Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

his arboreal adventure is why, to this day, systems descended from the english common law divide powers among various “branches” of govt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i loved the season finale. black rod should make for a great villain next season. maybe well find that shes been masterminding brexit all along?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

poty posted:

i loved the season finale. black rod should make for a great villain next season. maybe well find that shes been masterminding brexit all along?

brod is more likely to be a travis than a servalan imo

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brodxit

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THEN RAISE THE SCARLET STANDARD HIGH.
BENEATH ITS SHADE WE'LL LIVE AND DIE,
THOUGH COWARDS FLINCH AND TRAITORS SNEER,
WE'LL KEEP THE RED FLAG FLYING HERE.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:siren:BREAKING:siren:

The Royal Scoundrel has taken the Queen's Assent and scampered away with it. Per a 1649 rule, a law is inadmissible if the Scoundrel manages to steal it and hide it in his pouch. Black Rod has been dispatched to find and arrest the Royal Scoundrel before midnight.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/lunacyeyes/status/1171441861275222019?s=19

Your poo poo posts are litrally poo poo, mate

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

More like ASBOjo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Helsing posted:

They invited his son back because it turns out being run by a protestant Taliban wasn't any better than having a monarch, and they figured at least the son of the guy they decapitated would be more compliant than the vicious crew of Christian fundamentalists that went on to found America.

The Puritans turned out ok here eventually. The lovely stuff mostly came about thanks to the aristocratic manorial system (filled with monarchy supporters, Cavaliers etc) getting transplanted to Virginia and then getting fused with chattel slavery.
So yeah not sure you should be crowing about the Cavalier side of the civil war so much imo.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Gammonati have summoned an Elder Ham to take back control of Brexit.

Neil Gaiman wrote a Doctor Who episode where the essence of the TARDIS takes human form. I feel this is similar but with a Wetherspoons pub instead.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/LeonaONeill1/status/1171140729462231042?s=19

https://twitter.com/LeonaONeill1/status/1171394643176632321?s=19

So is this usual?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

oh that slaps me on the knee real good

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Finicums Wake posted:

more like brexSHIT, is my opinion

behave yourself! this is the Brexit thread! <:mad:>

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Der Meister posted:

yea king charles hated parliament and dismissed it all the them when he thought he had enough money and didn’t need it. when he did it in 1629 he didn’t call for a new parliament for several years. then he called them back and was a big bitch and tried to arrest several MPs as they sat in the commons. that was unsuccessful because he was 4’9” or whatever and I imagine had the fortitude of a new kitten. that added to the anger against him in what became a civil war that ultimately resulted in his decapitation. but then later the English lost their minds even more and asked his son to reestablish the monarchy

anyway I’ll have an oreo shake

life under Oliver Cromwell was unbelievably lovely, which is why they restored the monarchy

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

looking forward to "much like your posting" being read into HANSARD

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Helsing posted:

They invited his son back because it turns out being run by a protestant Taliban wasn't any better than having a monarch, and they figured at least the son of the guy they decapitated would be more compliant than the vicious crew of Christian fundamentalists that went on to found America.

Eh, it's not like those people weren't still in charge after. It's more that without a king, English gentry were all hyper focused on their individual purposes to the point where nothing, ever, could be decided upon by the government. Even by today's standards it was completely ineffectual and terrible.

The English upper class are inherently duplicitous and full of treachery. They need royalty to keep them in line.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

the future loving sucks

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Victory Position posted:

life under Oliver Cromwell was unbelievably lovely, which is why they restored the monarchy

It was but it wasn't directly because of him alone. It's not like they terfed all the members of Parliament who backed him, or later tried to make him king first before restoring the old monarchy

It sucked because the English gentry were, like, ludicrously bad at managing any of the large scale concerns of the nation that gave them their station without a clear, god appointed sovereign to keep them aligned on things.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Victory Position posted:

this is whimsical oak prince erasure

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Victory Position posted:

I think it’s funny that they sent charlie jr a nicely worded note and he was willing to come back to the place that chopped off his dad’s head, and then they went after and murdered all the signatories to the execution lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A Cromwellian dictatorship is the only language the English understand. Without it, they fall to baseness and covert popery.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

It was but it wasn't directly because of him alone. It's not like they terfed all the members of Parliament who backed him, or later tried to make him king first before restoring the old monarchy

It sucked because the English gentry were, like, ludicrously bad at managing any of the large scale concerns of the nation that gave them their station without a clear, god appointed sovereign to keep them aligned on things.

I missed something important as I don't know how the gentry were at the time; Ireland always comes to mind, but not England itself, save people booing about banning Christmas

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Victory Position posted:

I missed something important as I don't know how the gentry were at the time; Ireland always comes to mind, but not England itself, save people booing about banning Christmas

Oh yeah, Cromwell was a monster with regard to Ireland, no question and it was largely his purview how he went about with his brutal massacres. I'm not trying to defend the guy. I'm saying that when they finally got back to having a king, it wasn't because the lords and land owners of England suddenly smartened up about theocratic bullshit, it was because Cromwell refused the crown, his son was useless and they had been completely terrible at managing anything without some patriarch decreeing things to them from on high.

The English really didn't want a Republic when it all started out, that kinda happened thanks to the insane ego and generally stupid behaviour of the King, and when a generation later the infighting was more or less done they kinda just looked vack and said 'eh, if we added a few more limits to the King so he can't be as much of a oval office as Charles was it would probably be okay'

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Which artist is going to pen the dubstep anthem for The Troubles II: No Way to Brexit?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is this BrTroubles?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Brexit will put an end to petrol crime by putting an end to petrol

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Sadly, yes.

Brexit has thrown a spotlight on the situation in Northern Ireland because Troubles II: Republic Boogaloo is a scary thing Remainers can wave around to show how bad Brexit will be.

But if you lived in the Creggan or any of the other socially deprived areas of NI then this has been the kind of low-level conflict that has been going on since the Good Friday Agreement. The NI peace process is incredibly fragile and has suffered badly at the hands of Sinn Fein and the DUP, who both favour entrenched sectarian politics over building a post-conflict working solution in NI.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

National registry of petrol bombs

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BMX Ninja posted:

Sadly, yes.

Brexit has thrown a spotlight on the situation in Northern Ireland because Troubles II: Republic Boogaloo is a scary thing Remainers can wave around to show how bad Brexit will be.

But if you lived in the Creggan or any of the other socially deprived areas of NI then this has been the kind of low-level conflict that has been going on since the Good Friday Agreement. The NI peace process is incredibly fragile and has suffered badly at the hands of Sinn Fein and the DUP, who both favour entrenched sectarian politics over building a post-conflict working solution in NI.

the solution is a 32 county ireland

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

i say swears online posted:

he had armor fitting him when he was young iirc

must have had a bad late 20's

The more things change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_the_Cloth_of_Gold

"The Field of the Cloth of Gold (French: Camp du Drap d'Or) was a site in Balinghem – equidistant between Ardres in France and Guînes in the then-English Pale of Calais – that hosted a tournament field as part of a summit from 7 to 24 June 1520, between King Henry VIII of England and King Francis I of France.

The summit was arranged to increase the bond of friendship between the two kings following the Anglo-French treaty of 1514.

[...]

This meeting made a great impression on contemporaries, but its political results were very minor. While the carefully established rules of the tournament stated that the two kings would not compete against each other, Henry surprisingly challenged Francis in a wrestling match, but it turned sour for Henry when he quickly lost.

Relations between the two countries worsened soon after the event when Cardinal Wolsey arranged an alliance with Charles V, who declared war on France later that year commencing the Italian War of 1521–26."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love that capitalism has destroyed cell phones through spoof calls

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the solution is a 32 county ireland

The United Republican States of Ireland and Scotland. Provincial status to Wales if they promise to stop being so English.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

euphronius posted:

remember when Muslims ran vast swaths of Europe for like ... ever

literally one of the high points of academia in the middle ages

MAGA = Make Al-Andalus Great Again

boris jompfson can't handle the U Mad Caliph8 bruv

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

foobardog posted:

Which artist is going to pen the dubstep anthem for The Troubles II: No Way to Brexit?

Troubles 2: Brexit Boogaloo

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

foobardog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq5fTjj3gAg&t=19s

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ban this sick filth

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i want to see an oceans 11 style movie where they steal the parliamentary mace

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i want to see an oceans 11 style movie where they steal the parliamentary mace

In the opening scene the gang just walks in and takes it, and the rest of the movie is Parliament hemming and hawing awkwardly about whether it's worth making a fuss over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

foobardog posted:

There's a BBC program called Pop goes Northern Ireland, which is just archival footage from a particular year of the troubles, with the pop music hits of that year as background music. It sounds like a bad idea, but it works really really well.