Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I know it's probably not possible, but if this gets SNES SimCity I will never leave my toilet again.

I mean, the switch does have cities skylines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
And if you really need to completely void your bowels of poo poo you could just play 10 seconds of hard mode BOTW

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Willo567 posted:

What if I'm only noticing control issues in one game? Like I said, I'm sometimes having trouble playing Smash with the Joycon sideways. When attached to the Switch, it's fine for the most part

Does it get worse when you move further away from the dock? Because there's also a known issue with the wireless antenna on the early joycons that causes similar symptoms to analogue drift and Nintendo will replace those for free as well

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean fewer releases though. It morel likely means they're not stuck making sure a release meets an arbitrary date with no leeway.

It does mean that unless you think they are going to have a month with more games released than usual which is a very optimistic position to take.

Especially when you look how long it took to get the games in the first place.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I think it's been at least ten years since I last beat Super Metroid so I just had to do it again. I couldn't let go what an incredible game. The music and atmosphere is so perfect and it makes me sad that Nintendo won't make more 2D Metroid games like that. Don't mention Samus Return on 3DS because it totally paled in comparison to the fanmade project they shutdown. Prime is good but I want more 2d Metroid. :(

Maybe I just miss nice sprites in general.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I bet they remaster the Metroid 2 remake that came out on 3DS and port it to Switch. And at some point they’ll introduce GBA games to the subscription service. But yeah, a proper brand new 2D Metroid is probably not in the cards anytime soon.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Please make that retro game playalong thread, it sounds great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Am I the only one whose best Tetris 99 performance is at 3am and/or while drunk?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hasn't worked out that way for me. But I will say it's very frustrating that you get 4 daily tickets, but things cost 15. Why couldn't they make it an even number?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hasn't worked out that way for me. But I will say it's very frustrating that you get 4 daily tickets, but things cost 15. Why couldn't they make it an even number?

So you play more.

You're being socially engineered sonnnnnnnnnn

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Am I the only one whose best performance is at 3am and/or while drunk?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

RandomFerret posted:

Does it get worse when you move further away from the dock? Because there's also a known issue with the wireless antenna on the early joycons that causes similar symptoms to analogue drift and Nintendo will replace those for free as well

I was pretty close to the dock while playing, although maybe it had to do with some wireless interference?

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Social Animal posted:

I think it's been at least ten years since I last beat Super Metroid so I just had to do it again. I couldn't let go what an incredible game. The music and atmosphere is so perfect and it makes me sad that Nintendo won't make more 2D Metroid games like that. Don't mention Samus Return on 3DS because it totally paled in comparison to the fanmade project they shutdown. Prime is good but I want more 2d Metroid. :(

Maybe I just miss nice sprites in general.

Hire Team Cherry to make a new 2D Metroid plz Nintendo thx

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The pessimist in me thinks delaying games to a irregular non-monthly schedule is just their way of being able to not drop games ever.

Can't have players get mad about it being late or just a Bad Game if you don't give them anything :tinfoil:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Model Camper posted:

Hire Team Cherry to make a new 2D Metroid plz Nintendo thx

Get them to design the world, gameplay and story but their visual style wouldn't work with Metroid at all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Team Cherry should make their own games instead of being shackled to metroid imo

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've never played Super Metroid and decided to go into it as blind as possible. I'm in Norfair and only have the Charge Beam, Morph ball, and Bomb.

I didn't think the game would let me get to a place I couldn't get back from, but I legitimately can't figure out how to progress. There are some rooms that are full of burning but I don't have the Varia suit, and a red (orange?) door I don't know how to break. I found what appears to be a boss room beside an elevator room, but I can't jump high enough. Finally, I am too garbage at the game to bomb/wall jump my way out of the shaft at the beginning.

Did I accidentally sequence break and gently caress myself?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Not sure if it's a bug with the emulator or if it's always been that way but towards the start of Super Metroid I had to reload my save because the morph ball just straight up stopped working randomly for no reason.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

asecondduck posted:

So I've never played Super Metroid and decided to go into it as blind as possible. I'm in Norfair and only have the Charge Beam, Morph ball, and Bomb.

I didn't think the game would let me get to a place I couldn't get back from, but I legitimately can't figure out how to progress. There are some rooms that are full of burning but I don't have the Varia suit, and a red (orange?) door I don't know how to break. I found what appears to be a boss room beside an elevator room, but I can't jump high enough. Finally, I am too garbage at the game to bomb/wall jump my way out of the shaft at the beginning.

you open the red doors by shooting five missiles at them

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You have to have opened missile doors to get to that point don't you???

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

romanowski posted:

you open the red doors by shooting five missiles at them

Regy Rusty posted:

You have to have opened missile doors to get to that point don't you???

Oh god loving drat it

I'm not even colorblind, I have no excuse besides "I forgot which color door regular missiles break" :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Forgot how much of a bastard of a game Ghouls and Ghosts truly is.

Complete the run, using insta-rewind, because the game will kill you every 5 steps, only to be told to go back and do it all over again because the Princess dropped her bracelet.

Get ffuuuuuuuccckeeeddd.

God bless 80s arcade quarter-eater game design that doesn't translate at all to home consoles :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Complete the run, using insta-rewind, because the game will kill you every 5 steps, only to be told to go back and do it all over again because the Princess dropped her bracelet.

Get ffuuuuuuuccckeeeddd.

God bless 80s arcade game design that doesn't translate at all to home consoles :allears:

i never fully understood how hellacious those jump physics were

the difficulty isn't in enemy layout or arthur's fragility, it's all that loving jump

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

asecondduck posted:

No, I was there yesterday. You need to find the high jump in Norfair and then go back where you came to get the spazer. Then you can reach that open maw entrance with the high jump that is off to the right before heading back into Norfair. That’ll get you going.

Pretty sure the high jump is at the very bottom left of Norfair.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

asecondduck posted:

I don't think it's possible to sequence break Super Metroid.

To get the Varia suit you must defeat Kraid. There are no red doors but there are purple and yellow doors. Purple doors (which can look reddish depending on your screen) require 5 missiles or a super missile. Yellow doors require a super bomb.

Basically, keep exploring. Shoot random blocks, ect.

I'll be honest through I only first played Super Metroid on the SNES classic and I did end up having to glance at a strategy guide a handful of times because I got stuck. However the game is at its best if you can figure it out on your own.

Speaking of...

So I decided to boot up my SNES classic for the first time in months, and I forgot I had Chrono Trigger on it from using Hakchi. I've sadly never played it, so I downloaded the game manual read it and it looks amazing. But if it comes to Switch soon I'd rather wait for the Switch SNES version.

Any word on Square releases for the SNES on switch? I know the Switch is getting a stand-alone FFVIII remaster but it would be great to get FFVI/Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana as part of the Switch SNES collection!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Infinitum posted:

Get ffuuuuuuuccckeeeddd.

God bless 80s arcade quarter-eater game design that doesn't translate at all to home consoles :allears:

The odd thing is that Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts isn't an arcade port, but a game that was made for the SNES.

I always preferred Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Sega Genesis because you can fire upward and the level design wasn't built around memorizing where to time your double-jumps on an otherwise blind leap of faith.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I decided to boot up my SNES classic for the first time in months, and I forgot I had Chrono Trigger on it from using Hakchi. I've sadly never played it, so I downloaded the game manual read it and it looks amazing. But if it comes to Switch soon I'd rather wait for the Switch SNES version.

Any word on Square releases for the SNES on switch? I know the Switch is getting a stand-alone FFVIII remaster but it would be great to get FFVI/Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana as part of the Switch SNES collection!

Collection of Mana is available on the eShop. I highly doubt any Square games will appear on the service. Much like how there won't be any Mega Man games, Castlevania games, or Contra games due to those being in compilations already. I imagine SquareEnix will put out whatever Final Fantasy compilations they can on the eShop, or more likely bad ports of those bad mobile versions of the games.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 8, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: double post.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 8, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Woebin posted:

Please make that retro game playalong thread, it sounds great.

Then it shall be done... Tonight!

And recommendations on what we should 'rent' for this first, shortened week?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is river city girls good?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Popular opinion is that it’s great but some have a few complaints.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It crashed on us today while playing co-op during the first boss fight. I've only ever had that happen with Enter The Gungeon. It's weird to me that these 2D pixel-art games are what crash the console for me, when all the stuff that pushes the console to its limits always seems fine.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's fun. The boss in the subway can eat a bag of dicks though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It drives me crazy that Bulletstorm maps reload to X and jump to A.

On any other controller this would be normal! It’s so counter intuitive.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Beastie posted:

It drives me crazy that Bulletstorm maps reload to X and jump to A.

On any other controller this would be normal! It’s so counter intuitive.

it's not nintendo's fault other companies labeled their buttons wrong

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Brother Entropy posted:

it's not nintendo's fault other companies labeled their buttons wrong

It’s not Nintendo though! If I were playing on Xbox reload would be Y and jump would be B.

It’s just 20 years of standards abandoned. It’s happens that Nintendo gets the right button names in the wrong place for Bulletstorm.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh poo poo, there's two playable characters in River City Girls and it's a classic roaming beat'em up but for some reason it never occurred to me that it would have co-op. It just shot way up the backlog rankings.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spellman posted:

This concept reached its apex form with the GameCube which gave the buttons atypical sizes, placements, and an overall hierarchy that matches the range of your thumb, with no abrasive buttons

I think the concave buttons are dope tho, I get lost on the Switch Pro all the time

When it came out I thought the GameCube controller was the most comfortable controller ever made and things haven’t changed much on that opinion. If they made a slightly larger one I would be happy but it’s still probably the best design for ergonomics.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The caveat with the Gamecube controller is that it only works with games that are designed specifically for it. Metroid Prime>? Brilliant. Super Metroid on VC? You're in for a bad time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

When will the SNES controller be available? There’s a lot of non-SNES games I’d like to use it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Just get the 8bitdo. The official one is going to be worse in every way, including price