Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

Needs more stick-on chrome imo

I have never been more mad at a PO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I've been thinking about picking up a Sportster next spring, so I went for a test ride yesterday on a 1200 Custom. I really liked it other than the forward controls. I was surprised that it almost makes sense not to have a tach - the bike shakes if you're lugging it, gets really smooth (to me) for a bit, then gets buzzy as you run it out. It wouldn't matter if you could see the rpm - it's really obvious if you're running in the right range. Also I don't know if the seat is lower or the bike is much narrower, but it was super easy to walk it back, which I really struggled with on the GL1100. The only problem is that I thought my next bike would have ABS, but those seem super rare. I can get a 2007+ without ABS for half the price of the cheapest 2014+ I can find with it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

I've been thinking about picking up a Sportster next spring, so I went for a test ride yesterday on a 1200 Custom. I really liked it other than the forward controls. I was surprised that it almost makes sense not to have a tach - the bike shakes if you're lugging it, gets really smooth (to me) for a bit, then gets buzzy as you run it out. It wouldn't matter if you could see the rpm - it's really obvious if you're running in the right range. Also I don't know if the seat is lower or the bike is much narrower, but it was super easy to walk it back, which I really struggled with on the GL1100. The only problem is that I thought my next bike would have ABS, but those seem super rare. I can get a 2007+ without ABS for half the price of the cheapest 2014+ I can find with it.

Sportsters are great, but the custom sucks rear end for a number of reasons including but not limited to: wrong size front wheel, terrible ergos, no ground clearance, too much chrome.

Probably the most important thing with sportsters is getting one with a 19" or smaller front wheel, and decent ground clearance. Sporties can really hustle (relatively speaking) if they've got a chunky front wheel with good rubber, the custom's skinny 21" severely limits the bike. A twin brake front end is also a huge plus. It's easy to replace shocks with taller ones to get more height, but switching front wheel sizes is much trickier so best to get the ideal one from the start. The frames and engines are all the same, the ergos are all customizable so the only thing that matters is getting the best front end and a look you like, everything else can be changed.

Wrt: instruments I agree a tacho is pretty pointless; although the top end carries on for longer than you'd expect, you get the same acceleration just using the torque. IMO the best instrument you can put on a Harley is an oil temp or pressure gauge, as the state of the oil tells you everything you need to know about a Harley engine.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
The cast alloys on the older ones are 19", right? I hate the look of the 21" spokes anyway. What I really want out of the custom is the larger fuel tank, I do tour a bit and I don't like the idea of the fuel light coming on every hundred miles with the peanut tank. On the other hand, I might be tempted by an 883 with ABS if it ended up in my price range, unless it's a complete drag in comparison. In that case some of the other versions with the smaller tank might be ok.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 1, 2019

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Test rode 2 more bikes in my quest for a mid/large size adv do it all bike.

2017 Honda Africa twin, with manual trans. This thing was way more awesome than expected. Engine is fun ad actually sounds mean for a Honda. One of the more fun p-twins I’ve ridden. Very comfortable ergonomics, though the 2018 adventure sports seemed more comfortable with a better seat, bar risers, etc. for a fairly big bike the weight seemed quite manageable at low speed and walking/moving the bike around from the ground. Some wind buffeting at speed- a taller windscreen would probably help and is something stock on the adv sports model. Really enjoyed this bike- wish the newer ones had cruise control and a quick shifter and tubeless tires but other than that it seems great. Brakes felt lacking, but not horrible. Good (timeless even?) looking bikes, especially in the red/white/blue. Also wtf Honda why are the horn and indicators swapped on your bike. :toot:

2019 ktm 790 adventure s - local dealer doesn’t have any R’s in stock, and it sounds like they’re hard to find nationwide. This was real fun. The seat seems very firm, and the windscreen wobbles all over. Very light weight feeling. Engine is rad, and the electronics and screen all come together very nice. The left side electronic controls all seemed real easy to use, and lots of good and usable tech on this bike. I think I was running it at too low rpms- I was around 2-3k when I bet it’s happier near 4. Lots of heat from the engine- legs thighs felt it for sure. Prettier and more way exciting to ride than to look at. The bike felt twitchier (in a good way) and more responsive on the road than the Africa twin and F850gs for sure.

Really enjoyed both of these bikes for different reasons, and think I’d be happy with either one. Would love to try out a DCT Honda, and the adventure sports version, and the R version of the KTM. Used Africa twins seem abundant as do new ones with strong dealer incentives. The ktm felt like it would rip off road, and be easier to pickup. The Honda felt like the better commuter with a bit more weight, wind protection and smoothness.

Out of contention is the V-Strom 650/1000, and F850GS/F800gs. Neither bike did much for me. The V-Strom 1k is a great package, but feels a little dated. Still need to test ride a tiger 800 and 1200, and maybe some of the other KTM XX90 bikes. A used 1200 GS or GSA still would work, but I don’t think they’d be nearly as fun offroad as the 790 or AT.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

The cast alloys on the older ones are 19", right? I hate the look of the 21" spokes anyway. What I really want out of the custom is the larger fuel tank, I do tour a bit and I don't like the idea of the fuel light coming on every hundred miles with the peanut tank. On the other hand, I might be tempted by an 883 with ABS if it ended up in my price range, unless it's a complete drag in comparison. In that case some of the other versions with the smaller tank might be ok.

That's right, and the old 'S' model has a 17 or 18, can't remember which, along with adjustable forks that are really quite good.

I don't know what your prior riding experience is but the 883 is perfectly fine around town but tends to feel strained on the open road and is just generally not very powerful across the board. The difference is quite big and noticeable, try one and see.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

The tiger 800 looks and sounds great and is incredibly comfortable on the road.
My trail riding friend has one and bits break off a LOT off-road so be prepared to shell out for new parts. The engine and radiator guards are mandatory.

I found it fun but the clutch is very heavy for slow rocky stuff and it runs very hot if you live somewhere warm (PNW probably fine)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

2017 Honda Africa twin, with manual trans. This thing was way more awesome than expected. Engine is fun ad actually sounds mean for a Honda. One of the more fun p-twins I’ve ridden. Very comfortable ergonomics, though the 2018 adventure sports seemed more comfortable with a better seat, bar risers, etc. for a fairly big bike the weight seemed quite manageable at low speed and walking/moving the bike around from the ground. Some wind buffeting at speed- a taller windscreen would probably help and is something stock on the adv sports model. Really enjoyed this bike- wish the newer ones had cruise control and a quick shifter and tubeless tires but other than that it seems great. Brakes felt lacking, but not horrible. Good (timeless even?) looking bikes, especially in the red/white/blue. Also wtf Honda why are the horn and indicators swapped on your bike. :toot:

2019 ktm 790 adventure s - local dealer doesn’t have any R’s in stock, and it sounds like they’re hard to find nationwide. This was real fun. The seat seems very firm, and the windscreen wobbles all over. Very light weight feeling. Engine is rad, and the electronics and screen all come together very nice. The left side electronic controls all seemed real easy to use, and lots of good and usable tech on this bike. I think I was running it at too low rpms- I was around 2-3k when I bet it’s happier near 4. Lots of heat from the engine- legs thighs felt it for sure. Prettier and more way exciting to ride than to look at. The bike felt twitchier (in a good way) and more responsive on the road than the Africa twin and F850gs for sure.

Really enjoyed both of these bikes for different reasons, and think I’d be happy with either one. Would love to try out a DCT Honda, and the adventure sports version, and the R version of the KTM. Used Africa twins seem abundant as do new ones with strong dealer incentives. The ktm felt like it would rip off road, and be easier to pickup. The Honda felt like the better commuter with a bit more weight, wind protection and smoothness.

Out of contention is the V-Strom 650/1000, and F850GS/F800gs. Neither bike did much for me. The V-Strom 1k is a great package, but feels a little dated. Still need to test ride a tiger 800 and 1200, and maybe some of the other KTM XX90 bikes. A used 1200 GS or GSA still would work, but I don’t think they’d be nearly as fun offroad as the 790 or AT.

highly recommend you check out a used 1290 just cause they’re a hoot to ride even if they aren’t going to be your thing, but you’ll be happy with the AT or the 790 for sure. the regular ATs have some fork issues that the ATASes do not have, but I’m not sure if that’s in all of them, or just the ones that are actually ridden offroad. just something to keep in mind on an expensive purchase with an expensive fix :D

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

right arm posted:

highly recommend you check out a used 1290 just cause they’re a hoot to ride even if they aren’t going to be your thing, but you’ll be happy with the AT or the 790 for sure. the regular ATs have some fork issues that the ATASes do not have, but I’m not sure if that’s in all of them, or just the ones that are actually ridden offroad. just something to keep in mind on an expensive purchase with an expensive fix :D

Shelvocke posted:

The tiger 800 looks and sounds great and is incredibly comfortable on the road.
My trail riding friend has one and bits break off a LOT off-road so be prepared to shell out for new parts. The engine and radiator guards are mandatory.

I found it fun but the clutch is very heavy for slow rocky stuff and it runs very hot if you live somewhere warm (PNW probably fine)

The tigers are supposed to be great on road, but agree on the likely fragility off road. Just figure I should test one for due diligence. The aesthetics don’t do much for me on those bikes, so hopefully the triple makes up for it. The cockpit/positioning felt kind of meh took

Hoping to find a 10/11/1290 to test soon.

I’ve read up on the AT issues- seems like forks on the originals and fuel tank pump/filter crud on the ATAS. For being Honda’s they’re surprisingly complex- the airbox and filter is a pain in the rear end to get to apparently.

The vision quest continues. Anyone looking to buy a WR250R or an R1200R?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Slavvy posted:

That's right, and the old 'S' model has a 17 or 18, can't remember which, along with adjustable forks that are really quite good.

I don't know what your prior riding experience is but the 883 is perfectly fine around town but tends to feel strained on the open road and is just generally not very powerful across the board. The difference is quite big and noticeable, try one and see.

I've been riding for 9 years, but the last 4 on a Ninja 250. I'm kinda hoping now that I'll like the 883 more. I wasn't planning on buying until the spring but I think if I go with an older one I could take advantage of end of season pricing. I might go take a look at this - https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2004-Harley-Davidson-XLH883-5009345698

Or I could do an easy fly and ride for this https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Harley-Davidson-SPORTSTER-883-R-5008830765

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 5, 2019

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I’ve read up on the AT issues- seems like forks on the originals and fuel tank pump/filter crud on the ATAS. For being Honda’s they’re surprisingly complex- the airbox and filter is a pain in the rear end to get to apparently.

Seems to be an issue with all the standard model ATs in regards to forks. My husband and I dismantled the forks right out of the box and lowered it 50mm, no noticable stiction at 10k/mi.
The flipped horn/indicator setup is annoying, as is the DCT. He likes it so *shrug*

They're a miserable bike to work on honestly. But it's a Honda, so eh. The plastics break super easy, so opt for crash bars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

I've been riding for 9 years, but the last 4 on a Ninja 250. I'm kinda hoping now that I'll like the 883 more. I wasn't planning on buying until the spring but I think if I go with an older one I could take advantage of end of season pricing. I might go take a look at this - https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2004-Harley-Davidson-XLH883-5009345698

Or I could do an easy fly and ride for this https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Harley-Davidson-SPORTSTER-883-R-5008830765

The second looks pretty sweet! I'm more partial to the carburetted earlier kind, but the all black engine and perfect seat/color scheme look amazing.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

The second looks pretty sweet! I'm more partial to the carburetted earlier kind, but the all black engine and perfect seat/color scheme look amazing.

Dual front discs on the R models, too. Looks like a minor dent on the side of the tank? My experience on FI Sportsters (just on a demo ride) was that they were really snatchy at low throttle. Nothing that you couldn't get used to and I'm sure it can be tuned out, so I don't think it'd put be off of one. The rubber mounted motors are nice.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Well the local 2004 is sold already. I like the roadster, but between the dented tank and the rust, I'm not willing to fly and ride for it.

This 2005 883L is $3200 - can I put taller shocks on the rear of the Low, or will that totally gently caress up the geometry?

Are the rigid mounts really that much less comfortable? Are parts still interchangeable enough to be easy to find? I didn't realize they're like 75 lbs lighter. I can find clean examples for $2500.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

Well the local 2004 is sold already. I like the roadster, but between the dented tank and the rust, I'm not willing to fly and ride for it.

This 2005 883L is $3200 - can I put taller shocks on the rear of the Low, or will that totally gently caress up the geometry?

Are the rigid mounts really that much less comfortable? Are parts still interchangeable enough to be easy to find? I didn't realize they're like 75 lbs lighter. I can find clean examples for $2500.

You can put tall shocks on a low but you need to match them with longer forks so it's a waste of time.

The difference between the rigid and rubber mount models I found totally negligible, I think the earlier models have a bunch of other stuff that makes them a lot better, not least of which is the butter smooth engine response of a carb. They're also much easier to DIY, have slightly more aftermarket parts coverage and imo more connected feeling to ride.

The only difference rigid mounts make is you can't whack the throttle open at 1200rpm and expect no vibration. With Harleys, every comfort/smoothness thing you read has to be lensed through a fat middle aged man's perspective where every little shake and vibration is a massive unacceptable flaw.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

If you feel the need to upgrade, I think a faired SV650 would be a decent choice for you. I also disagree with Slavvy who has some kind of vendetta against modern Hondas and I think a recent CBR500 or similar would be just fine. Don't go to a steeper lean than your 300 and don't even think about a 600RR or other supersport until you've got at least five times the miles you have right now.

Thanks to you and everyone else for their advice.

I want the lean angle and fairings because I think they are cool. Not considering a supersport at any point, just something with vaguely similar ergos and fairings. As some have pointed out, it's a weird combination to want, which is why I sought out some more suggestions on possible bikes to look at.

The comments regarding this being a period of overconfidence makes sense. I may hang onto the 300 for awhile longer and get some more experience. Didn't realize the SV650 had a fully faired version. I'll use that time to see if I can find one of those to ride, and to see if a CBR650(single)R ever hits the used market.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Seems to be an issue with all the standard model ATs in regards to forks. My husband and I dismantled the forks right out of the box and lowered it 50mm, no noticable stiction at 10k/mi.
The flipped horn/indicator setup is annoying, as is the DCT. He likes it so *shrug*

They're a miserable bike to work on honestly. But it's a Honda, so eh. The plastics break super easy, so opt for crash bars.

Any other thoughts/tips on them? How do you like them and what do you use them for? What other bikes did you consider with it?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Any other thoughts/tips on them? How do you like them and what do you use them for? What other bikes did you consider with it?

Armor is always good. Heavy as it is.
The centerstand is invaluable on that heavy pig of a bike. within the first thousand miles it lost two rear tubes, and a front at highway speed. There's a recall out for the circlip on it, so do that. The Honda factory power outlet is spendy for what you get, and a pain in the rear end to install.

Other than the tubes which I think were a dealer assembly issue, the bike has been troublefree. He tweaked the cage and cracked a spar after high-siding it in riding through a rock garded. No problem, dug out the TIG and stitched it back up once we were home. Without it would have sheared the DCT solenoids off the case.

Use case? ehh 80% macadam, 20% dirt. Primarily firetrails however have sent it through rock gardens and sand. I find it rather easy to ride offroad so long as you keep it moving. Lock the trans in 2 or 3, turn the nannies down or off, and send it. Bring a crane when it takes a nap. It's nearly 600lb after the armor and boxes. Which, these bikes with boxes haul more than a SF apartment can hold. (Don't be that guy that packs his apartment)

He's not much into tinkering with his bike so much as he wants something trouble-free that he can ride and focus on riding. The Honda is perfect for that. 2 years ago the 790 or T7 weren't around yet.
Our last bikes were smaller, and we were kind of doing too much with them. He had a dr650 punched out to 790, I was on a drz400 bored/stroked to 470.

Me? lol. I bought a 15 year old carbureted ktm 950. It suits me well.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Decided to not get a 300CC bike as my first bike.

Thinking of going for either a Suzuki SV650 or a Honda CB650R.

Tell me which one. Leaning towards the Honda.

Or tell me I'm an idiot.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Because?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Or tell me I'm an idiot.

Okay

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Because?

Been learning on 600CC ones at the training centre, and they seem fine to handle and not bonkers, I.e. they don't feel like I'd get myself in trouble with.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Also tell me why I'm an idiot!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Steakandchips posted:

Thinking of going for either a Suzuki SV650 or a Honda CB650R.

Tell me which one. Leaning towards the Honda.

Or tell me I'm an idiot.

you’ll be fine. get the honda

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Been learning on 600CC ones at the training centre, and they seem fine to handle and not bonkers, I.e. they don't feel like I'd get myself in trouble with.

Yeah you'll be fine as you've had actual training i.e. aren't from the US. The SV will be more fun to ride but they're both good bikes.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks guys. To clarify, yes, I am not in the US. I'm in Scotland.

We have to pass the following to get our full motorbike license:

1. CBT (this is a basic safety course, and passing it allows you ride 125CC anywhere without any supervision, with L plates (mandatory) and without a pillion).
2. Theory test.
3. Module 1 (basic manouvering I.e. slalom around cones (if you put your foot down, automatic fail), moving the bike by hand, parking it, emergency stops (if you don't go fast enough and don't stop before the line, automatic fail), figures of 8).
4. Module 2 (ride around for 45 minutes on actual rodes and do what the instructor tells you to do on the headset in the helmet, I.e. things like take 2nd exit on the roundabout (if you don't give oncoming traffic time and room, automatic fail), stop and pull over (if you stop in an inappropriate place, I.e. a double yellow or zig zag line, autofail) and so on.).

I have completed 1 and 2, currently training to pass 3. I am training on a Suzuki 600cc bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks guys. To clarify, yes, I am not in the US. I'm in Scotland.

We have to pass the following to get our full motorbike license:

1. CBT (this is a basic safety course, and passing it allows you ride 125CC anywhere without any supervision, with L plates (mandatory) and without a pillion).
2. Theory test.
3. Module 1 (basic manouvering I.e. slalom around cones (if you put your foot down, automatic fail), moving the bike by hand, parking it, emergency stops (if you don't go fast enough and don't stop before the line, automatic fail), figures of 8).
4. Module 2 (ride around for 45 minutes on actual rodes and do what the instructor tells you to do on the headset in the helmet, I.e. things like take 2nd exit on the roundabout (if you don't give oncoming traffic time and room, automatic fail), stop and pull over (if you stop in an inappropriate place, I.e. a double yellow or zig zag line, autofail) and so on.).

I have completed 1 and 2, currently training to pass 3. I am training on a Suzuki 600cc bike.

I think you will still end up a better rider if you get a 250. However, you'll be totally fine on either of the 650s. Get whichever one makes you happier as that is the purpose of motorcycles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've said it before: cb650 has nothing to offer over an SV while being much heavier and more complicated.

However a small bike is still better to learn on, cc and horsepower aren't the real reason you should learn on something small. Skinny tyres and a slow engine teach you how to actually ride and not just whack the throttle open on the straight parts.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I've said it before: cb650 has nothing to offer over an SV while being much heavier and more complicated.

How is the CB650R more complicated than the SV650?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

How is the CB650R more complicated than the SV650?

Has 4 cylinders vs 2 to begin with

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I know that, thank you though. :)

I am not concerned about how many more cylinders it has really...

How is the CB650R more complicated than the SV650 in a way that affects how you control it?

Does it have more buttons to push, thus making it more complicated to ride?

Does starting it require some arcane procedure with a choke and a kick start, thus making it more complicated to start riding it?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

How is the CB650R more complicated than the SV650 in a way that affects how you control it?

Does starting it require some arcane procedure with a choke and a kick start, thus making it more complicated to start riding it?

I mean if you're paying someone else to wrench on it and have money to burn (and if you're going straight from CBT to DAS without spending any real road time on a 125, I'm going to assume you do) it's moot really isn't it?

If you're making a post like this I think you've already talked yourself into getting whatever you're going to get, and you're only here looking for justification.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I know that, thank you though. :)

I am not concerned about how many more cylinders it has really...

Oh right, no it's just a bike. But complicated = time consuming to work on = more expensive to own.

In terms of riding dynamics it is much heavier, has noticeably worse suspensios and the engine is particularly miserable.

Like I'm not saying they're a bad bike or anything, it's still a Honda at the end of the day. But compared to an SV they are objectively inferior speaking as both a mechanic and a rider.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you've already had to ride around on a 125 for several months I think you can go to a 650 twin without much trouble. You at least have probably developed the muscle memory for shifting and braking and countersteering so you'll just need to get used to the weight and power.

Little bikes are more fun though. My Hawk GT is a 650, and a small one at that, and it's nimble and a blast to ride and more power than I'll ever need forever. My little 350 with the pogo-stick shocks and cable-operated drums has maybe 25 horsepower but it weighs 300lb and has big wide bars to toss it around and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm fairly sure my next bike will be a SV650S, especially given the prices I'm seeing online.

Buuut not yet.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

I mean if you're paying someone else to wrench on it and have money to burn (and if you're going straight from CBT to DAS without spending any real road time on a 125, I'm going to assume you do) it's moot really isn't it?

Indeed, I'd likely not be doing much maintenance on it myself, will take it to the shop to get things done.

Yes, going straight from CBT to DAS.

Money isn't that important, true.

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you're making a post like this I think you've already talked yourself into getting whatever you're going to get, and you're only here looking for justification.

While I'm leaning towards the CB650R rather than the SV650, I am looking for insight into which is more relaxed to sit in, I.e. less bent over. I'd prefer a more upright position.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on the CB650R's optional quick shifter? Very tempted by that, one of the reasons I'm thinking of going with the CB650R rather than the SV650 (and that I think it looks a bit nicer).

Sagebrush posted:

If you've already had to ride around on a 125 for several months I think you can go to a 650 twin without much trouble. You at least have probably developed the muscle memory for shifting and braking and countersteering so you'll just need to get used to the weight and power.

Little bikes are more fun though. My Hawk GT is a 650, and a small one at that, and it's nimble and a blast to ride and more power than I'll ever need forever. My little 350 with the pogo-stick shocks and cable-operated drums has maybe 25 horsepower but it weighs 300lb and has big wide bars to toss it around and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

Aside from the CBT, no, not had any other time on a 125.

Regarding small bikes being fun, even the 125 I had on the CBT was fun, so I'm not disagreeing with you there!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

All this being said, I've yet to test ride any of them, so I might just end up with something else, if one or both of them don't feel as comfortable as something else...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

While I'm leaning towards the CB650R rather than the SV650, I am looking for insight into which is more relaxed to sit in, I.e. less bent over. I'd prefer a more upright position.

Take a look at cycle-ergo to get a rough idea of how any given bike compares for riding position. Getting down to a dealer and throwing a leg over is preferable though, because sometimes something you think you really want just isn't your size and you'll hate it once you're sat on one.

e/ whoops, looks like the Honda is too new to be on there yet! Yeah I guess just go take a seat then. They're both modern standards though, so the riding position should be similar, ie not too crunched up in the legs but with a noticeable amount of forward lean in the torso.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 11, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quick shifter on a cb650 is one of the more tits-on-a-bull things I've seen in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

V-twins in the 650 class, particularly the SV650 have the most wonderful, torquey powerband that is fun, and usable across the rev range, inline fours in the same category, even those tuned for more bottom-end power, are wheezy and gutless at low rpm, then build power sharply from around 6k+, the low weight of the SV really makes it a joy to ride, it will 100% be a better, more fun bike around town.

That being said, if what you want is a lightweight sport-touring motorcycle, the Honda will have more luggage options and whatnot, and it'll be a more practical bike in that respect.

Source: I have owned an SV650, and an FZ6, which is similar to the Honda.