Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Another MP stepping down but this time a Labour MP and because he's 78 and wants some drat rest

https://twitter.com/TheSimonGilbert/status/1171030490200985601

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The DUP are still going to vote down any deal that they don't like. They didn't vanish in a puff of smoke when the tory majority collapsed, so I'm not sure how this gambit is expected to work.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The DUP are still going to vote down any deal that they don't like. They didn't vanish in a puff of smoke when the tory majority collapsed, so I'm not sure how this gambit is expected to work.

All the better to be no confidenced with.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hell of a risk given how much these things can be self-fulfilling prophecies.

Hmm. Massive risk, uncertain payoff...Dominic Cummings?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Another MP stepping down but this time a Labour MP and because he's 78 and wants some drat rest

https://twitter.com/TheSimonGilbert/status/1171030490200985601

oh Geoff Robbo is gone too? loving good, he was a poo poo MP, he lives in Surrey for gently caress's sake

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

escapegoat posted:

Is there anything that prevents him running for another party in a safe seat, renouncing membership on election, then remaining as speaker?

His family. He already promised them to step down at the end of the 2015-2020 parliament, but stayed on at the 2017 election to see Brexit through.

As it's clear Brexit will still be happening in 3020, this is a good point to step down.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

escapegoat posted:

Is there anything that prevents him running for another party in a safe seat, renouncing membership on election, then remaining as speaker?
Because if the answer is "convention" then...

you may not have noticed but Bercow is extremely anti this kind of rules-lawyering

also "I'll replace your very popular constituency MP but I won't actually be able to represent you at all in Parliament" is, er, not the best election campaign slogan

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Bercow is cool and everything but this is starting to feel conspicuously lengthy.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Bercow owned and I hope whoever replaces him is as good at ratfucking the tories

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apaprently pfeffel did hint at the backstop becoming standard this morning:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1171089035902758912

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

His family. He already promised them to step down at the end of the 2015-2020 parliament, but stayed on at the 2017 election to see Brexit through.

As it's clear Brexit will still be happening in 3020, this is a good point to step down.

It also nicely fucks the Tories because (assuming Labour win, or at least the Tories lose, the next election) they lose the ability to nominate a Tory speaker for the next Parliament (the Speaker is usually drawn from the opposition).

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It just occurred to me that the Tory conference will be during porogation and will be absolutely F U C K I N G L E G E N D A R Y.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

madey posted:

Bercow is cool and everything but this is starting to feel conspicuously lengthy.

Grieve up to something now tho and tories coming back in

Here we go

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As an aside I found out this past week that one branch of my family were from Cork and only left due to the Potato Famine, later ending up in Canada.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1171084067049226240?s=21

Oh dear.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As a more pertinent aside. Is it me or are there a fuckload more spiders around this year?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Haha, what a photo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
lmaooooo bercow entering full troll mode

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

escapegoat posted:

Because if the answer is "convention" then...

I believe he can't actually represent a party while he's the speaker. So he'd presumably have to run as independent.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tesseraction posted:

Apaprently pfeffel did hint at the backstop becoming standard this morning:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1171089035902758912

The backstop's permanent though, by definition! There's no unilateral way out of it, that's the whole point. If the UK can just get out of it without agreeing a new arrangement then it's not a backstop even if that's what he's still calling it

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tesseraction posted:

As a more pertinent aside. Is it me or are there a fuckload more spiders around this year?

I used to sit outside to smoke and my chair was right next to a huge bush that I've seen spiders weave and grow and weave and grow. Since I have stopped smoking/don't smoke as much, I haven't seen many spiders this year.

My vaguely stopping smoking has killed all the spiders in my garden.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Holy poo poo Bercow just ripped into whoever that was, even by Bercow standards.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
I'm watching Parliament Live and have SwearyBercow Twitter open at the same time.

The pinned tweet says:

Sweary Bercow
@BercowSweary
·
Mar 27
THE HONOURABLE MEMBER CAN CHUNTER FROM A SEDENTARY POSITION IF HE LIKES BUT LET ME INFORM HIM THAT I WILL PUT MY loving SIZE TEN RIGHT IN HIS loving HOOP IF HE DOESN'T SHUT THE gently caress UP

and Bercow has just yelled "THE HONOURABLE MEMBER CAN CHUNTER FROM A SEDENTARY POSITION IF HE LIKES" twice irl.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tesseraction posted:

I haven't seen many spiders in the flat at least, there's been a couple but most of them I see are happy enough to stay outside where they loving belong. Though there have been multiple instances of me leaving for work and walking into a web over the porch.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hobo posted:

Holy poo poo Bercow just ripped into whoever that was, even by Bercow standards.

it was peter boner and someone from the government

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7clLMLbcg4

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

As an aside I found out this past week that one branch of my family were from Cork and only left due to the Potato Famine, later ending up in Canada.

Hey cousin let's go bowling Brexiting!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I think trying that had something to do with the civil war.

Actually, Prime Ministers are an 18th century thing originating precisely because of the gradual loss of power of the monarchy. The equivalent would be direct rule by Her Maj in her own right :hist101:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

suck my woke dick posted:

it was peter boner and someone from the government

heh, you said boner

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Manly idleness lol.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

lol that was savage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grieve is not happy with the government lol.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dead Goon posted:

We were basically allowed to roam the school and drop into different classrooms that had things going on.

I remember watching Filthy, Rich, and Catflap on VHS in my own form room and not bothering to watching Forest Gump in the Common Room.

Remember at the end of term in German we got to vote to watch something, either Sister Act or Red Dwarf. Some lassie tried the "if you don't vote how I like I'll get my brother to beat you up", which is probably the most passionate anyone has ever been about that poo poo film.

Anyway, Sister Act won and I just slept for a double period, and somehow still never got beaten up. School was such fun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Actually, Prime Ministers are an 18th century thing originating precisely because of the gradual loss of power of the monarchy. The equivalent would be direct rule by Her Maj in her own right :hist101:
Which is why it's weird whenever someone suggests becoming a Republic the response from certain sectors always assumes that we'd be replacing the Monarch with a president with the powers of an 18th century monarch, like the US office of the President, rather than a president with the powers of a 20th century monarch, like the Miggeldy Higgins, or even a president with the powers of a 21st century monarch.

I blame American media. Or the British public's famed wrongness about everything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jfc. The fact that these people are actually voted for by members of the public.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grieve is saying the government is conspiring to shut down parliament, with premeditation, for the purposes of upending parliamentary sovereignty.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Tesseraction posted:

It's been a good year for bugs in general weather wise so spiders are doing well too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The prime minister does not have the capacity to answer questions as to his motive because he doesn't understand how serious they are :v: