Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thanks, Trails is in the gog sale too so I will check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I prefer the Trails in the Sky games but there's no questioning they look a lot more dated and don't have the same structure as Cold Steel.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I don't know about this game in particular, but something I've noticed with...middling quality European developers, which it sounds like Spiders is, they seem to have a bad habit of having their translations done by somebody who knows a reasonable amount of (target language), but isn't actually skilled at translation. Which can lead to some horribly dry writing.

For reference, see the original, weird translation for Mars: War Logs. Also from Spiders. Hmm.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i skipped around some footage. it does look pretty janky, especially the conversation closeups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZqMxKW2bU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have too many good things to say about Cold Steel. It's a game that kind of blasts you with bad anime tropes up front then immediately subverts them all. There was one point in the game I was really frustrated that introduces a character who feels like she's from a completely different video game series but they use her just well enough to avoid being grating.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mokinokaro posted:

I prefer the Trails in the Sky games but there's no questioning they look a lot more dated and don't have the same structure as Cold Steel.

I like the models in Sky but that’s mostly because the budget 3D models are way to rigid for my tastes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sometimes I wish Falcom had stuck with the Sky style and just pushed it as far as they could. Imagine a Trails game that looks as pretty as Octopath Traveler.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they could barely make games that looked like ps2 launch titles for years and you want them to make something with the budget of a small square enix title

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd also like a pony

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Octopath isn't even much of a looker, imo? I don't hate it but it looks like most handheld RPGs that use sprites aside from the 3D and bloom and stuff, and that's a little divisive.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

they should use any extra budget to go back to making 80's hair metal videos for game songs actually

https://youtu.be/dhO37PCNAu0

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was going to say Tokyo Xanadu is essentially a Falcom Persona but Cold Steel seems to have won the popular vote and I can't speak from experience since I'm still playing Sky so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldn't really call Tokyo Xanadu that. It's riffing on similar ideas but the time management aspect is basically nonexistant and it's a mediocre brawler gameplay-wise. I enjoyed it okay enough and actually liked its writing more than Persona 5's, but.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tokyo Xanadu is modern day Cold Steel more than anything.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Motto posted:

Octopath isn't even much of a looker, imo? I don't hate it but it looks like most handheld RPGs that use sprites aside from the 3D and bloom and stuff, and that's a little divisive.

Octopath looks great, not sure what you're talking about.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The epic bloom lighting in octopath looks so bad and it baffles me that people think it adds to it at all. Sprites look great though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

an actual dog posted:

Octopath looks great, not sure what you're talking about.

I think they're probably saying from a technical standpoint.

Octopath is a very pretty game due to its art design, but it's not a technical powerhouse (and doesn't need to be.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The epic bloom lighting in octopath looks so bad and it baffles me that people think it adds to it at all. Sprites look great though.

That's Unreal engine for you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
octopath's diorama look would be better if it didn't felt like you were looking at it through a vaseline lens

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Just wanted to say thank you to whoever recommended Tokyo Xanadu months ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPGaSAkmY6o

looks like it's much better than their previous games

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Endorph posted:

I wouldn't really call Tokyo Xanadu that. It's riffing on similar ideas but the time management aspect is basically nonexistant and it's a mediocre brawler gameplay-wise. I enjoyed it okay enough and actually liked its writing more than Persona 5's, but.

I considered that a massive improvement over Persona 5 free time slog but it depends on what they're looking for.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPGaSAkmY6o

looks like it's much better than their previous games

its getting a big boy AAA treatment from the gaming jornos too looks like

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grandia 2 has an issue where if you change the camera options, it doesnt save them so next time you load your game they revert back to default. This would be fine but the x-axis is inverted by default, who does that? Also random slowdown in encounters starting at the baked plains, hope its area specific.

Otherwise Grandia 2 is just a flat improvement everyway over its predecessor and only makes Grandia 3 being a mess more confusing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Grandia is better than Grandia 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

for the first time i agree with verrancius

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im curious why Grandia 1 over 2. Normally i know Im a mechanics over everything kind of person but the story of Grandia 2 is just told a lot better and frankly more interesting to me which is odd because theyve got a lot of overlap.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

grandia's characters are more fun, the story is more of a coming of age story, youthful adventure and self-discovery, it's just all out great.. it's the gameplay that fell short originally because the framerate was so horrendous

grandia 2 has the better gameplay but the characters are much more boring archetypes and the story is much more generic

justin, feena and sue are so much better than ryudo, elena and... the..others

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i like childish adventures. grandia is a very 'warm' game. grandia 2 is cool but i just like the lighthearted stuff more.

The 7th Guest posted:

for the first time i agree with verrancius

unfortunately any post that just says x is better than y and nothign else is automatically wrong, and that is because, i do not like to see them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GulagDolls posted:

i like childish adventures. grandia is a very 'warm' game. grandia 2 is cool but i just like the lighthearted stuff more.

unfortunately any post that just says x is better than y and nothign else is automatically wrong, and that is because, i do not like to see them.

snooze cruise is better than GulagDrools

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its for me structurally Grandia 1 has some issues. You dont really find out who the antagonist is until a decent way into disc 2, Justins decision to help the planet is so rushed it comes out of basically nowhere, and several characters on the villains side get allowed bizarre mood swings for no reason. It also features the absolute shittiest traveling companions Rapp and Liete whose treatment of Justin is so needlessly cruel and unprecedented I was unironically offended when they rejoined the party.

Outside of that the world building is just a huge mess in 1 like the fact that they have globes which show all the continents and you can clearly just sail between them but the end of the world is played up as a huge thing. This is resolved in disc 1 then never mentioned again. Or the tower of dight which is just ???? Or the volcano or the mermaids or or or. Worldbuilding matters to me a lot in a game and cute character interaction doesnt overcome that for me, especially when your final traveling companions are absolute turds.

Edit: the camera angle is miserable and their solution was laughable

Barudak fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 10, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Barudak posted:

You dont really find out who the antagonist is until a decent way into disc 2
Why is this an issue when the story so far clearly hadn't asked for an antagonist (besides which the garlyle forces fill the role anyway)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

you can just tell me to grind him up a bit, you know

it's not about grinding him up he needs to just be in your party

iirc he can actually be pretty underleveled it's just that you specifically need him and no one else in the game will cut it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Why is this an issue when the story so far clearly hadn't asked for an antagonist (besides which the garlyle forces fill the role anyway)

Because it rushes the end game pacing a lot. You go from calm journey* to "welp gotta hype the villain asap" so the entire end game which has multiple different plot threads its trying to resolve and introduce, because again it takes its sweet time getting there, get no time to breathe. It also has the added effect of making mullen and leen look like tremendous incompetents/gaslighting assholes when the game is not trying to characterize them that way.

Garlyle also dissappears for a huge swathe of the game. Once you cross the wall they dont show up again until the twin towers which is like 10 hours or so later. Not knowing why theyre doing what theyre doing compounds this section not really moving the story forward when it could have been used as a development of the end game themes.

*Journey not actually calm since you have the three "comedic relief" subordinates who are unambiguously awful people and inflict cruelty for its own sake who the game expects you to be ok with at the end.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 10, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

it's not about grinding him up he needs to just be in your party

iirc he can actually be pretty underleveled it's just that you specifically need him and no one else in the game will cut it

okay what do i need him for. are you talking about the phantom evil king boss, that you can only hurt with magic? because, i cleared him already, without kisling, because the game gives you infinite use magic items and you can halve his hp with black cat's eyes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you wanna give someone advice you can just, be straightforward about it lol.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grandia is Dragon Ball
Grandia 2 is Dragon Ball Z

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm still working my way through Crystar. Apparently there's a time loop so despite pushing through to what appeared to be the end I've got a lot of story left.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni1JwfTJBDo

this is a really great song that you'll never be able to hear for more than like ten seconds in-game because it only plays when you have enough hp for the boss to kill you in one hit so you'll either heal up or die immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ah channeling how Shadow Hearts has unique versions of battle themes when you go insane, even for special battles where you're probably never going to go insane without going out of your way to, I see.