Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ehud posted:

amazing what you can accomplish when you take all kinds of steroids and HGH

Did I miss Brady pissing dirty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

colachute posted:

ESPN is slurping the Patriots this morning and making GBS threads pretty hard on AB. How did the Patriots get this reputation as a cold blooded organization that will cut players without remorse? What big names have they gotten rid of?

Randy Moss for one.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Realtalk is the Browns defense that terrible?

No. They weren't good, but they weren't 43 pts bad.

The defense didn't give up 43 in a normal way. 21 of the points were given up in the 4th, 2 TD's were under 35 yards from interceptions and the other was a pick 6. Of the other TDs in the game one was a single play blown coverage and the other was walked down the field with penalties.

So I'd say the defense only really gave up 20 and the lovely offense gift wrapped the other 23 of those points with 3 ints and a safety.

The penalties were pretty bad on D as was that blown 75 yard td, but outside of those the defense much more hosed by the offense doing jack poo poo.

That being said the biggest issue on both sides of the ball was penalties, that was the worst game I've seen in that aspect. Killed multiple Browns drives and arguably was the only reason the Titans scored in the 2nd. Fix those and the Browns could still be a solid team, but there is a hell of a lot of fixing to do.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress Vince Wilfork dirty rear end

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

zapplez posted:

I missed half of the league testing positive for marijuana, but ummmmmmmmmmm

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Also declined to re-sign Welker which I think was behind the first big patsgoon :siren: LOST SEASON :siren: meltdown I can remember reading here.

clearly we can't complain, but that did turn out to be a bad year targets-wise since it left us with:

80 Danny Amendola
10 Austin Collie
17 Aaron Dobson
11 Julian Edelman PR
18 Matthew Slater
85 Kenbrell Thompkins

and they lost Gronk (ACL) and Hernandez (murderin')

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

colachute posted:

ESPN is slurping the Patriots this morning and making GBS threads pretty hard on AB. How did the Patriots get this reputation as a cold blooded organization that will cut players without remorse? What big names have they gotten rid of?

Every season there are 2-3 players they let walk in free agency or trade in the final year of their contract. Just in the past couple years alone there's Trey Flowers, Dion Lewis, Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan, Amendola, etc. The point of these moves is that they're usually able to find replacements year to year and they are able to game the comp pick system.

The new market efficiency is letting your young up-and-coming stars go in free agency and replacing them with 32 year old vets on single year contracts and getting a free 3rd rounder.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

zapplez posted:

here are the two possibilities:

he is defying age like no human before him

his fake doctor gives him illegal substances that help slow the aging process

TheWrthy
Feb 1, 2004

Yes we can, sir.

Ehud posted:

Obviously it's because everyone else is eating nightshades.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Great fun Seahawks game to go to . I came in expecting to win which is always dangerous as they always play like rear end when I expect them to win. Classic September Seahawks. Can't do poo poo scrape out a win in the 4th. Not sure how this secondary will survive the Steelers next week.

All and all after the UW loss it would have been brutal to drop this one so extremely pleased today

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ehud posted:

Or third option ,he was always really talented, does his best to take care of his body, has gotten lucky to avoid serious long term injuries,and has the best supporting cast of talent and management around him for his career that an professional sports player has ever had.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1170846614153351168

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Don't forget a HoF worthy offensive line coach has ensured he gets hit as few times as possible. Dude has had 1 major injury his entire career and it just seems way more likely at this point that it's a combination of factors.

HGH and roids tend to lead to more soft tissue injuries which Brady has avoided. Guy should be studied in a drat lab on aging really.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Brady is surrounded by the best organization and best coaches. It's not magic.

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

So Brady's quack doctor really has discovered secret drugs that stop the aging process? You are your mother's son I guess.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

So Brady's quack doctor really has discovered secret drugs that stop the aging process? You are your mother's son I guess.

Ruthless

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the truth of tom brady is that he already played like a 39-year-old man when he was 19, so being 42 is a relatively minor adjustment

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
As much as I hate to say it, there is no doubt the Patriots are winning the SB.

Nov 6, 2002

It's week one people.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Have you guys really not read the script? Patriots starting hot means no chip on Bradys shoulder = playoff loss

If you read the tea leaves this is the Chargers year. Them winning game 1 was powerful

Nov 6, 2002

That Colts game was the type that you could always count on the Chargers to lose so maybe they've finally turned the corner.

But I doubt it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

zapplez posted:

Or third option ,he was always really talented, does his best to take care of his body, has gotten lucky to avoid serious long term injuries,and has the best supporting cast of talent and management around him for his career that an professional sports player has ever had.

congrats on this lovely post!!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
As much as I like gloating like a :patssay: rear end in a top hat, even the hated Patriots aren't immune to the season derailment by mass injury bug. I mean we're grading on a "not making the Super Bowl is a lost season" curve which is dumb anyway, but if we just power through that you have the 2015 season where they started 10-0 and then all the linemen died and even full power Gronk couldn't get them to the Super Bowl. In 2013 all the good receivers and tight ends died of boneitis or something.

So, you know, there's that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

sean10mm posted:

As much as I like gloating like a :patssay: rear end in a top hat, even the hated Patriots aren't immune to the season derailment by mass injury bug. I mean we're grading on a "not making the Super Bowl is a lost season" curve which is dumb anyway, but if we just power through that you have the 2015 season where they started 10-0 and then all the linemen died and even full power Gronk couldn't get them to the Super Bowl.

At this point, im pretty sure 99% of Pats fans would consider a non-SB appearance as a failure of a season

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The collective tears of the Red Sox not making the playoffs and the Pat's not making the SB would move rising sea levels 20 years into the future

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

At this point, im pretty sure 99% of Pats fans would consider a non-SB appearance as a failure of a season

After 6 rings IDGAF about anything in sports that much anymore, except as something to point and laugh at.

I'm not normal though, either as a Pats fan or... like, in general. :haw:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

OxySnake posted:

The collective tears of the Red Sox not making the playoffs and the Pat's not making the SB would move rising sea levels 20 years into the future

no one gives a single poo poo about the Red Sox lol everyone stopped watching a month and a half ago when it was declared by townies that they were out of the wild card, that's the level of ambivalence towards a non-winning team

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

no one gives a single poo poo about the Red Sox lol everyone stopped watching a month and a half ago when it was declared by townies that they were out of the wild card, that's the level of ambivalence towards a non-winning team

Theres no reason to lie

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Because there is no God ABs contact has a 2020 option

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's a dummy year for cap / franchise tag prevention reasons.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's to game the cap so they only have to free up a tiny amount of 2019 cap space.

Probably.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

If the patriots dynasty ever ends Boston will 1000% go right back to a baseball town in a heart beat.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Metapod posted:

Theres no reason to lie

It's a fair assessment, the inordinate amount of success across all 4 sports and the year-round coverage of them has made it really easy to "bandwagon" the better teams.

Die-hard baseball fans are still filling Fenway and yelling on radio call-in shows, but tons of people gave an apathetic shrug to a good but not great 2019 squad, stored their 2018 Champions Sox gear in a closet til 2020, and hitched their emotional wagons to the Pats/Bruins/Celtics.

That being said, the Pats crashing so hard they didn't win the AFCE, or losing in the divisional round, would definitely generate a maelstrom of ignorant takes and dog whistle rhetoric.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

zapplez posted:

Also the obvious answer is that NFL rules have moved super far to protect QBs so they can play into their early 40s easily because they dont take the hits that usually linger and reduce their production.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

OxySnake posted:

If the patriots dynasty ever ends Boston will 1000% go right back to a baseball town in a heart beat.

yeah the keywords there are "go right back" which implies that they aren't currently, which was the exact same point I just made so I'm glad we're all on the same page here lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wild that people think anyone under 50 cares at all about baseball

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Defensive prodigy Matt Patricia

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Kalli posted:

Wild that people think anyone under 50 cares at all about baseball

this too imo

Nov 6, 2002

OxySnake posted:

Also the obvious answer is that NFL rules have moved super far to protect QBs so they can play into their early 40s easily because they dont take the hits that usually linger and reduce their production.

It wouldn't be surprising if the next gen of QB's (Mahomes, Goff, etc) all play into their 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

yeah the keywords there are "go right back" which implies that they aren't currently, which was the exact same point I just made so I'm glad we're all on the same page here lol

I guess you missed the part where for 80 years Boston was a baseball city, but I too like to ignore history.

Nuke new england nevertheless