Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1171728144912519168

i have no idea how based in reality this is but it is very very funny

:lol: please let this happen

I want to see Boris in a headlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeihcfYft9w

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Ok, which one of you is Stephen Bush?

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1171733062427848704

EDIT: Suspicious! He deleted the tweet.

It was: "On a serious note, a lot of brainworms going about this morning. No-one in the Palace will have only just clocked that the prorogation was a political move."

mediadave fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 11, 2019

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This isn't correct, the Queen hasn't acted unlawfully. The court has ruled that the PM acted unlawfully in giving false advice to the Queen, which lead to her proroguing Parliament.

ROFLBOT posted:

So surely the Supreme Court must take into account the Scottish ruling and not just issue a carbon-copy smack down as the English court did previously?
The Supreme Court will look at the matter in the round, considering both decisions and both sets of grounds of appeal against the decisions. Basically they will make a new ruling though they may adopt parts or the reasoning and/or conclusions from either of the judgments of the lower courts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Want to see Logovi'i Mulipola do this to him.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Already seeing posts saying this was the queen's master plan all along. 4D chess and all that.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
here's that actual mccluskey quote

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1171734012089573376

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1171726506772631553
https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1171733869537693696

:munch:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Boris is about to put his hands on the car and prepare to die.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Already seeing posts saying this was the queen's master plan all along. 4D chess and all that.
It'd be cool if anyone could become queen by getting to the end of the board.

Or turn into a castle or a horse if they wanted.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tiger Millionaire posted:

It's kind of demented how much of a gently caress some people seem to think she secretly gives. I guess the privacy she enjoys allows that kind of silly speculation.

I think she just agrees to whatever she is advised to agree to as quickly as possible so she can get back to her gin and Bargain Hunt repeats tbh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol
https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1171728762695823360

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1171535732244193280?s=19

Peston looking a bit dribbly round the edges. "Labour are not going to support the position they have consistently said they'll support! I'm making noises so I can keep my 80k+ salary intact!"

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
How does it work with the Supreme Court if what happened is illegal under Scottish law but legal under English law?

This might be a conceptually nonsense question, idk.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Guavanaut posted:

"May got a bad deal, Johnson can't get a deal, and No Deal is disastrous for the country. We will try to get a good deal, because we will drop May's dangerous red lines that stopped the country from getting a good deal." isn't far off the truth.
What would May's red lines be replaced with? The best list of them I could find in 35 seconds' half-assed searching was
  • Take back control of borders, arguing that record levels of migration had “put pressure on public services”
  • No longer be under the jurisdiction of the European court of justice, because “we will not have truly left the European Union if we are not in control of our own laws”
  • “Explicitly rule out membership of the EU’s single market” because that is incompatible with migration controls
  • Not stay in the customs union, but try to strike a separate deal as an “associate member” to make trading as “frictionless as possible”
  • Not be required to “contribute huge sums to the EU budget” but simply pay towards specific programmes
from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/17/prime-minister-vows-to-put-final-brexit-deal-before-parliament.

I don't think any of those except the last are in any way reasonable (or compatible with Labour's goals as I undestand them), and I'm unsure on the last one because I don't understand how EU programs are funded at a technical level. So...has Labour set out what its position be, were a Brexit deal to be renegotiated? If so, where can I read it?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

peanut- posted:

How does it work with the Supreme Court if what happened is illegal under Scottish law but legal under English law?

I ANAL but someone said it has to be legal under both

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Big Keir has said Parliament should start sitting again this afternoon

He told the BBC: "Most people didn't believe Boris Johnson, but for the courts to find he has unlawfully shut down Parliament and that his motive wasn't the one he said it was? That's very powerful.

"I call on him to recall Parliament. Let's get it back open, and sitting this afternoon and tomorrow, so we can debate what happens next and we can debate this judgement."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reminder he was May's chief of staff:

https://twitter.com/GavinBarwell/status/1171732144164618240

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I was looking at Keir on the wiki and he has a >50% majority LMBO

Labour Keir Starmer 41,343 70.1% +17.2%
Conservative Timothy Barnes 10,834 18.4% -3.5%

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Even if the high court overturns this, the headline will have been there for nearly a week....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

The Supreme Court is final on all civil matters in the UK and on criminal matters everywhere but Scotland.

I'm not sure what this constitutional matter falls under but the government has to be seen to obey both the Common Law of E&W and Scots Law to be legitimate.

Superterranean posted:

What would May's red lines be replaced with? The best list of them I could find in 35 seconds' half-assed searching was
  • Take back control of borders, arguing that record levels of migration had “put pressure on public services”
  • No longer be under the jurisdiction of the European court of justice, because “we will not have truly left the European Union if we are not in control of our own laws”
  • “Explicitly rule out membership of the EU’s single market” because that is incompatible with migration controls
  • Not stay in the customs union, but try to strike a separate deal as an “associate member” to make trading as “frictionless as possible”
  • Not be required to “contribute huge sums to the EU budget” but simply pay towards specific programmes
from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/17/prime-minister-vows-to-put-final-brexit-deal-before-parliament.

I don't think any of those except the last are in any way reasonable (or compatible with Labour's goals as I undestand them), and I'm unsure on the last one because I don't understand how EU programs are funded at a technical level. So...has Labour set out what its position be, were a Brexit deal to be renegotiated? If so, where can I read it?
May's red lines are poo poo, you're right that they're not reasonable, and Labour's plan is to ditch them and go for a Norway or Common Market deal and put it to the people.

Something not dissimilar to this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Peston looking a bit dribbly round the edges. "Labour are not going to support the position they have consistently said they'll support! I'm making noises so I can keep my 80k+ salary intact!"

No, this makes sense. Labour seem to have consistently suggested that their ideal scenario is to negotiate a reasonably OK Brexit deal and then put it to a referendum against Remain in which they stay neutral. The whole point is that a referendum is the government asking the public to decide between two options that they are equally happy and able to enact.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Oh, 100+ new posts since this morning let's see what is goin...

:stare:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Bobby Deluxe posted:

lol no way is he only on 80k

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nuclear Spoon posted:

lol no way is he only on 80k

80k+ as in he falls into Labour's proposed top tax bracket

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Arrival chat: I found it pretty boring, but the concept led to a very interesting conversation about philosophy of religion, since it basically introduces viewers to the concept of transcendentalism. The "question" posed at the end that someone mentioned is more of an answer imo: "whether you'd live your life differently" is philosophically absurd from the transcendental perspective, since the tragedy that "will" happen has already happened, simultaneously with everything else that you will ever experience. It's all just life.

PM name chat: "Johnson" is also a word for penis & so is self-evidently the superior choice imo

Law chat: holy loving poo poo. Pretty sure this is the first time in history an argument based on democracy & the rule of law has been accepted, this is a big loving deal. The Supreme Court is the final court of appeal in Scottish law, so it's Scottish law they should be applying here - but since the decision will also bind what happens in the rUK, the outcome could get a bit messy. Anyone know what remedy the Court of Session ordered? No time to check, but bear in mind that 95% of what the non-legal press has to say about law stuff is bullshit.

Other: haven't seen anyone call Tom Watson a oval office for a bit, so just throwing this out there: Tom Watson is a massive loving oval office.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

I was looking at Keir on the wiki and he has a >50% majority LMBO

Labour Keir Starmer 41,343 70.1% +17.2%
Conservative Timothy Barnes 10,834 18.4% -3.5%

I live in his constituency and just vote Green because why the hell not

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wasn't he in her departing honours list as well?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

It'd be cool if anyone could become queen by getting to the end of the board.

Or turn into a castle or a horse if they wanted.

It's 4D chess though so the "end of the board" is the end of time

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

British politics is the best soap opera ever. Just when I think the chaos will die down, suddenly chaos reigns yet again.

So what's likely to happen next? Supreme Court ruling?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

The Supreme Court is the final court of appeal in Scottish law, so it's Scottish law they should be applying here - but since the decision will also bind what happens in the rUK, the outcome could get a bit messy.
For civil matters but not for criminal matters. I assume it is for constitutional matters too?

It's 4D chess though so the "end of the board" is the end of time
Jeremy Corbyn would let me become a horse.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

For civil matters but not for criminal matters. I assume it is for constitutional matters too?
Yep.

e:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So what's likely to happen next? Supreme Court ruling?
Yep.

What happens in the interim largely depends on (a)what the Court of Session ordered, and (b)politics. I'll try to find the time to look at the judgment later but bear in mind most of what anyone's saying about this is likely to be bullshit.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 11, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What will actually happen to Johnson if he doesn’t recall Parliament? I’m assuming nothing. If so this this basically just a PR thing. Not that I don’t appreciate the Tories being humiliated yet again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This will be fun then :grovertoot:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure whether to feel sorry for or happy for the podcast dudes, starting it all in arguably the most batshit time in UK politics in a good two years.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
My sources say the death penalty, for espionage loving with the Scots, being considered for @BorisJohnson. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lmao

https://twitter.com/mister_woodo/status/1171730189337944064?s=21

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thinking of separate legal systems and 4D chess, I'm surprised that Scottish chess has bishops.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Borrovan posted:

Yep.

e:

Yep.

What happens in the interim largely depends on (a)what the Court of Session ordered, and (b)politics. I'll try to find the time to look at the judgment later but bear in mind most of what anyone's saying about this is likely to be bullshit.

This is from the summary, not sure if you've seen it:

"The Court will accordingly make an Order declaring that the Prime Minister’s advice to HM the Queen and the prorogation which followed thereon was unlawful and is thus null and of no effect."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

tfw when u studied classics and definitely understand mythology