Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is why it's considered impolite to talk about how much you earn.

why don't you fuckers have public tax returns like the civilized world

to be fair, we don't make the entire declaration public, just the numbers on income and tax. but it should all be a matter of public record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
eh, i'll take it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's a small mercy they never tried actually make a jousting tank.

The SU-100 probably counts. Fast, decent armour, big gun, could only shoot forward, and Russia's poor propellant quality meant it had to get quite close to its targets. It was mainly used for ambushes thanks to its low profile, but if you wanted to dash madly at a Tiger and rip its guts out, that was an option.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
lmao

pic selection, the last bastion of journalistic integrity

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, not exactly. Tanks at the time were divided into light, medium, and heavy machines
And super-heavy. And the Landkreuzer P. 1000.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

archaeo posted:

T-34, Comrade :crossarms:

The T-34 was a good medium tank, not a truly revolutionary vehicle. You could take it up against a heavy tank like a Tiger, but you'd better hope you had some really great life insurance. The very existence of the IS series made it clear that the T-34 wasn't a true MBT. The T-54 was the first time they struck that particular vein of gold, although they still kept the IS-3 around for nostalgia's sake (and because it looked really cool).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

And super-heavy. And the Landkreuzer P. 1000.

Some folks claim Speer wasn't as bad as other leading Nazis and some claim he was and some say the distinction doesn't matter because it's literally the leading German Nazis in WW2.

However, I argue he is the worst of them all, because he cancelled the Ratte and Monster.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

lmao

pic selection, the last bastion of journalistic integrity

Bets on who's next?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Foster posted:

Bets on who's next?

There's really not a lot of candidates screaming out at you. Nicky Morgan is the most obvious one,

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Barry Foster posted:

Bets on who's next?

nicky morgan

then, when it's too late for it really, the Saj

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
[quote="Tijuana Bibliophile" post="498144301"

[/quote]

To be honest, that's a good Vicky Pollard impression.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

njsykora posted:

Another element of landlords that's come into being recently is landlords buying properties to rent as AirBnBs, this has become such a thing that I remember reading a story about an apartment block in Canada that's basically an unregulated hotel because all the units are owned by landlords renting them out on a nightly basis.

Hm, I thought many cities have started introducing limits on AirBnB already, such as London like a year or two ago? Not sure about the details though, but something like "you can only put a place up on AirBnB for a max 30 days a year" and obviously "you must declare AirBnB income as rental income".

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think taxi driving and letting including hotels should be a licensed activity and that doing it through an app should be no exception.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Theresa May now inspecting potholes in her constituency.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hm actually in London it's 90 days. Some BBC article about it from Feb 2017

Also, completely unsurprisingly,

anonymous oval office posted:

"I'll just carry on as before. When the 90 day rule comes up, I'll re-register the homes I have so it looks like they're different homes... a few metres away.

"I know many other landlords planning to do the same thing."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

happyhippy posted:

To be honest, that's a good Vicky Pollard impression.

You are Laura Kuenssberg and I claim £5.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

You are Laura Kuenssberg and I claim £5.

Nah, I would be going after Corbyn if I was.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Could Parliament pass a law that IF Boris does not secure an extension, THEN article 50 is revoked?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh, 200 new posts. Oh, landlord chat (:thermidor:), and uh.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Could Parliament pass a law that IF Boris does not secure an extension, THEN article 50 is revoked?

Theoretically yes, but there's two issues

First, it falls under the same issue as the extension one - Boris might just not do it (because revocation needs to be done by PM)

Second, parliament wouldn't vote for that.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

suck my woke dick posted:

I haven't yet fled the land of red, white and blue Brexit. Definitely starting out, is there a beginner's lockpick set that's particularly good value or is whatever has 4 or more stars on amazon fine?

:words: about lock picking tool recommendations

Depends on your budget. There's a whole lot of trash on Amazon, unfortunately - bad quality steel that bends or breaks, and picks too thick to move easily around keyways. Pre-built sets can be fine but often include picks that will never ever get used and miss out on some important bits. What you need is: a couple of rakes, short and steep hooks, one or two bottom-of-keyway tensioners, and various thicknesses of top-of-keyway tensioner.

If you're going with sets, your options are:
a) buy a cheap set knowing it probably won't work properly and will definitely need replacing if you get more into picking
b) buy a decent-quality small kit that will need expanding eventually
c) buy a medium-sized decent-quality kit that's still somehow missing things
d) buy one of the Multipick £200 professional sets containing more picks than you'd ever need in your life
e) build your own

possible:
a) GOSO Beginners Pick Set
b) SouthOrd PXS-14 or SouthOrd MPXS-14, SouthOrd C1500 or C1510, Sparrows 'Everyday' Spirit
c) Dangerfield Praxis (might need a steep hook added), SouthOrd C2010, SouthOrd MPXS-20, Sparrows Classic Lock Pick Set
d) don't do this

For a pre-built set I'd suggest probably the SouthOrd C1510 / C2010 or Sparrows Spirit / Classic - good hook selection, just needs some top-of-keyway tensioners at some point.

e) You can always buy individual picks to build a set, if you went that route I'd say choose one brand of pick, then choose tensioners from wherever; something like

SouthOrd: order directly from them, they ship to the UK for about $10-15 iirc
SLS-06 Small Deep Hook Slimline $2.10
SLS-07 Standard Hook Slimline $2.10
SLS-09 Shallow Hook Slimline $2.10
SLS-12 Long Sharp Rake Slimline $2.10
SLS-01 Long Rake Slimline $2.10
optionally also SLS-11 Offset Diamond Slimline $2.10, and SLS-04 Small Diamond Slimline $2.10

maybe two of each hook; slimline picks are a bit more vulnerable to bending

Sparrows: can get from UKLockpickers, £4.50-£5.50 per pick, but a bit more durable than the SouthOrd Slimlines
Short Hook 0.025"
Offset Hybrid 0.020" or 0.025" (also called Offset Diamond)
Steep Hook 0.020"
Triple Peak 0.025"
City Rake 0.025"

For tensioners, the Dangerfield 5 Piece Pro Mix Tension Tool Set is fine for starters - 2 ToK, 3 BoK. Or go with the Sparrows Full Set Flat Pry Bar Tension Tools and any couple of BoK tensioners.

end :words:, sorry all

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

jaete posted:

Hm, I thought many cities have started introducing limits on AirBnB already, such as London like a year or two ago? Not sure about the details though, but something like "you can only put a place up on AirBnB for a max 30 days a year" and obviously "you must declare AirBnB income as rental income".

Its 90 days. I don't think its anything to do with the city. Theres so many ways round it and depending on location you can make more money than just renting out but it does become a job. Your basically a cleaner, launderette and on call handyman. Dunno if this is good or bad. There are whole agencies setup around doing it and as the law has finally caught up with rental agencies I expect a lot more people to move this way in certain cities.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its 90 days. I don't think its anything to do with the city. Theres so many ways round it and depending on location you can make more money than just renting out but it does become a job. Your basically a cleaner, launderette and on call handyman. Dunno if this is good or bad. There are whole agencies setup around doing it and as the law has finally caught up with rental agencies I expect a lot more people to move this way in certain cities.

so it’s running a hotel except avoiding all the proper taxes and regulation

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
lock picking chat:

Not sure this is a great idea on an open-to-the-public forum (which it is right now).
(Though I'm sure the info is available elsewhere on the internet).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

lock picking chat:

Not sure this is a great idea on an open-to-the-public forum (which it is right now).

Afaik there's public lockpick associations though, they just tell you not to break locks you're not allowed to open already?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

bump_fn posted:

Disrupted!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Perfidious Frogs: Britane to be booted out of EU unless it can sort its poo poo out

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

bump_fn posted:

yeah, except also if your doing hotel level number of rooms your spread out across several properties adding cost and faff. I dunno what the whole dodging hotelness gains or loses everyone involved.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

When you put it like that, I could imagine the brexiteer Gammons suddenly switching to 'how dare the dam froggies tell us we have to leave' and suddenly switching to remain.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

To be for Brexit is to be against Brexit.

Pfeffy has threatened to gently caress the EU by intentionally trying to paralyse its decision making now, so unless new elections are coming up I assume more and more people will be happy to sink Albion.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think taxi driving and letting including hotels should be a licensed activity and that doing it through an app should be no exception.

I disagree about taxi driving: there’s no evidence to suggest it’s safer than the app-based systems and strong evidence suggesting ride-hailing drivers are a lot safer than licensed taxi drivers (link is in Chinese and goes to Supreme Court findings that taxi drivers are more than 10x more likely to be a danger to their passengers than ride-hailing drivers). In most cities the taxi license is nothing to do with safety or being a better driver, and everything to do with who gets to exercise a monopoly and extract the rent from that.

While we’re on rent as a topic, I agree obtaining rent from owning a property is the one most immoral way of obtaining money from capital accumulation - which is itself the most immoral way of obtaining money short of direct physical violence - but in a world where the 0.01% have both all the money and all the political influence, I’m not going to get mad at bob the builder renting out a second home to fund his retirement - so long as he votes labour and understands that a labour government will take away that part of his wealth eventually (or at least make it a lot less valuable). Smashing the current system is going to be a lot easier if a majority (or even a plurality) of petty bourgeois can be turned first; without them, it may not be possible at all.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

From Pm to Pothole inspector

She should have gone pothead instead and made millions getting weed legal in the UK

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

suck my woke dick posted:

To be for Brexit is to be against Brexit.

Pfeffy has threatened to gently caress the EU by intentionally trying to paralyse its decision making now, so unless new elections are coming up I assume more and more people will be happy to sink Albion.

Which is exactly why he did it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jedit posted:

Which is exactly why he did it.

if he has to be remembered as the worst modern prime minister of the United Kingdom, he may as well also be remembered as the last

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Captain Fargle posted:

When we have these discussions about rent and stuff it always seems a shame to me that we couldn't get some kind of UKMT housing co-op going.

Yeah, I've often had the same thought. I have a friend who lives in a co-op in Cambridge, and while it comes with its own share of problems they don't really hit the existential level of "my landlord might just decide to evict me"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I understand that the law passed by parliament requires BoJo The Clown to ask for an extension.

Is there any thing that requires him to keep it on the table long enough for the EU to accept it?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

SirFozzie posted:

I understand that the law passed by parliament requires BoJo The Clown to ask for an extension.

Is there any thing that requires him to keep it on the table long enough for the EU to accept it?

Before last week I would have said "I don't think he's going to go "Can we have an extension?" and the EU says "Y-" and he interrupts and goes "Welp, I asked, no reply. We withdraw the request."" but we're in full on Calvinball territory here who even knows what kind of bullshit he'll pull.

I get the French position and I know it's largely for the domestic audience, but as a remainer I do wish France would shut up about this. Getting the extension is how we can try to put our poo poo back together because it's the condition that makes a snap election safe for us to have. But as I said I get their position too. Can't blame them for being pissed as hell.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, not exactly. Tanks at the time were divided into light, medium, and heavy machines (although British latewar cruisers were really medium-lights, big tanks with big guns, big engines, and zero armour). There were some fairly good medium tanks out there, like the T-34 and later the Panther, but they didn't have the firepower or survivability of true heavies, and even the lightest, fastest heavies like the Russian IS were still slow, lumbering beasts. That was what true main battle tanks like the Centurion brought to the table - proper heavy tank firepower on something that could actually climb hills and turn corners. It was great at everything, not merely OK at everything like a midwar medium.

The Panther wasn't a good medium tank.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like the Churchill cause it looks cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I am probably gonna sound like a massive square but what's the appeal of lock picking? Is it just the challenge, like a puzzle?