Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

what a strange card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

So apparently this card might or might not remember whatever x was whenever you clone it because as it stands, this card does not actually function within the current rules framework

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kurtofan posted:

lol come on, it's a loving tower, does everything has to do about 9/11

Yes. Meanwhile, the forever war.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I seriously doubt anybody is actually upset about it. It's just a very awkward coincidence.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elyv posted:

what a strange card

Body is fine for basically a red o-ring type effect that gets better if you have a sac outlet?

Slam in limited for the body alone with thd rest as flavor text, might have a place in constructed with a good sac outlet. Could be part of the food deck with that artifact that cooks creatures?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Sampatrick posted:

So apparently this card might or might not remember whatever x was whenever you clone it because as it stands, this card does not actually function within the current rules framework
Clone effects never copy X in the casting cost though? It won't be on the stack anymore. Unless I'm missing something?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tibalt posted:

Clone effects never copy X in the casting cost though? It won't be on the stack anymore. Unless I'm missing something?

I think this is the first creature where X matters when it gets off the stack, maybe? No, that can't be true or Thorn Elemental wouldn't work.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tibalt posted:

https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/1171856976738803712?s=19

Game is weird and i am not a judge but afaik the reason why hydras and so on don't get cloned with their stuff when they etb is because once they are on the battlefield, they forget about the x. This card has to remember it's x when it etbs or else it won't trigger. Once again, not a judge, so I could be super wrong.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

i think 9/11 and "we forgot" became jokes on june 29,'11 when Transformers: Dark of the Moon (a Hasbro film) had a setpiece (a foot-note of a sequence not even included in the wikipedia plot description of the movie ) be a big robot taking out a glass-faced chicago skyscraper. At that exact moment everyone who contributed to that movie's opening-week box office take of $64,765,34 saw the sequence, realized it had been almost a decade since thousands of people were trapped in a collapsing building, and shrugged at similar imagery being appropriate in an american summer blockbuster. That was the point at which America as a nation got over 9/11.

the scene in question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGlZFJ-fq8

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 11, 2019

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Dragon breath can’t melt darksteel beams!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I feel like this is the one day of spoiler season that it’s not the best card to release. Maybe yesterday and tomorrow included.

Especially being the white pacifism enchantment for the set, it’s not an important card.

Anyone that loses their mind over it is obviously dumb as poo poo and a loving moron looking for attention. But maybe just put that card in the common dump at the end so no one has to hear about this poo poo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurtofan posted:

lol come on, it's a loving tower, does everything has to do about 9/11

Welcome to America.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

axeil posted:

This works as a replacement for the 1/1 for 1 with haste in Red that's rotating out.

It also works in Cavalcade.

Or anything that cares about food.

It's a pretty good card and might actually see some play. And I love the flavor.

please do not eat magic cards

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They shouldn't start calling them food then smdh.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/1171856976738803712?s=19

Game is weird and i am not a judge but afaik the reason why hydras and so on don't get cloned with their stuff when they etb is because once they are on the battlefield, they forget about the x. This card has to remember it's x when it etbs or else it won't trigger. Once again, not a judge, so I could be super wrong.

Hydras don't get cloned because their gimmick is +1/+1 counters which clones don't copy when they come into play- just the text on the card.

Since most Hydras are 0/0 when coming into play and their starting counters is often determined by an X in their casting cost, their clone would instantly die.

I guess it's never really come up before because X usually doesn't resolve as an ETB- either something 'comes into play with' or it resolves when the spell is cast, not after the creature comes down. Weird. I wonder if this is something they want to play more with ETB triggers.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 11, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

Hydras don't get cloned because their gimmick is +1/+1 counters which clones don't copy when they come into play- just the text on the card.

Since most Hydras are 0/0 when coming into play and their starting counters is often determined by an X in their casting cost, their clone would instantly die.

Yes, I understand that, but the reason why hydras don't get cloned with X +1/+1 counters is because X is only referenced on the stack, so that once the card is in play, X becomes 0. Gadwick is not like that; X is actually remembered on the battlefield, or else the triggered ability for Gadwick would not function.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Becobbled Stray
1WG

Becobbled Stray gets +1/+1 and double strike as long as it's equipped.

2/2

Alongside a Swiftfoot Boots reprint, there's your puss in boots.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
catte

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

edit: oh god naughty bog, i just got it

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Man, almost all the food synergies seen so far are weak as hell.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Baller Ina posted:

please do not eat magic cards

I licked my Nintendo Switch cartridges you can't stop me!!! :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They shouldn't start calling them food then smdh.

Exactly.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Just like all mechanics, food is primarily intended to be utilized in limited. There were all of two standard playable cards that used clues and arguably none that used treasure, unless I'm forgetting something

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

hosed up they haven’t spoiled Chalice of The a kid yet. Knights drink out of Chalices all the time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sit on my Facebook posted:

Just like all mechanics, food is primarily intended to be utilized in limited. There were all of two standard playable cards that used clues and arguably none that used treasure, unless I'm forgetting something

Map and big Vraska are all I can think of.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

sit on my Facebook posted:

Map is a cornerstone of many jank decks and I will be sad to see it go.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Kurtofan posted:

edit: oh god naughty bog, i just got it

This is going to be a real problem in Limited, sheesh.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What a complete flavor fail to not allow you to sacrifice all your food to this.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Isn't this an infinite if you name food w. arcane adaption

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Isn't this an infinite if you name food w. arcane adaption

Food isn't a creature type. Gingerbrute is only allowed to have Food on its type line because Food is an artifact type, and Gingerbrute is an artifact.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Put cat in witch's oven, get food. Use food, get cat. Put cat in witch's oven, ...

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

atrus50 posted:

i think 9/11 and "we forgot" became jokes on june 29,'11 when Transformers: Dark of the Moon (a Hasbro film) had a setpiece (a foot-note of a sequence not even included in the wikipedia plot description of the movie ) be a big robot taking out a glass-faced chicago skyscraper. At that exact moment everyone who contributed to that movie's opening-week box office take of $64,765,34 saw the sequence, realized it had been almost a decade since thousands of people were trapped in a collapsing building, and shrugged at similar imagery being appropriate in an american summer blockbuster. That was the point at which America as a nation got over 9/11.

the scene in question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGlZFJ-fq8

There's a scene in the Star Trek DS9 Doc where they are talking about Major Kira, a character who was a former terrorist, and wringing their hands about if that would have been a character they could have had after 9/11. Then they immediately show a scene where a Jem'hadar ship suicide runs into a Galaxy Class ship and I'm like "Kira would have been fine but that specific scene would not!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GSD posted:

Put cat in witch's oven, get food. Use food, get cat. Put cat in witch's oven, ...

you gotta tap the oven, which I guess is emblematic of the time it takes to bake the cat.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

you gotta tap the oven, which I guess is emblematic of the time it takes to bake the cat.

I'm aware. it is just funny to think of the cat leaping out of the pie only to jump straight back into the oven.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shame Voltaic Servant is rotatoes, he would speed up the Cat-food drain engine.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Wanna try this in stompy.

Dinosaur Satan fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 11, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fadam posted:

hosed up they haven’t spoiled Chalice of The a kid yet. Knights drink out of Chalices all the time.

I was gonna make a joke about them reprinting Nether a kid but it's on the reserve list.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1171900947406082048?s=19

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1171900947406082048?s=21
:d2a:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What a dumb non-controversy. Congrats to the flaghumpers out there I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s been 18 years and it’s gonna be ok to joke about in 2, people need to relax