Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Talking about herself is more a manifestation that she really goes out of her way to self promote, like she deliberately uses the labour party as a vehicle for self promotion, getting herself in the papers, and not to the benefit of the party or the people it represents.

She isn't a good MP but she is very much in the CUKTIG vein of "well I'm going to become tabloid famous by making GBS threads on the labour party"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m not sure that hostility to evidence based decision making is the best position either tbh. “In favour so long as it’s honest” seems better.

I’ve recently worked for two companies: the first one pretended to make decisions based on data and evidence but didn’t (it was actually driven by a complex set of social and political needs that could keep an anthropologist busily employed for a lifetime). The second one actually does. Unsurprisingly, the first company is moribund and the current one is growing.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

CGI Stardust posted:

oh yeah, was going to say, when you've got through the Hickel, I really would suggest digging up a copy of the Cope from a library (or wherever), see if you can at least get the gist of the arguments in the various sections without blowing £20. imo they seem to be sound within the framework (even if you don't agree with it!), and the class analysis in it is spicy-hot :discourse: (along with the various jabs at parts of the left, particularly Euro-marxists and social democrats). If what's in it is correct, then it has some big ol' implications for what's possible and likely in future. also you can use it to wind up fans of 50s social democracy

When I googled "cope divided world divided class" (without quotes), the first page had a link to a pdf of what looked like the full book. It's funny how this is like the sixth book that happens with, sometimes google does that. Uh obviously, don't download any of those pdfs or anything, just saying it's funny. You wouldn't download a car :ninja:

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Talking about herself is more a manifestation that she really goes out of her way to self promote, like she deliberately uses the labour party as a vehicle for self promotion, getting herself in the papers, and not to the benefit of the party or the people it represents.

She isn't a good MP but she is very much in the CUKTIG vein of "well I'm going to become tabloid famous by making GBS threads on the labour party"

People entering politics for the glamour and fame are extremely gross and and I would vote for any party promising to build Truman Show style domes where these people can live out their delusions of celebrity.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

pitch a fitness posted:

People entering politics for the glamour and fame are extremely gross and and I would vote for any party promising to build Truman Show style domes where these people can live out their delusions of celebrity.

I mean, we have Youtube and Twitch

forkboy84 posted:

The actual best Billy Bragg Kirsty MacColl song is maybe A New England

ftfy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m not sure that hostility to evidence based decision making is the best position either tbh. “In favour so long as it’s honest” seems better.

I’ve recently worked for two companies: the first one pretended to make decisions based on data and evidence but didn’t (it was actually driven by a complex set of social and political needs that could keep an anthropologist busily employed for a lifetime). The second one actually does. Unsurprisingly, the first company is moribund and the current one is growing.
That's reasonable, and “In favour so long as it’s honest” goes for many things. Obviously there are perverse incentives in some situations that need more checks and balances than others (and perverse incentives within those checks and balances (it's ideological perverts all the way down :pervert:)) but I'd sooner someone came up with the Oughts that they thought were good and then were open about the studies along the way and why they'd decided to accept or reject them than either burying reports that don't match what you like or outright saying "we're going with utopian optimism and gently caress evidence, NHS salt lamps for everyone".

I appreciate that this itself is an ideological position (with supporting evidence), but that's why Corbs has always voted for more transparency in government.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

She’s alright. Thread doesn’t like her because she criticises the dear leader.

lmao

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Jess Phillips is as thick as pig poo poo

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
gwarsh! it's my first day of uk politics, having been born yesterday, and boy howdy do i think this "jess phillips" is a firecracker.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
gee it's harder to do my insightful political analysis since that donkey kicked me in the head all those times. basically all i can do is poo poo myself, as demonstrated by my posting - but never mind that, here's why jess phillips is great

1) she makes the good words. working class? tea and builders.
b) lefty loons!

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
haha calm down

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

haha calm down

haha make a single good post

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

CoolCab posted:

haha make a single good post

you seem really cross about jess phillips, mate

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ok I listened to the podcast way late, good job buddies! Y'all done good and the sound was a lot more even too (Jamie I think?'s mic could do with the bass rolled off a bit, got a bit muddy sometimes probably from getting close to the mic). I enjoyed Rory Stewart's unconscious austerity metaphor - the trees still won't grow, I've tried cutting some down and nothing, maybe they're just wronguns that are doomed to fail in the glorious british soil :biotruths:

Are you gonna get someone in to ham it up as the podcast's Sebastian Gorka, titanic political general Dominic "dom cum dot com" Cummings?

If you're up for more suggestions, and this is definitely more work, you could probably cut some of the pauses and bits where people start talking over each other (using ripple editing to keep everything in sync) to keep things snappy. Like it's not an issue at all as is, but it's something podcasters do to sound more smart and handsome, so don't worry that it's being too slick or anything. The more you do the more you need a decent workflow though - not sure how easy it is in Audition, there's a guide here for Reaper to set things up so it's quicker but I might be describing a nightmare scenario here!

(but on the other hand using something freely downloadable like Reaper and making the episode templates available means other people can edit and it's not one person's responsibility forever, if that's a concern)

I think it'd be good to have some background music for Comment or Commentariat too, something appropriate like Little Spanish Flea or the music Homer hears when he's thinking about clown college

e- oh I meant to say yr links aren't links on the podcast page

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 10, 2019

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

you seem really bad at posting, bud!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jess Phillips does have a lot of time for people across the aisle but its not like she does this out of some obligation for politeness because she reserves a lot of hatred for one specific MP in the commons; Diane Abbott. Shes even gone as far as saying that if she became leader she would immediately deselect Abbott and once made up a story about telling her to "gently caress off".

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

CoolCab posted:

you seem really bad at posting, bud!

'seem'???

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

'seem'???

you seem to be struggling to construct a joke, may I suggest asking your parents for advice?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

Jess Phillips does have a lot of time for people across the aisle but its not like she does this out of some obligation for politeness because she reserves a lot of hatred for one specific MP in the commons; Diane Abbott. Shes even gone as far as saying that if she became leader she would immediately deselect Abbott and once made up a story about telling her to "gently caress off".
Perhaps the real misogynist was her all along.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gasmask posted:

Cool people don't care about things. :shuckyes:

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

ok you guys have convinced me that she's a racist tory

how could the labour party let such a person in???

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

1) Billy Bragg wrote it.

2) Kirsty MacColl's best song was There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nobody say the obvious Pratchett thing, we've already been through that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kirsty MacColl is Latin for jet engines.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Gasmask posted:

ok you guys have convinced me that she's a racist tory

how could the labour party let such a person in???
British political parties let anyone in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErMO33ttR68

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I know it's not real but :swoon:

https://twitter.com/amyholdingstuff/status/1171256487416619008?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who is amy adams?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

ok you guys have convinced me

what did it? a particularly well jangled set of keys?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Who is amy adams?

waifu

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

CoolCab posted:

what did it? a particularly well jangled set of keys?

no it was your wit and charm mainly

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This is embarrassing lads, please just look at Amy Adams and shut up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is she an actress?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

no it was your wit and charm mainly

well, thank you! i work very hard on my great posts and it's nice to be appreciated. i don't think people say it enough, you know?

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is embarrassing lads, please just look at Amy Adams and shut up

absolument pas

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Is she an actress?

She was in Arrival, which is definitely worth watching

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Kirsty MacColl is Latin for jet engines.

If so, then I guess Death got to share a joke with her about the way she died.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Who is amy adams?

She was in The Muppets film in 2011. Apparently she has played Lois Lane in a couple of movies but I'm not sure I've seen a DC film since...what was more recent, Constatine or Watchmen?

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Is arrival the one with the big talking space ship I saw that and it was pretty dumb but not as dumb as Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Fuchi posted:

She was in Arrival, which is definitely worth watching

I haven't watched a piece of broadcast media created in the last, uh, fifteen years or so, other than the first two hobbit movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't watched a piece of broadcast media created in the last, uh, fifteen years or so, other than the first two hobbit movies.

A powerful self own that.