Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if Ken Clarke might not be up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whoever gets it honestly I hope they keep up Bercow's approach, he genuinely has done a lot to make parliament work as it's supposed to.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

He's standind down as an MP and is a billion years old, so probably not.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if you've heard of someone it's a pretty good clue they're too high-profile to be Speaker

it's gonna be a no-name centrist Labour backbencher and this thread's reaction is going to be "who?"

sebzilla posted:

He's standind down as an MP and is a billion years old, so probably not.

plus, y'know, being a former Chancellor basically excludes him automatically

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Blackford as the comedy option

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
What was Bercow's history before being elected as Speaker? Was he a no-name too?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hoyle also passes the vital easily popular on social media test

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Taken from BBC, those who have announced they are running so far:

quote:

Sir Edward Leigh - Conservative
Chris Bryant - Labour
Eleanor Laing - Conservative and deputy Speaker
Peter Wishart - SNP

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

coffeetable posted:

the other side of being speaker is you aren't ever gonna be prime minister, so none of the MPs you see in the press are gonna go for it
But what if you have already been prime minister? May is an obvious pro-parliament choice, ready to destroy any prime minister who might mock her own legacy by achieving anything at all.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Taken from BBC, those who have announced they are running so far:

sir edward leigh lmao

anyone who interrupts the speaker instantly dies of cirrhosis

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

What was Bercow's history before being elected as Speaker? Was he a no-name too?

he had roughly 18 combined months over 2 periods of being an extremely junior member of the Shadow Cabinet

the Labour MPs currently in the two jobs he held are Dan Carden and Peter Dowd, and if like me your reaction to those two names was "who?" then you'll realise how much of a no-name you need to be to even be considered for Speaker

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
God damnit Bercow, there's more important things than not being run over by your own party because they like to see the splatter! Stay in the job until Brexit is defeated

Edit: yes I think he reads SA

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Opposition benches are rammed. Is anything important happening after everyone's done fluffing Bercow's ego?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Opposition benches are rammed. Is anything important happening after everyone's done fluffing Bercow's ego?

Yeah...they are all going on holiday

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Aren't there meant to be urgent questions about whether or not it's ok for the PM to ignore laws?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CyberPingu posted:

If it's anything like last day before school holidays, they've all been allowed bring their toys in, and they're going to build Scalextric for the evening

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

sebzilla posted:

There's still these debates afaik
https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1171022451410702336

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heners_UK posted:

God damnit Bercow, there's more important things than not being run over by your own party because they like to see the splatter! Stay in the job until Brexit is defeated

Edit: yes I think he reads SA

He doesn't really have a choice, if the tories stand a candidate against him in buckinghamshire they'll win and he'll stop being speaker by default. This is actually the best way to ensure a decent speaker for the next parliament.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

sebzilla posted:

Aren't there meant to be urgent questions about whether or not it's ok for the PM to ignore laws?

Supposedly that's "not up for debate" in the meaning of the phrase, but it's on the agenda

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Grieve has a question about legal advice over prorogation and also Yellowhammer, and then Corbyn has one on "the rule of law" which is presumably going to attempt to set out some consequences for Boris if he refuses to ask for an extension

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

if the tories stand a candidate against him in buckinghamshire they'll win

A point well made, although can't we rely on Buckinghamshire to elect a good orator?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

drat, Dawn Butler giving it some.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

loving babies https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1171082409854586880

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Grieve has a question about legal advice over prorogation and also Yellowhammer, and then Corbyn has one on "the rule of law" which is presumably going to attempt to set out some consequences for Boris if he refuses to ask for an extension

Grieve's is more than a question - he has actually tabled an humble address, which if voted through would bind the government's hand.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
i think the tories would prefer the Bercow ego stroking, Dawn Butler just went off on them not filling the Women and Equalities Minister and launched into attacking Johnson and Trump

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heners_UK posted:

A point well made, although can't we rely on Buckinghamshire to elect a good orator?

People vote along party lines, the only reason they keep re-electing the speaker is because the other parties literally rig it so they're the only candidate.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Failed Imagineer posted:

If it's anything like last day before school holidays, they've all been allowed bring their toys in, and they're going to build Scalextric for the evening

We were basically allowed to roam the school and drop into different classrooms that had things going on.

I remember watching Filthy, Rich, and Catflap on VHS in my own form room and not bothering to watching Forest Gump in the Common Room.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

One theory doing the rounds in Dublin is that Boris Johnson may pull a Northern Ireland only backstop out of bag at the last minute as a means of forcing a Brexit deal through parliament in between 17 October and 31 October.

The idea was mooted early on in Brexit talks but famously dropped after opposition from the DUP which accused Theresa May of trying to break up the union of the United Kingdom by creating regulatory checks down the Irish sea.

But Johnson’s proposal for an all-island agriculture zone is one of the key elements of the backstop and now that the DUP no longer has the leverage it had because of the changed arithmetic, some believe this is where the landing zone is.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

lol yeah the backstop is what will determine whether or not people vote to gently caress up boris johnson's life or not.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Tesseraction posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
not convinced by this. they take the backstop, brexit party blows up their right wing at the election

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I guess one way of getting around having to rely on the DUP for your majority is to just give away your majority.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Conservative and Unionist Party

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Rip bercow

He was a Tory but also enjoyed dunking on other, worse Tories

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
I don't see how bojo or the ERG lot can support any kind of deal at this point - no matter what it will be seen as a surrender by their frothing voter base

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

coffeetable posted:

not convinced by this. they take the backstop, brexit party blows up their right wing at the election

tbf this is happening anyway

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh hey!

quote:

A new law designed to stop the government forcing through a no-deal has reached the statute book.

The granting of royal assent for the legislation was announced by the Lord Speaker in the House of Lords, ahead of the suspension or prorogation of parliament.

The new Act requires a delay to Brexit beyond October 31 unless a divorce deal is approved or parliament agrees to leaving the EU without one by October 19.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has previously branded it the “surrender bill”, claiming it took away control of the UK’s negotiations with the EU by allowing parliament to block no-deal.

Downing Street has said the government will obey the law, but repeated that the PM would not be seeking another extension to the article 50 withdrawal process.

one less hell in the hell world pit of hell balls

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Between this and the Bell Riots I’m convinced someone in the writers room was a time traveller.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

He doesn't really have a choice, if the tories stand a candidate against him in buckinghamshire they'll win and he'll stop being speaker by default. This is actually the best way to ensure a decent speaker for the next parliament.

Is there anything that prevents him running for another party in a safe seat, renouncing membership on election, then remaining as speaker?
Because if the answer is "convention" then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bojo basically wants a deal but is too lazy to get one so hes kinda okay with no deal

otoh bojo doesnt want to be torn to peices by a mob and i think the protests outside his house after the brexit result legit shook him

also black pudding and tattie scones owns and is worth the year off my life