Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/DanielAGleeson/status/1171002195891953674

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1171017492065636352

lmao dang

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm really not sure Boris has the momentum he hopes he has. Parliament is going to be extremely angry with him if he doesn't. So either that's bluster or he's in for some real poo poo once it comes back.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

*taps head* Parliament can't throw you in the tower if you've already prorogued them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

"wee to win 35 seats"

:piss:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*BoJo wearing aviator's helmet* I have written two letters, one asking for the extension, one asking for no extension. All that matters now is who gets there first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omP00bZMcMs&t=78s

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But given this is Big Brain Dommy we could also assume this polling is fake and he's trying to trick the opposition parties into thinking there's blood in the water.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
coalition with the Lib Dems in exchange for a Revoke vs. No Deal referendum, which No Deal wins

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Those numbers don't seem nearly bad enough though? Unless I'm not getting something

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Comedy timeline: Parliament returns after prorogation, immediately has Johnson arrested, Corbyn goes to EU for extension on the promise of an election, tories too busy scrambling for a new leader while Johnson sits in jail, party crashes into the loving ground.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Ok so apparently:

quote:

Once a bill has completed all the parliamentary stages in both Houses, it is ready to receive royal assent. This is when the Queen formally agrees to make the bill into an Act of Parliament (law).

There is no set time period between the conclusion of consideration of amendments/ping pong and royal assent.

What happens at royal assent?
When royal assent has been given, an announcement is made in both Houses – by the Lord Speaker in the Lords and the Speaker in the Commons.

At prorogation (the formal end to a parliamentary session), Black Rod interrupts the proceedings of the Commons and summons MPs to the Lords chamber to hear the Lords commissioners announce royal assent for the bills passed towards the end of the session which had not received royal assent earlier in the year.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/laws/passage-bill/lords/lrds-royal-assent/

So Stick Woman will call the chambers together and that's when we found out if the Benn no-deal bill has royal assent and is actually a thing.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 9, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod sounds like a prequel to Confessions.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Barry Foster posted:

Those numbers don't seem nearly bad enough though? Unless I'm not getting something

Tory internal polling has consistently been optimistic with their chances, even when saying that they're hosed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod sounds like a prequel to

Azza Bamboo posted:

"Nelson Mandela, Obama and My Mum"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Comedy timeline: Parliament returns after prorogation, immediately has Johnson arrested, Corbyn goes to EU for extension on the promise of an election, tories too busy scrambling for a new leader while Johnson sits in jail, party crashes into the loving ground.

:allears: I want to believe.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

ronya posted:

is there much of a network effect, really? there's nothing stopping drivers or customers from having ten apps on their phone. the value-add to drivers of being able to suggest customers who will bring them closer to a particular point is an end-of-shift thing

ride-sharing customers like the network effect too but they are, by definition, always going to be a penny-pinching demographic

a weak network effect is still consistent with some monopolization -- but it would imply very narrow margins

It’s surprisingly difficult to create a challenger. I keep pointing at China because it’s currently the world’s largest ride hailing market, where despite a concerted political effort last year to unseat DiDi and a lot of support from various government factions, they are still reported as having 90%ish market share - and every new safety measure is another barrier to entry. Similarly Uber and Lyft in the US are probably not going anywhere soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

:allears: I want to believe.

I mean it's kinda conceivable tbh, all it really requires is parliament to get serious with johnson if he doesn't do as he's told and there's a lot of MPs who hate the poo poo out of him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/easypoliticsUK/status/1171023969018949633

Johnson gambling on the law not being enforced because he's prime minister.

He's probably right to be fair but I'd love to see that fat gently caress in jail.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/easypoliticsUK/status/1171023969018949633

Johnson gambling on the law not being enforced because he's prime minister.

He's probably right to be fair but I'd love to see that fat gently caress in jail.

Or, y'know, he's just lying through his teeth and will fold when the crunch comes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

If he doesn't go to jail the consequences will be far worse for reasons beyond brexit. That's not a precedent we'll come back from

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

"Not bad enough" in the sense that you would expect the public to chuck these clowns out on their arses after so many years of colossal gently caress ups, yes. Unfortunately both the public and FPTP are poo poo, so if the Tories get around 30-35% and Labour get around 25-30% (as current polls suggest) then you'd expect the Tories to get a good majority. Which seems to be the calculus for calling an early election. If he does worse than May he's not only hosed his chance of ramming legislation through, but he also looks like a complete idiot, even if the Tories end up as the largest party.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Barry Foster posted:

If he doesn't go to jail the consequences will be far worse for reasons beyond brexit. That's not a precedent we'll come back from

Ol' Boris didn't really handle his defeat very graciously did he? Now he's wanting to be in open defiance of parliament? How's that going to pan out?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Niric posted:

"Not bad enough" in the sense that you would expect the public to chuck these clowns out on their arses after so many years of colossal gently caress ups, yes. Unfortunately both the public and FPTP are poo poo, so if the Tories get around 30-35% and Labour get around 25-30% (as current polls suggest) then you'd expect the Tories to get a good majority. Which seems to be the calculus for calling an early election. If he does worse than May he's not only hosed his chance of ramming legislation through, but he also looks like a complete idiot, even if the Tories end up as the largest party.

Yeah that's what I thought.

Cold comfort tbh

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Seriously, this sets a hideous precedent if he defies the law and gets away with it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

tbh comedy would be Corbyn no-confing Boris today, becoming interim PM, cancelling prorogation and then extending A50 on the promise of a GE

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd love to set an important international precedent for impeaching a terrible western leader for breaking the law.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of tories put their careers on the line to tell him to gently caress off, if he tells them to gently caress off right back I really cannot see it going well for him, every second he's in office he burns credibility with his party.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Seriously, this sets a hideous precedent if he defies the law and gets away with it.

It's basically 'prime minister = dictator'. If you can ignore parliament whenever it suits you then parliament is an advisory body at best

And I'm genuinely worried the no-spines will gently caress the future by not taking action. To the lunatic right it'd look like a coup (even if it's literally the other way round)

Edit even with the rebel tories I worry 'literally chucking the PM in jail' is a step too far for them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what’s the way you could challenge bojo ignoring / misconstruing the law? take him to court?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Utterly hosed. It's not even funny just how loving unacceptable this plan is.

Boris is not being a very good boy :(

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Had a lot of libdem junk mail come through today.

It was as terrible as you're imagining.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
What on earth is going on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bump_fn posted:

what’s the way you could challenge bojo ignoring / misconstruing the law? take him to court?

Or parliament can vote to hold him in contempt, the punishment for which is up to Bercow. And Bercow Does Not Like the idea of parliament not being sovereign.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Tesseraction posted:

tbh comedy would be Corbyn no-confing Boris today, becoming interim PM, cancelling prorogation and then extending A50 on the promise of a GE

quote:

The SNP’s Ronnie Cowan asks if, in the event of a vote of no confidence, the PM could just run down the clock for 14 days without recommending an alternative PM to the Queen.

Sedwill confirms that that is the case.

Sedwill suggests that, following a vote of no confidence, the prime minster would not be obliged to suggest an alternative PM to the Queen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Parliament could vote confidence in another PM, I think.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

VideoGames posted:

What on earth is going on.

Fascism.

If Boris gets his way.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yeah, definitely looks like fascism. I guess that means today is going to be a very interesting day? Stuff is happening in the commons today?>

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Parliament could vote confidence in another PM, I think.
Can...can they make the Queen PM?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, definitely looks like fascism. I guess that means today is going to be a very interesting day? Stuff is happening in the commons today?>

Yeah there's a couple of emergency debates

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1171026589586468864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Pretty sure the French set the precedent for what to do when someone decides parliament isn't sovereign