Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol if the hard brexiters end up having the perfidious French to thank for liberating them from the clutches of the... French?

I mean this is hellworld after all so I should have seen it coming

128 is 2^7 which is an important number if you're working with signed 1-byte integers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does this mean the choices are hard brexit or revoke article 50?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Didn't Macron already say this multiple times about the previous extension, but got bargained down by the rest of the EU? As much as he wants to be a huge hardass on this point because he's a dumb baby, there's still strong incentives for the EU to not be able to be shown as the ones who caused hard Brexit.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jose posted:

Wasn't basically everyone calling for immediate enactment of article 50 not just Corbyn?

pretty sure cameron did and then changed his mind a few hours later.

also for some reason your poo poo media's extremely into the idea that brexiteer lies play into EU negotiations and therefore are true on some more patriotic level. no deal better than bad deal, we're holding all the cards, totally won't retreat from this reddest of lines (until we do), refusal of planning for bad consequences because that might boost eu confidence. after a while, any attempt to hold cabinet members to account would disqualify your reporting until that point

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

- No Deal
- May's deal (lol)
- Revoke Art. 50
- Macron is actually lying and it gets postponed anyway (most likely option IMO)
- The Brexit goes online on October 31st, 2019. Human brains are removed from strategic politics. Brexit begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern time, November 1st. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Isn't it about time in the history cycle for us to have another war with the French? Can we make this one surpass 100 years?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kurtofan posted:

Uber liberal macron has no desire to see a corbyn led government renegotiate brexit, he prefers the idea of a hard brexit

this stuff is positioning to increase pressure on uk cabinet. the idea france'd veto a request for brexit delay supported by ireland is nonsense

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

RabidWeasel posted:

Didn't Macron already say this multiple times about the previous extension,

yes. looks like he’s just playing to the peanut gallery at home

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Distant, but approaching *hon hon hon*'s

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pochoclo posted:

- The Brexit goes online on October 31st, 2019. Human brains are removed from strategic politics. Brexit begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern time, November 1st. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

I believe this is Dominic's prediction

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pochoclo posted:

128 is 2^7 which is an important number if you're working with signed 1-byte integers

Au contraire, surely it is not a number at all?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Pochoclo posted:

- No Deal
- May's deal (lol)
- Revoke Art. 50
- Macron is actually lying and it gets postponed anyway (most likely option IMO)

Eastern time? Like, Norfolk?

I wouldn't mind if Brexit nuked Norfolk.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

josh04 posted:

Hate to rain on your parade because as it happens it is.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
This helps Johnson to some extent, assuming he wanted a deal to start with and all of this shittery was just posturing. Now the opposition won't be able to push for an election after extension.

ronya posted:

I'm enjoying the degree to which Cummings is finding that he is no more immune to leaks than any previous advisors

he is a fierce critic of the Westminster mode of thought without considering any reasons why it might exist - his working theory is always "everyone else is stupid, cowardly, greedy, or all three"
something something the only Great Man in Westminster is Le Chatelier

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

this stuff is positioning to increase pressure on uk cabinet. the idea france'd veto a request for brexit delay supported by ireland is nonsense
I'd assume it was to increase pressure on Parliament, given that it's the entity that's actually dragging the whole thing out. Like, even the remainer parts of the UK do not really seem to respect the idea that the EU has a stake in this too - they still seem to treat it as an internal affair, with the EU just accepting any extension automatically. Obviously the Irish are pretty supportive of that position, but I'm not sure it's gonna win out forever.

In any case, if Macron really wanted to apply pressure though he'd push through a law that'd force him to veto further extensions beyond the proposed January deadline, just so no one would assume he was bluffing. Then the British parliament could make an automatic revocation law to prevent No Deal, then spend the remaining time voting for May's deal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Igotadigbick posted:

Isn't it about time in the history cycle for us to have another war with the French? Can we make this one surpass 100 years?

Maybe future historians will regard this as the final decisive phase of the 700 Years War, when France finally crushed England after a lengthy armistice

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

josh04 posted:

2^7 is fine. 2^8 is negative zero, which can occasionally be an issue.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

they have to wait until the end of the 14 days "make a new government" period before he's allowed to do prime minister things.

How did the deal with this during the cold war? What if WWIII broke out and a sleeper agent shanked the PM? Parliament not being able to do anything for 2 weeks sounds crippling.

triangular man
Feb 13, 2015

I don't have a lot of knowledge about politics, it has always seemed a bit impenetrable like trying to get into comics or something. Since this is such a weird time and it sounds like we're in untested waters it seems like a good time to jump in though so I've been lurking this thread trying to get a grasp on things.

So far my favourite thing, besides my growing optimism about Corbyns chances, has been seeing Bercow tell people to behave, which has been quite thrilling. I haven't fully caught up with the thread yet as it moves so quickly so apologies if this has been soundly discussed, but I just read about plans for the Tories to remove Bercow as speaker, which is apparently unusual?

Can someone please explain to me like I'm five what the context and ramifications are for this type of action? Like, how is the speaker selected in the first place, how the position usually changes hands, etc? Is this another example of the strange politics of our times or does it always happen in the end? I read that Andrea Leadsom has said that Bercow has abused the power of his position and has broken rules in some of his decisions? Or just spin when he's made decisions she disagreed with? I suspect the last one is probably the latter, but since I do not have a good grasp of politics, I'm not sure.

I'm sorry if these are really basic questions, I am honestly trying to understand, and reading this thread doesn't make my eyes glaze over and brain shut down like I usually get when I try to look up this stuff :shobon:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

josh04 posted:

Ed: nm, 127 is fine, 128 is indeed negative zero.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 8, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Charlz Guybon posted:

How did the deal with this during the cold war? What if WWIII broke out and a sleeper agent shanked the PM? Parliament not being able to do anything for 2 weeks sounds crippling.

Being stabbed to death, whilst admittedly not a ringing endorsement, is not the same as losing a vonc.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Charlz Guybon posted:

The FTPA didn't exist then, also, I was only speculating and someone who knew better clarified later that actually if Parliament backs a new PM during the 14 days period then he immediately becomes PM

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

"Antisemitism Tsar" is such a stupid and historically ignorant job title for what it is that it's a shock that its not the most antisemitic thing about it. Imagine hiring a goy antisemitism witchfinder general who's also a massive bigot.
John Eichmann, antisemitism Obergruppenführer for UK Government.

Step one, create a list of names and addresses of every Jew in Britain so that we can find out who has been most affected by Corbyn's antisemitism.

Pochoclo posted:

I mean it’s like saying that the murder of Franz Ferdinand is what caused WW1 except even dumber
A single 32ACP bullet started WWI and ended WWII.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Cerv posted:

photoshopper's hosed up the 9 in 2019

I can tell by some of the pixels
which is weird, because there are easier ways of faking tweets. in fact, you too can do it!

(0) have chrome installed, along with some screenshot extension or shortcut. osx has one built-in.

(1) find a tweet to edit, like this one

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1169002562625974274

(2) right-click on the text and choose 'inspect'. that'll open chrome dev tools on the right chunk of html

(3) if the text isn't right there in the tools, poke around a bit till you find it. here, i just have to expand the 'span'

(4) double-click on the text to edit it! it'll update live

(5) inspect and edit the date, likes, retweets, whatever. you can also ctrl+f from within dev tools if you know what fragment of text you're after

(6) take a screenshot. on osx, cmd+ctrl+shift+4 will let you capture a chunk of the screen into your clipboard, and then you can just cmd+v it into imgur

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

ronya posted:

it is Corbyn's own defence that he misspoke and should have phrased it better. This puts his face on BBC News the same evening in the wall-to-wall post-referendum coverage with Corbyn Demands A50 Immediately

instead of issuing a correction immediately, of course he instead tells Dimbleby this a month later. His office never issues a press statement. Do you really buy that?

At this point in time isn't Labour HQ still actively sabotaging Corbyn by delaying press releases and not coordinating with the media? Not sure we can read too much into a mishandled statement at this point in the timeline.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
aha, coffeetable, you were the fake news all along

we always knew you done it

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Well that's one way of breaking the love spell FBPEs have with euro neolibs I suppose.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

triangular man posted:

Can someone please explain to me like I'm five what the context and ramifications are for this type of action? Like, how is the speaker selected in the first place, how the position usually changes hands, etc? Is this another example of the strange politics of our times or does it always happen in the end? I read that Andrea Leadsom has said that Bercow has abused the power of his position and has broken rules in some of his decisions? Or just spin when he's made decisions she disagreed with? I suspect the last one is probably the latter, but since I do not have a good grasp of politics, I'm not sure.
The Speaker is an MP who is elected to the position by other MPs. They immediately resign their existing party membership upon taking the post, and by convention none of the other parties stand candidates against them in general elections in order to preserve the neutrality of the position and to let the Speaker do their job of governing the house in a reasonably even-handed manner -- they can't do it properly if they're worrying that smacking down one party for constantly flouting procedure is going to result in their being out of a job come election time. Historically this has meant that the Speaker is Speaker until such time as they decide not to be and resign, at which point there is an election for a new Speaker.

Bercow as Speaker is a interesting, though; he was a Tory MP who started out on the right of the party, but his wife is a Labour member and appears to have had a moderating effect on his opinions over the years. He was elected Speaker as a sort of compromise candidate, since the other Tory candidates were frothing lunatics and Labour knew they didn't have the votes to put one of their own party in the chair, so they threw their weight behind Bercow as the lesser evil. The other part of this is that Bercow is an absolutely colossal narcissist -- even more so than your typical MP -- and loves putting on a performance for the cameras.

Put those two things together and you end up with an unexpectedly proactive Speaker who is willing to go out of his way to poo poo on the government whenever it gets out of line, even though it's a Tory government and he's an ex-Tory. Some of the things he's done have been without precedent, but hardly against the rules since the Speaker is the person who gets to decide what a lot of the rules are -- or at least how they are interpreted.

And now that the government is into full-on fascist mode and they're ignoring parliamentary conventions left right and centre, they've also figured that now is the time for a reckoning with Bercow. They can't make him give up the Speaker's chair and even if they win a majority in the next election he could still make life very difficult for them, so they're going to try to unseat him as an MP and install somebody who'll wave through all of their bullshit without a second thought.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, Macron is really just pressing for something more concrete than indefinitely postponing the deadline. He knows there's no point in Boris being forced into an extension with his current minority government because it's clear his objective is No Deal which currently can't be delivered without an election. They want Brexit over and done with too, one way or another. However they also don't want to be repeating this rigmarole every 3-6 months with the possibility of No Deal never actually going away.

The carefully placed line of "in current circumstances" can be read as needing to break the deadlock in parliament to get any extension. Either we try to get a government able & willing to deliver WAB / No Deal, or we get one willing & able to order a clearer referendum / revoke Art. 50. It's likely the EU will again offer a longer extension (say March 31st at least) to allow time for this, rather than Jan 31st.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

:siren: September is Preparedness Month, citizen :siren:

https://twitter.com/pointlesslettrs/status/1170652363658584064?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
taking back control

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/1170439183208472578

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

When shall we three meet again
in thunder, lightning, or in rain?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

the "emergency plan" is a fake Saudi passport

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I live in Dumbarton and mutants sweeping down the high street would be, at worst, unnoticeable and, at best, an improvement.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The sooner we saw off both legs to be rid of an (imaginary) ingrown toenail the sooner we can start preparing to compete in the Olympic 100m.

I mean the Olympic 328 feet :catstare:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

Put those two things together and you end up with an unexpectedly proactive Speaker who is willing to go out of his way to poo poo on the government whenever it gets out of line, even though it's a Tory government and he's an ex-Tory. Some of the things he's done have been without precedent, but hardly against the rules since the Speaker is the person who gets to decide what a lot of the rules are -- or at least how they are interpreted.

And now that the government is into full-on fascist mode and they're ignoring parliamentary conventions left right and centre, they've also figured that now is the time for a reckoning with Bercow. They can't make him give up the Speaker's chair and even if they win a majority in the next election he could still make life very difficult for them, so they're going to try to unseat him as an MP and install somebody who'll wave through all of their bullshit without a second thought.

It's worth pointing out that the reason he's had to act without precedent is because of this. May and especially Johnson have gone to great lengths to bend the rules as far as possible as they lack the voting majority to do things properly. Tricks like ignoring pairing or proroguing parliament for over a month is stuff that was always technically possible, but before Brexit would have been career suicide for any PM to actually try.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'd assume it was to increase pressure on Parliament, given that it's the entity that's actually dragging the whole thing out. Like, even the remainer parts of the UK do not really seem to respect the idea that the EU has a stake in this too - they still seem to treat it as an internal affair, with the EU just accepting any extension automatically. Obviously the Irish are pretty supportive of that position, but I'm not sure it's gonna win out forever.

In any case, if Macron really wanted to apply pressure though he'd push through a law that'd force him to veto further extensions beyond the proposed January deadline, just so no one would assume he was bluffing. Then the British parliament could make an automatic revocation law to prevent No Deal, then spend the remaining time voting for May's deal.

Fair enough, parliament's probably the main UK intended audience.

I think this strongman stuff plays more in the context of EU power dynamics also. In the EU27, France is certainly seen as having legitimate interest in how brexit's done, with the geography and infrastructure and trade stuff and everything, and from that perspective, Macron's hard line can be defended as him defending France's legitimate interests: no UK change in position, no point in more talks etc.

However, France's interests won't get anywhere as much support as Ireland's. Most EU states are tiny and brexit's driving worries among small countries that Germany and France will just roll over their interests, since the UK's been seen as a counterweight to that. Vetos work both ways and unless brexit is the end of Macron's EU ambitions, he can't be the one responsible for building walls on their island.

...and while this sounds like it might undercut Macron's brexit rhetoric, it can work the other way. No matter hard and uncompromising he is on brexit, he'll always be able to safely retreat, citing his country's respect and support for Ireland's sovereignty. He'd even be able to frame it as a sacrifice on his part in favour of EU priorities, and cash it in when next there's some big thingy being talked about

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm the complete lack of anything that could be considered a weapon without deniability, because police plan.

Beating off hundreds of lads my way through 30-50 feral hogs the mutant hordes of Dunfermline with a flashlight and a sock full of batteries.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

triangular man posted:

I don't have a lot of knowledge about politics, it has always seemed a bit impenetrable like trying to get into comics or something. Since this is such a weird time and it sounds like we're in untested waters it seems like a good time to jump in though so I've been lurking this thread trying to get a grasp on things.

So far my favourite thing, besides my growing optimism about Corbyns chances, has been seeing Bercow tell people to behave, which has been quite thrilling. I haven't fully caught up with the thread yet as it moves so quickly so apologies if this has been soundly discussed, but I just read about plans for the Tories to remove Bercow as speaker, which is apparently unusual?

I'm sorry if these are really basic questions, I am honestly trying to understand, and reading this thread doesn't make my eyes glaze over and brain shut down like I usually get when I try to look up this stuff :shobon:

The role of the Speaker is meant to be impartial, and for all his faults, Bercow takes his job as speaker pretty seriously. He was a former Tory, but there are rumours, before he ended up a speaker, that he was going to cross over to the Labour benches (that might just be the Tories gripeing though).

IIRC an MP has to put themselves forward as wishing to become speaker and be elected (and nominated) by, not just their own party, but MPs of opposition parties. By loose convention, none of the major parties stand against the speaker in an election (it has happened before though).

This is just the Tories getting loving pissy at him for not allowing them to run roughshod and do what the gently caress they like. So their aim is to stand someone in an election against him with the hope that it removes him as an MP (and as speaker), and allow them to get in a new speaker who is a bit more favourable to their bullshit.

When she was Leader of the House of Commons (in charge of organising government business and co-ordinating with the whips) , Leadsom and him clashed frequently, because of her habit of talking absolute bollocks, trying to spring things on the House against procedure, and trying to pick needless arguments with him - she's notoriously thick as poo poo with horrendous loving politics.

It's to the point there's actual personal emnity between them. As we live in interesting times with our hosed-up enfeebled government, he has had to make calls on things where there wasn't any precedent before, but nothing that's an abuse of his power, or against the rules - just the nature of things walking into unknown territory and having to make a ruling.

tl;dr: Leadsom hates his guts personally. The Tories hate his guts for forcing them to adhere to procedure and not allowing them to just push through poo poo. And they want him gone.

[e]: And stick around - new faces are always good :) So are old faces. They're also good.
Not these old faces though - they aren't good.
VVV

kecske posted:

When shall we three meet again
in thunder, lightning, or in rain?

:lol:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So what did parliament order the Tories to do exactly? They have to seek an extension? Are they going to? Or is Johnson just ... not going to and what is the consequence of that?