Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

john crace posted:

Boris Johnson has done wonders for Jeremy Corbyn. While Theresa May was prime minister it was possible for the Conservatives to portray the Labour leader as a dangerous radical. A man who couldn’t be trusted to maintain his allotment, let alone run the country.

Now, though, Corbyn is increasingly looking like the sensible, safe choice. Against shutting down parliament just because MPs had started asking awkward questions. Against a no-deal Brexit that could wipe 5% off GDP. And for respecting the rule of law. The sort of things on which most Tory MPs used to pride themselves.

It must be hard for Corbyn to adjust to his new circumstances. After years of sticking up for unpopular causes, speaking at fringe meetings and voting against his own party, he now finds himself suspiciously close to being a figure of the establishment. Someone who can – more or less – be trusted to do the right thing. At least when compared with Johnson.

so now that dear leader has been rehabilitated by the mainstream fascist neolib media i suppose you all have to turn against him XD

e:
ὃ⍜ὅ. ㅇㅅㅇ. චᆽච. ऴिाी. (ꀄꀾꀄ). ฅ•ω•ฅ. (ꅈꇅꅈ). (ꀂǒꀂ). (ꃪꄳꃪ). =ටᆼට= ʘ̥ꀾʘ̥. =ộ⍛ộ= ^ↀᴥↀ^. โ๏∀๏ใ. (ΦωΦ). ミ๏v๏彡. ि०॰०ॢी. (ฅ'ω'ฅ). (=ↀωↀ=).

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

A powerful self own that.

I quite enjoyed them, they're campy and silly in the same way the mummy with brendan fraser is (again, best film ever made)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

so now that dear leader has been rehabilitated by the mainstream fascist neolib media i suppose you all have to turn against him XD

Labours weakness has always been how acceptable its program would be to the ruling class when it is enacted, and a great deal of humour derived from their apparent inability to notice that until very recently.

The CBI is the worst endorsement Corbyn ever got.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I quite enjoyed them, they're campy and silly in the same way the mummy with brendan fraser is (again, best film ever made)
I just thought of the worst thing ever.

The Mummy with Brendan O'Neill.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure I'm trusting your taste cinema.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I jest slightly, I do really like that film but if I had to pick a favourite it'd either be Alien or The Thing. If someone made a version of The Thing that was paced like Alien, that'd be the actual best film.

Maybe some kind of alien vs predator crossover where kurt russel and sigourney weaver team up to fight the thingalien with flamethrowers.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

She was in The Muppets film in 2011. Apparently she has played Lois Lane in a couple of movies but I'm not sure I've seen a DC film since...what was more recent, Constatine or Watchmen?

Watchmen was more recent and also bad, though Constantine is enjoyable dreck if you hit your head enough to forget the Hellblazer comics and certainly worth it for Peter Stormare's Lucifer

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Is arrival the one with the big talking space ship I saw that and it was pretty dumb but not as dumb as Brexit.

:what: Arrival is great

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I jest slightly, I do really like that film but if I had to pick a favourite it'd either be Alien or The Thing. If someone made a version of The Thing that was paced like Alien, that'd be the actual best film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoONl2P8fw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Illuyankas posted:

Watchmen was more recent and also bad, though Constantine is enjoyable dreck if you hit your head enough to forget the Hellblazer comics and certainly worth it for Peter Stormare's Lucifer

Oh yes constantine is a very fun film too. And it has tilda swinton in it.

If the kurt russel/sigourney weaver/pingu crossover film could be done in claymation that would also be swell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look I like two things in films. People fighing very good practical effects with flamethrowers, and hollywood slapstick action comedy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Illuyankas posted:

I don't know if I'd say Watchmen is bad so much as it's just there. Totally unnecessary, it does nothing original or interesting until the ending, it's just a panel by panel remake of the comic but with some songs you recognise. And then the ending. I'd certainly not ever recommend someone watch it.

Actually, I completely forgot the Nolan Batman film with Bane, that has to be after Watchmen, right? Dark Knight Returns? Rises? Some word beginning with R. I realise I could just google this but it isn't worth the effort. The point is I haven't seen Amy Adams playing Lois Lane, I just read that she had.

There was a point in time where I kept up with movies much more and could get quite snobby about it but that point has past me by and now I will just watch mindless trash because my attention span has been destroyed by the internet so I'm probably not going to see The Third Man ever again.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 10, 2019

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Everything is fine

https://twitter.com/alexgspence/status/1171419531169947648?s=21

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Also, Amy Adams is fantastic in ‘The Master’

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

Also, Amy Adams is fantastic in ‘The Master’

:agreed:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

e:
ὃ⍜ὅ. ㅇㅅㅇ. චᆽච. ऴिाी. (ꀄꀾꀄ). ฅ•ω•ฅ. (ꅈꇅꅈ). (ꀂǒꀂ). (ꃪꄳꃪ). =ටᆼට= ʘ̥ꀾʘ̥. =ộ⍛ộ= ^ↀᴥↀ^. โ๏∀๏ใ. (ΦωΦ). ミ๏v๏彡. ि०॰०ॢी. (ฅ'ω'ฅ). (=ↀωↀ=).

Julio Cruz posted:

you realise that calling him that makes you sound like Andrew Neil

also I don't know how much coverage the UK papers generally get in Sweden but we're less than a week away from Corbyn being photoshopped as a chicken, so no we're still quite a long loving way from him being "rehabilitated"

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 10, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Look I like two things in films. People fighing very good practical effects with flamethrowers, and hollywood slapstick action comedy.
Feature length version of that Nazi who charbroiled himself trying to burn down a synagogue would be perfect then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16UZiwBwwvk

I'll get Chris Morris.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

forkboy84 posted:

I don't know if I'd say Watchmen is bad so much as it's just there. Totally unnecessary, it does nothing original or interesting until the ending, it's just a panel by panel remake of the comic but with some songs you recognise. And then the ending. I'd certainly not ever recommend someone watch it.

Actually, I completely forgot the Nolan Batman film with Bane, that has to be after Watchmen, right? Dark Knight Returns? Rises? Some word beginning with R. I realise I could just google this but it isn't worth the effort. The point is I haven't seen Amy Adams playing Lois Lane, I just read that she had.

Man of Steel is brilliant and Snyder deserved more for it than nerd crying about it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

Man of Steel is brilliant and Synder deserved more for it than nerd crying about it.

lol no

two guys punching one another through buildings sounds good in theory but when you've watched half an hour of it filmed through the shakiest shakycam known to man it's just so incredibly boring

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

baka kaba posted:

Are you gonna get someone in to ham it up as the podcast's Sebastian Gorka, titanic political general Dominic "dom cum dot com" Cummings?

The UK's Gorka has to be Gavin "Tarantula" Williamson. Cummings is a super boring numbers guy outside of his galaxy brain Brexit plots.

Jedit posted:

1) Billy Bragg wrote it.

2) Kirsty MacColl's best song was There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis.

Billy Bragg conceded defeat, and the OP did say "maybe". I'm partial to Caroline.

Total Meatlove posted:

Man of Steel is brilliant and Snyder deserved more for it than nerd crying about it.

If anyone wants to hear or read more words on this excellent subject...

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't watched a piece of broadcast media created in the last, uh, fifteen years or so, other than the first two hobbit movies.

It's worth keeping in touch just for those blink and you miss em hidden gems, like In Fabric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0hmruwUeW4

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Stealing Dan Olson's opinion here, but Man of Steel feels like the edit was done in the wrong order. Every time it asks a (theoretically) interesting question in flashback, it's after that question has already been answered in the film's present.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

lol no

two guys punching one another through buildings sounds good in theory but when you've watched half an hour of it filmed through the shakiest shakycam known to man it's just so incredibly boring

Also the subject was thoroughly explored in the only terminator film I have seen, terminator 3, only one of the guys is a lady.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tarnop posted:

Stealing Dan Olson's opinion here, but Man of Steel feels like the edit was done in the wrong order. Every time it asks a (theoretically) interesting question in flashback, it's after that question has already been answered in the film's present.

Yeah. It makes the whole thing feel like a bunch of scenes being shown in a random order.

Terrible film.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

the only terminator film I have seen, terminator 3,

Why do you hate yourself this much

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In my defence that one was only because my mum had the DVD so I watched it cos it was there. Terminator 3 is a fairly dull film. It does, however, have a large proportion of its runtime devoted to watching arnold schwartzenegger getting punched through buildings.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't watched a piece of broadcast media created in the last, uh, fifteen years or so, other than the first two hobbit movies.

What the gently caress

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

In my defence that one was only because my mum had the DVD so I watched it cos it was there. Terminator 3 is a fairly dull film.

It's less watching that one, than not watching the first 2

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's less watching that one, than not watching the first 2

Well she didn't have the dvds for those.

Spoilers but the majority of my film experience comes from films my mum owned when I was a kid.

So I have seen a werid mix of films.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Well yeah, I'm mostly judging your mum here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She probably watched the others when they came out in the cinema.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Go get them

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Julio Cruz posted:

lol no

The fight isn’t actually that long.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like I've seen enough pieces of commando, rambo, predator, and tropic thunder to more or less guess how terminator goes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

The fight isn’t actually that long.

It did feel extremely long watching it.

I sort of appreciated in the next film where you get a different angle on that flight and it's lensed like 9/11 responder footage. But that film then also went rapidly to shite as well

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like I've seen enough pieces of commando, rambo, predator, and tropic thunder to more or less guess how terminator goes.

Such arrogance

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've seen The Mummy Returns loads of times but never seen The Mummy because ITV didn't show that one constantly in the mid-2000s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

njsykora posted:

I've seen The Mummy Returns loads of times but never seen The Mummy because ITV didn't show that one constantly in the mid-2000s.

It's very good, I recommend it. I haven't seen all of the mummy returns though.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You are wrong, both T1 and T2 are amazing and go watch them now, immediately, pronto

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the one where sylvester stallone fights an invisible member of the village people in south america and he kills him by fighting him in a freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The genre of youtube-video-dunk is kinda illiterate, especially when talking about reasons why something is "bad". It's kinda like liberal politics in a sense, based on assembling a collection of "rules" about filmmaking as they appear to have played out in retrospect and then getting really mad at anything that breaks them, without regard to material reality.

Like the discussion about Sherlock yesterday, you've had "Why is Sherlock bad" explained to you in a funny, engaging way that followed some sort of internal logic, but when you go to use it in anger you're suddenly in the position of claiming that the show was self-evidently terrible and never made any sense and that's obvious to any onlooker, and so 10 million+ people, uh, accidentally watched it consistently for five years.