Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

I thought one of thd "players" put his arm behind the fans?

Yeah there's definitely some kind of depth thing going on there if you look close.

The reason it's in this thread is that it's clearly a big interactive advertisement for AT&T, if y'all hadn't noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also happy terrorisms day everyone, my wife and I got all the way to work wondering why the flags were at half-mast without remembering and then when it clicked I just texted her "oh no we forgot :saddowns:"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

Also happy terrorisms day everyone, my wife and I got all the way to work wondering why the flags were at half-mast without remembering and then when it clicked I just texted her "oh no we forgot :saddowns:"

I only didn't forget this year because I said "don't forget to feed the cats they say they're starving" and the phrase "don't forget" reminded me that I usually forget

Cross posting from the Ohio thread:

These have been going around lately

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Shame Boy posted:

Kids born after :911: start becoming eligible to vote today.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Report them to our hotline and we'll do what, disappear them?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Let's look up what HB6 is

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2019/05/ohio-house-passes-bill-to-bail-out-nuclear-plants-gut-green-energy-mandates.html

quote:

Legislation to gut Ohio’s green-energy mandates and set up customer-funded subsidies to nuclear and coal power plants passed the Ohio House on Wednesday, thanks to key support from several House Democrats.

Coal subsidies :allears:

Yeah those blasted Chinese are always trying to get us to, uh, buy their solar panels I guess?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh man there's TV commercials and a website too lmao

https://ohioansforenergysecurity.com/

The FACTS!!! they have listed are all just some natural gas power plants that got loans kinda-sorta in part from the Bank of China. However that's in addition to like 10 other banks, so maybe it's tactical misdirection and really it's one of the other banks that's trying to take over Ohio, like... *checks*... The Bank of Australia :raise:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Shame Boy posted:

The FACTS!!! they have listed are all just some natural gas power plants that got loans kinda-sorta in part from the Bank of China. However that's in addition to like 10 other banks, so maybe it's tactical misdirection and really it's one of the other banks that's trying to take over Ohio, like... *checks*... The Bank of Australia :raise:

Ah, there is nothing so sublime as the melodic Manchurian didgeridoo.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Pulcinella posted:

Kids born after :911: start becoming eligible to vote today.

We’re only a few months away from the first post 9/11 baby dieing in the war on terror

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

We’re only a few months away from the first post 9/11 baby dieing in the war on terror

I'm p. sure there's already been thousands of those buddy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

9/11 was 18 years ago though so starting today the post-9/11 babies can enlist

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Len posted:

9/11 was 18 years ago though so starting today the post-9/11 babies can enlist

im pretty sure they are referring to the thousands killed between 2001-now, not just ARE TROOPS

(though you can go through basic training and stuff as a minor provided you have parents to give you permission, like it is a trip to the museum with your classmates, so there is a non-zero chance post 9/11 babies have died in uniform in america already)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

im pretty sure they are referring to the thousands killed between 2001-now, not just ARE TROOPS

(though you can go through basic training and stuff as a minor provided you have parents to give you permission, like it is a trip to the museum with your classmates, so there is a non-zero chance post 9/11 babies have died in uniform in america already)

Correct but the can't deploy until they turn 18, so anyone that joined up before turning 18 can now go die in the forever war.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah I'm aware that the poster meant ARE TROOPS and that the poster probably did in fact also know that thousands of young people have died other than ARE TROOPS so I probably didn't need to point it out, I just wanted to make a snide C-SPAM remark :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Eat This Glob posted:

I completely missed that for a good five minutes and then it clicked and it was too late to edit my post

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Shame Boy posted:

I wonder if there was a wave of 9/11 abortions where 9/11 pushed undecided pregnant women over the edge

the hidden victims

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i didnt even realize it was 9/11 today. anyway, went into a chain bookstore for the first time in years, and the whole entry/featured section was entirely russophobia, western decline fearmongering (why dont we win wars anymore???, immigration, chinaphobia), and ww2 worshipping. every single book -- the new arrivals, bestsellers, staff picks. i was shocked, hadn't seen that level of blatant jingoism and warturfing since 9/11 through the first months of iraq

and this was in the uk, not even in the us

also one of the staff picks was Dangerous Hero, need to go back and get a pic of the blurb because the same employee had a pick in the fiction section that was some garbo fantasy that she described as "the most important book since harry potter"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I wonder if there was a wave of 9/11 abortions where 9/11 pushed undecided pregnant women over the edge

the hidden victims

At this point more people have died from cancer and respiratory illnesses from the dust clouds than those who were actually in the towers when they fell.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah I'm aware that the poster meant ARE TROOPS and that the poster probably did in fact also know that thousands of young people have died other than ARE TROOPS so I probably didn't need to point it out, I just wanted to make a snide C-SPAM remark :colbert:

Wait...what?

I better write my congresswoman about this.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

i didnt even realize it was 9/11 today. anyway, went into a chain bookstore for the first time in years, and the whole entry/featured section was entirely russophobia, western decline fearmongering (why dont we win wars anymore???, immigration, chinaphobia), and ww2 worshipping. every single book -- the new arrivals, bestsellers, staff picks. i was shocked, hadn't seen that level of blatant jingoism and warturfing since 9/11 through the first months of iraq

and this was in the uk, not even in the us

Huh weird, I can't imagine why the UK of all places would have any reason to be obsessing over nationalism and fear-mongering right now. Hmm... nope, nothing comes to mind.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
this being the capitalism thread, how long do you think it will take for 2 for 1 deals to start coming out on 9/11? maybe we can move 9/11 to the first Tuesday and make it a four day weekend and a gift giving holiday.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there an Uber for housework yet? I really would rather lay on the couch and give a tweaker $5 to do my dishes than actually do them myself

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

this being the capitalism thread, how long do you think it will take for 2 for 1 deals to start coming out on 9/11? maybe we can move 9/11 to the first Tuesday and make it a four day weekend and a gift giving holiday.

I give it 20 years. That's when kids who were born after 9/11 will start taking control of everything.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

Is there an Uber for housework yet? I really would rather lay on the couch and give a tweaker $5 to do my dishes than actually do them myself

what's wrong with you

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

SplitSoul posted:

There's been a big push against food waste here and many supermarket chains are doing sales on stuff close to expiration now. Used to be a lot of them would dump bleach on it after throwing it out.

I work in produce. Ugly produce and items close to expiration date are by and large donated to local soup kitchens and churches. If you see a store trying to sell that stuff, all it means is that they'd rather get pennies than write off inventory for donation.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Len posted:

https://www.taskrabbit.com/

I'm somewhat surprised it isn't just a bunch of pictures of women's tits with "bedroom cleaning, $250/hour, no butt stuff"

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Schneider Inside Her posted:

We got single payer private health insurance in Australia and it just totally works, even if you're heavily encouraged to get it in order to prop up the ailing Baby Boomers
My fiancee just had an infected tooth removed at an emergency (24/7) dentist on a Friday night. It was expensive, but for us to have private health insurance be worth it, we would need do to that 5 times a year each. The only way we could afford it would be moving further away from work and spending an hour a day extra commuting.

The cheapest private health insurance is over $2k year each and covers almost nothing that we would actually want it for.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Theres also takl, because of course theres more than one: https://www.takl.com/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I work in produce. Ugly produce and items close to expiration date are by and large donated to local soup kitchens and churches. If you see a store trying to sell that stuff, all it means is that they'd rather get pennies than write off inventory for donation.

It's usually* a case of not being able to preserve the cool chain**.

*) At least in normal countries
**) Or whatever the proper English term is

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Sep 11, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

e: beat, didnt realize there was another page

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres also takl, because of course theres more than one: https://www.takl.com/

Task rabbit isn't in my area and this one supposedly does background checks and want me to pay $39 for someone to do a small amount of dishes. That's too rich for my million dollar disrupter idea

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shame Boy posted:

:crossarms: There is no "Bank of Australia" though

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The one time I hired cleaners I made it as clear as I could possibly be before they showed up that I had let my place go entirely for months (brain problems after my dad passed) and was overwhelmed by the fact that it was a fetid goon den where i lived like a burrowing animal amidst trash and too paralyzed to start anywhere and willing to pay to get it fixed. I was incredibly explicit. And still when I got there it was like the dudes thought I was joking with how I initially described it and they increased the estimate a great deal (fine, I was astonished that the scope of the work I'd described had such a low intiial estimate) and just made me feel like complete poo poo in how they acted about it (less fine, I was completely up front about what I needed done and why).

I don't know if there's a special kind of cleaners that deal in actual filth and squallor, from what I can tell most of them seem to be geared for upper middle class people to get their mirrors shined, davenports dusted, and dorknobs polished in otherwise clean house.

Anyway that's my "hiring cleaners" story.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Is there no "services" section of craigslist anymore? Because that used to be the best place to advertise for people who were willing to come to your house and murder you for only a small fee.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

The one time I hired cleaners I made it as clear as I could possibly be before they showed up that I had let my place go entirely for months (brain problems after my dad passed) and was overwhelmed by the fact that it was a fetid goon den where i lived like a burrowing animal amidst trash and too paralyzed to start anywhere and willing to pay to get it fixed. I was incredibly explicit. And still when I got there it was like the dudes thought I was joking with how I initially described it and they increased the estimate a great deal (fine, I was astonished that the scope of the work I'd described had such a low intiial estimate) and just made me feel like complete poo poo in how they acted about it (less fine, I was completely up front about what I needed done and why).

I don't know if there's a special kind of cleaners that deal in actual filth and squallor, from what I can tell most of them seem to be geared for upper middle class people to get their mirrors shined, davenports dusted, and dorknobs polished in otherwise clean house.

Should have called crime scene cleaners.

They would be happy to pick up your moldy pizza pockets instead of brain matter and bone fragments.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Weatherman posted:

:crossarms: There is no "Bank of Australia" though

There is Bank Australia though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alucard posted:

Is there no "services" section of craigslist anymore? Because that used to be the best place to advertise for people who were willing to come to your house and murder you for only a small fee.

But that's not a part of the gig economy or disruptive

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

I believe there are also teams that clean up dwellings after hoarders die.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Spazzle posted:

I believe there are also teams that clean up dwellings after hoarders die.

If I'd only given in and topped myself I could have saved several hundo by making it someone else's problem.

How stupid are we, folks, that we paid for it ourselves?

No pentagon made out of Jack bottles to go with it?