Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

DemoneeHo posted:

Girlfriend (23f) imposing Catholic rules, i(23m)dk whether or not to comply reluctantly. We've been together for almost three years.

Sounds kinda like Christian domestic discipline to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
OK looking up Catholic girlfriend I found this:

[23m] My [22f] girlfriend of 3 years is very child like and I don't think she's ready to be living out of Home or in a adult relationship. I think she may be mentally ill.

quote:

Ugh, were to start.. I have been living with my girlfriend Tina for 2 years and some qualities I noticed in her originally I found quite endearing I'm starting to think is actually a cause for concern. I love her but I feel like she may be very mentally ill.

I am bad at writing so I am just going to dot point stuff.

• She really struggles with her own self care. I mentioned I liked long hair when we met so she has grown her hair long. She struggles to take care of it and just doesn't understand how to care for it. She only washes it once a week because she struggles and it takes a long time for her to manage it. It's straight and up to her shoulders. she finds it difficult to shave, but again she does it for me. But it just seems to be very difficult for her.

• Tina can't handle social situations or read social cues. She will always enter behind me and stand behind me expecting me to do all The talking. If required to talk for her self she will excitingly babble nonsense or not be able to get words out.

• When presented with a stressful situation, confronted or uncomfortable she will break down and cry.

• Tina is terrified of the dark, mirrors and scary noises.. She will literally hide in my chest all night and can't sleep unless I am home.

• she sleeps with a teddy bear that I bought her and literally loves that bear.

• She is over friendly and over trusting. She loves everyone and doesn't understand people will lie to manipulate her. She is a very sweet trusting bubbly girl. She has been hurt by this before, quite badly.

• Tina struggles in general with life things. She gets overwhelmed really easy and hasn't been able to hold down a job.

• Tina is very playful in a child like way and will prance around the house etc.

I love her.. I feel like I haven't covered everything but I am just concerned. And abt shocked that no one has picked up on this sooner. It seems to me that something is very wrong. She seems like she's from a completly other planet. She is very naive And struggles with normal people things that she shouldn't. I am not sure what the next step should be. Should she move back home? I feel like she treats me like a surrogate parent. I can afford to support her but she just bounces around our home waiting for me to get home and struggles with managing to take care of herself. I love her and I'm content and she seems content. But this is no way for her to live.

I have definintly missed stuff please ask questions if you need more clarity. Please help.

Tl;dr girlfriend is really childish and naive. Struggles with life. Wondering if she would be happier at home where her parents can help her.

UPDATE: I have messaged her parents about meeting up for coffee will update more later.

Unfortunately the update was deleted and ceddit and removeddit can't seem to recover it. Judging by the comments, the parents were aware that she had a mental illness and never believed she would function on her own. The mental illness was apparently caused by some pretty severe childhood trauma.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
So Catholic GF wants her husband to make all the decisions in the relationship, and he doesn’t see the easy answer to every other problem in that post*? :crossarms:

*besides the much better :sever: of course

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

cumshitter posted:

OK looking up Catholic girlfriend I found this:

[23m] My [22f] girlfriend of 3 years is very child like and I don't think she's ready to be living out of Home or in a adult relationship. I think she may be mentally ill.

Unfortunately the update was deleted and ceddit and removeddit can't seem to recover it. Judging by the comments, the parents were aware that she had a mental illness and never believed she would function on her own. The mental illness was apparently caused by some pretty severe childhood trauma.

Ugh this is just sad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bamhand posted:

Ugh this is just sad.

Kinda puts an uncomfortable spin on the whole "no sex until marriage, and then minimize the sex necessary to achieve pregnancy" thing don't it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eagerly awaiting the concern racists' pronouncement on whether 'dusty' is dogwhistle or not.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not allowing Chic Fil A in the office?

this isn’t about me but about my boss, didn’t know how to phrase the title lol. it doesn’t really affect me at all but i’ve been having debates about this with my friends so i wanted to see what you guys thought.

i work at the women’s and gender studies office at my university as a secretary. today i received an email from my supervisor that said we weren’t allowed to eat chic-fil-a at the office. there are about ten other girls who work at the office and we all received the email, so nobody was singled out directly. we’re allowed to eat at our desks, so that wasn’t the problem. the exact words were “our program stands for everything they (Chic Fil A) don't and it really upsets (Department Head) to see it in the office. It's your choice whether you eat there or not but it's just not allowed to be in the office.” i get the point, since chic fil a donates to homophobic groups, but is my boss TA for policing what we can eat in the office? it doesn’t really matter to me either way, but something about it’s rubbing me the wrong way.

EDIT: i was not the one who ate it, i have no idea who did + i almost never eat meat so this doesn’t affect me in any way. just thought it was an interesting situation!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not telling a girl her skirt was stuck up?

So this just happened in science class. In science we stand or sit on stools at each table. Anyway a girl a kinda know named “Jane” was in front of my table of four guys.

She comes in late and I notice that her skirt is caught up on her backpack. Basically it’s holding it flipped up with her butt to the world.

Class is about 45min long and the other three guys are basically looking the whole time making comments.

I tell Jane after class and she turns red and gets upset and asks why I didn’t tell her sooner. And accused me of being a perv.

I didn’t tell her earlier Bc I didn’t wanna get in trouble with the teacher.

Aita?

Edit: This teacher is very strict. People get in trouble for asking to borrow a pencil.

If I walked over or spoke to her loud enough to hear chances are I’d have been sent away with a 0 on a quiz. Quizzes are 5% of our grade each. We have 6. It would have immediately dropped me a letter grade.

Last week he sent someone to the office for letting a girl know she was bleeding through her pants. It wasn’t a quiz day though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've always assumed that "catching feelings" started out as an ironic thing, but that over time it became something that people actually feel.

I was friends with my best friend for years before I had any actual romantic feelings, I wasn't secretly pining after him or anything. One day I was super drunk and told him and he freaked out. Anyways, we are gay married now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the exact words were “our program stands for everything they (Chic Fil A) don't

Women's and Gender Studies does what Chic Fil-don't.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Eagerly awaiting the concern racists' pronouncement on whether 'dusty' is dogwhistle or not.

On one hand kudos to white people being vigilant of racist caricatures for once.

On the other hand, sometimes there are six brown chicks on the Internet. What a concept.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My(24F) boyfriend(26M) of two years said he would rather go without dinner than come with me in my car to get food. Has this happened to anyone else?

It is "my job," according to Bf, to get/make/decide dinner every night. (That's another post in itself) I asked tonight if he would please just come with me for the ride, never happens. He said he didn't want to, I said I didn't want to go by myself to get it either, he said "let's just not eat then." This was not a joke. I am very upset about this, is that justified? I know we need to talk about this, but I am curious to know if anyone else experiences this in their relationships?

TL;DR Asked my boyfriend if he would accompany me on a ride to get dinner "my job," he said he would rather go without dinner.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for posting a tribute of my late-girlfriend onto FB who died during the 9/11 attacks?

I lost my late-girlfriend on 9/11 when TWC towers collapsed (she was on the 67th floor). I had no calls or texts from her, all I hope is that her last moments were painless and fearless. This year I suffered a near-death accident. After it, I did a lot of looking back on my life...and having lost family and friends in tragic ways I decided to stop taking things for granted and began cherishing the people I am close with.

So for this year, I posted a tribute for my late-girlfriend onto my FB. It was just 4 pictures (1 of her, 2 of us holding hands/hugging, and 1 of us in her office when she first got hired). I wasn't too over-romantic, but said "I'll always miss you, and you will always be a big part of who I am. I hope you are proud of me."

A few hours later though my wife texted me and was furious. She asked if I loved her or if I wanted to get a divorce. She told me it was slap her in face to post my ex onto my FB. Of course I love my wife more than anything, and my intentions were not to harm her in anyway, so I felt guilty and took down the post. Was I out of line here? I genuinely didn't mean to hurt my wife, I just wanted people to know what a great person my late-GF was.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for posting a tribute of my late-girlfriend onto FB who died during the 9/11 attacks?

I lost my late-girlfriend on 9/11 when TWC towers collapsed (she was on the 67th floor). I had no calls or texts from her, all I hope is that her last moments were painless and fearless. This year I suffered a near-death accident. After it, I did a lot of looking back on my life...and having lost family and friends in tragic ways I decided to stop taking things for granted and began cherishing the people I am close with.

So for this year, I posted a tribute for my late-girlfriend onto my FB. It was just 4 pictures (1 of her, 2 of us holding hands/hugging, and 1 of us in her office when she first got hired). I wasn't too over-romantic, but said "I'll always miss you, and you will always be a big part of who I am. I hope you are proud of me."

A few hours later though my wife texted me and was furious. She asked if I loved her or if I wanted to get a divorce. She told me it was slap her in face to post my ex onto my FB. Of course I love my wife more than anything, and my intentions were not to harm her in anyway, so I felt guilty and took down the post. Was I out of line here? I genuinely didn't mean to hurt my wife, I just wanted people to know what a great person my late-GF was.

into my veeeeiiins

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I want to stop taking things for granted and cherish the people I'm close with. What better way to do that than to proclaim how much I miss my ex girlfriend who's been dead for 18 years?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Someone forgot :(

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

I want to stop taking things for granted and cherish the people I'm close with. What better way to do that than to proclaim how much I miss my ex girlfriend who's been dead for 18 years?

wow someone managed to get this one wrong

incredible

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

You're telling me a facebook post is a tasteful and respectful way to remember our loved ones? After presumably no such previous mentions?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AITA for telling my stepson he isn’t allowed to be in common areas of my home without being fully clothed?

quote:

/u/nudestepsonissue

My stepson is 23, making a LOT of money and decided to move back home with myself and my husband in order to get a head start on saving $$ for a home a few months back.

I was very pleased to have him back as we get on very well and I missed him when he initially moved out. Maybe this is my own fault, but the boy who went off to college was a sensitive quiet individual and the person who he is now is loud, reckless, arrogant, and cocky to live with. He’s changed a lot since college / the short time he was living on his own. He fights with his dad all the time. and only listens to me I believe because I’m pretty much like his mom.

I know he’s young and successful and I know he’ll take time to calm down because he’s riding a high but one of the things that I just can’t get behind is him traipsing around the house practically naked (I’m talking just in his ck’s)

I host many wine and film evenings with my friends, or book club meetings, we do frequent meet ups at my house and at the risk of sounding like a prude, my friends and I are all older women and some of our group are religious and conform to ideas of modesty. I myself don’t think it’s appropriate he wonders around naked.

I spoke to him privately about this and he said that he gets really hot in the house because I always have the heater turned on (true, I guess) and that it’s no big deal especially since my husband does the same. The difference is, my husband won’t wonder past the the lounge where all my friends can see him, and he certainly won’t wonder into the kitchen to get a drink when we are baking etc.

Last night my friends were over again because we were discussing the Halloween party that we are planning and going over decor- this boy came in nearly rear end naked again and my friend Mary told me afterwards that she’ll have to stop coming because it’s uncomfortable to see him wondering around the place like that.

I apologized and offered to stop hosting at my place but it’s convenient for most of us so they said no. I think I’ll have to threaten my stepson with eviction if this keeps up because frankly it’s my house and my rules and if he doesn’t listen he knows where the door is. at the same time, he’s my boy and I don’t know if I’m being overly sensitive because at the end of the day I guess it’s just pants- maybe it’s something normal for young people and I’m too old!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

You're telling me a facebook post is a tasteful and respectful way to remember our loved ones? After presumably no such previous mentions?

what year do you think this is?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

cumshitter posted:

AITA for telling my stepson he isn’t allowed to be in common areas of my home without being fully clothed?

Guess she’ll have to spank his bare bottom to teach him a lesson

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
in actuality I think the husbands position is extremely understandable. he should have worded his post differently, without a picture, or maybe not posted at all. but the way he feels is probably the most healthy way to approach it. getting over things isn’t real, you just incorporate it and continue with life. people don’t get over things really, just build around it mentally and make space for it.

here’s a very nice article that articulates these ideas far better than I can, written from the perspective of a woman who married a widower

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not allowing Chic Fil A in the office?

this isn’t about me but about my boss, didn’t know how to phrase the title lol. it doesn’t really affect me at all but i’ve been having debates about this with my friends so i wanted to see what you guys thought.

i work at the women’s and gender studies office at my university as a secretary. today i received an email from my supervisor that said we weren’t allowed to eat chic-fil-a at the office. there are about ten other girls who work at the office and we all received the email, so nobody was singled out directly. we’re allowed to eat at our desks, so that wasn’t the problem. the exact words were “our program stands for everything they (Chic Fil A) don't and it really upsets (Department Head) to see it in the office. It's your choice whether you eat there or not but it's just not allowed to be in the office.” i get the point, since chic fil a donates to homophobic groups, but is my boss TA for policing what we can eat in the office? it doesn’t really matter to me either way, but something about it’s rubbing me the wrong way.

EDIT: i was not the one who ate it, i have no idea who did + i almost never eat meat so this doesn’t affect me in any way. just thought it was an interesting situation!

Somebody should tell her about Restaurant Brands International.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

OP isn't an rear end in a top hat by any stretch and yeah it's understandable where he's coming from. But lol at making a facebook post with the two of them holding hands and hugging and saying how he'll always miss her. Not to mention that it took his wife completely by surprise.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

He is a dingus for the way he phrased it combined with the hand-holding and hugging pics. But the sentiment behind his tribute is fine.

Is it better to refer to deceased SO's as your late SO or as your ex? Because in one sense, they are technically your ex, but you didnt really break up with them either.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Dazerbeams posted:

OP isn't an rear end in a top hat by any stretch and yeah it's understandable where he's coming from. But lol at making a facebook post with the two of them holding hands and hugging and saying how he'll always miss her. Not to mention that it took his wife completely by surprise.

He posted a picture of somebody who died almost 20 years ago and his wife immediately texted him "do you love me or do you want to get a divorce" about it; I don't think she responded rationally or appropriately either

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

9/11 husband NTA. His wife was being really lovely, actually.

Naked stepson should just wear like board shorts and an A shirt or something, jeez.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Three Olives posted:

I was friends with my best friend for years before I had any actual romantic feelings, I wasn't secretly pining after him or anything. One day I was super drunk and told him and he freaked out. Anyways, we are gay married now.

Blessed.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

what’s wrong with not having sec before marriage

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Edit: sex*

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

goethe.cx posted:

Guess she’ll have to spank his bare bottom to teach him a lesson

Or learn how to spell for the love of god.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Posting tributes like that is really just attention seeking behavior.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Someone please post the story of the lady who waited until marriage only to find out her husband was a slob with a food fetish.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ParserGirl posted:

Posting tributes like that is really just attention seeking behavior.

true but also so extremely common that if you look at Facebook you can't really complain

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

hawowanlawow posted:

true but also so extremely common that if you look at Facebook you can't really complain

i can and i will

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Spouses being jealous of dead people is a thing I have encountered before and it's always stupid.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dazerbeams posted:

Someone please post the story of the lady who waited until marriage only to find out her husband was a slob with a food fetish.

My[26F] husband [30M] of 1.5 months saved ourselves for marriage, discovered he can't make love without incorporating lots of food and I hate it. Help!

quote:

So my husband and I got married about a month and a half ago. We've been together for three years and everything in our relationship has been perfect. Goals and values, religion, he treats me well, the whole nine yards. We're soul mates and we really have had a fairy tale romance. We even saved ourselves for marriage as we're both pretty devoted Christians, not that that's something that's required for all Christians, it was our choice. Saving ourselves for one another for so long has strengthened our bond and been very special for us, so please, don't knock us for that.

So, I'm a normal weight for my height, and he's slightly overweight, probably by thirty or so pounds. However, this has never affected my attraction for him. He's a self described foodie and has always loved eating, to the point where he'll absent-mindedly hum to himself and bounce up and down while he's enjoying a meal. He especially likes to bring snacks into bed with him to eat before going to sleep. None of this ever really bothered me until our wedding night.

I know this is going to sound weird and it's also sort of embarrassing for me to talk about, even in text, so please bear with me. On night of our wedding, he had saved a good portion of our wedding cake along with some garlic mashed potatoes and chicken from the buffet to bring into bed with him. A little excessive even by his standards, but I assumed he was in a celebratory mood. However, when he started getting frisky and engage in "wedding night" style activities, he didn't stop eating. In fact, he encouraged me to share the food with him as he was touching me. Naturally I was really freaked out, so I kind of tried to laugh it off, but he only became more insistent. I really didn't want to disappoint him, despite my not really being into it, so I relented and nibbled on some cake. With that he got even more excited and tried to stuff some more into my mouth, which I sort of dutifully accepted, while he did the same to himself. I won't go into more detail than that, but I will say we did end up consummating our marriage even though it was nothing like I had imagined it to be.

Since then I've felt less than positive about that experience and his increasing stubborn desire to incorporate food into our love life. I sat him down a few weeks ago to talk about it, and he tried to brush it off as no big deal. The problem is he's very private about sex due to our religion. The conversation hasn't been easy for me either but he kind of shuts down when I bring it up. He said that food has always been "a thing for him" I'm assuming sexually, and that it's non-negotiable for him and always going to be a part of our bedroom activities or there will be no bedroom activities. I even stooped to remind him that gluttony was a sin and he then reminded me that we're married now, "for better or for worse."

What do I do? This man has been the love of my life for the past three years, and in every other respect we're perfect for one another. I want to be with him for the rest of my life and start a family together, but I don't know if I can get past this. It's not something that I'm into at all and I feel dirty and wrong when we do it, but I want to be a good wife and please him. I just can't get past feeling as though I've been duped. I love him, I won't and can't leave him over this. Please advise.

TL;DR: Husband and I saved ourselves for marriage, turns out he has a secret food fetish (?) that I was never aware of, unsure of how to move forward as I love him but I don't like food in the bedroom, it makes me feel weird and disgusted.

I was laying in the bed on our wedding night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
When my husband, from the bed, began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise

He ate some mash
He ate some marital mash

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Oh cumshitter, you're a treasure. Won't you be my little gay boy?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

cumshitter posted:

Stepson is trolling for cougar. Has to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I use that story as a warning every time someone wants to wait for sex till marriage. Talk about a horror show. I am so glad I got rid of those stupid Christian purity ideas in my teens or I'd be married to a moron with terrible fetishes.

Re: "naked" son-- well yeah lady and her friends *are* old and out of touch, nudity isn't really frowned upon these days, but it's also an adult living in her house and "don't wear your undies around my friends during events" is pretty drat reasonable. So in short, underwear is a land of contrasts and everyone should experience a naked bike ride once in their life.

E lol if he's trolling for a cougar, old super Christian ladies aren't the right market. Go hunt up a bar like a normal poacher.