Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Oh this is going to be spicy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So does this mean that parliament is back on or is there more that has to happen?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Struggling to figure how this is bad for JC. I'm sure someone can figure it out tho

It gives de Pfeffel a chance to win a vote before he's out on his ear.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Well now I don't know what to think.

Default setting -

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So scots law is indepednent from english law isn't it, so there's no higher court of appeal?

But equally how the gently caress does that even work for jurisdiction over the UK parliament as a whole.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

OwlFancier posted:

So scots law is indepednent from english law isn't it, so there's no higher court of appeal?
nope the gov can appeal to the supreme court

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

coffeetable posted:

it's been referred to the supreme court

I thought that was a separate case?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

But equally how the gently caress does that even work for jurisdiction over the UK parliament as a whole.

Joke answer: only the SNP is allowed to sit, meaning that for the next five weeks the UK will be run by scotland.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I already have to leave my maths books at home lest someone report me for being a supporter of known terror group Al Gebra.

I have several people in my contact list with arabic writing and motifs (like, you know, curved swords and such) on their profiles. Am quietly grateful I don't have to travel to the US any time soon.

They're all very nice progressive people to be clear, not terrists at all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Emergency hearing on the 17th.

Imagine if prorogation is called off. It would be Johnson's most crushing defeat yet.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Emergency hearing on the 17th.

Imagine if prorogation is called off. It would be Johnson's most crushing defeat yet.

lol https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1171712621998989312

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Cool, time for civil war with a renegade parliament.

Who am I kidding, this is probably as meaningless as Boris refusing to disclose the documents today and everyone just kinda sitting around going ... okay so now what do we do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol. like i expect the supreme court to rule in his favour but lol

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Does anyone know or can they link to an article about why this case is different from the other two cases?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I want some sort of Rat Race scenario now where speakers and MPs are all legging it to the House.

To do what I dunno but they'll figure it out on the way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does that mean technically parliament is no longer prorogued until the supreme court decides otherwise?

So like, they can go sit this week?

Like if you get done for a crime don't you still go to prison until you win an appeal?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
btw repeatedly calling johnson "de pfeffel" has identical energy to #theresistance types calling their president "drumpf"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nuclear Spoon posted:

btw repeatedly calling johnson "de pfeffel" has identical energy to #theresistance types calling their president "drumpf"

Unlike Trump it really is his name, though.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Does anyone know or can they link to an article about why this case is different from the other two cases?

I don’t know the ins and outs of exactly how the case itself was different but it will have been considered under Scots Law instead, and parliament has to effectively satisfy both Scots Law and English Law.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Does that mean technically parliament is no longer prorogued until the supreme court decides otherwise?

So like, they can go sit this week?
In Scots Law at least, which does not have jurisdiction over England & Wales, but Parliament has to satisfy both under the Act of Union.

I hope this means that they have to try to get the mace to a building in Scotland to sit lawfully.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Perhaps Boris can appeal to the ECJ to get the decision overturned

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

namesake posted:

I want some sort of Rat Race scenario now where speakers and MPs are all legging it to the House.

To do what I dunno but they'll figure it out on the way.

Race for the Mace

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1171715629323366402

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jedit posted:

Unlike Trump it really is his name, though.

See also Osborne, Gideon "George"

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm sure the 52% of the public who voted in favour of UK courts taking back control of our legal system will be pleased with their victory here

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

In Scots Law at least, which does not have jurisdiction over England & Wales, but Parliament has to satisfy both under the Act of Union.
Would the Tories be stupid enough to fall for "Repeal the Act of Union to get your Brexit"?

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
:torygov:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

I hope this means that they have to try to get the mace to a building in Scotland to sit lawfully.

Just give it to the sergeant-at-arms and point him in the direction of Edinburgh. Nobody's getting it off him.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

radmonger posted:

It’s more that if Labour had a coherent, agreed and sellable Brexit position then a good campaign and high youth turnout might avoid a vote collapse into third place.

Going full-bore pro-Europe would *lose* Labour seats because Remain votes are heavily concentrated in areas that already have Labour majorities. If every single Remain voter voted Labour they would end up with a record popular vote... and 200 seats. Stop pretending your lived experience and preferences are universal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What if the olympic relay but good?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It would be glorious if Parliament sits next week

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

I hope they just bring the Stone of Scone down to Westminster

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Nuclear Spoon posted:

It's a vague attempt to dissociate 'Boris' the lovable scamp media persona exemplified by HIGNFY and media taint licking from 'Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson', our current bumbling if not sinisterly incompetent prime minister.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Flayer posted:

It would be glorious if Parliament sits next week

My kids have been watching the cartoon 3below on Netflix, and I am therefore choosing to believe you said this in Nick Offerman’s voice, including a gleeful accent on “glorious”.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

RockyB posted:

It's a vague attempt to dissociate 'Boris' the lovable scamp media persona exemplified by HIGNFY and media taint licking from 'Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson', our current bumbling if not sinisterly incompetent prime minister.

i mean this is why i just call him johnson

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
So if Bercow and the opposition just bundle back into Parliament and get back to business, would that be kosher?

That'd be maximum lol, but I suppose it doesn't work like that

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i mean this is why i just call him johnson

Same

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 11, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd be happy if everyone just called him Johnson instead of Boris.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Ruh-roh Mister Johnson

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Fuchi posted:

I hope they just bring the Stone of Scone down to Westminster

I was thinking they maybe should do a swap but the idea that the stone projects like a 25m radius of Scotland around it is actually better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

xtothez posted:

I'm sure the 52% of the public who voted in favour of UK courts taking back control of our legal system will be pleased with their victory here

The Scots have always been enemies of the people.