Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Brad's politics are hilarious and talking about taxes is the easiest way to piss him off (besides reminding him about sexually harassing his female employees).

Did anyone ever finish the Gal Civ 3 Crusade campaign, the SP missions are such a chore I only got up to the part what the Thalan block you from reaching Wardells (Brad named the main character after himself lol) fleet. How does it end? Does the universe explode?

The Brad posted:

Imagine if in GalCIv II we let people set their taxes to 100% and there was no downside to this. Now, imagine if we put out GalCiv II v1.4 and we made it so you couldn’t change taxes. People would have been ticked off. Understandably. But I hope also that people would understand that such a system is broken. There’s no such thing a a free lunch.

Ending the Free Lunch
I’ve had a lot of time to think about the production wheel. By reading the forums, at length, I’ve gotten a much better idea of what the issue really is. It’s the free lunch aspect of the production wheel I don’t like. In the real world, command economies don’t do well against free markets in the long-run. But in GalCiv III, they’re absolutely the way to go. The problem ISN’T the wheel on its own (I don’t like the micro management but I have no issue with people voluntarily choosing to play that way). The problem is that you get to coerce people without any downside.

normal people posted:

there is no "free lunch" taking place here. As posters in the forum thread quickly pointed out, running the spending wheel at 100% production means that the player isn't running it at 100% research or 100% wealth or any other combination of spending. If you put all your eggs in the manufacturing basket, you're getting nothing from the science or wealth baskets. That's a basic tradeoff - there's nothing "free" taking place here. (More technically speaking, every planet spends all of its income each turn, the player merely directing where it goes. Allocating that spending to the area with the highest bonuses isn't some form of trickery, it's basic strategy.)

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

oscarthewilde posted:

lol, Brad Wardell, founder of Stardock, creator of Gal Civ and all-around lovely human being is such a lovely libertarian he can't help but shoehorn his ideology into his games and and in so doing actively worsens the (already pretty lovely) game. And I thought only SJW's were ruining the industry by forcing their ideology into games. just lol

That's also why Gal Civ explicitly had a Laffer Curve baked in.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

oscarthewilde posted:

lol, Brad Wardell, founder of Stardock, creator of Gal Civ and all-around lovely human being is such a lovely libertarian he can't help but shoehorn his ideology into his games and and in so doing actively worsens the (already pretty lovely) game. And I thought only SJW's were ruining the industry by forcing their ideology into games. just lol

It's also pretty funny because I don't think anybody (except like some very bizarre conservatives) thinks that a government works without delegation and interpretation. The contrivance that the player just "controls" everything is a games joke, not a historical grounding.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ulmont posted:

That's also why Gal Civ explicitly had a Laffer Curve baked in.

Wait, seriously? :lol: I don't know if that's funny or pathetic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I dont know posted:

Wait, seriously? :lol: I don't know if that's funny or pathetic.

It was either a Laffer Curve or explicit supply-side economics. I can't find a link now though that isn't secondhand, since it's been a minute.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also isn't every 4x/grand strategy game ultimately about the player taking the role of a highly centralized autocratic god figure that centrally plans every aspect of their respective civilization? Trying to make a game in the genre where you don't centrally plan everything (i.e. have the player controlling everything) seems both pointless and likely to result in an extremely boring game where there isn't enough player agency to actually engage with it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Paradox Games would like a word with you

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Also isn't every 4x/grand strategy game ultimately about the player taking the role of a highly centralized autocratic god figure that centrally plans every aspect of their respective civilization? Trying to make a game in the genre where you don't centrally plan everything (i.e. have the player controlling everything) seems both pointless and likely to result in an extremely boring game where there isn't enough player agency to actually engage with it.

The closest I can think of is Distant Worlds but that's purely because you can automate away anything you don't want to do yourself. I never play that way, but I'm sure it can result in strange decisions or behaviors if you roleplay Ship Designer Man and let the AI handle everything else.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

Paradox Games would like a word with you

Ck2 is more of a character rpg at this point so I guess it would be the exception but EU4, Stellaris, and HoI4 all have the player centrally planning their country/space empire.

I never played Vicky 2 so maybe thats different.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AnEdgelord posted:

As a rule yeah, basically. The best game in terms of "creating a giant empire that has anything resembling real world governance" is probably friggin EVE.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's something claustrophobic about the idea of establishing late 20th/early 21st century ideology as a fundamental force in a distant future where Mankind Has Conquered The Stars. Honestly I think Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom does more to address the reality of a post-scarcity economy than most sci fi ever does...

Tulip posted:

As a rule yeah, basically. The best game in terms of "creating a giant empire that has anything resembling real world governance" is probably friggin EVE.

Or this, yes

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think there's a game in the idea of trying to find ways to operate a far-flung interstellar empire through hands-off methods and working through intermediary layers of authority, but it's definitely not a 4X game.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Endless Reigns

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Serephina posted:

I agree that pearls in particular are a lot of busy-work (I've not bought the more recent DLCs), but skipping them is totally fine. Or rather, just gathering the bare minimum as you walk past. There's only a few pearl buildings, they're relatively cheap for a tall-ish empire, and you won't miss them if you skip them.

There are also towers and equipment you can sink pearls into. Of course those aren't must-have, but the point is if you try to optimize your play that a bunch of cheap scouts are extremely cost effective: you spend one turn in several cities to build them and each winter/twilight they bring pearls/dust, and this complements any playstyle. It would be a more valid choice if you'd have to spend research or dust or something else to unlock pearl building tears beyond the first one. Then not using them would be a valid choice, as if right now not engaging into a pearl/twilight temple busy work is almost always bad choice.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
After the Empire End has an interesting take on the idea of a hands off empire, but it is hard to call it a turn-based 4X. At anything above the easiest level your starting civilization choices will force you to be at war with rival groups. The economic layer has an interesting trade off between investing in small scale trade routes that you can monopolize or map spanning pilgrimage routes. Do you settle for a tiny piece of a giant pie or risk unpopular wars for a captive market.

edited to correct mistake

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 15, 2019

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Defiance Industries posted:

I think there's a game in the idea of trying to find ways to operate a far-flung interstellar empire through hands-off methods and working through intermediary layers of authority, but it's definitely not a 4X game.

like a super-Majesty?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ilitarist posted:

There are also towers and equipment you can sink pearls into. Of course those aren't must-have, but the point is if you try to optimize your play that a bunch of cheap scouts are extremely cost effective: you spend one turn in several cities to build them and each winter/twilight they bring pearls/dust, and this complements any playstyle. It would be a more valid choice if you'd have to spend research or dust or something else to unlock pearl building tears beyond the first one. Then not using them would be a valid choice, as if right now not engaging into a pearl/twilight temple busy work is almost always bad choice.

But that's just the thing, the Temple of Auriga might have free unlocks for pearls, but all of those new toys come with a reasonable industry cost if you plan on building them. They're all good; but even given an infinite amount of pearls not every small city can afford to build the buildings, or even have eligible places for the districts. The stockpiles are only a good shortcut if you plan on getting the bigger stockpile upgrades later, the watchtowers compete directly (and are totally incompatible) with normal watchtower techs, and the pearl equipment cost so many pearls that few players can utilize it other than Shifters.

Collecting the pearls every winter is busy work I agree, and the Hypothetical Optimal Man will torture himself to collect every last one, but like... a normal chill player who just grabs the easy & big pearls isn't going to be noticeably behind because he built a (eg) dust building instead of his 4th luxury enhancer.

I think what the other poster said has some truth in it however: Turning on every DLC at the same time is not the way to go. Just pick & choose which ones you like.

Tulip posted:

like a super-Majesty?
I'd buy that.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Endless Space 2: Awakening DLC is out. Hopefully this one is better than Penumbra.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I have it, enjoy it so far. The Nakalim really change the game in an interesting way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

habituallyred posted:

After the End has an interesting take on the idea of a hands off empire, but it is hard to call it a turn-based 4X. At anything above the easiest level your starting civilization choices will force you to be at war with rival groups. The economic layer has an interesting trade off between investing in small scale trade routes that you can monopolize or map spanning pilgrimage routes. Do you settle for a tiny piece of a giant pie or risk unpopular wars for a captive market.

I tried to google this game but can't find anything on it.

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

That's a mod for Crusader Kings II if I recall correctly

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Thom12255 posted:

Did anyone ever finish the Gal Civ 3 Crusade campaign, the SP missions are such a chore I only got up to the part what the Thalan block you from reaching Wardells (Brad named the main character after himself lol) fleet. How does it end? Does the universe explode?

Brad has posted in their forums that he doesn't like the campaign and wants to do without it next time (and IIRC he didn't really want it in the first place). Also, lol at Sulla's take on GC3. I laugh because the gameplay style he said they were moving away from (small maps) turns out to be the way they were moving (they hosed huge map gameplay). I enjoyed GC3 at release, but it had a huge issue with the game crashing late game because of pathing and/or memory issues. NOTHING is worse in a 4x than spending 10+ hours on a map only to have it crash with no explanation and repeatedly crash whenever you load a save game and play through a 20+ minute turn only to keep crashing for reasons you can't prevent or correct or even simply understand.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Mizaq posted:

Also, lol at Sulla's take on GC3. I laugh because the gameplay style he said they were moving away from (small maps) turns out to be the way they were moving (they hosed huge map gameplay). I enjoyed GC3 at release, but it had a huge issue with the game crashing late game because of pathing and/or memory issues. NOTHING is worse in a 4x than spending 10+ hours on a map only to have it crash with no explanation and repeatedly crash whenever you load a save game and play through a 20+ minute turn only to keep crashing for reasons you can't prevent or correct or even simply understand.

It doesn't mean Sullla is wrong, they could move away from small maps and still screw up big maps. Brad is very proud of their x64 engine and always talks about how it allows for huge maps so it's easy to believe he likes big maps and he cannot lie.

Last time I've tried GalCiv3 was last month. I was simultaneously overwhelmed and bored. The biggest difference between release and the current version I've noticed is that planet development is really unique now with a lot of non-generic tiles and planet-unique buildings. But the very essence felt flawed. On a not huge map, every decent planet is a giant asset so you might lose the game in first 30 turns if you send your ships to a wrong dead system and can't get your place under the sun in time. A lot of game mechanics were changed and tooltips do not reflect it: in an earlier version, you had to bring constructor to a space station to upgrade it. Now it's something else. I can't tell you how you upgrade the station, cause when I hover over the "Upgrade" button it's just disabled and it doesn't tell me why. The whole citizen system is also poorly explained in-game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have any tips on Umbral Choir? I'm not sure I get how to play them.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

When you hack unoccupied systems, you can place a sanctuary on a planet you have the colonization tech for (if the system is colonized, you'll need to establish a couple Sleepers first). Each of these count as planets for buildings/techs that say "+X per planet on system" and apply to your home system. Once you start getting population on your sanctuaries, the output of those planets gets concentrated on your home system too. Eventually, your home will have ridiculous output.

The concentrated output of the UC's home system makes building the Wonder victory obelisks pretty easy; the fact that systems with Sanctuaries count as colonized makes the Expansion victory easier (just watch your empire happiness); or you can just build a bunch of ships/behemoths & kill everyone (made easier since you can have any ships you build pop out at a designated sanctuary system when their construction is complete).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's definitely snowballing now. Thanks! I started ages away from anyone else so it took me a while to get any Sleepers going. Now I started embedding them with my ally UE and they're getting annoyed I keep stealing their dudes.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

drat it, got the wires crossed in my head. Actually it is After the Empire. Goatee Games on steam. Read one too many after the end lps I guess.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Flipswitch posted:

Uninstall penumbra. It's irredeemable garbage.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Generic Octopus posted:

When you hack unoccupied systems, you can place a sanctuary on a planet you have the colonization tech for (if the system is colonized, you'll need to establish a couple Sleepers first). Each of these count as planets for buildings/techs that say "+X per planet on system" and apply to your home system. Once you start getting population on your sanctuaries, the output of those planets gets concentrated on your home system too. Eventually, your home will have ridiculous output.

The concentrated output of the UC's home system makes building the Wonder victory obelisks pretty easy; the fact that systems with Sanctuaries count as colonized makes the Expansion victory easier (just watch your empire happiness); or you can just build a bunch of ships/behemoths & kill everyone (made easier since you can have any ships you build pop out at a designated sanctuary system when their construction is complete).

It's cool how this information doesn't appear anywhere in game, or in the manual, or on the official wiki or even the fan wiki.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Amethyst posted:

Uninstall penumbra. It's irredeemable garbage.

It rewards smart play with "not grinding through repeated "Conscription" defenses" which IMHO makes it the #2 best expansion after the music one.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The #1 expansion is the Vaulters one, obviously.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Amethyst posted:

The #1 expansion is the Vaulters one, obviously.
The Hissho expansion would like a word.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I haven't played with Awakening yet so they're not here but my ranking of the DLC, best first

Lost Symphony
Harmonic Memories
Penumbra
Untold Tales
Vaulters
Celestial Worlds
Supremacy

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I got the newest expansion a couple of days ago. After the disappointment of the espionage xpac, this one was a pleasant surprise. Starting with all those extra techs gives a very different arc to the game- I started out beating up enemies and raiding their planets for fun, and then the battles got a little harder, and then I started losing fleets. (Although I'm sure a better player would have zero challenge breaking this faction.)
Anyway, their music and ship design is FABULOUS. And I was wondering why my first faction hero looked kind of weird and stiff, until my next guy came along; I noticed he had a bunch of cuts all along his torso and was holding various organs in jars, and it finally sunk in that my empire didn't "emerge from hibernation"- they were, in fact, all dead and my dudes are basically Egyptian mummies.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I love the Nakalim homeworld is just loving Earth, but no one calls attention to it. They're the human progenitors.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I love the Nakalim homeworld is just loving Earth, but no one calls attention to it. They're the human progenitors.

How did I miss that!? That's messed up.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Tree Bucket posted:

How did I miss that!? That's messed up.

The continents have moved significantly and they're heading towards another supercontinent phase. (I'd guess something roughly like Amasia, North and South America have separated and South America is on a crash course with Africa while NA totters towards Asia)

The Desert classification for the climate is still probs pretty accurate because the interior of the supercontinents is generally thought to have been arid steppe.

e: It was easier to tell when the expac had just come out - the atmosphere was less brown so you could still see the shapes of Earth's old continents more clearly.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 22, 2019

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Wait, is it? that's pretty awesome.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I started a game with the hacking xpac disabled, and was amazed at how much better the game became. No more random announcements about my planets being hacked! No, there's nothing you can do about it, and we won't tell you what the results of this are.
I am missing the cloaked scouts and the ability to speed up sieges, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Not telling you the results of hacking is the kind of thing that sounds fun and thematic in concept but actually just leads to annoying busywork.