Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I usually get a few months out of my Dunlop 1mm gauged nylon picks. I don't play nearly as much as I did back in the day, but they were always stupidly durable for me. By comparison I remember having to use a fender tort pick once and wearing it down on two sides to a nub after a single practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If I could stop losing them, a carbon fiber Jazz III would last the rest of my life. I just wish they made them in neon glow in the dark colors instead of black.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Acoustically, the standard Max-Grip nylon 60s are my favorite strumming pick, and for mixed play I liked the 88s enough I started using them on the mando too (though I still prefer the 114 for straight picking the mando).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My guitar teacher gave me a 2mm purple delrin pick and I've been using it for over a year with little degradation.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Help

All I am doing lately is working on acoustic fingerpicking and my electrics are gathering dust.

Is this a permanent thing, and should I be worried?

It's super fun when you get your patterns up to decent speed though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My picks only ever wear to a state of feeling nicely broken in. Light touch!

Lately I’ve been playing a lot more metal because I got a hm300 and playing heavy fast things lightly feels so cool.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Help

All I am doing lately is working on acoustic fingerpicking and my electrics are gathering dust.

Fast intricate acoustic picking is like bizarro world shredding. It’s satisfying and requires a similar locked in focus in my experience.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Help

Are you having fun? Are you growing as a musician?

Grats, you are officially doing the right thing.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Help

what happens when you try your fingerpicking techniques on your electric guitars?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

what happens when you try your fingerpicking techniques on your electric guitars?

Yeah. This is, like, 80% of my playing these days.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Lester Shy posted:

If I could stop losing them, a carbon fiber Jazz III would last the rest of my life. I just wish they made them in neon glow in the dark colors instead of black.

I got a Gravity Sunrise Mini as a goof (I love that "stupidly expensive" by pick standards is still only five bucks) and it's screamingly bright green and feels like the Jazz III-est Jazz III ever. I love the thing.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

(I love that "stupidly expensive" by pick standards is still only five bucks)

oh buddy that ain't close to stupidly expensive for picks

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

oh buddy that ain't close to stupidly expensive for picks

If there's one thing all the dudes on mandolin cafe have in common, they all seem to play $50 Blue Chips.

And that's on the cheap side for Blue Chips.

I've never priced actual tortoise shell picks, but I bet they are nuts considering the ethics around them.

(The ethics being, don't play tortoise shell picks.)

Huxley fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 10, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Are Blue Chips the pick equivalent of audiophiles buying cables?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
its what rio uses. i think they're probably legit, but i haven't used one before

i was going to get one, but i couldn't find a way to narrow down the choices. they make a lot of different pick shapes

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They sound good, but when I sound bad it isn't because of the pick, so I play $6 a dozen picks from Guitar Center.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Or you started using the One True Pick Jazz III which, because they are made of pure goodness, cannot be worn away by mere mortals.

Oh I have for sure. Carbon max grip.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don’t knock the pricey “boutique” picks if you haven’t tried them. They’re worth it. Sound and feel can improve so much with the right one. There’s some really impressive stuff going on in that field. Don’t buy V-Picks though unless you want to support people who post memes dunking on sexual assault victims!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i wanna get a blue chip pick and see how long it lasts against my trem picking everyday usage.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Buy one made out of cymbal brass, sand it down to the level of slickness you want. Upside, it'll last forever. Downside, you're gonna go through strings reaaaal loving quick.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
In terms of picking, have you ever seen this guy? https://www.instagram.com/matteo_mancuso96/
Ben Eller posted a video of him, pretty mindblowing and weird finger picking technique he's using.

In terms of normal picking, the only picks I can actually use are Tortex 1.5mm Jazz IIIs (non-XL). I've tried dozens of other picks and they just don't feel right for some reason.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

The Dark Wind posted:

In terms of picking, have you ever seen this guy? https://www.instagram.com/matteo_mancuso96/
Ben Eller posted a video of him, pretty mindblowing and weird finger picking technique he's using.

In terms of normal picking, the only picks I can actually use are Tortex 1.5mm Jazz IIIs (non-XL). I've tried dozens of other picks and they just don't feel right for some reason.

:hf: that's what i use

edit: actually, i use 1.5 on bass and .88 on guitar

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 10, 2019

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

You guys ever watch this video of John Mayer just chilling on a Sat. night teaching guitar to 3k+ teenage girls watching him livestream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrM66h2dTWY&t=1028s

It's otherworldly to me how much sense what he says makes, but how utterly impossible it is to fluidly play the way he does. Dude doesn't even look at this neck once.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ohhhh, find the root and then do that. Now I get it, thanks John! I was doing that but I didn't know about root notes

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What are some good guitar podcasts?

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Franchescanado posted:

I like 60 Cycle Hum, they get sent or find listings that would fit in the Stupid Music poo poo thread and poke fun at them, and talk gear as well. It's goofy, but I like it. It's on Youtube, Google Play and I'm sure other podcast services.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Franchescanado posted:

If you’re down with video then That Pedal Show is fantastic.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TPS is available as an audio-only podcast as well. It's just not the same without the handsome boys.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

TPS is good. I couldn't get into 60 Cycle Hum because the blonde guy interrupts the other guy constantly. Also, while not a podcast, the StewMac youtube channel is basically guitar repair ASMR.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

Apologies for the, uh, contempo christian, but my wife is a church pianist and handed me this book and I want to make sure I'm reading it right.

Those are NOT slash chords, correct? I assume that's the line for the bass where it differs from the root of the guitar chord. But I only suspected that when I tried to work out the fingering for a Dm/G and had a tougher time than I expected to for who this book is aimed at.

Could you even actually play those as slash chords?

i think that notation is supposed to be used for polychords rather than slash chords. http://www.thejazzpianosite.com/jazz-piano-lessons/jazz-chords/polychords/

so for example, that first one seems to be calling for a C major triad in the left hand and an F major triad in the right hand, which i guess makes a C6/11

but in this particular piece of music, i think the composer actually wants you to play a slash chord, based on the style of music and the notes on the staff

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lester Shy posted:

TPS is good. I couldn't get into 60 Cycle Hum because the blonde guy interrupts the other guy constantly. Also, while not a podcast, the StewMac youtube channel is basically guitar repair ASMR.

I love stewmac but they haven't put out a good video in a long time :(

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i think that notation is supposed to be used for polychords rather than slash chords. http://www.thejazzpianosite.com/jazz-piano-lessons/jazz-chords/polychords/

so for example, that first one seems to be calling for a C major triad in the left hand and an F major triad in the right hand, which i guess makes a C6/11

but in this particular piece of music, i think the composer actually wants you to play a slash chord, based on the style of music and the notes on the staff

Thanks everyone for helping to unravel these mysteries.

I'll say, a few weeks on having hung around with more church guitarists, many of them think the numbers after chords signify dynamics. Like, "I don't know what the 7 after this chord means, so I just play them louder."

Also, they will capo as far up the neck as it takes to keep them playing in G. Even on 12 strings.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

heck this chord goes up to 11!!! *bang bang bang*

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah, the stuff they've put out this year is lame "How to use a capo" or "how to buy a strap" type poo poo. But I could watch those old Dan Erlewine repair videos all day long.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I don't feel so bad about dinging my Tele on the left side in the back now. I'm on reverb window shopping at work and there are several Teles with damage in that same spot.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
the firefly thinline telecasters are in stock again

https://www.amazon.com/Firefly-FFTH-Semi-Hollow-Guitar-Color/dp/B07HFCHPYC/

i was about to get one, but i convinced myself i would hate the intonation with those barrel saddles. i also couldn't find the scale length, i assume its 25.5" but i can't be sure.

and im still happy with kevins old tele (which already has legit saddles)

e: hmm, i bet you could replace the saddles with angled ones to get acceptable intonation on this guitar https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/How_to_Intonate_a_Three_Saddle_Tele

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 10, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah, watching their repair videos on some really damaged guitars were fascinating. Unfortunately they got bought by an investment firm who are now trying to market to teenagers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Chip McFuck posted:

Yeah, watching their repair videos on some really damaged guitars were fascinating. Unfortunately they got bought by an investment firm who are now trying to market to teenagers.

noooooooooooo gently caress

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What about this guy's guitar repairs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2zB0xODorY

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lester Shy posted:

I absolutely love listening to Dan Erlewine, but the thing that blew my mind is that he and his brother used to play in The Prime Movers with Iggy loving Pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In the middle of putting in new pickups but a little confused on how to get my 3-way blade hooked up. I can't find any diagrams online for the model below - not on Seymour Duncan or Google. Can anyone help out? We found something from Fender on a 5 way switch but unsure if that is the same.

It's a 2 Humbucker, 1 Tone Knob, 1 Volume Knob Setup.