Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

CGI Stardust posted:

Giving you fair warning - it's Third World Marxist, so a lot of the conclusions are derived heavily from Law of Value and similar, although he does give an explainer at the start. The Hickel book reaches (sort of) similar conclusions but without the explicitly Marxist framework, if that's more to your tastes.
ok that's £5 on kindle so it wins by default, ta!

e: here's page 168 from the 2008 UKMT, with such choice quotes as

Fluo posted:

Still upset Red Ken lost to Blue Bojo

bassguitarhero posted:

apparently he's not running again? which is good

Red Ken posted:

it's because he's going for pm

Hyosho posted:

LOL BOZZA WOT A LEGERND

*accidentally nukes manchester*

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pitch a fitness posted:

My big brother hid copies of the original version all around my room & I grew up thinking Tony Blair was some sort of monster.

What changed?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

it really is another country

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

coffeetable posted:

red ken has turned out to be a sex pest

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

coffeetable posted:

Git posted:

sometimes when I'm feeling sad I read through the controversies section on red ken's wikipaedia page and I always feel better for it
lmao

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/DaniRowley/status/1171220453635100672?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BetaODork/status/1171215765443403778?s=20

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

bump_fn posted:

https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1171328886409506816

why does every loving tory look like an inbred dipshit chipmunk baby

Because they are actual inbred upper-class twats

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

They coulda been in tune but otherwise, as usual, don't read the comments.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How can they expect Boris to follow the law when they film in the house which is on parliament live dot tv :freep:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really don't like the funeral dirge version of the red flag, the song itself is great but singing it to oh tannenbaum is just... why?

Billy Bragg does it way better.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

thespaceinvader posted:

They coulda been in tune but otherwise, as usual, don't read the comments.

I'm not sure it's possible to sing the red flag in tune, on account of it not possessing one.

This will always be my jam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTbashsKic

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Miftan posted:

Well the anarchists aren't doing too hot either fwiw. Rojava maybe? Haven't kept up with how they're doing tbh.

They're getting on, not sure how long it will last. Good bunch of lads.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

They're getting on, not sure how long it will last. Good bunch of lads.

and lasses.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I'm not sure it's possible to sing the red flag in tune, on account of it not possessing one.

This will always be my jam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTbashsKic

I kind of feel like it has a tune? But I can't think what the other song is that uses it.

The Internationale is something I keep wanting to break into at protests but in this city there woudln't be anyone who knew it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's oh christmas tree/tanenbaum.

And it's dire.

Also as far as songs to sing I like solidarity forever cos everyone knows the tune and the chrous is easy to pick up.

Dump the bosses off your back is a fun one too, short.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Miftan posted:

and lasses.

Sorry I genuinely use lads as a gender neutral term, no offence meant

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
If anybody wants some good news, Trump fired John Bolton via twitter

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

radmonger posted:

30% of GDP would not so much solve the problem as cause it to reverse in the scope of 4 years.

Given, unlike the 1950s, most of the world is already developed (or developedish), 1% of GDP,, paid by everyone, would quite likely be plenty to remove the economic constraints on development for the lagging parts. Meaning either the issue would be resolved, or the bottleneck on doing so would be something else; war, fascism, climate ...

I know you aren't exactly a third-worlder leftist making a well-articulated post, but 1% is really not that much? Again it's GDP, not wealth.

In fact the amount of foreign aid currently given by the UK is 0.7% of GNI, very loving close to 1% of GDP. This is also the universal UN target for developed countries.

And the world is largely not developed at all, unless "developed" means not in danger of dying from hunger or the elements. In which case it's still not all developed by any means.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That cameo he did with the lonely island was funny.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

dispatch_async posted:

If anybody wants some good news, Trump fired John Bolton via twitter

Would prefer "Trump fired John Bolton via cannon" but I'll take it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

And it's dire.
Sometimes a dirge is appropriate. For example it works well for the version of the Red Flag appropriate to sing when Yvette Cooper is hosting.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Ok gonna listen to the podcast on my commute home. You'd better not all have awful monotone nasally nerd voices or I'm going to be so disappointed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the advantages of a UK podcast is that there is a wide selection of ridiculous accents to choose from.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

And it's dire.

Also as far as songs to sing I like solidarity forever cos everyone knows the tune and the chrous is easy to pick up.

Dump the bosses off your back is a fun one too, short.

Yeah I remembered it.

We're gonna need some protest songs soon.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

coffeetable posted:

oh yeah, was going to say, when you've got through the Hickel, I really would suggest digging up a copy of the Cope from a library (or wherever), see if you can at least get the gist of the arguments in the various sections without blowing £20. imo they seem to be sound within the framework (even if you don't agree with it!), and the class analysis in it is spicy-hot :discourse: (along with the various jabs at parts of the left, particularly Euro-marxists and social democrats). If what's in it is correct, then it has some big ol' implications for what's possible and likely in future. also you can use it to wind up fans of 50s social democracy

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The only podcast disappointment is that none of you sound as I imagine your avatars to sound. <:mad:>

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Ok you made me do a ridiculous smile in public. Thanks.

Let me be on the podcast. I don't know anything about anything.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Pesky Splinter posted:

woof. woof woof. whiiiine *snuffle*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust posted:

ḃ̸̢̲̲̲͙̾̋̎̚r̴̖͈͍̱̆̊͒͒̄̈́͠e̵̡͖̝̙͚̿͗̉̏̐̔̔͆͑͐̾͊͗x̴̢̛͙̦̻̮̱͈̪̗̦̮͔͂̊̐͊͋͂́͝ĩ̴̢̮̘̱̩̺̹̹̖̪̼̭̫͛ͅṫ̷̛͚͇͍̺͔̣̒͋̎̅̀̔̒͝ͅ

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Private Speech posted:

I know you aren't exactly a third-worlder leftist making a well-articulated post, but 1% is really not that much? Again it's GDP, not wealth.

The usual figure for the ratio of GDP to wealth is about 5. So 30% of GDP annually would transfer out all uk wealth within ~15 years. At which point you’d presumably have to ask for it to be transferred back as the UK would then be the world’s poorest country.

Sanity check: 6 years of ~40% of GDP fighting WWII left the UK on rations and relying on basically charity from places like Malaysia.

I guess congratulations are in order for finding a stupider policy than Brexit?

In contrast, 1% is a plausible increase in the current 0.7%, and would meet any reasonable definitions of the UK’s responsibility. If the real wealth concentrations like the USA and China spent that much, few places would have the kind of desperate poverty that drives people into leaky boats for long.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the thread opinion of Jess Phillips?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Solefald posted:

Ok gonna listen to the podcast on my commute home. You'd better not all have awful monotone nasally nerd voices or I'm going to be so disappointed.

I apologise in advance for episode 2.

radmonger posted:

In contrast, 1% is a plausible increase in the current 0.7%, and would meet any reasonable definitions of the UK’s responsibility. If the real wealth concentrations like the USA and China spent that much, few places would have the kind of desperate poverty that drives people into leaky boats for long.

Yes, 1% of GDP will meet any reasonable definition of the UK's historic responsibility for how hosed up the third world/middle east is. We barely touched it!

Gort posted:

Awful, self serving piece of poo poo, iirc.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gort posted:

She's bad OP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gort posted:

Jess Phillips likes to hear Jess Phillips talk about Jess Phillips. Jess Phillips!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

Proper working class MP. Most working class MP. Is actually several working class people in a big coat.

e: Prostitutes.

e2: These two are unrelated, Jess Phillips is not several prostitutes in a big coat, because she doesn't think that sex workers are working class.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 10, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Solefald posted:

Ok you made me do a ridiculous smile in public. Thanks.

Let me be on the podcast. I don't know anything about anything.

Ah, I think that makes you perfectly qualified for a goon podcast!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Sorry I genuinely use lads as a gender neutral term, no offence meant

None taken, just thought it was funny considering how big a deal gender equality is over there.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
This is the best Billy Bragg song

https://youtu.be/jo_9UgaxeJE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Rumour mill stuff but

https://mobile.twitter.com/OGMurphy1/status/1171360184817639430

Operation yellowhammer was apparently named at random but still after the little yellow songbird. One of the first books I remember reading was the ladybird book of birds. It sticks in my memory that the call of the yellowhammer, transcribed into English is "a little bit of bread and no cheese". They absolutely know how hosed the country is going to be under NDB