Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ms Fuchi posted:

Would the LibDems really go into a coalition with the Tories? It seems like a weird look to join a coalition with the people you just rebelled against

Yes they would. They are liars. They are just as bad as the tories.

139: 139 is a happy number!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/joeloyo/status/1170667091726389248?s=19

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This article title made me sigh inwardly:

BBC News - Refugees fleeing Syria to UK: 'I've got a mortgage, a house, a car - we're not trouble'

It's like they don't understand that gammons will see that headline as 'I've stolen a house and a car from you lot and am living it large on benefits'. Orr less charitably that's precisely why they put that quote into the headline. FFS BBC

e: I also like how it celebrates that "more than" only 17 loving thousand syrian refugees settled in the UK. That's, uhh, very impressive, great job settling only such a tiny fraction in the second most populous EU country. Definitely a welcoming place.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 9, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

lovely coalition that does nothing except cut things and pass confidence votes until 2022...

Its a long time to wait.

It is, but I am frankly worried about Labour's ability to win the needed majority even after the delay.

Not cos they're bad but because the UK's just full of loving death cultists and idiot libs.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
could probably use one of those famous government deradicalization programs round about now, just saying

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Is this from Uri Geller? He's a Remainer if I remember correctly.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Flipswitch posted:

I am probably gonna sound like a massive square but what's the appeal of lock picking? Is it just the challenge, like a puzzle?

For some people it's a hobby. I've used my basic lock picking skills to pick a few padlocks over the years where I'd lost the key. A lot more satisfying than cutting the lock off!

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Corbyn and everyone sensible wants to force Johnson to break his promise to leave with no deal on October 31 and only fight an election then. The hope is that this will wreck Johnson’s credibility with the gammon vote.

I’m not liking this plan because it depends on Boris being unwilling to risk a few days in an open prison as a publicity stunt.

It always comes down to if you can’t win an election, you are unlikely to win any other kind of political struggle.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That Italian Guy posted:

Being run by this mob: http://www.happyscience-uk.org/

"Master Ryuho Okawa was born on July 7th, 1956 in Tokushima Prefecture, Japan. After graduating from The University of Tokyo, a prestigious university, he joined an international trading company based in Tokyo. While he worked at the company’s New York headquarter, he studied international finance at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York.

On March 23rd, 1981, Master Okawa attained Great Enlightenment and awakened to the hidden part of his consciousness, El Cantare, whose mission is to bring true happiness to all humanity."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CGI Stardust posted:

Abloy disc detainers like this one are good locks, needs custom-built equipment and high skill to pick, not many people can do it so it's pretty safe. (ed: picking isn't much of a concern for residential locks at the moment anyway). For bikes, dunno, this seems recommended.

The problem with those Kryptonite locks isn't the lock, it's that the chain itself lasts about ten seconds against either bolt croppers or a decent grinder. Most bike security (i.e. for anything costing less than a decent car) isn't about stopping thieves outright anyway, it's about making the next bike along with the 20 quid Halfords u-lock that can be opened with a milk carton look more attractive.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Good morning all.

The next episode of Podcasting Is Praxis is going to be a bit of a focus on the DWP and the hell that has been the effects of Tory policy the last few years.

We’re looking for someone with experience of the move from ESA/JSA or similar to Universal Credit who wishes to talk about their experience.

Don’t worry if you’re concerned in any way about your identity, feel free to use a false name.

If you’re interested and available tomorrow night around half seven for an hour or two, let me know either here or in the discord.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

There's no chance at all that Geller would be in the same postcode as this event and not insist his name and picture be front and centre and considerably larger than Maggie's.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Abolish the home office

https://twitter.com/maybulman/status/1170772418048221186?s=20

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

radmonger posted:

I’m not liking this plan because it depends on Boris being unwilling to risk a few days in an open prison as a publicity stunt.

It always comes down to if you can’t win an election, you are unlikely to win any other kind of political struggle.

For all it will cement the nutter vote, there's a substantial risk that a PM openly breaking the law like this would forfeit far more support than they'd gain. For example:

https://twitter.com/kevinhollinrake/status/1170247019946020864

Boris can't afford to lose another chunk of MPs on the cusp of an election, and that's before you consider all the voters and local party staff. For any frothing Brexiteer this wins over from Farage it's likely he'll lose a more traditional Tory who worships the rule of law and won't vote for a PM that just went to prison.

It's far safer for Johnson to spend the next few weeks just making all the right noises for the crowd about ignoring the law, then make way for a temporary GNU to actually do the extension.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The problem with those Kryptonite locks isn't the lock, it's that the chain itself lasts about ten seconds against either bolt croppers or a decent grinder. Most bike security (i.e. for anything costing less than a decent car) isn't about stopping thieves outright anyway, it's about making the next bike along with the 20 quid Halfords u-lock that can be opened with a milk carton look more attractive.

The Kryptonite u-locks are very good for that - mine has many marks on it when people have tried to saw/grind through it, and given up, so it seems to work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

radmonger posted:

He may only spend a few days in prison, but he runs the risk of being sentenced to a year and a day. If that happens then he won't just stop being PM, he'll be out on his arse as an MP.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1170979758152331265?s=20

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I won't make the claim that the people of Reading are unusually stupid but God drat that's dumb as all hell.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The Kryptonite u-locks are very good for that - mine has many marks on it when people have tried to saw/grind through it, and given up, so it seems to work.

They seem to have upped their game a bit of late but they still make some silly design choices - e.g. not wrapping their chains, like the one above, which both risks loving up your paint and makes thieves lives a lot easier. Big improvement on their old disc lock which you could bend open with a flat-blade screwdriver though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez posted:

It's far safer for Johnson to spend the next few weeks just making all the right noises for the crowd about ignoring the law, then make way for a temporary GNU to actually do the extension.
Is a GNU/Parliament the open source one? And is it the license where they have to release the nonce data?

Thomas Sankara, Evo Morales, Desmond Tutu, @GrittyNHL, and my uncle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gaddafi, could be controversial to some, he's dead now.

Like, him being dead is the reason he's controversial.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

christ his expressions throughout this

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1170985344667271170?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Delay election to after 31st October chat:

One of the reasons leaked for Johnson trying to get it on 15th October was because the students moving around at the start of term wouldn't have time to have got registered to vote (and I assume to set up postal votes if they want to vote at their home address).
A friend with a kid at uni says the student union there have plastered this all over the place.

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2019/09/06/tories-admit-planned-election-timing-was-to-stop-students-voting-voter-registrations-soar/

quote:

More than 200,000 people have applied to be registered as UK voters within 72 hours – as a national newspaper claimed Boris Johnson’s government had set the date of its planned election in the hope that students would not be able to vote.

The BBC is reporting that nearly 200,000 people have registered to vote in 72 hours, and more than half are aged under 35.

https://twitter.com/nadd3rz/status/1169889064037707776

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 9, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Private Speech posted:

This article title made me sigh inwardly:

BBC News - Refugees fleeing Syria to UK: 'I've got a mortgage, a house, a car - we're not trouble'

It's like they don't understand that gammons will see that headline as 'I've stolen a house and a car from you lot and am living it large on benefits'. Orr less charitably that's precisely why they put that quote into the headline. FFS BBC

e: I also like how it celebrates that "more than" only 17 loving thousand syrian refugees settled in the UK. That's, uhh, very impressive, great job settling only such a tiny fraction in the second most populous EU country. Definitely a welcoming place.

They absolutely know and are intending on the reaction of gammons to that headline.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Flipswitch posted:

I am probably gonna sound like a massive square but what's the appeal of lock picking? Is it just the challenge, like a puzzle?

Wannabe warriors collect replica fantasy swords, wannabe rogues collect lock picks.

There is a puzzle element to it that is quite satisfying, and it isn't an expensive hobby to take up. It's also rewarding seeing people on Youribe break into locks advertised as unbeatable in a matter of seconds.

(Yes, I do have a set of picks that fit into an extremely unconvincing fake credit card...)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's pretty great that the uk saw trump and decided to do their best to one up him. Still failed though since bojo's a career politician and not a reality tv star slash slumlord but a good effort all the same. Bonus points for his MP career sliding into the shitter at mach 2, destroyed the one outstanding aspect of May's right fast.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

namesake posted:

I won't make the claim that the people of Reading are unusually stupid but God drat that's dumb as all hell.

It does have a big university.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Being told off by his house master for not doing his prep.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that boris is in fact a reality TV star and the reality TV is politics.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Not all politics is reality TV but all of BoJo's is.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I wish we could dig up some Tories from before the Empire broke up just to make a reaction vid when they see this poo poo :laugh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like he literally got his start from going on have I got news for you. He is absolutely a reality TV star as evidenced by his complete lack of political acumen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Complete the headline

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

It's pretty great that the uk saw trump and decided to do their best to one up him. Still failed though since bojo's a career politician and not a reality tv star slash slumlord but a good effort all the same. Bonus points for his MP career sliding into the shitter at mach 2, destroyed the one outstanding aspect of May's right fast.

I think you'll find that we're perfectly capable of being poo poo under our own initiative, thank you very much

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Delay election to after 31st October chat:

One of the reasons leaked for Johnson trying to get it on 15th October was because the students moving around at the start of term wouldn't have time to have got registered to vote (and I assume to set up postal votes if they want to vote at their home address).
A friend with a kid at uni says the student union there have plastered this all over the place.

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2019/09/06/tories-admit-planned-election-timing-was-to-stop-students-voting-voter-registrations-soar/

https://twitter.com/nadd3rz/status/1169889064037707776

This is one of the things that makes the next GE such a crapshoot - 2017 saw record young voters, polls are all built assuming the olds vote more than the young - but if we see an even greater young turnout, none of those polls are worth the paper they are printed on.
and they are printed on single ply toilet paper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Gaddafi, could be controversial to some, he's dead now.

Like, him being dead is the reason he's controversial.

Nelson Mandela once said that if Africa did something like the EU, Gaddafi should be the head.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
If it feels good, do it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Click into this one

https://twitter.com/_edholden/status/1170958954228310016?s=19

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1170956011286478848

BASTARD Jeremy Corbyn at WEDDING of wrongly convicted IRA TERRORIST SCUM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jedit posted:

Nelson Mandela once said that if Africa did something like the EU, Gaddafi should be the head.

Gaddafi was a big supporter of anti-apartheid work. Mandela's autobiography details a meeting where he gives them a big load of guns for the cause.

He was a peculiar man, to say the least. Dropped a plane on me dad's home town, so I'm not sorry he's dead.