Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
shadow hog, linguica, kins, et al, i had a question occur to me last night, in megawads, does map30 have to have an icon of sin? like, is the romero head death the only thing that triggers the endgame intermission in doom 2, or is just customary to have it that way?

site fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It's not necessary at all, no.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, it's just sort of conventional, but you can break that convention at your discretion. Likewise you don't have to have Mancubi and Arachnotrons on MAP07 (or assign Tag 666 or 667), nor do you have to have a secret exit on MAP15 or MAP31 (although this renders the secret maps inaccessible without cheats if you don't use UMAPINFO or something). What you can't disable on MAP30 is the fact that monsters can telefrag you (to accommodate the Icon of Sin's arbitrarily spawning them), which they normally can't do (they'd normally be blocked from teleporting if their destination is blocked).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shadow Hog posted:

What you can't disable on MAP30 is the fact that monsters can telefrag you (to accommodate the Icon of Sin's arbitrarily spawning them), which they normally can't do (they'd normally be blocked from teleporting if their destination is blocked).

This only applies to monsters using an actual teleporter right? I swear to God while playing baculus this past week i got telefragged by an archvile resurrecting a monster that i happened to be standing on

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If you liked Ancient Aliens in Doom, you may like this:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/108865-rc1-release-alienated-10-levels-for-gzdoom/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, it's just sort of conventional, but you can break that convention at your discretion. Likewise you don't have to have Mancubi and Arachnotrons on MAP07 (or assign Tag 666 or 667), nor do you have to have a secret exit on MAP15 or MAP31 (although this renders the secret maps inaccessible without cheats if you don't use UMAPINFO or something). What you can't disable on MAP30 is the fact that monsters can telefrag you (to accommodate the Icon of Sin's arbitrarily spawning them), which they normally can't do (they'd normally be blocked from teleporting if their destination is blocked).

There’s at least one megawad with no normal exit from MAP15 and MAP31, making you play through all 32 levels. Might also be one where the normal exit is a death exit, and only by going through the secret levels do you get to keep your arsenal.

And of course a shoutout to Valiant’s “The Mancubian Candidate” for the smartest use of a MAP07 Mancubi tag.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Whoaaaaaa :stare: that looks fuckin' :krad:

Downloading

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

nice, i loved the aesthetic of aa

e: in my browse through the zdoom forums ive come across this mod which eliminates the delays in switching weapons and makes firing the pistol, shotgun, and ssg instant. unfortunately it also has a couple other wonky things in it that im not too keen on, the original modder made it so collecting a berskerk pack doesnt auto switch to fist, and the shotguns have a thing where if you switch before the reload animation finishes and cancel, when you switch back it has to go through the animation. it makes sense, but id rather you just have to finish reloading before it allows you to swap and ive asked nightfright if its possible to make a fork that gets rid of the extra stuff, but we'll see what he says

site fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 8, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ooh, I found the AA set in Final Doomer to be a bit difficult to find a good set for (it works real well with 50 Shades of Graytall, by the way), this looks great.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

site posted:

This only applies to monsters using an actual teleporter right? I swear to God while playing baculus this past week i got telefragged by an archvile resurrecting a monster that i happened to be standing on
I have never had this happen but then I tend to play on GZDoom, where they possibly classified this as a bug and "fixed" it, so IDK.

Generally speaking it's only for teleporters, but it also means that if you put an Icon of Sin in any non-MAP30 map and it spawns an enemy inside you, neither of you die, you just get stuck in each other. It sucks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah see, i was running gz and had buddha mode on, which

quote:

buddha
Gives you an indestructible hit point: no normal attack can remove that last hit point from you (certain death effects such as telefragging will still kill you). This is a more useful cheat than god mode for testing monsters or levels.

so i cant think of any other way i wouldve died lol

Shadow Hog posted:

it also means that if you put an Icon of Sin in any non-MAP30 map and it spawns an enemy inside you, neither of you die, you just get stuck in each other. It sucks.

this sounds pretty funny tho, i wonder what that looks like when it happens

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You may know this already but there's a buddha2 command which is just buddha but for real you can't lose that 1 hp

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

site posted:

You've seen The Fly? "You've commited murder just as much as Crash did. You killed an imp with a marine head. She killed a marine with an imp head."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Whoaaaaaa :stare: that looks fuckin' :krad:

Downloading

site posted:

nice, i loved the aesthetic of aa

catlord posted:

Ooh, I found the AA set in Final Doomer to be a bit difficult to find a good set for (it works real well with 50 Shades of Graytall, by the way), this looks great.

I played the first two levels and flew around in the third level, to get a feel for it. In my opinion, it's going to be a good WAD, apart from visually striking. It's very nice to look at (it starts nicely, but it makes a even bigger jump in level 3!), the situations that presents you are varied and interesting, the difficulty is challenging without being super tough, and I didn't get stuck anywhere. It's a bit stingy in ammo, but I think that's a feature of the first two levels, they give you the chainsaw and you are supposed to use it. HMP and UV are very similar, UV seems to only have a handful of extra enemies (although I guess they are Archviles or Cyber demons or whatever).

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

site posted:

Shadow Hog posted:

I have never had this happen but then I tend to play on GZDoom, where they possibly classified this as a bug and "fixed" it, so IDK.
Just tested this gubbins on MAP30 using Choco and a (needlessly overdetailed) map to make it easy; Arch-Viles still won't even try to resurrect monsters if you're occupying their space.

Shadow Hog posted:

Generally speaking it's only for teleporters, but it also means that if you put an Icon of Sin in any non-MAP30 map and it spawns an enemy inside you, neither of you die, you just get stuck in each other. It sucks.

site posted:

Nothing unusual really. The monster just appears there and neither of you can move until one of you dies. It's basically like using IDCLIP to run into a monster's hitbox then turning it off again. If you're on a spawntarget for the IoS then more monsters slowly get added to the pile of stuck actors and (eventually) Doom2.exe shits the bed :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zaphod42 posted:

You may know this already but there's a buddha2 command which is just buddha but for real you can't lose that 1 hp

Buddha2 breaks some exits

site fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 9, 2019

Henker
May 5, 2009

I actually loved Blood 2 as a kid, so I was not aware of what a mess the development of the game was. Granted, I had not actually played Blood 1 at the time, and as soon as I did I immediately acknowledged the clear superiority of the original and could see why the sequel was such a disappointment to everyone.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
honestly i liked it too but i played it fully patched and using cheats and was also like eleven so i didn't know what good things were yet

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

For some reason I also like Blood 2, but that engine just falls apart at the slightest cough.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

supergayboy posted:

UT3 is one of the few games where, to me at least, is brought down almost entirely on art direction alone. I actually load it up and play it once in a while and I don't think it's a bad game at all, just horribly mismanaged.

Wholeheartedly agreed, and I've said as much at some point over the course of the thread. How a game looks can be surprisingly important. The most succinct way I can describe it is that UT99 feels like a basketball court and UT3 feels like a museum where you're afraid to touch anything. It's way over-designed. It's made to be looked at, not played.

And yet, beneath the surface it actually plays well. But it actively discourages you from doing so.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I tried to play UT3 at a time where my friends and I were all really enjoying UT2004 (even doing some Machinima stuff with it) and none of us could enjoy it. It was less colorful, more gritty, and yes, way overdesigned. I wonder what would've happened if, instead of making UT3 after Gears of War, Epic made UT3 after doing Bulletstorm.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I don't hate UT3's aesthetic, its very gears of war (that's what Epic was at the time) but graphically it looks very impressive overall.

The game itself is just such a disappointing barebones mess after the extremely creative and high-content 2k3 and 2k4 releases.

Also there was an AWFUL bug where if you had a certain CPU and you played the one capture the flag mode or whatever, if you ever looked at the portals your computer would INSTANTLY BLUESCREEN.

I'm serious, its the worst most game-breaking bug I've ever experienced in any videogame of my life. Not in Skyrim, in UT3. They never even fixed it! I figured "they'll patch this poo poo in a week" and I loaded the game up a month later.

I could play team deathmatch for hours, but if I played that CTF mode or whatever, it would run perfectly fine until your turned your view to show a portal and BOOM, instant computer crash.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I played a lot of UT'99 with bots and a had a lot of fun. I also quite enjoyed the Quake 3 Team Arena gigantoid maps with bots and had a lot of fun. I don't multiplayer because I'm anti social and don't have friends. But if I wanted to jump into a cool game and hit bots with guns, is Q3A and UT still where it's at?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best part about playing the original UT facing worlds was getting the sniper rifle and going to the top of your tower since back then a sizable amount of people still had dial up they'd respawn on either side of their tower but their input would be delayed for a second or two so you could rack up an insane number of headshots.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nah, the best part about facing worlds was doing the impact hammer translocator trick to sneak into the back of the enemy base and then hitting the button and instantly dying because you had accidentally launched it into deep space

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay i think i did this right, edited that fastswap mod i posted about yesterday to bring back vanilla berserk pack behavior and got rid of the shotgun interruption thing, so now all it does is make the weapon switch times faster and have the pistol/shotgun/ssg fire immediately on button press

https://mega.nz/#!bGpUwCJS!fIdkuVRR76y58cGo6_DYNOkROVqEG0YbftEeqJ6u9Pg

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
has anyone ever put the lancer or the gnasher or the oneshot from gears in doom

the lancer seems like it should be in doom

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ETPC posted:

has anyone ever put the lancer or the gnasher or the oneshot from gears in doom

the lancer seems like it should be in doom

The lancer is just glory kills but a decade earlier.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I still boot up UT99 every once and awhile just to play around with the Corpse Mania mod. It's a basic survival game mode where zombies keep spawning and the goal is to outlive all your teammates. It works well with bots and can get surprisingly tense at times.

Link

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1171121218231009280?s=19

Gotta love the doom community

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The lancer is just glory kills but a decade earlier.

you aren't wrong

also the tactical reload is one of the most satisfying mechanics in a shooter since the rocket jump

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chaosapiant posted:

I played a lot of UT'99 with bots and a had a lot of fun. I also quite enjoyed the Quake 3 Team Arena gigantoid maps with bots and had a lot of fun. I don't multiplayer because I'm anti social and don't have friends. But if I wanted to jump into a cool game and hit bots with guns, is Q3A and UT still where it's at?
I think it’s either those two or UT2004; I don’t think bots are big anymore.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ETPC posted:

you aren't wrong

also the tactical reload is one of the most satisfying mechanics in a shooter since the rocket jump

i dont want to look at no reload bar when im killing poo poo

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

verbal enema posted:

No kidding. I never played the sequels but the original Gears may be the worst game I've bothered to finish.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

verbal enema posted:

You're supposed to memorise the timing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also when you are reloading you are by definition not killing things

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
instead of reloading maybe it could be something else. i just like the feel of the tactical reload

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Druaga1 and fasa play Q3A with each other, one on Dreamcast and the other on Windows 98

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Happy 20th, Dreamcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

haveblue posted:

Also when you are reloading you are by definition not killing things
Borderlands 2 was ahead of its time in this one specific way.