Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, but I need dem evades from Cat Burglars.

Well Prepared looks also though. I've mostly played Survivor and Rogue in the last three campaigns so I'm not too familiar with Guardians' upgrades and that one looks rad, especially with Leo's Mitch Brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Why not take both? Leo wants all the allies.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

How does Rex discard Acidic Ichor from play? Or are you only using it as a skill card?
Pulling a Herbert West on this question

Pushed into the Beyond is a neat way to put it back into the player deck, albeit with some risk and it's only in scenarios with the encounter set "The Beyond"

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Xlorp posted:

Pulling a Herbert West on this question

Pushed into the Beyond is a neat way to put it back into the player deck, albeit with some risk and it's only in scenarios with the encounter set "The Beyond"

Could just be a misunderstanding of the rules? A lot of newer players instinctively assume that you discard an asset that's out of charges.

There's also other encounter cards like Crypt Chill that will discard slotless assets, I suppose.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Last two investigators have been previewed.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/9/5/more-than-meets-the-eye/

No Silas or Norman, but looks like an interesting group nonetheless. Patrice could be really good, but I'm a bit wary of her low stats. Tommy's another solid if unspectacular Guardian. Really gonna depend on their deckbuilding to see what their potential is of course.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I know some people are already getting hyped for Cornered in Patrice - she'll have no shortage of cards to pitch each turn, which sorta upgrades her statline to 6/4/4/4.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
My first thought with Patrice is Yaotl—there’s nothing saying she can’t choose which order to discard her cards during upkeep, which gives her a lot more control over what’s on top.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So we're doing a playthrough of the Dunwich campaign, with one player who never finished it before; our party is Calvin 0-stats man (game owner and lead investigator), Carolyn the psychologist (that guy), and Sefina the events painter (me). First of all, our party is silly because we have the Guardian who is pretending to be a Seeker, the Rogue who is pretending to be a Mystic, and the Survivor who is just the craziest fuckin dude they've printed yet.

And that same player also has never tried any of the sidequests, and we wanted to do the two-part sidequest set in Egypt that the owner of the game hadn't tried yet. So we were telling him about the sidequests and we're telling him "so there's one with a werewolf in New Orleans and it kinda sucks, you have to chase it around and he drops clues on top of your VP locations so it's a pain in the rear end; then there's a carnival in Venice that's pretty fun, you go around the carnival parade and unmask people to find out if they're monsters; then there's this Egypt one we haven't tried." And then he says "well are the rewards at least good for the werewolf one?" And we say "well you can get turned into a werewolf, it's kinda cool if you're a fighting character. It turns your base mental stats to 2 and your physical ones to 5, and you also get a weakness that makes you go insane if you don't do murders." And then he said "wait so if you get it *points at Calvin* your base stats go from 0,0,0,0 to 2,2,5,5? :psyboom:" Neither of us had ever realized that interaction before.

So long story short, we decided that had to happen; Calvin earned Monstrous Transformation today, and boy is that going to be broken as gently caress when he draws it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

New pack up on the main site.

Let God Sort Them Out...

I like it. I haven't played The Circle Undone yet but I know since Carcosa there's been a trend with increasing enemy HP, and with multiple players this shouldn't be too hard to trigger provided you have the firepower. I'm thinking Leo could use this pretty effectively.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Kalko posted:

Let God Sort Them Out...

I like it. I haven't played The Circle Undone yet but I know since Carcosa there's been a trend with increasing enemy HP, and with multiple players this shouldn't be too hard to trigger provided you have the firepower. I'm thinking Leo could use this pretty effectively.

The real shame is it takes an action, so you can't trigger it after using I'll See You in Hell!.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DontMockMySmock posted:

So long story short, we decided that had to happen; Calvin earned Monstrous Transformation today, and boy is that going to be broken as gently caress when he draws it.

e: nope, nevermind, I'm still not awake and that's indeed silly

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Matt Newman is having a Reddit AMA here

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend and I got around to beating Carcosa with the Agnes + Finn duo that I posted about earlier.

The combo was pretty fun, even though I feel like I probably should have saved Finn for The Forgotten Age as I've grown really spoiled on his free evade action each turn.

We unfortunately cheated a bit on Dim Carcosa, by not remembering to move one of the enemies when a location flips neighboring to it. Also, we may have re-drawn an auto-fail tentacle here or there. But Dim Carcosa seems pretty much one of the hardest scenarios I've seen so far unless a lot of stars align otherwise, so oh well.

Pretty fun campaign though, definitely a step above Dunwich on the writing and complexity. We had the slightly more doubt-filled run through, which I think lead to better writing on the feeling of what the gently caress was going on.

I think Agnes and Finn are going to continue their really weird dates night by going to Venice after this, as they definitely do not want to go to Paris ever again. Then it's Ursula and Leo off to the jungle.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jeeves posted:

Dim Carcosa seems pretty much one of the hardest scenarios I've seen so far unless a lot of stars align otherwise, so oh well.
The hardest scenarios are still:

-Act 3 of Night of the Zealot, which is designed to have you lose to teach you a lesson. There's literally no way to win unless you know to aggressively draw for Lola and have her ready to huck into its maw

-Whichever Dunwich adventure has the Color Out of Space which literally cannot be harmed, making your entire Guardian's deck useless with no warning or way to spec out of it. You would literally be better off having the Guardian not play that adventure so you need fewer clues to advance.

Other than that, I think the rest are tough but fair.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Our intrepid players finished Dunwich Legacy a month ago and didn't want to retire our Untouchable Trio of Rex, Zoey, and Sefina.
So we went to the bayous and found us a mess of terror and treachery. After one particular round of "oh crap!" encounter draws they realized just one more wrong card would nuke us all. The post-Dunwich traumas changed their notions of what was safe damage and they elected discretion over getting all tricky. Our trophy pelts from the scenario got us enough VP for passage to Venice.

More headstrong now, and certainly no wiser, we head off to the the Carnevale.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shrecknet posted:

The hardest scenarios are still:

-Act 3 of Night of the Zealot, which is designed to have you lose to teach you a lesson. There's literally no way to win unless you know to aggressively draw for Lola and have her ready to huck into its maw

Almost every time I've won this scenario it's through really aggressive investigating actually. Sort it out before the Ancient One even shows up.

All the other times it's been through killing Lola. I've never won this one through killing the big bad guy.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My preorder for Dream Eaters arrived. Looks rad.

I'm not going to get to it for a while, still have TCU to get through. But I'm excited.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I brought out the tea lights to show whether braziers were lit in Union & Disillusion

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
First trip through TFA with Leo & Ursula update:

Jesus gently caress, gently caress The Boundary Beyond. What a lovely scenario.

Also kinda gently caress the Exploration deck: why yes, I want to draw 2x Encounters per round. It was fun when it was 100% new locations in the Pallid Mask, but having it basically be a second Encounter deck for the most part got old after the first 2x scenarios in TFA.

Otherwise, I really enjoy the theme and story so far. But drat, it feels like they just tried jamming way too much ideas into one campaign. I mean, Supplies PLUS Explore deck?

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 8, 2019

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Look at this guy without the Overzealous weakness.

Just as a quick question, are you playing that resolved encounters from the explore deck are discarded into the encounter deck discard pile? The explore deck should have some early frustrations, but it will clear out as the mission progresses.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Exploration and the Explore deck are cool and good, there just shouldve been less encounter cards and more cool side stuff that was good but not what you were looking for in them

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

I brought out the tea lights to show whether braziers were lit in Union & Disillusion

This is actually really cool and I've loved seeing a lot of the customization stuff that was popular in the board game has made it over to the card game as well. I always like seeing the little touches that add a bit more atmosphere or dress the game up a bit.

Also Forgotten Age had a kinda weird balance with a couple of the core mechanics where your supplies were taxed more as you added players, yet the explore mechanic really becomes easier with more people. I actually don't mind the explore deck as it is, maybe if they had you continue the explore action after you drew the encounter cards that would make it feel a bit less punishing. That said, I actually like the difficulty, especially since they were fairly generous with the xp which offset it a bit. I'm playing Return to Carcosa currently and hooo boy those scenarios are stingy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

alansmithee posted:

This is actually really cool and I've loved seeing a lot of the customization stuff that was popular in the board game has made it over to the card game as well. I always like seeing the little touches that add a bit more atmosphere or dress the game up a bit.
having minis is so much better than the investigator mini cards, even if they're just badly re-based heroclix or star wars aliens

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

having minis is so much better than the investigator mini cards, even if they're just badly re-based heroclix or star wars aliens

They actually used to sell minis, but they're out of print and generally really pricey. Also since they made a character just for the LCG, you wouldn't be able to have figures for everyone :( . I also saw on the reddit group someone made a fig for everyone released so far from legos, which were really cool (but were like 10 bucks apiece just from having to custom order all the parts for each).

We don't use minis, but one dude in our group has basically made coin holder cutouts for each character, so we use those.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Get a 25mm hole punch and print out the investigator cards and just put them into the same sized coin capsules as the chaos bag tokens.

It works really well, especially with flipping them when investigator is exhausted.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'd totally forgotten that you're supposed to flip your character card when your turn is over in the investigator phase, haha.

alansmithee posted:

Also Forgotten Age had a kinda weird balance with a couple of the core mechanics where your supplies were taxed more as you added players, yet the explore mechanic really becomes easier with more people. I actually don't mind the explore deck as it is, maybe if they had you continue the explore action after you drew the encounter cards that would make it feel a bit less punishing. That said, I actually like the difficulty, especially since they were fairly generous with the xp which offset it a bit. I'm playing Return to Carcosa currently and hooo boy those scenarios are stingy.

I appreciate that TFA tried a bunch of new stuff and added a lot of mechanics but oof I just had zero fun playing through it - especially right after the original Carcosa, which is probably my favorite campaign so far (although TCU is up there as well).

Also, the Blob That Ate Everything is a great scenario.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Is anyone else trying out Patrice? We started a two player run through TCU and I’m enjoying playing her. The early game seems to be trying to survive until you can hit Cornered or a couple cats. I was initially doubtful about her violin, but it’s so good. My next upgrade is going to be Scrapper, and I probably should’ve done it earlier.

Regarding TCU, I’m enjoying the story and art so far. We’re playing through The Wages of Sin right now. The toddler makes it hard, but our Jasper game table is paying for itself with how easy it is to pause a game and hide it in the vault.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

I'd totally forgotten that you're supposed to flip your character card when your turn is over in the investigator phase, haha.

I appreciate that TFA tried a bunch of new stuff and added a lot of mechanics but oof I just had zero fun playing through it - especially right after the original Carcosa, which is probably my favorite campaign so far (although TCU is up there as well).

Also, the Blob That Ate Everything is a great scenario.

I know a lot of the stuff turned people off, but in hindsight outside of one scenario I actually really enjoyed Forgotten Age. Return to Carcosa has been a slog for my group and basically nobody is enjoying it.

Since we don't want to do a lot of stop/start stuff with the new campaign (on top of not being sure how it'll work mechanically), we're actually gonna do a campaign next with return to night of the zealot followed by each of the one shots (which there's 5 scenarios now, so it'll basically be a "full" campaign). Looking forward to trying out Blob then.

Prairie Bus posted:

Regarding TCU, I’m enjoying the story and art so far. We’re playing through The Wages of Sin right now. The toddler makes it hard, but our Jasper game table is paying for itself with how easy it is to pause a game and hide it in the vault.
I hadn't heard of that Jasper table before but it looks awesome. May have to look into getting one myself sometime.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 9, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I've heard a lot of people saying they are not enjoying the extra hardness added to Carcosa. Not a good sign for a potential (and expected) Return to TFA.

edit - I can't imagine Dim Carcosa being any loving harder than it already is, however I am sure they added something else to it.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 9, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I've only been through the first four scenarios of Return to Carcosa so far and while they were definitely more difficult, some of the changes were really neat. I am wary of the final four, since those had such weird and unique rules in the base campaign.

I'd bet money that Return to TFA will rework the supplies mechanic a bit, if nothing else.

I really need to play Labyrinths of Lunacy sometime, if I can ever get a giant group together.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm still bitter about Labyrinths and will probably never play it :smith:

At the release event we did there was a point where another group needed a lot of doom so our group stacked a bunch so we could give it to them and then when we met up again ready to pass it off they were like "oh no we found another solution nevermind" and so our group just died

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm hoping this thread is kind of dead right now because all of you cool cats were at Arkham Nights, right? Right?

Our group died against giant multiplayer 8L-08, but not before doing way more than our "fair share" of damage, and also after adding a net positive of like four or five countermeasures to the board.

Murder at the Excelsior Hotel is fun, and unlike most of the other standalone big-blister-pack scenarios it is very doable True Solo (and feels more thematic that way, in my opinion).

Playing a whole campaign straight through was actually super cool, although we totally did Return to Carcosa instead of TFA like everyone else. I was kinda dreading this part of the weekend, honestly, because I have definitely managed to get "Arkham'd out" in the past, but it actually got me all fired up instead and I started playing solo basically as soon as I got back home.

AH: Final Hour obviously isn't directly related to the card game but it seems like this weird mix of Clue, Gloomhaven and Space Alert that I think I'm going to really enjoy while totally understanding why the rest of my group is totally cold on it.

alansmithee posted:

I know a lot of the stuff turned people off, but in hindsight outside of one scenario I actually really enjoyed Forgotten Age.

Sorry to bring this up again, but what scenario didn't you like? Personally I was turned off of the whole thing after the second scenario dunked on my wife and I hard enough to get her to basically put down the game forever, and then later on there's that two-part scenario where you can be forced to loop.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm jealous of anyone able to go to Arkham multiplayer events, as they sound fun.

As for TFA, I'm currently going through it and yeah it starts out fun with explore being a neat mechanic, but by the 2nd scenario it kind of overstays its welcome.

Then there is the triple-hit of TBB, Heart of the Elders, and then being forced out of your own investigator for City of Archives.

I think that leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's opinions. And while Threads of Fate was great, it was kind of weird to wind up back in Arkham so soon on the campaign when it seemed like we would get deeper and deeper into the jungle or something.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I liked CoA the one time I went through it because I was Zoey and my deck was nowhere near efficient enough to kill the big beefy monsters or evasive enough to consistently get around the Vengeance enemies. Being able to just toss things for a million icons was a really ironic breath of fresh air, suddenly I felt like I could actually contribute to the group.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Sorry to bring this up again, but what scenario didn't you like? Personally I was turned off of the whole thing after the second scenario dunked on my wife and I hard enough to get her to basically put down the game forever, and then later on there's that two-part scenario where you can be forced to loop.

The one you mention. Boundary Beyond is also really rough but I like the gimmick. But the one you talk about is an interesting idea, but not well executed imo. I think they could've done something different to get the same feel. The thing about Forgotten Age is I do believe it's a jump in difficulty, on top of introducing a lot of new mechanics that make "optimal" play be a bit different than it is for the other campaigns. There's just a lot going on that can leave a bad taste in people's mouths (on top of a couple gotcha type things with supplies).

All that said, if/when they do a return box for it, I hope they don't have the difficulty jump that the others have had. I find the difficulty offset by the copious amount of XP that's available, but it's a fine balance. Return to Carcosa has just been a slog for us because of the pitiful XP amounts while upping the difficulty.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Really? Our group had zero problems with Return to Carcosa, I mean someone was even running Charon's Obol and only really had a single close call. Granted, we weren't using the Taboo list, but I think we all had a pretty great time. What are you having trouble with?

And I think Return to the Dunwich Legacy is flat-out easier than the original campaign overall, although that might just be because the original was one of the first things I played ages ago and I just two-hand soloed Return last week. I have yet to get a win off of Lost in Time and Space but it's been close several times.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Boundary Beyond annoys me because the whole point of grabbing the opening the paths or whatever is kind of a letdown as you just do it anyhow next scenario. Plus the reuse of the jungle and expedition encounter sets from the first two scenarios makes Heart of the Elders suck even more.

I think TBB's problem is that it is followed up by Elders. That one is just a turd. If opening the paths had a long lasting effect on the entire campaign or something (like you need all 6 to complete the good ending, etc), then it would have made more sense to be so punishing. Basically it feels like it should have been the 7th or 8th scenario, not the 4th, and the opening the paths thing should have affected maybe getting the extra special turn back time ending or something.

Plus the Threads of Fate scenario was so fun that being followed up by those two turds along with whether or not you like City of Archives really makes TFA feel like a "I like this campaign BUT with a giant asterisk at the end of that statement!"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'd forgotten how theme-y and fun Dunwich Legacy was, by the way. Of the first four scenarios the only one that I feel kind of falls flat is Extracurricular Activities. Other than that you have some fun casino hijinks, the single most Scooby Doo scenario ever as the investigators run around a museum at night dodging a single monster, and Essex County Express, which is honestly a really cool setpiece as long as you don't get dunked on immediately by Ancient Evils and lose.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Really? Our group had zero problems with Return to Carcosa, I mean someone was even running Charon's Obol and only really had a single close call. Granted, we weren't using the Taboo list, but I think we all had a pretty great time. What are you having trouble with?

It's not so much that we're having trouble in that it's not fun. The missions are more difficult, more of a slog, and the xp gains are tiny. It just feels like everything is a grind for no real reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I bought return to Carcosa, but I mostly plan on never really playing the Return to extra cards or rules. I like the box, the player cards, and the ability to play the different/changed encounter sets with the original scenarios-- ie: gently caress Ancient Evils.

However, a lot of the campaign feels like it didn't need a 'patch fix' like their sophomoric Dunwich did, or like TFA definitely does. Just making stuff harder isn't too fun for an already pretty hard game.

I guess I understand the need for harder-ness though, as it is a better explaination for a sales pitch for getting customers to buy an additional thing. "Here have a nightmare mode hardness difficulty!" instead of "here buy our fixes for our previous thing you paid for already."