Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Borrovan posted:

Will try but I can't actually get on the Court of Session website to access the judgment atm, looks like half the country's trying to access it. hmu if there's anything specific you want to know (bearing in mind I'm an English academic contract lawyer, I only teach a little bit of constitutional law & know gently caress all about Scots law), or I'll try and access it again in a bit & give you a summary.

You should post in the lawyer thread, there's never anyone around when we scratch our heads over powdered wig law. To be fair that's not often. But the less americans the better, as I always say.

poo poo uh: 179 years ago, Great Britain started the first opium war with China, ending in British victory and the treaty of Nanking.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

Is there a chance the UK could break up if the scottish decision is ignored/overruled?

Choas reigns

Directly, no. Increased support for independence? I'd assume so.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash Crimson posted:

It's a reasonable question though

You are a sea lion in a see you jimmy hat and I claim my five pounds

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Was today the day Yellowhammer documents were meant to be released? What's happening with that?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Niric posted:

This is cool and I had no idea! But what is it with modernists and cats?

I think toxoplasmosis is the link there

Jim Davis is the greatest modernist writer of our age

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Nice piece of fish posted:

You should post in the lawyer thread, there's never anyone around when we scratch our heads over powdered wig law. To be fair that's not often. But the less americans the better, as I always say.

fewer

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What’s the timeframe for the supreme court now?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Sanford posted:

Was today the day Yellowhammer documents were meant to be released? What's happening with that?

Government is too busy hiding from citizen arrests to provide the documents. Priorities, you know.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

United Ireland and Scotland?

Gaelic Union?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Maybe Boris' plan is to try and revoke the act of union so parliament only has to be bound by English law.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Almost as Scottish as deep frying your computer.

Cats are sleek, they have style and poise, but they can also be cold, aloof, and unaccommodating. They parasitize on the human child relationship, but even when we know that we want to fuss them. They're a natural match for the modernist aesthetic.

Dogs are postmodernists. Cheeky, cartoonish, self-referential. Do they know what 'sit' means or do they simply associate the sound with the action. Do we know what 'sit' means?

:golfclap:

Pictured, a modernist moggie:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Decision next Tuesday apparently.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Tuesday, but Miller's case has to lose first.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yes. But also in so many ways lesser

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sanford posted:

Boris decided not to follow the law.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is there a technical difference between doing something unlawful and breaking the law? It seems like the second one gets you like a punishment of some kind whereas the first...?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is there a technical difference between doing something unlawful and breaking the law? It seems like the second one gets you like a punishment of some kind whereas the first...?

I ANAL but I think a key difference to normal people breaking laws is that the laws Boris is breaking don't have a "if you don't follow this law you will be thrown in the dungeon for 3-10 years" part.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

:same:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

nah

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I barely even know 'er!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Sanford posted:

the deadline is 11pm

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I thought I'd come up with this, then found other people on the twitters had done it 30+ mins before me

Parliament is Prorogued
Parliament is not Prorogued

This is Schrödinger's parliament.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I can't see how there could be under the basics of English Common Law, one of the key principles is that everything which is not forbidden is allowed, unless there's a law against something you can do it, so to be doing something unlawful you'd have to be breaking the law. (This is muddied a bit by the fact that judges can and do make up laws on the fly if you end up in court, but they shouldn't.)

Not sure about Scots Law but I'm fairly sure that Nicola Sturgeon hasn't overturned the general principle of no crime without a statute.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

PST posted:

I thought I'd come up with this, then found other people on the twitters had done it 30+ mins before me

Parliament is Prorogued

For gently caress's sake, I thought we were taking back control from the Germans.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Guavanaut posted:

(This is muddied a bit by the fact that judges can and do make up laws on the fly if you end up in court, but they shouldn't.)

This is interesting - do you have some examples?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PST posted:

Parliament is Prorogued

And much like the pratchettian version of that thought experiment "bloody furious" is also a possible outcome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

For gently caress's sake, I thought we were taking back control from the Germans.

That's a container I'm not going to open.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Is the distinction something like
Illegal: doing something forbidden by law
Unlawful: doing something not permitted by law

You're not allowed to do that vs you haven't been allowed to do that

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Guavanaut posted:

I can't see how there could be under the basics of English Common Law, one of the key principles is that everything which is not forbidden is allowed, unless there's a law against something you can do it, so to be doing something unlawful you'd have to be breaking the law. (This is muddied a bit by the fact that judges can and do make up laws on the fly if you end up in court, but they shouldn't.)

Parking offences are unlawful, but not criminal.

In the UK there's everything in criminal justice acts (which are illegal), and then everything else which has been proscribed, without being a crime, or limited, etc. (which would be unlawful). This crosses over to civil law back and forth.

Not paying my water bill is unlawful, but not a crime
Not paying my TV License (if I am watching broadcast television) is a crime (because bleurgh)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

This is interesting - do you have some examples?
Borrovan (iirc) had an example from not too long ago relating to publication of pamphlets.

The canonical one is murder, what is and isn't murder isn't decided by any statute but by the precedent of a collective of judicial decisions, but we've decided that's generally working, but this case was a judge doing some sort of rear end-pull rather than something that we all generally go along with.

e: ^^^ Yeah, but to be unlawful there has to be some sort of law pertaining, even if it's not necessarily a crime.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 11, 2019

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp/status/1171750159056801792

here was the last time it was done

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WHEREAS parliament stands prorogued for the next five weeks, and whereas the court has informed me that boris is a loving moron, get your arses back in the building and do something about it, love brenda.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

WHEREAS parliament stands prorogued for the next five weeks, and whereas the court has informed me that boris is a loving moron, get your arses back in the building and do something about it, love brenda.

P.S. stop brexit for one

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think the queen gives a poo poo about brexit but she's probably very much annoyed at boris right now for making her look stupid.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hentai Jihadist posted:

whats watson been up to? i missed it

i assume hes been trying to sabotage the front bench in some way or other, but how?

Jose posted:

Said he'd refuse to let the party have an election before a referendum

And he's hosed it up royally by thinking that 1) Nothing else would happen today and 2) By even losing gently caress centerists over this.

It really is one of those things that makes no sense unless you are trying to get in the papers and even they have forgotten about you today. It's pathetic, self-serving and makes him look fundamentally unserious on Brexit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ratjaculation posted:

United Ireland and Scotland?

Gaelic Union?

Just for the Rangers fans I think it should be the Celtic Union. Pronounced with a hard c but it'll still have them fuming.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't that require Wales and Brittany?

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think the queen gives a poo poo about brexit but she's probably very much annoyed at boris right now for making her look stupid.

Statistically she is probably in favour of brexit as shes rich, white and old.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't that require Wales and Brittany?

And Cornwall, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

Statistically she is probably in favour of brexit as shes rich, white and old.

nah, she is part of the generation that actually went through the war. They loving love the EU as they know what's is meant to be for.