Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wait, Target pays it's cart pushers 2 dollars an hour? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
You're legally allowed to pay mentally handicapped people less than minimum wage, I think.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cicero posted:

You're legally allowed to pay mentally handicapped people less than minimum wage, I think.

Why?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This like most things in America has a very simple explanation

:capitalism:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, there are a lot of exceptions, but I didn't think Target did. It's usually a big pain in the rear end to set up a different pay scale. At walmart the cart pushers and door greeters (The ones that haven't just been transitioned over to being full AP associates) get paid the same A level as the rest.

I know goodwill does it, but their entire labor group is made up from exploiting that. I just imagined with most large businesses that they wouldn't care as much, it'd cost more than it's worth to have a special program and all that. Besides, they're already paying more than minimum wage anyways.(Begrudgingly so.)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cicero posted:

It's billed as 'enrichment'. My mom briefly worked in a workshop overseeing individuals doing simple work like assembling bobbleheads.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, it is a way to incentivize hiring mentally handicapped people. Any business would obviously hire a non mentally handicapped person given the opportunity for identical pay. I think they should definitely be paid more, minimum wage is a minimum for a reason.

I don't think it should be this way, but it isn't all bad. Some people do get a lot out of it. My store gets a lot of autistic kids and their caretakers in all the time, and talking with them after seeing them out working they can be just so happy to be part of normal society.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Sundae posted:

I was in that one a few months ago and it was so dead quiet that it was creepy. No music playing, weird-rear end combinations of things by the register (bottled water, cans of roach killer, and dollar underpants), no employees anywhere except registers, etc. Maybe I caught them during a bad time, because your description sounds nothing like when I was there.

I didn't even notice the no-music thing. The only weird thing I saw at the register was many signs for "get this diamond ring/necklace/bracelet thing for $20 when you spend $20", as well as a load of San Francisco Giants merchandise which apparently was on offer but nothing was priced. I was in there on the Tuesday morning after Labour Day, so I may have just caught them at their only good time!

The rest of the mall was mostly filled with shops, but there weren't many people about.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Is this a for-real question? Do you have even the slightest capacity for rational thought?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Everyone always raves about Costco, but it seems like most of the savings are on processed foods. I can get milk, meat, and produce at better prices at higher quality so I really don't get it.

Organic chicken breast, household staples, gas, cheap solid jackets, are just a few items I think are Best Buy’s there over most places. Not to mention their salmon burgers, canned goods and so on.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

pseudanonymous posted:

Is this a for-real question? Do you have even the slightest capacity for rational thought?

Hi, I'm from a civilized country where we don't believe in punishing people for poo poo that really isn't their fault to begin with.

Instead of paying them poo poo, we subsidize their wages and/or provide the companies with tax deductions.

That way they feel like they are productive members of society and we can use the social support functions on people who can't work at all.

Clean, efficient and nice.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, I was about to say that subsidizing wages for people who are mentally handicapped makes way the gently caress more sense. Especially since that's what already happens, except in this case it's their caretakers who are effectively subsidizing them.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I'm not an expert, but I think the logic is that basically any minimum wage work is probably going to just be taking money out of their disability payment through higher earnings so it doesn't matter who's paying them. So, store pays them a prorated wage and they get to keep their disability. Theoretically.

Still conceptually hosed, obviously and there are way better ways to do it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you earn "too much" money you lose a shitload of free services/healthcare for serious disabilities, physical or mental. The reduced wage exists as a way for said severely disabled people to be "working in society" without losing those benefits and it's not something that every business out there is allowed to do.

That said Target has been n the news much more often for violating ADA rules against their disabled employees than they have been for managing to get the necessary exemptions that would allow them to hire a bunch and pay them under minimum wage.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, I'm not an expert, but I think the logic is that basically any minimum wage work is probably going to just be taking money out of their disability payment through higher earnings so it doesn't matter who's paying them. So, store pays them a prorated wage and they get to keep their disability. Theoretically.

Still conceptually hosed, obviously and there are way better ways to do it.

The major issue with our way of doing it is that the company is effectively benefiting from exploitation even if there's technically some aid available for the disabled person and their caretakers. Wages should be entirely subsidized and businesses should be taxed to support that so that businesses aren't disincentivized from hiring disabled people, but they are still collectively paying for their labor. It's not just a conceptual problem; it's also a practical ethical issue that businesses are benefiting from near slave labor.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-10-gamestop-to-close-180-200-underperforming-stores-globally-this-year

Gamestop closing 180-200 stores by the end of the fiscal year with more planned in the next 12-24 months.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
You know that your business model is unsustainable when you pay your workers nothing, chisel your customers and sell overpriced poo poo yet can't keep the doors open.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

JustJeff88 posted:

You know that your business model is unsustainable when you pay your workers nothing, chisel your customers and sell overpriced poo poo yet can't keep the doors open.

part of it is that digital storefronts exist, but I wonder how much of it is due to Gamestop actively driving away their own customer base with the constant upselling of warranties and undercoating or whatever

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

My hometown k-mart in Barberton OH is finally closing. I never knew how it managed to stave off the previous 87 rounds but it’s time has finally come. RIP the place all my friends broke their shoplifting cherry at....

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Dehry posted:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-10-gamestop-to-close-180-200-underperforming-stores-globally-this-year

Gamestop closing 180-200 stores by the end of the fiscal year with more planned in the next 12-24 months.

Funko POP! bought them as much time as it could.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I feel slightly sad for GameStop since video game publishers squeezed every cent out of them and supposedly left them almost no margins on actual games. Plus the move to digital games was always going to be a killer. It was a funny few years when the publishers were actively trying to kill pre-owned game sales to spite Gamestop and Gamestop was shifting everything to pre-owned games and trade-ins to carve out a profit from the publishers. But then again, they ran a bad shopping experience, barely adapted and managed to treat their employees and customers pretty bad so :shrug:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I don't know what it would/would have looked like, but I feel like in a different world GameStop could have made a successful Best Buy like pivot if they weren't so entrenched as themselves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dameius posted:

I don't know what it would/would have looked like, but I feel like in a different world GameStop could have made a successful Best Buy like pivot if they weren't so entrenched as themselves.

EB in Australia is the local counterpart of Gamestop and as far as I know they don't do any of the upselling poo poo, maybe because Australians have zero patience for it. And they seem to be doing okay, though the store is about half game merchandise along with actual games.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gamestop should have realize what was going on around them. Poor management and a lack of cash flow killed them. pretty loving typical of most businesses that fail.

Why did these idiots not take a loving look at blockbuster as to what happens when you only sell the information on physical media and don't own the content.

Bestbuy on the otherhand has been turning around their operations because of their new CEO. a former hotel mogul, they pivoted towards service over all to retain customers. Gamestop did not.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

OhFunny posted:

Funko POP! bought them as much time as it could.

Are these dumb things going away too?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Funkopops will be the last surviving evidence that there was a tool-using species on this planet.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

EB in Australia is the local counterpart of Gamestop and as far as I know they don't do any of the upselling poo poo, maybe because Australians have zero patience for it. And they seem to be doing okay, though the store is about half game merchandise along with actual games.

And as a counterpoint to this Game Traders and GAME used to be here in Australia aswell and followed their orgin of home company policy, and well the local GAME store closed and the local game traders broke free and become a local game and gaming collectible store before EB started

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wrex Ruckus posted:

part of it is that digital storefronts exist, but I wonder how much of it is due to Gamestop actively driving away their own customer base with the constant upselling of warranties and undercoating or whatever

That's been a really common thing in retail; instead of getting with the times they're just like "hey let's yell at our employees more, give them impossible quotas, and force them to put stupid bullshit the customers don't even want!" Then when customers inevitably get sick of it because you can just buy everything from Amazon cheaper, with significantly less hassle, without going anywhere, and in your underwear at whatever time you loving feel like they create stupid bullshit like customer engagement programs. Yeah, the obvious problem is that the salespeople just aren't saying the right words at customers. If they just smiled more the customers would come back!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's been a really common thing in retail; instead of getting with the times they're just like "hey let's yell at our employees more, give them impossible quotas, and force them to put stupid bullshit the customers don't even want!" Then when customers inevitably get sick of it because you can just buy everything from Amazon cheaper, with significantly less hassle, without going anywhere, and in your underwear at whatever time you loving feel like they create stupid bullshit like customer engagement programs. Yeah, the obvious problem is that the salespeople just aren't saying the right words at customers. If they just smiled more the customers would come back!
admitting you hosed up is for losers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Surely Gamestop has a single biggest issue of all the completely redundant stores they still operate. All the places that were bought out over time and just turned to additional Gamestop locations. Those have finally started shutting down, often in association with the malls they tended to be in dying, but they must still be operating way too many.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

fishmech posted:

Surely Gamestop has a single biggest issue of all the completely redundant stores they still operate. All the places that were bought out over time and just turned to additional Gamestop locations. Those have finally started shutting down, often in association with the malls they tended to be in dying, but they must still be operating way too many.

Yeah, every town doesn't need a Gamestop. Hell, the Pheasant Lane mall in Nashua had two Gamestops in THE SAME MALL. I think one used to be an EB.

The series of mergers and acquisitions that brought us the current monster of Gamestop still bums me out. RIP Electronics Boutique and Babbages.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah, every town doesn't need a Gamestop. Hell, the Pheasant Lane mall in Nashua had two Gamestops in THE SAME MALL. I think one used to be an EB.

The series of mergers and acquisitions that brought us the current monster of Gamestop still bums me out. RIP Electronics Boutique and Babbages.

I stole a copy of Borland C++ from Babbages and a copy of Super Metroid from EB when I was a kid. Actually, I spent a lot of time thieving in the Altamonte Springs Mall software retailers now that I think about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Anyone who's a regional manager of any kind of above gets paid a completely insane amount of money for the work they do, more so than in other retailers IIRC (I haven't worked at GameStop for a while but was a manger for like ten years at various ones). A huge part of GameStop's probably is that its employees are paid poo poo and the stores are understaffed because they just don't have the payroll (meanwhile you'll see like from 2013 to 2014 the top folks basically like doubled their salaries).

They also flailed around aimlessly A LOT since 2010. They dropped a lot of money into trying to get into selling tablets, selling cell phone service plans, trying to get into F2P mobile and browser/Facebook games, cloud gaming stuff similar to OnLive, pushing mobile devices and tablets for their gaming ability. They basically bought or invested heavily in all of these smaller companies to do these things like just after the "this is the next big thing!!!" buzz on them was already slowly starting to wane.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

fishmech posted:

This too, GameStop regional managers were always full of this "I want to rule the streets" (exact verbiage at meetings) attitude of having a ton of stores everywhere all the time and never actually adapting at all in any way and how we're just like the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars guys we have to really sacrifice and do everything we can to defeat Best Buy. It was so loving stupid. I hate literally every single person that ever worked as a district manager or above at GameStop, regional manager, loss prevention, HR, whatever, gently caress'em.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 11, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah the mall in my hometown which is now dead still had two separate Gamestop locations in it up til about 2013 or 2014 - former Babbages in the one wing and former EB Games in the other. The mall itself shutdown in late 2017 after pipes burst in the remaining open section - the remaining Gamestop having left a few months earlier.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
now imagine instead of leasing space in a shopping center every half mile for a Gamestop, you built a giant building every half mile. the CVS/Walgreens experience.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Proud Christian Mom posted:

now imagine instead of leasing space in a shopping center every half mile for a Gamestop, you built a giant building every half mile. the CVS/Walgreens experience.

At least that way you own some real estate assets instead of nothing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

kefkafloyd posted:

Electronic's Boutique was my first job after coming to the US. It was passable until they got bought out and went public then, you guessed it, they started rolling out the ridiculous quotas and gimmicky bullshit that nobody wanted.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The writing's pretty much on the wall for the low income every-man mall experience. Even if your Sears, K-Mart, or JC Penney isn't closed yet, death hangs in the air. People probably can and do rob them blind, as literally no one is on the floor to serve customers except in the POS transaction islands.

The remaining successful malls (we have three or so in Greater Seattle) are offering "experiences," generally "high end" offerings to cater to how desolate of interesting things boomtown Seattle can be, and give you somewhere to spend your coding money on with your growing family. Food courts with no restaurants you've ever heard of, with bars, for the people with really nothing to do on a Friday night. Tesla stores. Lots of sweets shops and fairly elaborate play areas (giant-size chess does look fun). Ritzy movie theaters with food service and liquor.

Mid and low-tier department stores are on the skids, but Nordstrom's, which sells in some cases the exact same stuff for like four times as much (how much can a pair of chinos cost? sky's the limit), is doing pretty good, despite... Interesting Christmas finance results. It's a clothing department store with a bar.

Everything you got at Sears et al you are now expected to pick up online. That space belongs to Amazon and has for some years.

I can't say it's not fun, but the gold-trimmed mall experience is gaudy as gently caress. It's still weird to me as a millennial who grew up with KB Toys and places where they let you play the games enough that I almost beat Sonic 1 without ever owning it. When JC Penney and Sears were actually treated as premiere experiences to some extent.

I'm trying to figure out what the third mall is?

I assume 1 & 2 is Southcenter and Bellevue Square

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 11, 2019

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the third mall is?

I assume 1 & 2 is Southcenter and Bellevue Square

Alderwood and/or Northgate I assume, though I think Northgate is in the process of doing a massive overhaul. Haven't been up that way in a couple years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cross roads in Bellevue seems to be doing well and isn't high end.