Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched the Voyager episode where the crew gets stuck in a planets atmosphere and witnesses the civilization advance over thousands of years within a few days. The premise and storyline make this my favorite episode of the series, and one of my favorite Star Trek episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1170866766253363200

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Whats the general opinion on Star trek Voyager and Enterprise? I'm almost finished with DS9 and was thinking of watching one of those after I finish up the original series.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I said come in! posted:

Watched the Voyager episode where the crew gets stuck in a planets atmosphere and witnesses the civilization advance over thousands of years within a few days. The premise and storyline make this my favorite episode of the series, and one of my favorite Star Trek episodes.

You should check out "The Dragon's Egg" by Robert L. Forward.

YEP.

You can extrapolate my feelings about blind nationalism from my rant and apply it double to a state flag.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 9, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Whats the general opinion on Star trek Voyager and Enterprise? I'm almost finished with DS9 and was thinking of watching one of those after I finish up the original series.

Not great.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pixeltendo posted:

Both kind of boring with lots of crappy episodes, but both kind of improve in their second half without ever getting especially good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Voyager has some good episodes, but for every one there are like 4-5 bland or bad episodes. It's characters are also not as good as the other series.

Enterprise is a lot of missed opportunities, and it's problems make a lot more sense when you find out that Brannon Braga (the showrunner) was super burned out on Trek and basically sleepwalking through running that show. It picks up a bit in Season 3 and 4 but by then the show's fate was sealed. I think a major problem is that they keep going back to the Temporal Cold War poo poo and it's not very interesting and the ultimate payoff of that whole running plotline for three seasons is dumb.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd say the proportion of truly godawful episodes is about the same in every series. But while you watched DS9 and the default was good, in VOY/ENT the default is forgettable.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pixeltendo posted:

Neither great, nor terrible I guess. My wife just tonight asked me when we're going to watch Enterprise, and I was like, do we really have to? She hasn't seen it though, so maybe... some time... but I'd rather exhaust our other options first.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pixeltendo posted:

Enterprise is super bad, but Voyager at least has good characters. Like others have said though the show has a lot of boring episodes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I said come in! posted:

Voyager at least has good characters.

Yes, technically two means you can pluralize the word "character" but Tuvix is only in one episode so it hardly counts.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Watch TAS.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

The ratio of good to bad episodes in these series is like the ratio of good to bad posts in this thread lately.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Lemniscate Blue posted:
the Texas Flag Pledge

In Texas, school kids also pledge allegiance to the State of Texas. At least I had to, in some grades.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That one state under god thing is a post-9/11 addition. I still had to do the pledge when I was a kid, but that wasn’t part of it.

Texas is the Cardassia of the US, only instead of paranoid, nationalistic, and intelligent we’re just paranoid, nationalistic, and dumb.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My senior year homeroom teacher was also the overdue-for-retirement school librarian who spent her 6 hour taxpayer-funded workdays doing nothing but sitting at her desk listening to Rush Limbaugh and G. Gordon Liddy and whatever other bullshit was on AM talk radio.

She gave me a detention once for not reciting the Pledge of Allegiance but I'm 95% sure was just doing it because she knew it annoyed me, the class's only politically-active student. I unfortunately had to spend a lot of time around her because that year I had like 3 periods of study hall every day.

This was 15 years ago so she might be dead by now. :rip:

Drone fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 9, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Number_6 posted:

Lemniscate Blue posted:
the Texas Flag Pledge

In Texas, school kids also pledge allegiance to the State of Texas. At least I had to, in some grades.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Lol jfc because of course. I hear poo poo like this and sometimes wonder how I can possibly continue to feel optimistic about the future of the human race.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

mossyfisk posted:

Watch TAS.

Yeah this is much better use of less time than either Voyager or Enterprise would demand.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Seems ironic/appropriate at this point to consider the fact that the one use of the N-word in all of Star Trek was, in fact, during an episode that portrayed US racism in a historical setting, and it was even essentially about a Star Trek writer getting fired.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

America bad....but Star Trek...good???

marktheando posted:

Let's all agree on this.

Um...no?

Buncha Kohms ITT

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'll have a raktajino, double strong, double sweet.

At this time of day!?

*puts in a call to Sisko*

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sir Lemming posted:

Seems ironic/appropriate at this point to consider the fact that the one use of the N-word in all of Star Trek was, in fact, during an episode that portrayed US racism in a historical setting, and it was even essentially about a Star Trek writer getting fired.

Abraham Lincoln came close lmao

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FabioClone posted:

Abraham Lincoln came close lmao

No he didn't

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I won't have you disparage space Lincoln, our greatest and onliest space president.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

idolizes the Founders

Victory is life!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mossyfisk posted:

Watch TAS.

TAS is good!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

If this doesn't get you to watch TAS I don't know what will.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It's an edit, though. Lucien shows up on his own sans summoning, what Spock's doing with the pentagram is just levitating his 3-D chess set to prove to McCoy that they're in a region of space where magic is logical.

(Yes, of course I have that episode memorized, I'm posting in the Trek thread!)

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

EvilTaytoMan posted:

i once got yelled at in a biology class for colouring in a frog's eyes the same as it's body the nerd rear end techer did not get the reference also we were weirdly old to be doing this as part of our assessed work i do not think i was taught biology well

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Post rainbow magic Kirk from that same episode

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
TAS isn't just wacky, it's got some great science fiction as well.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

mossyfisk posted:

It reaches greater extremes in general than TOS.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

I said come in! posted:

I love episodes that play with the Prime Directive without someone violating it on purpose. "We accidentally became part of this planet's mythology, how do we handle that" is a really, really good premise and it's done justice.
I also really like that the planet is starting to turn into a torus, since that's actually what would happen if a celestial body was spinning that fast.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mossyfisk posted:

Stop! Listen closely. Do you hear that sound? It's Larry Niven still bitching that he has two versions of "The Soft Weapon" in competition with each other.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Known dork Cody Rhodes did a Voyager-themed entrance at the most recent AEW wrestling show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePVjOhwaRoU

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Minidust posted:

Known dork Cody Rhodes did a Voyager-themed entrance at the most recent AEW wrestling show:

trigger warning: his pooch gets spooked by an ill considered pyrotechnic effect

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Minidust posted:

this is loving great

professional wrestling needs more dumb nerd poo poo

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If the Picard uniforms don't look like that I will be very upset.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A huge, huge thanks to forums user Gau for helping me find a not-lovely gift for my wife's birthday, she was incredibly psyched to receive it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pocket Odo