Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Steakandchips posted:

While I'm leaning towards the CB650R rather than the SV650, I am looking for insight into which is more relaxed to sit in, I.e. less bent over. I'd prefer a more upright position.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on the CB650R's optional quick shifter? Very tempted by that, one of the reasons I'm thinking of going with the CB650R rather than the SV650 (and that I think it looks a bit nicer).

As Slavvy said, a quickshifter on a low power bike is wholly for looks. That said, I assume you're tending towards the 650R because you prefer how it looks? (There's really no other reason to choose it over the SV). That's fine and everything but ride both and keep what we've been saying about the SV in mind - think about weight, engine responsiveness, suspension, etc. Try to go for more than just a spin around the block.

Also, while you may be happy paying someone else to do all your servicing now, there's a fair chance that you'll eventually come around to the pleasure of wrenching on your own bikes. SV's are dead easy to work on and extremely well documented online, so there's less of a barrier to entry if you want to do some tinkering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
if I get rid of the goddamn Enfield, what bikes are good for nasty dirt roads and minor off road, but also reasonably comfortable 2-up for tall people? sv400 seems perfect for me solo except i might be kind of hunched over it, and i don't see both of us fitting comfortably

I'd prefer something not much over 400lbs, too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

DR650.

With a seat upgrade.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

DR650.

With a seat upgrade.

Came here to say exactly this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

Indeed, I'd likely not be doing much maintenance on it myself, will take it to the shop to get things done.

Yes, going straight from CBT to DAS.

Money isn't that important, true.

While I'm leaning towards the CB650R rather than the SV650, I am looking for insight into which is more relaxed to sit in, I.e. less bent over. I'd prefer a more upright position.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on the CB650R's optional quick shifter? Very tempted by that, one of the reasons I'm thinking of going with the CB650R rather than the SV650 (and that I think it looks a bit nicer).

Aside from the CBT, no, not had any other time on a 125.

Regarding small bikes being fun, even the 125 I had on the CBT was fun, so I'm not disagreeing with you there!

It seems like you have your mind made up already but the SV650 is the middleweight to beat. Even with its RSU suspension and axial brakes, it’s riding dynamics are fantastic and the engine is one of the greatest of all time. Like up there with the SOHC CB750, CBX, GS1100 and RD350 all time great.

Middleweight I-4’s that aren’t super sports tend to be kinda boring, see also: Yamaha FZ6, the least motorcycle motorcycle to ever motorcycle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tim Raines IRL posted:

if I get rid of the goddamn Enfield, what bikes are good for nasty dirt roads and minor off road, but also reasonably comfortable 2-up for tall people? sv400 seems perfect for me solo except i might be kind of hunched over it, and i don't see both of us fitting comfortably

I'd prefer something not much over 400lbs, too.

DON'T GET AN SV400 it's a worse bike with literally no advantage over the full size model.

SVs kinda suck off road, as do most street bikes.

Literally any 400-650cc dual sport should fit the bill, since you like unreliable European bikes, the FE701 or any of the KTM ADV bikes will do nicely, and still be much more reliable than your Enfield.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Middleweight I-4’s that aren’t super sports tend to be kinda boring, see also: Yamaha FZ6, the least motorcycle motorcycle to ever motorcycle.

It's even boring when you wheelie it! It sure is reliable though, funny Yamaha can make a bike more like a Honda Civic than Honda.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 12, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The FZ6 is a perfectly fine and even excellent in some regards motorcycle. It’s just not fun, at all

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

pretty sure that makes it a bad motorcycle :D

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The FZ6 is a perfectly fine and even excellent in some regards motorcycle. It’s just not fun, at all

FUN!

NO FUN AT ALL!

Seriously not even fun when it's carrying a full set of camping gear and carving up the Pacific Coast Highway.

BUN!

EXACTLY 0.5 UNITS OF FUN!

+2 to fun -10 to practicality -100 to reliability.

okay, maybe the FZ6 is a little fun

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Speaking of SV650s, there is a really good Russian expression: piss in the head. It means having a deliriously bad idea that you are really really invested in.

So... I personally have a weird thing about buying motorcycles specifically new. I buy cars used because I'm not rich or insane, but with motorcycles new ones are affordable and something in my brain just tells me to do it. That way all the messes are my own messes I guess. This is not the bad idea though. I also really like the look of faired bikes, that's just vroom go fast lizard brain thinking, that's also not the bad idea.

I like how the old SV650Fs looked and the fact that everyone has nothing but good things to say about them. But they don't sell em new in the US anymore. So here's the bad idea: is it possible to obtain fairings for the SV650 models that are currently on sale in the US? Like if I take fairings off of the past ones do they bolt on to the new 650? Or is there someone out there making track fairings that I can dremel holes into for turn signals and mirrors and stuff? Is this just an asinine idea at every level?

(It seems like there's kinda slim pickens out there for mid-power faired bikes these days, I guess it's like Ninja 650, CBR650R, and... I guess the Tracer is allegedly faired? Where have all the FZ6Rs gone...)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Those bikes are insanely reliable, they will hit 100,000 miles with basic maintenance and maybe some glue on the stator magnets, seriously my poor neglected, abused 2003 still runs like it's brand new, hit the starter button and it fires right up, all the lovely Suzuki fasteners are even in good shape because I kinda sorta tried to keep water off it some of the time.

Just ignore the piss in your head, stop tilting at windmills, and get a nicely cared for used one, if you like the faired look.

Or get a modern naked with ABS, they look better that way anyways.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The new sv 650 seat is loving awful and should be replaced immediately tho.

Pretty sure it's designed to sterilize the rider.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You guys are now making me lean more towards the SV650 than the CB650R.

Particularly the fact that you lot say the SV is more fun.

Also, it’s way cheaper since there are decent used ones around, ie 3 to 4K for a used SV. Instead of 7K for a new CB (no used ones around).

Thanks guys, I’m feeling good about taking a test ride soon!

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

You guys are now making me lean more towards the SV650 than the CB650R.

Particularly the fact that you lot say the SV is more fun.

Also, it’s way cheaper since there are decent used ones around, ie 3 to 4K for a used SV. Instead of 7K for a new CB (no used ones around).

Thanks guys, I’m feeling good about taking a test ride soon!

Test ride the CB anyway, it looks awesome and Slavvy is a very helpful and knowledgeable hater.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Will do, cheers!

mewse
May 2, 2006

It’s too bad they aren’t making a full fairing version of the sv650 right now. The aftermarket katana fairing looks cool, and those fiberglass race fairings look slick

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Given that I do get a discount on Ducatis --

The scrambler looks like it might be fine for dirt roads and not for actual offroad? What about really, really beat-to-poo poo class-III dirt roads that routinely have small branches and stuff on them or big silt deposits?

Assuming the scrambler isn't what I want in conditions like that, and/or that I eventually want to do light actual offroad, what bikes in Ducati's lineup would meet my needs? I am pretty sure they will all be outside of my price range, but as I will have all winter to think about it, it's worth considering.

I don't care about ever going faster than 90, but I do care about low-end acceleration, and to some extent passing speed (50-60) accel. Ergonomics for a tall rider and tall passenger, as well. The himalayan actually punched all these boxes except for "passing speed accel", but turned out to be even more insanely dangerous and unreliable than I was expecting.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Isn’t Ducati relatively unreliable?

Don’t you want something less prone to falling apart given your Himalayan experience? :)

Maybe something German or Japanese?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Scramblers should be basically fine for reliability, the engine is an old design. The real risk is drops will be expensive and 'light offroad' doesn't mean you wont necessarily take a rock to a case or something else that would be a lovely repair on such a bike.

Honestly you liked the Himalayan which is a heavy, wallowy, fat slow unreliable pig of a bike so you have a TON of options for fat heavy slow pigs that are cheap and reilable

any Suzuki DR or Kawasaki DR knock off, V-strom, honda XR L piggies, etc and the like
If you want modern and scrambly' Yamaha makes one very similar to the Ducati - I forget the moniker but it uses the triple engines that are bulletproof. Find a hearty skid plate and go bananas.

Also it'll run for 100k miles without you ever having to think about it.

Edit: I was thinking about the XSR and apparently they dont have a light-ADV version that I thought they did. Must have dreamt' it. Sorry.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 12, 2019

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Scramblers should be basically fine for reliability, the engine is an old design. The real risk is drops will be expensive and 'light offroad' doesn't mean you wont necessarily take a rock to a case or something else that would be a lovely repair on such a bike.

Honestly you liked the Himalayan which is a heavy, wallowy, fat slow unreliable pig of a bike so you have a TON of options for fat heavy slow pigs that are cheap and reilable

any Suzuki DR or Kawasaki DR knock off, V-strom, honda XR L piggies, etc and the like
If you want modern and scrambly' Yamaha makes one very similar to the Ducati - I forget the moniker but it uses the triple engines that are bulletproof. Find a hearty skid plate and go bananas.

Also it'll run for 100k miles without you ever having to think about it.

Edit: I was thinking about the XSR and apparently they dont have a light-ADV version that I thought they did. Must have dreamt' it. Sorry.

SCR 950? Discontinued I think.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah maybe I conflated that bike with the XSR and thought there was a triple-scrambler

I only lust after dad-bikes and track-bikes these days so HMU thread if you wanna talk about 10 year old superbikes and how to crash them or 21K+ bikes with too many farkles and features. Otherwise I'm straight useless.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Given that I do get a discount on Ducatis --

The scrambler looks like it might be fine for dirt roads and not for actual offroad? What about really, really beat-to-poo poo class-III dirt roads that routinely have small branches and stuff on them or big silt deposits?

Assuming the scrambler isn't what I want in conditions like that, and/or that I eventually want to do light actual offroad, what bikes in Ducati's lineup would meet my needs? I am pretty sure they will all be outside of my price range, but as I will have all winter to think about it, it's worth considering.

I don't care about ever going faster than 90, but I do care about low-end acceleration, and to some extent passing speed (50-60) accel. Ergonomics for a tall rider and tall passenger, as well. The himalayan actually punched all these boxes except for "passing speed accel", but turned out to be even more insanely dangerous and unreliable than I was expecting.

Someone rode a Scrambler Desert Sled around the world so that's something.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

High Protein posted:

Someone rode a Scrambler Desert Sled around the world so that's something.

Ewon McGreggor rode a R1150GS around the world in that awful show, but I don't want a 550lb bike.

Spiffness posted:

Let's pretend that its fat heavy slowness wasn't on the list of reasons I liked the bike, and basically all I want is:

* reliable
* can do lovely class-III roads daily
* can do real offroad a few times a season
* comfortable enough 2-up for ~1-2hr rides on mostly pavement

Is the DR650 consensus still pretty reasonable? I'm definitely not opposed to getting something zippier, and given that I am now looking at next spring that potentially lets me look at stuff that's more expensive. But, I don't really give a poo poo about cosmetics anymore, I just need tall person ergo and reliability.

It should be easy to test drive any common bike here for ergo, like I said, local Ducati dealer has a big inventory of the kind of used bikes people want around here. They also sell Zeros which appeal to me acoustically, but, they're insanely expensive and I think that tech is 5 years out from where I'd want it to be.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What kind of a budget do you think you'll have? Are you looking at new only (financing) or a stack of cash?

There are a lot of bikes that I think fit into that category well but knowing what you are looking to spend is probably the bets way to start swinging in the right direction.

A DR (or any big thumper) is going to tick MOST of those boxes maybe with the exception of 2 up highway cruising comfort. Big pluses in the 'ride it on semi-serious off road' a few times a year and fire road manners. Great, simple commuters who are basically incapable of leaving you stranded.

If you want more two up comfort and freeway manners I'd be thinking bikes like...

Kawi Verseys
V-strom
BMW p-twin ADVers
Africa twin
Triumph XC

All of these can be had new for not too much money or used going back as far as a decade for 'cheap' so should span any budget you have in mind.

Those middle weight ADV bikes are great all' rounders. I don't know if you were drawn to the Scrambler and the Himalaya because of low inseam height but lowering is always an option. If you like that more classic look and Scrambler feel someone else may know that market better than I do.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 12, 2019

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Spiffness posted:

What kind of a budget do you think you'll have? Are you looking at new only (financing) or a stack of cash?
This bike was $5000. I'd say I'd like to keep it under 7, less is better, and used bikes in that price range are also fine.

your other info is appreciated and I will start checking those out. What's a VStrom like off road / on real bad roads? They have a ton of those used and new up the road in all sorts of different options.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'd say the primary separator between nearly all those bikes in light off-road / bad roads is tires. They all have roughly the same clearance and ability to clear mud out of the fenders (poor to OK). ADV bikes where you want to ride mostly pavement are all compromise anyway. The larger front wheels (19"+) are going to handle off road better and have chunkier options than 17" tires but the options have come a long way. A pair of Avon Distanzias and a cool head will get you through just about any road that you wouldn't call a dirt bike trail.

I think find the bike that interests you the most with the engine configuration / style / price you are happy with and then work your way towards better off-road manners with tires and maybe some crash protection.

The rest is mostly in the wrist and between the ears

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Is the DR650 consensus still pretty reasonable?

I was riding my beloved Dr to work this morning thinking about you and how perfect it would be for you, actually. It even has that old world vibe and torquey charm that your Enfield probably had. Go ride one and you'll buy one.

It will even do 2up on the highway comfortably. Just upgrade the seat, do the cheap procycle breath easy kit, and maybe maybe suspension if you are putting heavy people on it. The usual stuff you'll want and have money left over to do.

You may not get a modded up Dr for $750 like me, but they can be had for under 3k easy. Plenty of money left over to make it what you want.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I was riding my beloved Dr to work this morning thinking about you and how perfect it would be for you, actually. It even has that old world vibe and torquey charm that your Enfield probably had. Go ride one and you'll buy one.

It will even do 2up on the highway comfortably. Just upgrade the seat, do the cheap procycle breath easy kit, and maybe maybe suspension if you are putting heavy people on it. The usual stuff you'll want and have money left over to do.

You may not get a modded up Dr for $750 like me, but they can be had for under 3k easy. Plenty of money left over to make it what you want.

:yeah:

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
This thread has me seriously considering an SV650 if I ever buy a street bike. How are they for short (< 30 minute) highway commutes?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BabelFish posted:

This thread has me seriously considering an SV650 if I ever buy a street bike. How are they for short (< 30 minute) highway commutes?

Highway or freeway? You'll get blown around a bit in heavy winds and by passing trucks but as far as comfort and ergos go they are perfect for sub 30 minute rides on back country roads or highways. They're just not ideal for long stretches of slab. If you're doing that you'll want to upsize a bit to a sport tourer.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gorson posted:

Highway or freeway? You'll get blown around a bit in heavy winds and by passing trucks but as far as comfort and ergos go they are perfect for sub 30 minute rides on back country roads or highways. They're just not ideal for long stretches of slab. If you're doing that you'll want to upsize a bit to a sport tourer.

Bigger freeways. My commute to work is about 15 miles (16-40 minutes depending on traffic) of 6-lane freeway. Honestly if the electrics were a little cheaper I'd be looking at a Zero, but they're still about a 5-grand premium.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

they are perfect for sub 30 minute rides on back country roads

Lol you old gently caress

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don't know that I'd say a SV650 is going to get blown around more so than any other bike. After probably a combined 25k miles on SV's I'd say they are perfect for commuting of just about any sort.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
An SV650 is fine on the highway, jesus christ. The one single bike I had issues with on the slab was the 690 and it wasn't a power issue, it was the 2x4 seat and having your entire upper body turned into a sail from the seating position.

If you have windblast issues on the SV just swap the bars to something that gives you a little forward lean, maybe put a fly screen on it and call it a day. There is something to be said for riding a naked bike and getting clean airflow vs. loving with 5 different windscreens trying to get rid of buffeting. The only time I've ever been glad to have fairings is riding in the rain.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I commute about 20 miles each way on a highway in Dallas on a Duke 390. It's all about what you're comfortable with. Hell I've done days where I went from Dallas to Shreveport to Texarkana and back to Dallas, all in one day. The only real issue I had was the plank seat. If you need to build up to it to feel comfy on the highway, then work on it. I used to go out at night past 11PM, just to rip up and down the highway and to get used to the roads and the area.

The SV is a great bike and will get you anywhere you need to go. Just change the things you want to make it best for you, there's nothing wrong with the base platform though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

An SV650 is fine on the highway, jesus christ.

Someone said a day or two ago that all the hardons for Silly Balls’s Goldwing is a sign of the average age of this forum and I think this discussion is just more fuel on that fire.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That Goldwing is sick and I'll hear no word against it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bro chill I have some gray hair, a bad knee, and a kid, the Goldwing is baller as gently caress.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Most of SA is pushing 40 by now aren't they? Even still, I ride my XSR700 on the freeway 200 plus miles all the time without a windscreen or any other fancy poo poo. I can't imagine an SV650 would be that different of an experience and it's a perfectly fine one.

edit- I have to stop for fuel since the tank only gets me ~150 miles or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

An SV650 is fine on the highway, jesus christ.