Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I had some real momentum going but now I'm on mandatory leave which means I'm not even allowed to set foot in the corporate gym for two weeks. I have to go back to my local gym and I really can't work up the desire to go there again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Fhqwhgads posted:

I had some real momentum going but now I'm on mandatory leave which means I'm not even allowed to set foot in the corporate gym for two weeks. I have to go back to my local gym and I really can't work up the desire to go there again.

well boo hoo, princess

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

LordArgh posted:

well boo hoo, princess

I'm the prettiest princess

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
"Can't work up the desire" JFC. What the gently caress is that.

The desire to work out should burn inside you, so that if you miss a work out you feel guilty, feel like you are slipping back towards your old self who didn't work out, who didn't gently caress, who was just kinda waiting to die.

If you don't feel like that alright take a few weeks off, your highness. You've earned it.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Been on a post show diet for 6 weeks now and my hunger levels are still all hosed up. Non-geared bodybuilding at its finest, folks

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

sounds like you need to get on some gear, then

BB prep sounds awful. heard of so many people who are sick for quite some time after especially if they get one of the millions of "coaches" who just starve you down to a skeleton without thought to what it'll do to your metabolism

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

canadianclassic posted:

BB prep sounds awful. heard of so many people who are sick for quite some time after especially if they get one of the millions of "coaches" who just starve you down to a skeleton without thought to what it'll do to your metabolism

Eric Helms was saying that during prep he'll have a buddy who will always start conversations with "So are your glutes striated yet?"

I recommend the Iron Culture podcast if you want to hear about great bodybuilding stories like getting so lean people can see your rear end in a top hat without you bending over, or a bunch of dudes in a kitchen wearing nothing but a sock over their dicks slapping fake tan onto each other other's buttcheeks

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

canadianclassic posted:

I’m all set, I’m done with competing now. It was one last show to see how far I could push it. I went from ~240 -> 207 and I’m going to let myself rebound to 225-230 and hang out there until I’m like 50 which I won’t need any gear for I don’t think.

Edit: I actually worked with RP as my coaching team and they were phenomenal. Jared Feather had me eating into the show and I never went below 2100 kcal/day

doverhog
May 31, 2013

As you get older don't you still need testosterone supplementation? Because father time wins every fight, but you can delay that process.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
There are tons of people who stay big into their late 40s without trt. The key is it being maintenance rather than new growth

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Alright, didn't know that.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Me, a peasant: I’m 34 years old and going to my first (amateur open) powerlifting meet in two weeks.

You, a wizened lifter: here, let me give you two cents.

Any thoughts about what I should be doing? I basically don’t anticipate being anywhere near the top, and that’s cool because I am not nearly dedicated enough for that, but I really just don’t want to embarrass myself. Any faux pas that I should know about to avoid?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Green Crayons posted:

Me, a peasant: I’m 34 years old and going to my first (amateur open) powerlifting meet in two weeks.

You, a wizened lifter: here, let me give you two cents.

Any thoughts about what I should be doing? I basically don’t anticipate being anywhere near the top, and that’s cool because I am not nearly dedicated enough for that, but I really just don’t want to embarrass myself. Any faux pas that I should know about to avoid?

Practice your cues. Don't try to cut weight. Eat/bring food you know won't gently caress with your stomach, enough for a whole day. Talk to people, both for help and because you'll meet cool people. You might have to initiate the conversation. Ed Coan carries himself like a goony recluse until you introduce yourself to him, I think most (non-rear end in a top hat) powerlifters are the same.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

post videos

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Dum Cumpster posted:

Practice your cues. Don't try to cut weight. Eat/bring food you know won't gently caress with your stomach, enough for a whole day. Talk to people, both for help and because you'll meet cool people. You might have to initiate the conversation. Ed Coan carries himself like a goony recluse until you introduce yourself to him, I think most (non-rear end in a top hat) powerlifters are the same.

You'll probably meet some actual Nazis too though

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Do you have a friend to go with you and help do coachy things? Do powerlifting meets typically have coaches? Mostly so you don't have to focus on anything but lifting.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
All your anxiety is probably going to melt away after you hit your first squat. Enjoy!

Also if you aren't being coached right now, make sure to look up your federations commands and have a friend call them out to you in the gym so you can practice. It's really easy to skip a rack command or whatever because you're too in the moment, so I'd definitely practice a bit to get it ingrained.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Pretty sure you're in a monarchy bro. This is why you're just a worker and not a queen :smug:

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I made it through the entire week swinging and goblet squatting the 106lb kettlebell every day

Hoping to c+p and snatch it by mid next year

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Impressed. :cheers:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i still hate squats

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TenementFunster posted:

i still hate squats

I used to, then I'd look at all the bros in my gym that have giant upper bodies & arms that are bigger around than their calves. Or ones that hide their chicken legs with baggy shorts & track pants, then try to brag about how much they bench. Shut your face, half-lifter, come brag to me when your squat weight is better than your bench...this ain't "trickle down gymanomics" :colbert:

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

The bro owner of my gym was hanging out and talking with another bro when I was squatting the other day, and said it was four months since he squatted. I said something along the lines of "oh, sorry to hear it's not working out". "No", says he, "there's nothing wrong, I am really strong at it. It's just that my rear end gets to big and I think it looks weird."

Sure, my man, getting to muscular is a common problem. Anyway, I ended up asking him to join me for for some squats on monday, favouring strength over hypertrophy, and he agreed. However, something mysteriously came up and he regrettably had to take a rain check.

I mean, you can just say that you dont like to squat, it is not a crime

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ovenboy posted:

The bro owner of my gym was hanging out and talking with another bro when I was squatting the other day, and said it was four months since he squatted. I said something along the lines of "oh, sorry to hear it's not working out". "No", says he, "there's nothing wrong, I am really strong at it. It's just that my rear end gets to big and I think it looks weird."

Sure, my man, getting to muscular is a common problem. Anyway, I ended up asking him to join me for for some squats on monday, favouring strength over hypertrophy, and he agreed. However, something mysteriously came up and he regrettably had to take a rain check.

I mean, you can just say that you dont like to squat, it is not a crime

haha don't you just hate it when stdh.txt

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
for the third day in a row in 7 years, a dude has come into the gym, hopping on the exercise bike, and turning on the loving heat for the entire room. different guys each time!

wear a loving sweatsuit first instead of basketball shorts and a tshirt, dickheads.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

for the third day in a row in 7 years, a dude has come into the gym, hopping on the exercise bike, and turning on the loving heat for the entire room. different guys each time!

wear a loving sweatsuit first instead of basketball shorts and a tshirt, dickheads.

Thats legit grounds for a beating.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MarcusSA posted:

Thats legit grounds for a beating.
i thought i was having a pwo-induced stroke the first time it happened because why the gently caress would the heat be blowing when it’s 80 degrees outside?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You should talk to the manager there is no reason a customer should be able to gently caress with heat for the entire gym.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yesterday a girl turned the fan on the other side of the weight room on after she saw me turn the other fan on. My sweaty rear end appreciated it.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

sassassin posted:

haha don't you just hate it when stdh.txt

What do you mean? Both the owner and the other guy are friends of mine, they are total, superstitious bros though and both have a history of back pain, I just decided to take his comment about getting too big at face value since I wanted to see where it lead.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hit shoulders today and followed it up with some Philly Cheesesteak HAMBURGER HELPER and I'm lookin forward to those real beefy leftovers!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Weighed in at 168 this morning, managed to pull 4@420. Getting enough calories is magical. I think 5 was there too, just didn't want to grind.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

VorpalFish posted:

Weighed in at 168 this morning, managed to pull 4@420. Getting enough calories is magical. I think 5 was there too, just didn't want to grind.

hell yea blaze it

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are your guys favourite workout albums or playlists?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Wizard Master posted:

What are your guys favourite workout albums or playlists?

Crystal Method "Tweekend" worked for me for a really long time. Something about kinda dumb 90s big beat electronica put me in the perfect frame of mind

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

failed my last bench rep today and didn't have a spotter so had to literally shout "little help buddy" to a guy walking past my head.

rest of the workout sucked after that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
a shameful display

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Couldn't just roll it down your belly like the lump of pizza dough you are?

e- that was kinda mean, I'm projecting right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Raffles posted:

failed my last bench rep today and didn't have a spotter so had to literally shout "little help buddy" to a guy walking past my head.

rest of the workout sucked after that.
This is better than shouting "help little buddy" because they won't help you then