Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Purple Prince posted:

I mean most people are just trying to get on with their lives and provide security for themselves and their families. A lot of the landlord 'class' is just people who happened to get jobs that pay them a high enough salary to have more than one house and who decide to rent out the extra one because free money is cool.

It's pretty hard to hate on fairly normal middle class people who happen to be small time landlords.

Yeah the system is busted especially in the UK but most of these small time landlords aren't any more likely to be amoral bastards than the rest of the population. As posters above said, rent controls etc are good, hell I'm all for abolishing the private housing market, but that doesn't make beneficiaries of the current system morally reprehensible.

what, acting according to their economic incentives absolves them of individual responsibility? that's not unproblematic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

I can't stop laughing at this loving Op-ed, it's hilarious on so many levels:

What was that bernie slogan; we welcome your hatred?

e: Also lol @ the state of Exioce's posting.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All hail Comrade Videogames.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Noxville posted:

Lmao at the fact that there is more than one member of the press who has been cucked by Boris Johnson and still gives him full support

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1170680111877754886?s=21

wait hang on this is by William Cash who isn’t the same person as Sir William Cash, perennial runner-up in the Parliamentary Stereotypical Toff contest

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Purple Prince posted:

They might also not be partisans of orthodox Marxist-Leninist thought, just putting it out there.

Fundamentally the basis of morality seems to be one of empathy and understanding, and while I agree that landlords profit in an exploitative way, so does literally everyone in a capitalist society.

I don't think ideology should be grounds for breaking fundamental social bonds between people is all.

What do you think landlording is if not breaking the fundamenal social bond between people? You can not have an equitable relationship with your landlord, or your boss, or anyone who has that kind of power over you.

No, not everyone in a capitalist society profits in an exploitative way. The people who do not own property and who must sell their capacity to labour in exchange for continued subsistence are the exploited. The ones who own property and extract their means of subsistence from others as a result of that are the exploiters.

If you want to foster the fundamental social bonds between people then the eradication of landlording and the transfer of the means of production into the hands of the people who work in it is absolutely necessary, because you can only have an equitable social bond between people who are not on opposite sides of an exploter/exploited relationship.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 8, 2019

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Exioce is one of those people who thinks it's fair to put a starving person who steals food to survive on trial.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Does Macron have an election coming up or something

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Purple Prince posted:

I mean most people are just trying to get on with their lives and provide security for themselves and their families. A lot of the landlord 'class' is just people who happened to get jobs that pay them a high enough salary to have more than one house and who decide to rent out the extra one because free money is cool.

It's pretty hard to hate on fairly normal middle class people who happen to be small time landlords.

No, it's easy to hate on them and you really should.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

It rules that it's an open secret that our Prime Minister has scores of bastards across the country but our press only mention it in passing or through codes hidden if stories about our schools falling test scores.

What are the secret code words?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Does Macron have an election coming up or something

I don't think so, but no French president ever lost popularity by pissing on the English, and they're the stick part of the EU's answer to all this. The carrot bit will be 'alright you can have your election, but only if you actually make up your loving minds after that."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Purple Prince posted:

Yeah the system is busted especially in the UK but most of these small time landlords aren't any more likely to be amoral bastards than the rest of the population. As posters above said, rent controls etc are good, hell I'm all for abolishing the private housing market, but that doesn't make beneficiaries of the current system morally reprehensible.

I dunno, I feel like you might be underestimating the number of "professional" landlords who own multiple homes - and how much of the renting stock is owned by these landlords rather than normal middle-class people with well-paid jobs (or fixed income retirees who need to top up their meagre pensions, god bless 'em, or any other trope).

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Sex isn't a need, shelter is. Exploiting a need to the point where a person is spending half their wages where they worked 40 hours a week to get purely out of your advantage over them isn't akin to sex. It's gross as gently caress to suggest it is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Perusing the landlord's Rap Sheet and expecting a bunch of hilarious probes and bans... turns out they've had an account since 2003 and only ever had one other probation. They just get insanely horny about private property I suppose.

Seems a bit of a travesty that they only got a 1-dayer, unless that's the maximum that VG could give or something

Captain Fargle posted:

Exioce is one of those people who thinks it's fair to put a starving person who steals food to survive on trial.

I am warning you Javert, I was born inside a jail!

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

what, acting according to their economic incentives absolves them of individual responsibility? that's not unproblematic

It's contradictory in a Marxist framework to hold both that:

1) People's ideology and ways of thinking are fundamentally conditioned by their economic environment, and therefore most people will tend to act in a way that cohere with their social and economic context. (Marx)

2) People are totally responsible for choices they make which aren't in the Marxist framework and seeking to achieve Full Communism. Such people are morally reprehensible and should be shot. (Soviet propaganda / Marxist-Leninism)

This is why the Soviets hated critical theory so much, incidentally, it emphasised understanding 1 over doctrinaire readings of 2.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Perusing the landlord's Rap Sheet and expecting a bunch of hilarious probes and bans... turns out they've had an account since 2003 and only ever had one other probation. They just get insanely horny about private property I suppose.

Seems a bit of a travesty that they only got a 1-dayer, unless that's the maximum that VG could give or something

I did look at their post history and its almost entirely in a wargame thread about how good British tanks are though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

A trial's potentially OK so long as they get off at the end without legal fees or a criminal record (and get pointed in the direction of a state support service to help them not starve). Means you weed out the people who are just being entitled pricks to service staff, and gets the people in real trouble on a route out of trouble.

I mean, if we're talking about utopian post-capitalist societies, anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Purple Prince posted:

1) People's ideology and ways of thinking are fundamentally conditioned by their economic environment, and therefore most people will tend to act in a way that cohere with their social and economic context. (Marx)

2) People are totally responsible for choices they make which aren't in the Marxist framework and seeking to achieve Full Communism. Such people are morally reprehensible and should be shot. (Soviet propaganda / Marxist-Leninism)

This is why the Soviets hated critical theory so much, incidentally, it emphasised understanding 1 over doctrinaire readings of 2.

It is entirely possible however to suggest that:

1. People are products of their environment and don't really have much agency.

2. Regardless of this, it is useful to believe otherwise as this is how people actually think and encouraging them to think this way is a useful form of political agitation.

So, people do not have agency, but you should hate them anyway because that is the only way the systemic forces that make them do bad things are going to be changed.

This is also the only way that you can really square your human experience with the belief that the world is entirely determinisitc so I also recommend it for that reason.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Junior G-man posted:

No, it's easy to hate on them and you really should.

tbh i'd prefer to rent from a faceless corporation than a private landlord because at least the faceless corporation doesn't give a poo poo about me while the private landlord could decide to actively make my life hell for being too gay/admitting i vote corbyn to gently caress the landlord class/no reason at all he just hates me

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

suck my woke dick posted:

tbh i'd prefer to rent from a faceless corporation than a private landlord because at least the faceless corporation doesn't give a poo poo about me while the private landlord could decide to actively make my life hell for being too gay/admitting i vote corbyn to gently caress the landlord class/no reason at all he just hates me

Also, in my experience faceless corporate landlords tend to be better with repairs etc. because they keep handymen on call/staff and are somewhat aware of their legal responsibilities.

I sued my landlord in uni three times and won all three - twice in court. gently caress that guy and gently caress all landlords.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A corporation might actually be less loving restrictive about the poo poo you can do in a rental property too.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sex isn't a need, shelter is. Exploiting a need to the point where a person is spending half their wages where they worked 40 hours a week to get purely out of your advantage over them isn't akin to sex. It's gross as gently caress to suggest it is.

actually sex is a need and the NHS should provide hookers :smuggo:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Small time landlords are like helicopter bosses for your home.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Read this in the Kermit voice of Jordan Peterson.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I already work in an outsourced NHS funded ward I'm not adding gigoloing to my job description.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
holy poo poo that vagina analogy :stare:

when that guy gets out of forums jail he’s going to have redtext on his redtext

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

I can go all the way up to perma if I wish as an admin, however I went with a day because of their rap sheet and I have always been an escalations kind of mod and also because I am not really a D&D mod and as such I did not want to overstep.

If any of the D&D mods put up a harsher penalty I will gladly approve it.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

I was wondering why there was a shortage of beds in hospitals across the country

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

holy poo poo that vagina analogy :stare:

theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you loving moron

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Purple Prince posted:

well, there's that of course, the constrictions of the Marxist framework. critical theory and all that. contradictions really

i assure you I'm genuinely granting credence to this persuasive argument on the limits to personal responsibility

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Oh hey, you remember how all of this week BoJo and the government have been saying that they're negotiating hard in Brussels and things are moving:

FT posted:

EU talks over Brexit stall as Westminster descends into chaos
British tactics surprise Brussels and leave Johnson’s deal pledge on shaky ground

It only took two weeks, and several dispiriting negotiating rounds in Brussels, for the EU’s cautious optimism about Boris Johnson’s Brexit intentions to evaporate.

The G7 Biarritz summit and Mr Johnson’s visits to Paris and Berlin had raised hopes that the British prime minister was prepared to engage in substantive negotiations, offering the kinds of detailed plans that could form a starting point for talks. 

But by Friday EU diplomats were complaining that UK negotiator David Frost has done quite the opposite in discussions with the European Commission in Brussels: instead of putting new plans on the table, Britain has used its face time with the EU team to take existing offers away. 

In negotiating rounds on Wednesday and Friday, Mr Frost reiterated Britain’s determination to scrap plans for the Irish backstop, which aims to prevent a hard border in Ireland, while offering nothing to replace it. He then pushed to unwind commitments given by Theresa May on co-operation with the EU after Brexit. 

One EU official said that Biarritz, where Mr Johnson held talks with EU Council president Donald Tusk and emphasised his desire for a deal, had already been oversold as a turning point. “It was all about the atmospherics rather than substance”. Nonetheless, the subsequent UK requests have taken the EU aback. 

They include scrapping “level playing field” provisions intended to make sure that, under a future trade deal, Britain does not undercut EU labour and environmental standards, or increase public subsidies, in order to gain a competitive edge. 

The UK has also suggested it would like to de-emphasise the importance of working together on security and defence issues compared with the language in Mrs May’s deal. 

While all those changes concern the EU and UK’s planned future relationship, rather than the text of its exit treaty, they have raised alarm bells in capitals about what kind of partnership Britain wants, with eastern European nations queasy about the idea of a reduced UK commitment to joint security. 

Brussels is also warning that the moves effectively limit the political space for negotiation. Diplomats note that a weaker commitment to a level playing field means the EU will be less ambitious in the market access it can offer Britain after Brexit, which makes the need for a comprehensive solution to the Irish border, like the backstop, all the more important.

Trying to sell EU members a free trade deal with Britain containing zero tariffs and zero quotas without the level playing field provisions will simply not fly, some officials say. 

The lack of UK proposals to replace the backstop also limits the scope for talks. 

According to a leaked diplomatic note seen by the FT, Mr Frost’s meetings at European Commission headquarters on Friday centred, at his request, on how to prevent the need for food safety checks at the Irish border. It is a key issue for the all-Ireland economy, and one where Mr Johnson has hinted that he may be willing to stay in line with EU rules, but Brussels is warning that it is not a subject that can be treated in isolation. 

The commission briefed national governments on Friday that it had “reluctantly accepted to discuss sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) controls”, referring to the rules which govern food safety and animal and plant produce. The commission argues it is difficult to discuss this issue distinctly from a discussion on customs, considering that the two issues were “interlinked”, according to the note. 

Brussels is also dubious about the depth of the UK’s commitment to preventing SPS controls, given that any solution would require precise legal alignment, enshrined in detailed text and overseen by the European Court of Justice: precisely the kinds of commitments Brexiters would balk at. 

The upshot, EU officials say, is that despite British claims to have intensified talks, the negotiations still lack any momentum. The diplomatic note says “nothing new emerged” in a phone call on Thursday between UK Brexit minister Stephen Barclay and EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier. Mr Barclay insisted “that the backstop will never be accepted by the House of Commons in its current form and that we must be pragmatic.” 

Discussions will resume next week with a full agenda including customs issues, the movement of goods, food and plant controls, and the future EU-UK relationship, but with little idea where much of it is heading. “We will keep listening,” said one EU official. 

With talks moving slowly, Westminster in turmoil, and the UK’s October 31 exit date fast approaching, thoughts in Brussels are increasingly turning to whether Britain will take the prospect of a no-deal Brexit firmly off the table. The EU’s attention is gripped by the efforts of UK opposition parties to make sure it is. 

“The million dollar question is when the election will be,” one official said.

No galloping shock, but they're full of poo poo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I can go all the way up to perma if I wish as an admin, however I went with a day because of their rap sheet and I have always been an escalations kind of mod and also because I am not really a D&D mod and as such I did not want to overstep.

If any of the D&D mods put up a harsher penalty I will gladly approve it.

no i want round two of make fun of the oblivious landlord

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
give landlords a chance to not be landlords, seems fair enough

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/1163831198621323268?s=19

Landlords are scum who rationalise horrendous poo poo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Oh hey, you remember how all of this week BoJo and the government have been saying that they're negotiating hard in Brussels and things are moving:

No galloping shock, but they're full of poo poo.

Technically, proposing to remove several already-agreed aspects of the deal is offering a new deal :pseudo:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Another element of landlords that's come into being recently is landlords buying properties to rent as AirBnBs, this has become such a thing that I remember reading a story about an apartment block in Canada that's basically an unregulated hotel because all the units are owned by landlords renting them out on a nightly basis.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

njsykora posted:

Another element of landlords that's come into being recently is landlords buying properties to rent as AirBnBs, this has become such a thing that I remember reading a story about an apartment block in Canada that's basically an unregulated hotel because all the units are owned by landlords renting them out on a nightly basis.

replace "canada" with "every major city in a place that has tourists", hth

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

A corporation might actually be less loving restrictive about the poo poo you can do in a rental property too.

There's a theory that professional landlords, i.e. entities that own entire apartment blocks, or individuals who spend all their time looking after their property, are more likely to be more "tolerant" because they're not really looking to profit from the rental income rather the increase in value as represented by property in an always growing economy. They have an interest in protecting the property, keeping it well maintained, keeping tenants long-term, because the stability of the investment is secured.

Really the problem is that it's poo poo to have no money. So of course people are going to look to have more than no-money (via rents, investments, etc..) So if having no-money was less poo poo then people wouldn't need to have more than no-money. This is my grand theory of let's make stuff good without need for money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

replace "canada" with "every major city in a place that has tourists", hth

Yeah I realise this is going to be a thing basically everywhere, just Canada is the one I hear most about because a lot of Canadians I follow on Twitter talk about it a lot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

Also, in my experience faceless corporate landlords tend to be better with repairs etc. because they keep handymen on call/staff and are somewhat aware of their legal responsibilities.

Orwell posted:

I found—one might expect it, perhaps—that the small landlords are usually the worst. It goes against the grain to say this, but one can see why it should be so. Ideally, the worst type of slum landlord is a fat wicked man, preferably a bishop, who is drawing an immense income from extortionate rents. Actually, it is a poor old woman who has invested her life’s savings in three slum houses, inhabits one of them, and tries to live on the rent of the other two—never, in consequence, having any money for repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mrenda posted:

There's a theory that professional landlords, i.e. entities that own entire apartment blocks, or individuals who spend all their time looking after their property, are more likely to be more "tolerant" because they're not really looking to profit from the rental income rather the increase in value as represented by property in an always growing economy. They have an interest in protecting the property, keeping it well maintained, keeping tenants long-term, because the stability of the investment is secured.

Really the problem is that it's poo poo to have no money. So of course people are going to look to have more than no-money (via rents, investments, etc..) So if having no-money was less poo poo then people wouldn't need to have more than no-money. This is my grand theory of let's make stuff good without need for money.

that's a lot of words to say "universal basic income"

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 8, 2019