Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think I was the first person through security at the airport this morning and now it's just me and like 5 other people sat in this huge departures corridor listening to extremely haunting ambient piano music over the tannoy.

Good morning UKMT, death to all landlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

suck my woke dick posted:

US Tank Destroyer Doctrine.

Discuss.

StuG as assault gun or Tank Hunter.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This just in Corbyn was selling jam containers labeled with 350mil NHS logos years before and boris stole the idea

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

big scary monsters posted:

I think I was the first person through security at the airport this morning and now it's just me and like 5 other people sat in this huge departures corridor listening to extremely haunting ambient piano music over the tannoy.

Good morning UKMT, death to all landlords.

Been in a similar situation, nearly deserted airports are my aesthetic

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Been in a similar situation, nearly deserted airports are my aesthetic

Meanwhile I'm stuck in Narita airport, Tokyo as there's a typhoon that's stopped all transport in and out indefinitely. It's heaving with sweaty, exhausted and pissed off people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Flipswitch posted:

I am probably gonna sound like a massive square but what's the appeal of lock picking? Is it just the challenge, like a puzzle?
Means you never have to remember your keys.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Necrothatcher posted:

Meanwhile I'm stuck in Narita airport, Tokyo as there's a typhoon that's stopped all transport in and out indefinitely. It's heaving with sweaty, exhausted and pissed off people.

Is it also far too hot? For some reason, airports have their temperature set like it's a frikking hospital.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Flipswitch posted:

I am probably gonna sound like a massive square but what's the appeal of lock picking? Is it just the challenge, like a puzzle?

I was repainting the laundry at a tenant complex once. They had this timer board where each tenant had a lock and you put it in at the time you wanted to claim the laundry. Then when it was your time you could take the lock out and put it into the door to the laundry area itself so no one could get in while your laundry was in there.

We had specifically put signs all over the board that we were repainting and that no laundry should be done at the time but someone still did and put their little lock in the door so we couldn't get in.

I had a very cheap set of lockpicks in my wallet and used it to get the lock open and put it back on the board. It was the first time ever I found use for those picks and the first non practice lock I ever unlocked.

Lockpicks are overwhelmingly garbage for any modern lock though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Eschenique posted:

We had specifically put signs all over the board that we were repainting and that no laundry should be done at the time but someone still did and put their little lock in the door so we couldn't get in.

What did you expect from a twatsystem?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

What did you expect from a twatsystem?

gently caress I was gonna make that joke.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Name of my new d-beat/crust band.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Good morning people

What are the odds of Johnson’s snap election reaching the two thirds threshold today after the royal ascent of the no no deal legislation?

Also I’d definitely spend 12 hours at Heathrow

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm gonna say zero again, and then we'll be flooded with a dozen horrible "BUT WE THOUGHT YOU WANTED AN ELECTION JEREMY" op-eds.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Chuka Umana posted:

Good morning people

What are the odds of Johnson’s snap election reaching the two thirds threshold today after the royal ascent of the no no deal legislation?

Also I’d definitely spend 12 hours at Heathrow

Zero. The opposition parties have all agreed not to vote for it.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Why does Johnson want a snap election and Corbyn doesn't?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because he wants to brexit by the end of october and parliament has just told him he can't, so he wants to fight an election on that and likely win it. If he's forced to delay brexit he loses a lot of support from the brexit brigade.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Eschenique posted:

Johnson wants to do an election now where his propaganda is that he is the Champion of the Will of the People, which is being frustrated by Traitors and Communists and Remoaners.

Corbyn and everyone sensible wants to force Johnson to break his promise to leave with no deal on October 31 and only fight an election then. The hope is that this will wreck Johnson’s credibility with the gammon vote.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also if Boris dissolves Parliament for an Election there's no-one to punish him if he refuses to go to the EU for an extension. If/when that extension happens then tickety tock it's election o'clock.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Eschenique posted:

Because if he runs an election now he can either do more fuckery while parliament is dissolved to try to facilitate no-deal (rearranging election dates, refusing to obey no deal preventing laws, or the like), or if he decides to not try that can still have the election mid-october and campaign on brexiting on oct 31st as planned without a deal, as a parliamentary majority will allow him to tear up anything put out beforehand. Robbing him of his 31st or bust talking points is both very funny and makes it less like he'll be able to keep hold of the Brexit party soft support he's gained by his hardline brexit stance and doing things Farage likes. A brexit dealine further than 2 weeks from election day also might mean the election could possibly be fought over literally anything other than brexit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Necrothatcher posted:

Oof. Goondolences, stuck in an airplane with mass delays is loving awful.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Unfortunately most people seem to require a fair amount of their own space but yeah I could quite happily live with only a single personal room in the same building as 100s of other people, provided that there were good shared facilities (shower rooms, kitchens, gym, laundry, garden / outdoor areas).

I’d happily live in a mega apartment building with High Rise style facilities but hell no to only my room being the private part. Room, kitchen, living room and bathroom for myself. First and only time I had a roommate I said “never again”.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

I disagree about taxi driving: there’s no evidence to suggest it’s safer than the app-based systems and strong evidence suggesting ride-hailing drivers are a lot safer than licensed taxi drivers (link is in Chinese and goes to Supreme Court findings that taxi drivers are more than 10x more likely to be a danger to their passengers than ride-hailing drivers). In most cities the taxi license is nothing to do with safety or being a better driver, and everything to do with who gets to exercise a monopoly and extract the rent from that.

Hmm, why would illegal taxi drivers in China have a much lower rate of reported offences? :iiam: This might be the most ridiculous bit of Uber-justification I've ever seen.

Meanwhile in London Uber attempted to bypass existing laws on driver vetting and car inspections for PHV operators, failed to report sexual assaults by it's drivers, and used dodgy private detective companies to work out which of their users worked for TfL to ensure only certain of their drivers were ever sent to them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think its pretty safe for opposition to block elections until after the 31st since Johnson cannot govern effectively in a minority government.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

suck my woke dick posted:

To be for Brexit is to be against Brexit.

Pfeffy has threatened to gently caress the EU by intentionally trying to paralyse its decision making now, so unless new elections are coming up I assume more and more people will be happy to sink Albion.

They've tried variants of that threat at times throughout the negotiations

I think what it mainly achieves is making clear that the UK's negotiating in bad faith and any important stuff must be nailed extremely hard or it won't stick. I don't think that 'we're gonna beat you at EU law' would worry the eurocrats even if the UK were good at this stuff, EU structures and laws are made with this sort of stuff in mind

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Flipswitch posted:

For me I'm not really interested in the act of picking the lock, but I would be very interested in knowing which locks are easier or harder to pick than other locks. Probably unsurprising that this info doesn't seem to be easily available in any lockmaker's official documentation.

If I someday have my own door to lock, is this thing for example any good? Better/worse than whatever standard thing is usually used in the UK? How would I know?

What about for locking my bicycle (yeah I know, it can be partially disassembled anyway because lol, but still)?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All the bikes I've ever seen nicked have been via cutting through the lock - never by picking a lock or disassembling the bike (except I think once when someone was dumb enough to only lock through the front wheel).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Flayer posted:

I think its pretty safe for opposition to block elections until after the 31st since Johnson cannot govern effectively in a minority government.

I'm actually more worried about the lib dems and other right wingers not voting for an election after this moment in time has passed.

If they absorbed enough of the Tory defectors they'd happily offer to be in a tory coalition again at the cost of stopping Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

I'm actually more worried about the lib dems and other right wingers not voting for an election after this moment in time has passed.

If they absorbed enough of the Tory defectors they'd happily offer to be in a tory coalition again at the cost of stopping Brexit.

That seems fine though? Like surely that guarantees a bigger labour swing later on? Yellow tories gonna tory, conservative party utterly worthless having devoted its entire being to doing brexit and failing, labour only ones with any sort of plan afterwards?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
locks, locks, locks

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

lock picking chat:

Not sure this is a great idea on an open-to-the-public forum (which it is right now).
(Though I'm sure the info is available elsewhere on the internet).
Plenty of open locksport communities discussing lockpicking; it's safe picking that tends to not get discussed publicly. Equipment is all legal to own in the UK, just don't walk around with it or you're Going Equipped. As always, standard disclaimer, only pick locks that aren't in use, and that you own or the owner has given permission to pick.

Flipswitch posted:

Intersection of the security, puzzle, and "trains / manhole covers" communities, also good for coordination

Eschenique posted:

Lockpicks are overwhelmingly garbage for any modern lock though.
Depends how you define 'modern'. Locks with electronic components, sure, can't use picks on those. Assa Twin or Abloy disc detainer or some of the more esoteric locks, very hard but possible given time, skill, and possibly custom tools. But something like the Brisant Ultion? Residential lock, released earlier this year, incredible anti-snap and anti-drill but a semi-competent picker can get one open in about 5 minutes. And a lot of locks installed in residential doors / sheds are nowhere near that good, unfortunately.

jaete posted:

If I someday have my own door to lock, is this thing for example any good? Better/worse than whatever standard thing is usually used in the UK? How would I know?

What about for locking my bicycle (yeah I know, it can be partially disassembled anyway because lol, but still)?
Abloy disc detainers like this one are good locks, needs custom-built equipment and high skill to pick, not many people can do it so it's pretty safe. (ed: picking isn't much of a concern for residential locks at the moment anyway). For bikes, dunno, this seems recommended.

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 9, 2019

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Couple of pages back, but yeah I kinda know about this. I've had a few experiences with drugs and with drug users, but GHB is really quite awful. I know multiple people who've gone to rehab and relapsed, multiple times and usually when something bad happens at a party GHB's involved. One of the worst things about it is that, though most people try it in a party setting, because of its incredible addictiveness and relatively low price it's very easy to buy it in bulk and start using it throughout the day. Something I still haven't forgiven one my best friends -a pretty big drug user himself- for is taking one of our housemates to a party in Amsterdam even though he knew she had gone to rehab for a GHB-addiction and multiple people would be using G at that party. The inevitable thing happened and she eventually relapsed and actually bought €250 worth of G that night, a big wine bottle filled with the stuff. Because she didn't trust herself with it I had to keep that bottle in my fridge 'just till she found a buyer'. One thing led to another and eventually I had to provide her daily doses, something I definitely wasn't comfortable with, but I couldn't just give her the whole thing because I was deadly afraid of her OD'ing. She's still alive, thank God, but she's been on it for about a year and I can't imagine her quitting, I just hope she quits before she dies because this can't go on.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So, do we think we're going to get normal levels on Brexit insanity (Government failing a VONC against itself) or do people think we're going to get extra strange again today?

Its monday, so go knows what plotting has gone on over the weekend.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Did anyone watch the ghb documentary? It was on pretty late so I didnt

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Would the LibDems really go into a coalition with the Tories? It seems like a weird look to join a coalition with the people you just rebelled against

Back from the spirit world to ask people to please stop pissing on her grave

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

That seems fine though? Like surely that guarantees a bigger labour swing later on? Yellow tories gonna tory, conservative party utterly worthless having devoted its entire being to doing brexit and failing, labour only ones with any sort of plan afterwards?

lovely coalition that does nothing except cut things and pass confidence votes until 2022...

Its a long time to wait.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ms Fuchi posted:

Would the LibDems really go into a coalition with the Tories? It seems like a weird look to join a coalition with the people you just rebelled against

going into coalition with the tories is their entire raison d'être

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Man, I hope this doesn't clash with their anime movie nights.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Is GHB/GBL more addictive than alcohol? I've always understood it to be something like a fairly plausible GABAergic replacement for booze. So long as you're very careful with dosage and use it responsibly.

I suppose the last sentence is the problem though.

OwlFancier posted:

How would we get our election before 2022 though? A lot more people will die between now and then if we have to wait that long

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Barry Foster posted:

Is GHB/GBL more addictive than alcohol? I've always understood it to be something like a fairly plausible GABAergic replacement for booze. So long as you're very careful with dosage and use it responsibly.

I suppose the last sentence is the problem though.

it is waaaaay more euphoric and short lasting than booze, users call it liquid e for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1170787558462296064?s=19