Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
(assuming a move to subscription based) if they hire an entire dev team, maybe, maybe i would be less skeptical, but going from hiding a server for like 7 years, to opening a server that apparently runs just fine on donations, to transitioning that server to a for-profit operation in less than a year smells imo

also in the event that becoming a ncsoft-licensed server happened, i would like to know what assurances they secure for other emu servers that are up

site fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Don't be afraid to play with the balance. Take the 60% of powersets that aren't the best at anything and just have fun with them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I don't see what we gain by being official, honestly. And the amount of people who apparently really want more incarnates deeply concerns me there's just going to be more of the awful incarnate plot tumour.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spectralent posted:

I don't see what we gain by being official, honestly. And the amount of people who apparently really want more incarnates deeply concerns me there's just going to be more of the awful incarnate plot tumour.

Also not even Paragon had figured out what the remaining Incarnate slots should actually be beyond the names.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't help but worry that Homecoming going "legitimate" is going to change a lot of things in ways I won't like. I have no real basis for this but I just have this creeping dread that things are going to be more restrictive or with a lot of the grind-reducing things stripped away or made into microtransactions.

I suppose there's nothing to do but wait and see.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

i would like my character to have a big big pregnant tummy and for other characters to be able to get into the tummy

Sharable travel power, got it.

Alternate take: You just posted the IRL origin story for my next Everlasting toon: The Kinkshamer.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

site posted:

Keeping it free, with no p2w poo poo

Keeping NC Soft the gently caress out

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

i would like my character to have a big big pregnant tummy and for other characters to be able to get into the tummy

the erotic roleplay community has been ignored for too long. it's time for them to get theirs!

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Looks like another Homecoming patch hit with the usual collection of bug fixes, modernization attempts, and quality of life improvements. But the thing that a lot of people are talking about?
  • Fixed the zone cap in The Hive, The Abyss and the Rikti War Zone to be 50 (this was accidentally changed in May - it should have always been 50).

Looks like no more angry mob stompings of Hamidon or the Mothership Raid.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Hamidon usually died so quick you didnt even need the preventative inspiration to keep from taking damage.
Also maybe Hamios will finally go back up in price. Pretty worthless now after getting flooded.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For the people here who are actively playing: what method are you using to group up? The in-game channels seem pretty dead. Is it mostly through Discord now or am I just on at the wrong times?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The Goonsquad channel has kinda slowed down, when no groups are available there I just hit the looking for groups channel and either bug someone who is looking for more, or just post that i'm looking.
I actually tend to find decent groups more than not.
Not that I dont join a group and walk into the mission to find then all dead quite often.
But pubbie groups in CoH aren't as bad as they used to be. At least on Indom.
I have actually found quite a few that I team up with regularly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looks like Homecoming is experimenting with (sort of) removing the Rage crash: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10041-patch-notes-for-september-10th-2019/

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Looks like Homecoming is experimenting with (sort of) removing the Rage crash: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10041-patch-notes-for-september-10th-2019/

wow thats loving awful

worse than the current crash

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i may as well just loving throw my SS/Fire brute into the goddamn garbage if that goes live. reroll as Rad/Fire or something.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

it's insane how huge of a nerf that is and then u realize how much of a pain in the rear end it will be to sit there and stare at one icon while you're trying to chase prisoners in BAF or whatever because you do no damage without it and you are ruined if you hit rage 1 second too early

just loving turn it into a toggle if you're going to do this you goddamn cowards

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it does seem weird to make it such a harsh punishment that you can stumble into so easily.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The dumbest thing is, if they just want to disallow stacked rage... they can just make it one of those powers that refreshes instead of stacking.

But, also, SS is a really bad set without Rage+Footstomp and I don't get why they're picking on it. Even with it, it's not like it's a freakishly OP set, it's just peers with other Noted Good Sets.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

The dumbest thing is, if they just want to disallow stacked rage... they can just make it one of those powers that refreshes instead of stacking.

But, also, SS is a really bad set without Rage+Footstomp and I don't get why they're picking on it. Even with it, it's not like it's a freakishly OP set, it's just peers with other Noted Good Sets.
I can only assume it it something along the lines of doubling down on "But it's the intended experience" the usual defense of the change I've seen. Even in spite of clearly being willing and able to make changes for QoL/Fun that are not part of the """"Intended Experience""" unless you squint and tilt your head.

Like, their latest beta ideas for tanks. 120 stamina? Raising their damage cap? Cone melee attacks will be bigger? Tanker AoE and Taunt Target Caps getting raised? Well that's sounds AMAZING with zero downsides to any existing playstyle. So clearly, "Original Vision" isn't actually that much of a hindrance, right?

Which does make clinging to rage crashes look all the more odd.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 12, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I blame TonyV. Any game with a Tony seems to have irrational stupid. Marvel Heroes had TonyBing, COH has TonyV.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I AM THE MOON posted:

i may as well just loving throw my SS/Fire brute into the goddamn garbage if that goes live. reroll as Rad/Fire or something.

rad/fire brute fuckin rules just sayin

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

I blame TonyV. Any game with a Tony seems to have irrational stupid. Marvel Heroes had TonyBing, COH has TonyV.

Had. https://massivelyop.com/2019/09/11/tonyv-leaves-the-city-of-heroes-ncsoft-negotiations-turns-over-titan-network-to-homecoming/

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
God dammit, are they going to gently caress this game up with a ton of homebrew changes? Leave my CoX alone!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Brave New World posted:

God dammit, are they going to gently caress this game up with a ton of homebrew changes? Leave my CoX alone!

They're literally described as experimental changes and have been put on the test server for a reason.

I know people are gunshy about this stuff but they're not gonna trample all over the game with weird changes unless people actually want it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the blaster changes are good as hell, so a better world IS possible

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

But also, yes, they are explicitly interested in making changes and have made many already. They will make more. If what you want is to play CoX as it was with no additions or changes, Homecoming probably isn't going to give you that.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

LordSaturn posted:

the blaster changes are good as hell, so a better world IS possible

What did they change with blasters?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looks like the Homecoming team asked TonyV to step away from the NCSoft negotiations, and in the process of doing the Titan Network is basically part of the Homecoming team now, including Paragon Wiki: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13601.msg234531#new

Harrow fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 12, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CascadeBeta posted:

What did they change with blasters?

All blaster secondaries now have a power that increases your recovery and gives you either regen or a small refreshing amount of damage absorb. Basically you're never running dry and are that little bit more survivable.

Also the dual-purpose snipe. Outside combat it's unchanged, but in combat it's got no windup at the cost of a damage penalty that's mitigated by your current +tohit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glazius posted:

All blaster secondaries now have a power that increases your recovery and gives you either regen or a small refreshing amount of damage absorb. Basically you're never running dry and are that little bit more survivable.

Also the dual-purpose snipe. Outside combat it's unchanged, but in combat it's got no windup at the cost of a damage penalty that's mitigated by your current +tohit.

That first one was I24, not Score or Homecoming.

Snipes also had a first draft change in I24 (again, Paragon-developed) where having 22% To-Hit would make them always cast instantly. (This turned into a dumb arms race to make builds that could stack enough permanent To-Hit to always have access to fast snipe.) The new approach, with an accompanying brand new IO set that will let you go back to the old behavior, is much better.

What's totally original are all of the changes to Devices - damage tick on Web Grenade, buffs to Taser, huge improvements to both Trip Mine and Time Bomb, a damage bonus added to Targeting Drone (both a first attack out of combat Build-Up effect and a constant 20%), and Gun Drone now has a taunt effect to it.

See also: A huge sweep of changes to make Dominator secondaries not a total mess.

Harrow posted:

But also, yes, they are explicitly interested in making changes and have made many already. They will make more. If what you want is to play CoX as it was with no additions or changes, Homecoming probably isn't going to give you that.

Yeah at this point it's a little silly to be doom and gloom when Homecoming was built on a foundation of homebrew changes in the first place.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 12, 2019

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Actually, regarding rage, from what I gather making it refresh without a crash was the original plan. Backlash from people just *having* to have it double stacked made them do this.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Someone give me the lowdown on controllers/dominators. I've never played one before because I've always been straightforward damage damage damage focused. They're not really a class you can solo with though, right? What are some good combinations with flavor synergy? Earth/kinetics might be best but it doesn't really jive with me on a "this makes sense for a superhero" level.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
They can solo just fine. It's just... slow. You'll pretty much have everything on lockdown with your snares and whatnot, but your damage is pretty awful.

Dominator's are slightly better in that regard as their secondary is built more towards dealing out damage, but don't expect a whole lot more. Pets also help, but you don't get those until your 30's, so it can be a slog to lvl without a group.

That said, I love Cont/Doms, and they can be a lot of fun and keep mobs indisposed while your team picks them off.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Earth/Sonic is really good in my experience, and can thematically work as 'shaping the earth with vibrations'. Slap the Sonic protections and debuff aura on Rocky, and you've got a nigh-invulnurable pocket tanker.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I have a Dark/Dark Cont with a Squid Ink theme going on. Other than Illusion or playing a MM, it offers probably the most variety of pets and some good support to boot.

Also have an Earth/Earth Dom called Hard Rock Candy with Crystal customization where each ability is a different color "flavor" and she was pretty fun. It gives you a good mix of melee and ranged damage with knockdowns if you're into that.

I have a bunch of others, but I never got them much past 30. But those two are the ones I've played the most.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I've gotten an earth-fire Domi up to Volcanic Gasses and they swing WILDLY between 'Existence is suffering' and 'I AM VOLCANO GOD' depending on the enemies I'm facing and my general mood. They're definitely what I'd call an 'advanced' class.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I have a few Doms and enjoy playing them as pseudo scrappers w/holds once I found out they have the highest Melee damage just under Scrappers.
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Damage#Damage_Scale

My Earth/Earth is very fun and consider it my favorite alt, also have an Elec/Elec which has an energy drain aura that (if it can stand long enough) can take a Wardens endurance so low that they can only stand there and not attack. My Grav/Psi is also quite fun as are my Fire/Ice and Ice/Ice.
I do have a Dark/Rad and Plant/Rad but play them more as Controllers than Scrappers.

Just have to find a way to squeeze in tough, weave, combat jumping and maneuvers to make them sturdy, but then that rule goes with any build.

And who doesnt like pets, Doms also get an added bonus with an Archetype enhancement set that has a chance to spawn 2 fiery orbs per minute which gives me up to 5 pets at a time in battle.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 13, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

They can solo just fine. It's just... slow. You'll pretty much have everything on lockdown with your snares and whatnot, but your damage is pretty awful.

I've had some success with a deliberate solo build that ignored or delayed secondary ally-only buffs in favor of taking attacks from the fighting pool.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CascadeBeta posted:

Earth/kinetics might be best but it doesn't really jive with me on a "this makes sense for a superhero" level.

Clearly you are Unquiet Stone, master of Rising Earth, the storied nemesis to the Sky Fall school that's so popular with the Tsoo these days. If people want to call you a hero for pursuing your rivalry you're not going to stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

Someone give me the lowdown on controllers/dominators. I've never played one before because I've always been straightforward damage damage damage focused. They're not really a class you can solo with though, right? What are some good combinations with flavor synergy? Earth/kinetics might be best but it doesn't really jive with me on a "this makes sense for a superhero" level.
The first thing you need to understand is that Dominators are not "Red Side Controllers". They're more analogous to Blasters, whereas Controllers are more like Defenders with holds. I know that I've brought this up before, but Dominators and Blasters have a unique play style that's radically divergent from how most other classes play. You play them very aggressively, move around a lot and it requires a lot of situational awareness. It's a completely different experience than whatever game it is that Scrappers are playing. A Dominator's defensive powerset is their primary. Once you fully wrap your head around that, you'll understand how to play them.

Illusion is unique to Controllers, and it's extremely powerful. They never proliferated it over to Dominators because it would clearly break the game if they did so. Illusion is that good. Ill/Rad is the Giant Monster killing god, and I can attest to how great Ill/Time is too.

Any Dominator that is */Fire is going to dish out good dps. Plant/Fire is considered the best.

If you do roll a Dom, make sure to skip the low level immobilizes. They pretty much just draw aggro. Just concentrate on the single target hold to start with, and build up the assault side of your build until the other good primary powers are available to you.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I have a Dark/Dark Cont with a Squid Ink theme going on. Other than Illusion or playing a MM, it offers probably the most variety of pets and some good support to boot.

Also have an Earth/Earth Dom called Hard Rock Candy with Crystal customization where each ability is a different color "flavor" and she was pretty fun. It gives you a good mix of melee and ranged damage with knockdowns if you're into that.

I have a bunch of others, but I never got them much past 30. But those two are the ones I've played the most.
What a coincidence! I have an Earth/Earth Dom named Pop Roxx that's also crystal-candy themed! Mine changes 'flavors' via costume/power customization change, announcing the flavor via hotkey. I rolled her the day that Power Customization and Earth Assault were both added to the game. Current flavors include: Mouth-Watering Watermelon, Tantalizing Tropical Punch, Bodacious Baja Blast, and Radical Raspberry!

Earth/Earth takes a long time to get to a good place, but really shines at higher levels. They're very heavy on melee attacks, so they spend even more time in imminent danger than most other Doms do. They also have huge energy issues.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 13, 2019