Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Things getting even more complicated re: whether or not the Scottish court actually made an order which is now in force which nullified the prorogation:
https://twitter.com/alistair_sloan/status/1171777394799259648

Borrovan posted:

Not quite. For one, judges are strictly forbidden from inventing new common law offences - so what they tend to do is instead "discover" pre-existing offences (Shaw v DPP is a famous & particularly egregious example). But, more generally, judges aren't supposed to strictly "change" the law at all: when it appears that that's what they're doing, they'll usually claim to be overturning something on the basis that it's not consistent with something else and therefore was never good law to begin with, clarifying an inconsistency, restating what the courts were actually doing the whole time even if they said they were doing something different, or "discovering" something that was actually always the law even if nobody noticed it before

Of course, what they're actually doing is changing the law - and, in cases like Shaw, totally are making it up on the fly. But, the kayfabe is that nuh uh they're just applying or clarifying what the law already was.
If you get a second, what's the authority on this? Your post way back in the thread mentioned Case of Proclamations and you acknowledged that was directed at the Crown not the courts. Would be interested to see an authority stating courts in E&W are prohibited from creating new legal principles, and in particular prohibited from creating new offences. Could it have been in/around the Judicature Acts (1873 & 75)?

e: 181 years ago this month (September 1838), the Anti-Corn Law League was established by Richard Cobden. Eight years later in his resignation speech (having split his Tory party in his successful attempt to repeal the Corn Laws), Tory PM Sir Robert Peel credited Cobden more than any other in the achievement of repealing the Corn Laws.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I don't think the judges have ruled that the Queen acted illegally though. She is the one that shut down parliament.

biglads posted:

I'd really like to think this is true but I suspect it'll just end up in a couple more handwringing op-eds in the Grauniad and little else.

The problem for Liz is that she didn't have to follow his advice if she considered it wrong. The convention is that a PM does not lie to the Monarch and that she does not ignore advice. If he is ruled to have lied, then that is saying she is nothing more than a rubber stamp, which is true, but its the conventions that are in place that uphold an unwritten constitution. You break convention at the peril of casting shade on the whole thing.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 11, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ah, my home town. Famous for carpets, chocolates, John Noakes and head-tumbling death.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

El Grillo posted:

It was Blackstone who made the 'Declaratory Theory' that judges don't make laws but merely 'discover' the law, in the 18th century. In the USA I believe his ideas on this are considered seriously out of date and almost irrelevant, but it seems like the academic debate on judge-made law vs. declaratory theory is still alive here in the UK.
I blame the wigs and gowns.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
During all of the nonsense being suggested by Tories about how Johnson could both ask for an extension, and not ask for an extension, I joked to colleagues about Lord Pannick arguing whether 'take-backsies' was a foundation of British Law.

And apparently it now is.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Collateral posted:

I don't think the judges have ruled that the Queen acted illegally though. She is the one that shut down parliament.
No but they did rule that as a consequence of the unlawfulness of the PM's advice to Queen, the prorogation itself was also null & void.

e: oh boy. Now Miller's legal team has waded in, in support of both the idea that the Order in Council made by the Queen to prorogue parliament is null & void, and also the proposition that the Scottish court's ruling has the effect of quashing the PM's unlawful advice to Queen (& therefore the Queen's prorogation) because no application for a stay was made by the Government and because there is a Supreme Court case (Ahmed) which states that it's enough for a court to declare that something is unlawful for it to be quashed, no separate quashing order is required:
https://twitter.com/thatginamiller/status/1171793471889444864

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 11, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

El Grillo posted:

If you get a second, what's the authority on this? Your post way back in the thread mentioned Case of Proclamations and you acknowledged that was directed at the Crown not the courts. Would be interested to see an authority stating courts in E&W are prohibited from creating new legal principles, and in particular prohibited from creating new offences. Could it have been in/around the Judicature Acts (1873 & 75)?
Not aware of any judicial authority expressly directed at the judiciary, and I would imagine that there isn't one because the courts don't generally go around expressly limiting their own power. Don't forget though that the Crown is the fount of justice and the courts are explicitly just doing poo poo that the monarch is too busy to, so the common jurisprudential argument is that the Case of Proclamations applies. And, like so many things in our constitution, the fact that it's theoretically arguable means that it isn't the done thing to push it.

Don't have any of my public law books close to hand to find a secondary source unfortunately

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Meanwhile No 10 has rejected the idea of an electoral pact with Farage, which is nice of them. Pretty much guarantees they'll be eaten from both sides when the election comes.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

El Grillo posted:

No but they did rule that as a consequence of the unlawfulness of the PM's advice to Queen, the prorogation itself was also null & void.

So what is the Queen in all this, a lever? They are ruling that the Queen is utterly bound to do what a PM says? The point of it being advice is that she doesn't have to take it. I'm not entirely sure people realise just how serious this is.

In all likelihood the supreme court will protect the constitution and the body of the monarch. That Boris has put her and them in this position?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Collateral posted:

So what is the Queen in all this, a lever?
The Sun reckons so :dadjoke:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They'll make it the fault of someone at the Palace who isn't the Queen if they want to find a scapegoat surely

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tsaedje posted:

Meanwhile No 10 has rejected the idea of an electoral pact with Farage, which is nice of them. Pretty much guarantees they'll be eaten from both sides when the election comes.
no loving chance. they’re being demure, this is too obvious to not happen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CoolCab posted:

this is too obvious to not happen.

You say this after the last week?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's tough to imagine the tories putting their egos aside for the good of brexit and doing a pact. Imagine the proud and ancient tory party, standing aside for Nigel Farage. It would be humiliating.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

marktheando posted:

It's tough to imagine the tories putting their egos aside for the good of brexit and doing a pact. Imagine the proud and ancient tory party, standing aside for Nigel Farage. It would be humiliating.

Also a "senior Tory" called Farage a poo poo bastard or words to similar effect.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
So, why don’t y’all have a Constitution?
It makes us all miserable, why not you?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

The Sun reckons so :dadjoke:

:golfclap:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm going to laugh if the Queen ends up saying she was just following orders, as she's cuffed and bundled into a police car

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Slammy posted:

we do have one

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Tsaedje posted:

They'll make it the fault of someone at the Palace who isn't the Queen if they want to find a scapegoat surely
Blame it on the Privy Councillors who brought it to her attention. Rees-Mogg, please report to the Tower of London.

CoolCab posted:

no loving chance. they’re being demure, this is too obvious to not happen.

Farage's offer was "Tories should no-deal Brexit and withdraw from 80 seats where Brexit Party could win". The Tories who want the first part wouldn't agree to the second, and vice-versa.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm going to laugh if the Queen ends up saying she was just following orders, as she's cuffed and bundled into a police car
It is the classic German excuse

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I hope the next time BoJo visits the Queen she unleases her new breed of mutant corgies and rips the blonde hog to pieces.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The Queen can legally kill whoever she wants right?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Flayer posted:

The Queen can legally kill whoever she wants right?
The way things are going, we'll probably find out soon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

Imagine the proud and ancient tory party
I'm really trying, but all I'm getting is a mental image of a bunch of chinless people in white tie standing in a circle playing some kind of game involving wanking on a pig.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

marktheando posted:

Basically this. The Tories who vote Tory because "what I've always done!" Would go freaking bananas

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

marktheando posted:

we do have one

Link plz want to read

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I'm really trying, but all I'm getting is a mental image of a bunch of chinless people in white tie standing in a circle playing some kind of game involving wanking on a pig.

Right, that’s one of their proud and ancient traditions

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

Ah yes just like when No 10 said they were not going to prorogue Parliament and when they said they were not going to call and election.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Link plz want to read

It's very interpretive.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

Pretty much guarantees they'll be eaten from both sides ...

Sounds kinda hot tbh

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Collateral posted:

So what is the Queen in all this, a lever? They are ruling that the Queen is utterly bound to do what a PM says? The point of it being advice is that she doesn't have to take it.

I believe the Scottish chain looks more like this:

PM gives the monarch advice,
AND
The monarch is entitled to exercise powers based on that advice, assuming that said advice is valid and legal in the first place
BUT
If the advice is not valid and legal, it doesn't matter what the monarch then does; any action taken which is based on the faulty advice is null and void.

I don't believe anyone has yet raised the question of what would have happened if she'd said "no, piss off", and whether she's still allowed to do that; it doesn't seem relevant.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

I believe the Scottish chain looks more like this:

PM gives the monarch advice,
AND
The monarch is entitled to exercise powers based on that advice, assuming that said advice is valid and legal in the first place
BUT
If the advice is not valid and legal, it doesn't matter what the monarch then does; any action taken which is based on the faulty advice is null and void.

I don't believe anyone has yet raised the question of what would have happened if she'd said "no, piss off", and whether she's still allowed to do that; it doesn't seem relevant.

I mean, under English Law, she's allowed to. (I'm actually not sure about Scots law here, but let's assume it's fine), it's just that if she actually did it she'd find herself at the forefront of a republican movement moving with purpose.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Trin Tragula posted:

Prior to the fixed term parliament act, actually just way back in the 60s-70s there are a bunch of rumours of times when she took soundings of the privy council because the government wanted to do x, but it was a privy council matter. There've also apparently been times when govt. wanted X but other privy Councillors disagreed and so they got to go away and think about it and do a better job. In fact, as the majority of PC meetings involve either graves or pensions, quite often there's no one from the government even there.

Whether it would have been any different is irrelevant, because Johnson told the press at roughly the same time he told the Palace he wanted to prorogue, so any idea of it being a privy council matter was out the window. Obviously this was a no no and broke with precedence, because of course it did.

So, legally, the Queen could have said 'no' (or more likely 'why are you asking me this, what are you doing, do you really think this is a good idea' (because apparently she likes to ask questions more than disagree) and if as custom says, that's a private discussion under privy council secrecy, the govt shouldn't then be leaking it, but because it was public, her saying no would then become a constitutional crisis.

God job we don't have one of those now.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Slammy posted:

We do but it's unwritten and based on a collective body of legislation, precedent, and unofficial gentlemen's agreements. We decided we couldn't be assed writing it all down in one place (and resolving all the bits that contradict each other) and formally enshrining it in law though because we're all sensible people and we're getting on fine and of course there won't be any future situation in which this system might entirely break down leaving us twisting in the wind.

Lol

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 11, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

sebzilla posted:

Also a "senior Tory" called Farage a poo poo bastard or words to similar effect.

nice garden path there

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Slammy posted:

As marktheando says, we do have a constitution, it’s simply uncodified and held in separate (and sometimes contradictory) documents that have to be interpreted by judges, which makes it different to a codified constitution in that you have to get more books out of the law library

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hi I just read the last 250 pages of the UKMT ama

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

We do but it's unwritten and based on a collective body of legislation, precedent, and unofficial gentlemen's agreements. We decided we couldn't be assed writing it all down in one place and formally enshrining it in law though because we're all sensible people and we're getting on fine and of course there won't be any future situation in which this system might entirely break down leaving us twisting in the wind.

Lol
On one hand, the only countries with uncodified constitutions tend to be bad ones, like Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the UK.

On the other, I don't trust any government we've had in the past 40 years to write one.

Brown's might have been semi-okay, he liked things like that (see The Supreme Court), as long as he was prevented from banning water and mandating that every Sunday be spend glaring at a sock.

Rarity posted:

How'd you manage that on p.181?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Rarity posted:

How long can I store chilled rice in the fridge before it gives me squits/kills me