Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the thing i'm most excited about Daemon X Machina is the apparently thorough ice cream upgrade system it has

i don't care whether i'm getting a 90mm machine vulcan or a buster rifle or a beam magnum for my mech, i care about whether i'm getting mint chip or rocky road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zushio posted:

The point you offer than Shinji is depressed and abused is a valid reason for his behaviour. I'm not willing to say being abused makes it okay for you to abuse someone else though. The show does tend to glorify his actions I felt, and often played whole he was right all along card.
I've seen many an Eva take in my day but the show apparently "glorifying" Shinji's actions sure is a new one.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I've seen many an Eva take in my day but the show apparently "glorifying" Shinji's actions sure is a new one.

Right? It was pretty blatant that Shinji's actions are actively harmful both to himself and those around him.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Zushio posted:

The point you offer than Shinji is depressed and abused is a valid reason for his behaviour. I'm not willing to say being abused makes it okay for you to abuse someone else though. The show does tend to glorify his actions I felt, and often played whole he was right all along card.

The idea that the whole show was about the compulsively seeking companionship feels off to me. End of Evangelion, yes, absolutely is that. I'd say throughout the show Shinji attempts to maintain his individuality at all costs. Even one of the core concepts of the show, the AT Field, is a manifestation of the user's will to remain an individual. If we view the Angel's/Gendo's goal as assimilation/conformity into the cultural norm then even EoE has Shinji reject that unity in the end. It is clouded though because he brings someone with him in to his isolation then immediately kills them. Does that imply that he should have made the choice to have his identity subsumed in order to prevent the murder? I think much of the fine details of these things are either muddled on purpose, lost to budget constraints, or a result of the just slapping together whatever sounded cool and edgy. That is literally how we got so much religious symbolism and stuff in the plot, by the directors own admission he had no actual understanding of any of it.
Asuka doesn't die lol

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is this what watching something without eyes is

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nate RFB posted:

The only time shinji is ever praised in the show is when he learns to accept himself and his relationship with other people right st the end and even then doesn't go well lolm

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The only time shinji is ever praised in the show is when he learns to accept himself and his relationship with other people right st the end and even then doesn't go well lolm

It all just comes tumbling down for him at the end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i collected 30 tiny gears in okage for ari's best sword and i can't even tell if it does appreciably higher damage than his previous one cause the damage numbers in this game are so weirdly random

also it looks like this deep grave pit dungeon is gonna be really long lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Eva is actually about the anime industry after the 80s bubble collapsed. Anne is Shinji the depressed creator who is reluctant to save a doomed project, The ever changing angels are voracious fans whose tastes are unknowing and arbitrary, Genji is Hayao Miyazaki the perpetually disappointed father, Shinji’s mom represents the purity of art that is dead and unreachable, and the project is always understaffed and poorly funded.

That is the correct reading. Squall is dead, the blocks in Mario are transformed toads, Super Smash Bros takes place in St. Elsewhere.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i almost feel like i've attained this zen state with okage where i can peace out as long as it takes to clear the dungeons since the game is never really difficult enough to make you actually think that much but also i know that if i had to play this game on original hardware without fast forward i probably would get a lot madder at it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i almost feel like i've attained this zen state with okage where i can peace out as long as it takes to clear the dungeons since the game is never really difficult enough to make you actually think that much but also i know that if i had to play this game on original hardware without fast forward i probably would get a lot madder at it

I beat the game on PS2 and while it never gets hard it does have a weird difficulty curve where an enemies do barely any damage to you but then there’s one that hits you with a one-hit KO or a spell that hits a random number of times for like 1-30 damage per hit so you either take nothing or just die. I know exactly what you’re talking about, I basically slept through the grave dungeon then got complacent and the boss destroyed the protag.

10 loving floors later...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

I beat the game on PS2 and while it never gets hard it does have a weird difficulty curve where an enemies do barely any damage to you but then there’s one that hits you with a one-hit KO or a spell that hits a random number of times for like 1-30 damage per hit so you either take nothing or just die. I know exactly what you’re talking about, I basically slept through the grave dungeon then got complacent and the boss destroyed the protag.

10 loving floors later...

i heard that this chapter has a rough ending so yeah i'm kinda bracing for that

i think the only part i realyl had trouble with before was big bull evil king, guy can just wreck your poo poo with his basic attack and kisling was totally useless as a third party member so that didn't help

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

congratulations shinji

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

rabidsquid posted:

congratulations shinji

Congratulations

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope some day nora to toki no kobo, the atlus atelier-like with music by the wild arms composer, gets translated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_4QFpKLuGc

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
got to chapter 6 in lydie and suelle and I'm just wondering if equipment upgrading is just slapping the addons to your weapons/armor?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

got to chapter 6 in lydie and suelle and I'm just wondering if equipment upgrading is just slapping the addons to your weapons/armor?

It's been a while, but I think so. Optimizing equipment in Atelier games is usually all about putting good traits onto them, rather than about making higher-end weapons with higher base numbers (though that's part of it)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that this specific song off the nora to toki ost has very wild arms-esque whistling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJTyieBSVPg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished Grandia 1. Game is 15 hours longer than it should be, pacing is a train wreck with a lot of disc 1 being filler dungeons with 0 narrative purpose, a really badly thought out optional content set, leveling mechanics designed to make you stop having fun and thanks to the pacing the absolute worst "the heros friends support him in the hour of his need" outside of motherfucking owlboy. On the plus side they basically fixed everything in grandia 2 right down to reusing some thematic beats and dungeons from grandia 1 but in an actually satisfying way.

Also whoever is responsible for the mp gain system failed to address problem 1 with such a system so despite being grossly overpowered and running roughshod over the final boss my Feena couldnt cast her capstone magic spell because having the mp to cast it is pure RNG. Good thing offensive magic is basically a waste of a turn around 2/3rds of the way into the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

It's two parts

When you're first making weapons and armor, the stat bonuses on the cloths and ingots will affect the equipment's stats. When you slap addons, the addon effects will get copied over and you can select some traits too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Booted up Grandia 2 to learn that they spoil the games really good twist right loving there at the start because they used the wrong video clip

Edit: Laffo the game basically starts with Cam Clarke talking to Cam Clarke

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 9, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

you want good quality and stat materials on the weapon and good traits on the components

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tired Moritz posted:

it's janky as poo poo but yeah you'll want to slap on silvalia and moffcloths where applicable (and you'll need to hit the highest thresholds you can to maximize stat gains)

for armor you also have to worry about traits of the ingredients, like those increasing your defenses or HP or the parameter stats, while for weapons you need to attach weapon cores to boost stats further and to actually attach traits to the weapons; like an orb of speed of light for sue, for instance, with traits boosting skill damage or attack or reducing MP consumption or whatnot

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

i think the only part i realyl had trouble with before was big bull evil king, guy can just wreck your poo poo with his basic attack and kisling was totally useless as a third party member so that didn't help

i hope for your sake that you decide to give kisling another chance

because if you don't then, well

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Who else playing Greedfall tomorrow?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

i hope for your sake that you decide to give kisling another chance

because if you don't then, well

you can just tell me to grind him up a bit, you know

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

frajaq posted:

It’s out in a few hours

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

frajaq posted:

I’m very interested but waiting for at least some reviews first. Very little information about it is out but the little there is looks promising.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

frajaq posted:

I got a copy early and played it for a bit, it falls somewhere between the better BioWare games and not as embarrassingly awful as ME: Andromeda.
Biggest problem is it's doesn't really have a lot of personality outside of its unique setting, very bland characters and dialogue so far.
That said my weekend has sucked and I didn't get too far in it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I got a copy early and played it for a bit, it falls somewhere between the better BioWare games and not as embarrassingly awful as ME: Andromeda.
Biggest problem is it's doesn't really have a lot of personality outside of its unique setting, very bland characters and dialogue so far.
That said my weekend has sucked and I didn't get too far in it.

how jank is the euro in it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's surprisingly polished? Like not AAA but it runs decently on a PS4 and I haven't noticed much other than some dodgy as gently caress hit boxes in combat. Oh and there's no telling what level a quest is really for and you can end up facing people with skull icons pretty quick.

E: oh yeah quest chains are ridiculously long, like every time you think you've finished one it turns out there's more stuff to do and you don't get any exp until you finish the whole thing.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 9, 2019

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Anybody else buy a PSP Vita to play PS1 RPG's again? I never got to play Suikoden II and instead of getting it PS3 store, I'd much rather get a old version Vita (before 3.60 I believe?) to run homebrew/play a lot of old PS1 RPGs I never got around to.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

it's doesn't really have a lot of personality outside of its unique setting, very bland characters and dialogue so far.

Could some of this be the translation?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

knox posted:

Anybody else buy a PSP Vita to play PS1 RPG's again? I never got to play Suikoden II and instead of getting it PS3 store, I'd much rather get a old version Vita (before 3.60 I believe?) to run homebrew/play a lot of old PS1 RPGs I never got around to.

I didn't buy it for that reason, but homebrew and emulators have given my old Vita a new life. I'm just gonna have to buy a grip because it's not the most comfortable thing to hold for hours on end, for my hands anyway.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

If I really liked Persona 5, and was thinking about grabbing Trails of Cold Steel but was daunted by there being 6 (8/9) games in that series, should I grab Tokyo Xanadu EX+ off the gog sale instead? I hear its a good budget take on those two. I've played nothing in the series, and P5 was my first and only Persona so far.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Coldsteel itself is only 4 games (2 out in english, 3rd out soonish). The other games don't need to be played, they're just in the same world.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mokinokaro posted:

Could some of this be the translation?

I assume competent French translators can't be that hard to find but who knows

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bagrada posted:

If I really liked Persona 5, and was thinking about grabbing Trails of Cold Steel but was daunted by there being 6 (8/9) games in that series, should I grab Tokyo Xanadu EX+ off the gog sale instead? I hear its a good budget take on those two. I've played nothing in the series, and P5 was my first and only Persona so far.

Cold Steel is closer to what you want. There are references from the other games in the series like Trails in the Sky but Cold Steel was my first and I've had zero issues following it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bagrada posted:

The first two Cold Steels are a self-contained story that's still easy enough to follow if they're your first Trails games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume competent French translators can't be that hard to find but who knows

Find? Probably. Actually pay to have competent translators? Doesn't always happen.

I don't know about this game in particular, but something I've noticed with...middling quality European developers, which it sounds like Spiders is, they seem to have a bad habit of having their translations done by somebody who knows a reasonable amount of (target language), but isn't actually skilled at translation. Which can lead to some horribly dry writing.