Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/hankgreen/status/1170823040441053185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!
AND THAT COFFE SHOP PERSON WAS ALBERT EINSTEIN-SAN

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It's kind of sad and funny how liberals are more politically illiterate than your average DSA member.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

from the responses:

https://twitter.com/Nascoyu/status/1170956351801049088

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

The fact that Hank Green doesn't realize that this is literally Crash Course (although with a dicededly less obvious ideological bent, and also using what's probably his definition of what constitutes the left) is just mind blowing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Trash Course

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

AShamefulDisplay posted:

The fact that Hank Green doesn't realize that this is literally Crash Course (although with a dicededly less obvious ideological bent, and also using what's probably his definition of what constitutes the left) is just mind blowing

There's a shitload of left / liberal / feminist / anti-capitalist content out there. There's just not the smug disingenuous bootlicking of PragerU.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NightGyr posted:

There's a shitload of left / liberal / feminist / anti-capitalist content out there. There's just not the smug disingenuous bootlicking of PragerU.

You're not wrong, but all that content also doesn't have billions in oligarch dollars backing it in order for it to be blasted out to and infiltrate as many avenues of exposure as it can, and it's incredibly short-sighted of this Hank whoever to try and turn this into a question of whether the content exists or how it's created or the quality of the content, when it's really just because of marketing.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're not wrong, but all that content also doesn't have billions in oligarch dollars backing it in order for it to be blasted out to and infiltrate as many avenues of exposure as it can, and it's incredibly short-sighted of this Hank whoever to try and turn this into a question of whether the content exists or how it's created or the quality of the content, when it's really just because of marketing.

Yeah, there's always the powerful bias towards content that supports the power structure. Those with money are going to fund libertarian content, conservative content, even straight fascist content. Because it support them maintaining and reinforcing the power they have.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

There's also Means TV, though they also don't have the funding of PragerU, they do have some intro-to-leftism content that has gone viral enough to be on mainstream media.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There's tons of leftist YouTube channels, just none that have the budget for tons of animation or, much more importantly, to buy ads before popular videos.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Would something like Feminist Frequency count? They have a habit of making 20+ minute exhaustive studies though.

Really I think that's the weakness of a lot of lefttube/breadtube, they make half hour videos instead of five minute clips. It's a lot harder to sell people when they have to sit through all of that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

NightGyr posted:

Would something like Feminist Frequency count? They have a habit of making 20+ minute exhaustive studies though.

Really I think that's the weakness of a lot of lefttube/breadtube, they make half hour videos instead of five minute clips. It's a lot harder to sell people when they have to sit through all of that.

Shaun's refutation of a Laura Southern video is like 3-4 as long as Southern's and, worse, it asks that you watch her video first.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
That's the cost of trying to take on a Gish Gallop head on, you can't keep up.

We really need someone doing the My Cousin Vinny treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wtz2k109Ig

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/momentofmagnus/status/1171048518666063872?s=20

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

avoid using Power Word: Coffee, you may just detonate japanese baristas by accident

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Tulip posted:

Shaun's refutation of a Laura Southern video is like 3-4 as long as Southern's and, worse, it asks that you watch her video first.

tangentially related, but this reminds me of 1hr+ video from hbomberguy defending Dark Souls 2
and the 3hr long video from another guy saying that hbomberguy is actually wrong

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

that barista's name? Albert Einstein.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Halser posted:

tangentially related, but this reminds me of 1hr+ video from hbomberguy defending Dark Souls 2
and the 3hr long video from another guy saying that hbomberguy is actually wrong

the crown was Jack Saint's "long critique is not deep critique."

It's 45 minutes long, which feels VERY ironic, but it's also a slam on a guy who made something like a 7 hour long Last Jedi hate video series. Said guy responded to Saint with even longer defenses.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tulip posted:

the crown was Jack Saint's "long critique is not deep critique."

It's 45 minutes long, which feels VERY ironic, but it's also a slam on a guy who made something like a 7 hour long Last Jedi hate video series. Said guy responded to Saint with even longer defenses.

It's hard to separate not mad online from thorough. No simple rule for it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

What triggers me the most is that Stalin didn't even do Dekulakization, which makes me think this guy picked it up from Bret Stephens.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Whimzicals/status/3862442712

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

i mean the sega dreamcast turned 20 today

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/wdfausz/status/1170726252820537346?s=21

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/JayBarney13/status/1161718286721146880?s=09

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Opprobrius

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't think this is all that serious, but the thesis of this article made me doubletake: https://www.out.com/film/2019/9/07/pennywise-surprisingly-anti-queer-it-chaper-two

The killer clown isn’t the ally we thought he was.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

NightGyr posted:

no. the only thing that makes prageru noteworthy is their budget

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

this is funny considering like the most midwestern home cooked meals are mayo covered meatloaf with broccoli casserole with french fried onions poured on top with molasses pie for desert.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Among other problems is that the left doesn't consume shameless propaganda, no billionaires spend a hundredth of their income financing leftist propaganda no one ever sees, and the right always captures organizations with power structures from the top down

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really wish someone would ask that Transformed Wife what her thoughts on spousal rape and abuse are because I sense people would shift from "oh this account is absurd and harmless" to "holy poo poo what a loving monster" real quick.

She's been throwing out those softball "oh well wives should love their husbands and obey and cook and clean" poo poo but I'm waiting on the real horrifying poo poo to get posted that is part and parcel with that ideology.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uh what

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

a new wife-type?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Pomp posted:

Uh what

Basically Tumblr did this really cringy meme where they proclaimed Pennywise was a gay icon and married to the Babadook and in the new movie, shock of all shocks, the evil clown monster murders a gay man and uses another character's closeted feelings against him.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Is that because they presumably kept the part of the book where the gay guy gets murdered by a gang of delinquents by being tossed off the side of a bridge, the thing that King based off an actual murder that happened and has said ended up in there because it horrified him?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Cameo posted:

Is that because they presumably kept the part of the book where the gay guy gets murdered by a gang of delinquents by being tossed off the side of a bridge, the thing that King based off an actual murder that happened and has said ended up in there because it horrified him?

Yes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Basically Tumblr did this really cringy meme where they proclaimed Pennywise was a gay icon and married to the Babadook and in the new movie, shock of all shocks, the evil clown monster murders a gay man and uses another character's closeted feelings against him.
tumblr is patient zero of the internet being the festering cesspool of poo poo it is right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Cameo posted:

There's been backlash against it by some people because ~IT DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL WHY KEEP IT IN~ even though it's really super duper clear why it's kept in for two major ways.