’m guessing that article says that the Free City Battletome is dropping in 2-3 weeks. Unless it’s a Skeletober situation and the honey boys go up for preorder on the last weekend of October.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Though I’m guessing that article says that the Free City Battletome is dropping in 2-3 weeks. Unless it’s a Skeletober situation and the honey boys go up for preorder on the last weekend of October.

I for one am looking forward to sweet, gooey overlords.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really hope they release free cities kits with funky aos humans. I just want to paint some of them.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

JBP posted:

I really hope they release free cities kits with funky aos humans...

and hats! The bigger the better! With feathers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

and hats! The bigger the better! With feathers.

Yes give me the most flamboyant hat mans

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I haven't played any miniatures games since wfb sixth ed, but I still like to look at the new models GW puts out. My impressions for AoS is that they generally look cool af, but I can't imagine how much of a pain it must be to assemble some of the larger ones, or how to give a not-poo poo paintjob when they all have tons of gribbly little bits and accessories. As far as BONE MARINES go these guys are pretty cool tho

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fuligin posted:

I haven't played any miniatures games since wfb sixth ed, but I still like to look at the new models GW puts out. My impressions for AoS is that they generally look cool af, but I can't imagine how much of a pain it must be to assemble some of the larger ones, or how to give a not-poo poo paintjob when they all have tons of gribbly little bits and accessories. As far as BONE MARINES go these guys are pretty cool tho

Painting isn't all that bad if you use sub assemblies and the lower model count also helps. I like that the game really gets you to focus on these big cool centrepiece models.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Im just a big ball standing in my big ball stance

I'm painting up all my endless spells for my slann list which is just basically teleport over, cast every offensive endless spell you can, teleport away. I'm sure this will be very effective and have no issues.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Fuligin posted:

They have new paints that make it pretty quick to paint. This is ~8 hours after buying the miniature. I bought it at 4 PM and was done a bit before 2 AM. That time wasn't all assembling and painting, it was also driving, chores, cooking, and some video games. Assembly was a bit of a hassle and I had hosed some stuff up I had to put back together. Transporting sucks.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

This kinda looks like a Cryx Warjack from Warmachine except a little bonier

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Bone construct looks very chill and the small dudes look happy. Must be good being a bone dude

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Chainclaw posted:

They have new paints that make it pretty quick to paint.

This poo poo can't be stressed enough, their fancy new overpriced paints are some supernatural mojo for people who are dumb/bad/slow at painting. I painted about five models 8 years ago for Warmachine and gave up because I felt like they looked lovely and was insanely discouraged by the prospect of starting over. I started a new AoS army (Hedonites of Slaanesh) this summer and just began painting - I am now at having painted exactly ten models ever - and this is what the battleline models I've been working on look like:

They aren't amazing or anything, but for having painted like ten miniatures in my entire life they blew my own mind. Whatever's going on with those paints chemically, even if it's straight up just "we pre-thinned them perfectly", I'm a believer, and I'd legit recommend them to anybody similarly intimidated by painting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not that it matters at all but I see a bit of Cryx and Scyrah from WM in some of the new AOS stuff.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dick and ball

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Come closer, my crotch wants to hit you with an arm

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yeast posted:

Come closer, my crotch wants to hit you with an arm

“No Jerry, they don’t want an arm you’ve nibbled on.”
“Hurghhh!”
“No, it’s a very nice arm, I just don’t think they’re interested right now.”
“Horphghs.”
“No, I don’t understand it either.”
“Hurrrgku”
“Sure buddy, put it away for now and we’ll sneak later.”

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

His name is richard

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I just hate this new army and I can't really put my finger on it.

Also, imagine being a tomb kings player and they make another skeleton army. loving lol.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

imagine being a WHFB player and they make AoS. loving lol.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I just hate this new army and I can't really put my finger on it.

Yeah same here. The shininess has worn off and I've gone from "not exactly what I wanted but still pretty cool" to "I don't even want to see it on the other side of the table."

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Did more ES

E- that apothecary white contrast paint is loving terrible. I hate it. Ruins everything.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Like a baby's arm holding an apple.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did more ES

E- that apothecary white contrast paint is loving terrible. I hate it. Ruins everything.

How’ve you been using AW? Because it’s really more of a shade wash for white rather than a contrast white.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

How’ve you been using AW? Because it’s really more of a shade wash for white rather than a contrast white.

Over a white primer. This last case I put on some dull coat because the white it was over was matte. Is there a technique to applying it?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
X-posting from the KS thread:

This guy is making sweet kits to convert Stormvermin into various Clan Skryre units that look great in my opinion. If he can get over the next couple of stretch goals, he'll make a Warlock Bombardier kit for people who didn't manage to catch Carrion Empire or just want an alternate sculpt. Picking up Carrion Empire is how I got into the game so I'm excited to get some reasonably priced acolytes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlebits/battle-bits-ratmen-conversion-parts/

e: fixed link

Dragonshirt fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 9, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I think your link is broken.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
those are some cool bits. wish we could see them on an actual stormvermin

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
It's interesting because he will only say what the kits are for in private messages. I would think that as long as he's not recasting GW bits for sale he could say or show whatever he wants? It would make it an easier sell that's for sure.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
well i dont blame him for being super paranoid. its pretty obvious they're for stormvermin, just wish i could see 'em :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Battle Report time!

Getting ready for a 2000 point tournament in September. Last event was in May. I used my Hallowed Knights / Stormcast Eternals, army built based on what I had available. This was mostly the Age of Sigmar and Soul Wars boxes, which allowed me to field a Grand Convocation plus a smattering of Warrior and Sacrosanct Chamber units. Nothing remotely competitive. I went 1-2, almost 0-3. For the next event, I wanted something with some thought behind it, and I wanted something powerful instead of just running lots of basic units. Played my first practice game this week.

My List:

Stormcast Eternals (No Stormhost)
Lord Arcanum on Griff Charger (General, Staunch Defender, Celestial Blades)
Lord Celestant on Stardrake (Ignax Scales)
Lord Castellant and Griff-Hound
10 Sequitors with Shield / Maces and Mauls
5 Liberators with Shields / hammers
5 Judicators with bows
2 Fulminators
2 Concussors
Everblaze Comet
2000 Points

His List:
Ironjawz with one of their warscroll battalions
Megaboss on Mawcrusha with the ignore Rend artifact
Weirdnob Shaman with the Ragged Cloak
Warchanter
3 Gore Gruntas
5 Brutes
Ironskull's Boyz
10 Ard Boyz
10 Ard Boyz
10 Ard Boyz
Rogue Idol
Malevolent Malestorm

Mission: Total Commitment (No Reserves, 2 objectives in each territory. 1 point on your turn for holding your objective, 3 points for holding enemy objective)

I finished setting up first and placed the Liberators on my right flank to secure an objective, and the Fulminators and Concussors on the left to secure the other objective. Everything else went in the center, where I had a nice plot of Mystical Woods to give my units some extra defense. He also loaded up the center, leaving some Ard Boyz on the flanks to claim his objectives. I made him take the first turn.

Turn 1:
Ironjawz advanced across the board, keeping his flanking Ard Boyz back enough to claim his objectives. His Mawcrusha was able to run across the board and charge into my flank, thanks to all of his movement shenanigans and bonuses. He easily slaughtered my Judicators, who were behind my Sequitors but open to a flanking attack. My Sequitors, Lord Arcanum, and Lord Castellant were drawn in and did a few wounds. He scored 2 points for his home territory objectives.

On my turn, I made a mistake that would likely cost me the game. I forgot that I would only claim objectives at the end of my turn, and foolish moved my Dracothian Guard units forward to face off against his approach Gore Gruntas, and moved my Liberators over to surround his Megaboss. I cast the Everblaze Comet in front of his main line and caused a nice spread of wounds across his main units and support characters. The Stardrake did Rain of Stars and rolled well, further degrading multiple units and support characters. I charged in with the Liberators and Stardrake. The Lord Arcanum and Lord Castellant pulled out of combat. I tried to charge his Gore Gruntas, but the Fulminators wiffed, so only the Concussors went in. I buffed the Sequitors with the Lord Arcanum's Command Ability. In the resulting combat, he wiped out the Liberators with the Megaboss and did some damage to the Concussors. I killed some of the Gore Gruntas and did a few more wounds to his Megaboss. I scored 0 points.

Turn 2:
I won the roll off and took the next turn. The comet did some further damage to his army, but the range was now cut in half so I didn't hit some key units again. I pulled the Concussors back from the Gore Gruntas, and the joined the Fulminators in securing my left flank objective, and sent my Griff Hound to the right to try to secure my other objective in the following turn. My Lord Arcanum tried to Arcane Bolt the megaboss, and I rolled high, but his Weirdnob barely managed to unbind the rulting D6 mortal wounds. My Fulminators used their storm breath to kill his remaining Gore Gruntas. The Stardrake had another decent Rain of Stars, killing the Warchanter. The fight against the Megaboss continued. He tried to attack my Stardrake but couldn't get past his armor. The Stardrake also wasn't causing much damage, but the Sequitors continued to chip away at him. I scored 0 points.

On his turn, his Weirnob jumped the Brutes behind my Dracothian Guard. The rest of his army moved up, avoiding the Comet in the center. Ironskull's boyz continued to flank, getting close to my right objective. His Brutes killed a Fulminator but then took heavy losses to my counterattack. My Sequitors finally finished off the Megaboss. He scored 2 points for his home objectives and an extra 3 for stealing one of mine with his Brutes, score was now 0 to 7.

Turn 3:
I again won the roll off. My Sequitors advanced towards the right, while the Lord Arcanum, Stardrake, and Lord Castellant moved to the left. My Griff Hound moved onto the right objective. My shooting remained decent as the Dracothian Guard fired into combat with the Brutes, and the Stardrake continued to Rain of Stars key units, annoyingly the Weirdnob survived on 1 wound. I finished off the Brutes in combat.

On his turn, he jumped some Ard Boyz back onto my left side Objective while the Ard Boyz on the right charged my Sequitors. Ironskull's boyz took my right side objective. His Rogue Idol charged my Strardrake and badly wounded it. The Sequitors held firm against the Orruks and caused some damage in return. The Griff Hound was surrounded and killed by mean Orruks. Score was now 0 to 11 I think.

Turn 4:
He won the roll off and jumped his 3rd unit of Ard Boyz behind my Sequitors. The Rogue Idol continued to pound the Stardrake, taking him down to 4 wounds. My Dracothian Guards mulched his Ard Boyz. The Sequitors continued to hold out against and steadily beat down the two units of Ard Boyz and Ironskull's Boyz, over on the right.

During my turn, the Lord Arcanum teleported to his side of the board to steal and objective. The Stardrake flew away from the Rogue Idol. I finally killed his Weirdnob, and the Sequitors killed off a unit of Ard Boyz. My Dracothian Guard charged the Rogue Idol and brought it down to 1 wound. Score was now 5ish to 15ish.

We called the game at this point because I would likely wipe out his army in the next turn, but still be behind on objective points.

Overall, I was happy with how resilient my units were, buffed by the Lord Arcanum with Stalwart Defender and the Lord Castellant. I might have won the game if I had remembered not to move off the objectives during the first turn. If I hadn't done that, I would have scored a few points and made it much harder for him to steal from me and score big. I would have been even better off ignoring the tempting defensive ground in the center, and instead just defending my two corner objectives, while pushing up to engage his army as needed and eventually steal one of his. The Stardrake wasn't super effective, but Rain of Stars was great and he buffed the Lord Arcanum's casting. His damage output was hurt by only fighting the Megaboss and Rogue Idol, which meant his Jaws and Tail attacks were wasted. That said, he was decently tanky and took everything both big enemy threats threw at him, and lived. I could have done a much better job keeping my Lord Arcanum in position to buff with Staunch Defender, while also using Healing Light and Cycle the Storm. I also could have done a better job screening my Judicators so that they couldn't be flanked and killed so easily by a surprise first turn charge. I also need to do a better job of remembering my Command Abilities and other abilities like Cycle the Storm, as I forgot to use it a couple times to save dying models, and I think I forgot to use the Stardrake Command Ability when I rolled for the Dracoths, even though I spent the CP for it. Lastly, the mission was tough for me since I couldn't put units in reserve and deep strike. If that had been an option it would have made stealing his objectives much easier, and he might have been forced to keep some units back on defense.

I may change the Fulminators and Concussors into one unit of Desolators. That way I will only have one unit that needs a buff, and the Fulminators are kind of wasted since I normally don't want to charge so I can use Staunch Defender. However, I like the flexibility that 2 units provides, especially for one of my few somewhat mobile units.

Overall a fun game, and I hope to get in 1-2 more practice games before the tournament so I can hopefully learn all my abilities and remember them when it counts! However, I was a bit salty because I brought my host some beer I knew he liked, and he then went through 2 beers and only asked me if I wanted one as he was cracking open his 3rd. Serious party foul, but he is normally a super nice guy, and was kind enough to host the game at his house, so I can’t be too butthurt.

Soldier o Fortune fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 9, 2019