Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
The Krakenprint fiasco is a legit way a lot of the money could be lost through no fault of hers, but not $80k, jeez. Even if she had paid her last money to Krakenprint for the print run, though, not sure how she was planning on shipping the resulting books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Flavivirus posted:

The Krakenprint fiasco is a legit way a lot of the money could be lost through no fault of hers, but not $80k, jeez. Even if she had paid her last money to Krakenprint for the print run, though, not sure how she was planning on shipping the resulting books.

Yeah, it's a weird situation all around. She told us she gave Kraken about $5,000, and the status of that was up in the air because Kraken said she hadn't paid them at all. And it was doubly strange because since the translation isn't finished, the editing wasn't, and I hadn't even started on layout, we really had no idea what the final page count would look like. We were working off rough estimates from printers because we knew the page count could be a bit bigger or smaller than our initial projections, since English and Japanese take up significantly different amounts of space to say the same things, and we couldn't do the exact same size profile as the original book. Usually you don't settle invoices with a printer until you have final estimates in place.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jedit posted:

Hey guys, do you remember that really truly honestly totally licensed Game of Thrones card game which went to KS a few times? There's been an update.

To be fair, I would totally have picked those two out of any lineup for "Kickstarted a GoT card game".

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

MachineIV posted:

Yeah, it's a weird situation all around. She told us she gave Kraken about $5,000, and the status of that was up in the air because Kraken said she hadn't paid them at all. And it was doubly strange because since the translation isn't finished, the editing wasn't, and I hadn't even started on layout, we really had no idea what the final page count would look like. We were working off rough estimates from printers because we knew the page count could be a bit bigger or smaller than our initial projections, since English and Japanese take up significantly different amounts of space to say the same things, and we couldn't do the exact same size profile as the original book. Usually you don't settle invoices with a printer until you have final estimates in place.

...huh. Yeah, claiming to have paid that money to the printers when you don’t even have the final specs for the book is very strange. I don’t have the information to pick between incompetence or malice, but either way I fear for the fate of the project.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

demota posted:

I'm an editor on Kamigakari. I'm not sure how much I can say right now, but the statements made in the update Noelle posted are missing a lot of context, and that the conclusions drawn are inaccurate, and I expect the project to be fulfilled. Amy's been in the hospital.

I backed this game and whoever posted that "Everything is fine now, we're fine here." post was an absolute moron.

Does the context include something along the lines of, say, all of the money not being gone?

Flavivirus posted:

...huh. Yeah, claiming to have paid that money to the printers when you don’t even have the final specs for the book is very strange. I don’t have the information to pick between incompetence or malice, but either way I fear for the fate of the project.

Yeah, it isn't even text complete, much less layout, etc

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 12, 2019

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Flavivirus posted:

Same. Like, I am 100% sympathetic to mental and physical health issues, since they've caused me a world of trouble in my personal and professional lives. Hell, if she came to us and said, "I'm in a poo poo situation. I need to take like $20,000 out of the campaign funds to restart my life," I know I would have told her to go ahead without hesitation. But I can't in good faith move forward with that work if I have no reason to believe it'd result in a final product and payment as expected. She told us multiple times, unambiguously, that there were zero funds, she spent every last cent, and that she expected to use post-release PDF sales to fund the print run. That was a ton of money, and doesn't even include the post-campaign take from Backerkit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mllaneza posted:

To be fair, I would totally have picked those two out of any lineup for "Kickstarted a GoT card game".

What the heck is "sixth degree larceny" anyway? You tripped over something and it stuck to your shoe?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jedit posted:

What the heck is "sixth degree larceny" anyway? You tripped over something and it stuck to your shoe?

It's roughly just a scale of how much money/value you stole. In CT sixth degree is "petty theft" of up to $500; first degree is $20k+.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

moths posted:

It's in direct response to being asked about the $80k remainder of the KS money.

How am I'm seeing Amy is untrustworthy and lies a lot so everything is probably OK from multiple people?

I'm her best friend. When she gets into a depressive episode she starts lying for the express purpose of self-sabotage and driving other people to think of her the way her depression-addled mind thinks of her. Normally I'm the one who gets to bear the brunt of those but they do spill out every so often to get others involved.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's one hell of a thing to omit from your kickstarter's Risks and Challenges.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't really care about hiding backer only stuff because this is all dumb drama and really deserves to be aired so here's the last three updates:

quote:

[The update is titled "Critical Update! Please read.']

Hello everyone, this is Noelle. If you're not aware, I'm a translator on this project. This update is not going to be a good or happy one, and I'm sorry in advance for having to do it. However, you deserve to know.

In short: Amy Veeres, the person in charge of Serpent Sea Games and the project's boss, has admitted to stealing all of the backers' money.

The following are screenshots I took from the Discord channel in which we discuss business.

Today, Wednesday the 11th, I woke up to a DM from Olivia Hill, who was to be in charge of our layout and book design. Olivia had a similar reaction to me, and was intent on doing what was right. I happily agreed, because in the end the people who are hurt most by this are you, the backers. I want to give you something, even if there's no money to finish it with. I just didn't want to support Amy in any way in doing that (she seems intent on putting out the PDF and recouping the losses—the THEFT—through PDF sales, even though this will not work and I absolutely refuse to help someone who stole from you, in any case).

Olivia sent an email to Amy, asking her to do the right thing and turn the license over to us so we could finish it independently from her. Amy's response was to post a Kickstarter update claiming everything was fine.

I dearly wish this is just a lie. I hope that when Amy reads this, she contacts us and admits to lying and that she did not steal from the backers and that we can finish this project and give you, the backers, what you deserve (and what I've been excited to bring you from day 1!). But sort of the nail in the coffin for me was when Liv shared this last picture with me, dated February 6th, 2019, a few months after the Kickstart campaign ended.

What's going to happen next?

I don't know. It largely depends on what Amy does next. If she's lying, nothing short of a full coming clean, a full apology, and then a full and complete accounting of what the state of the money is right now will satisfy me, personally. And even then I will likely demand she somehow account for the money going forward, such as signing someone else's name onto the bank account so they can monitor the whole thing, or even just transferring all funds over.

If she's not lying, the trick is that she is the sole owner, operator, and employee of Serpent Sea Games, which is what holds the Kamigakari license. If she decides not to give us the license, then there is little we actually can do. If she decides to give us the license, then Olivia and I will do everything we can to give you what you deserve.
What can you do?

Urge Amy to do the right thing. Either she can come clean, or she can give us the license so we can do what we can for you. Those would be the right things.

What you should not do is flame or harass Amy. Please, as a personal favor to me, please refrain from this behavior. Your frustration and anger are completely justified, and you are valid in feeling those things—I'm right there with you! But the internet tends to go a little overboard with these things. I would much rather have earnest pleas for the right thing to be done here than for the situation to get worse with the usual threats. This naturally goes for the rest of the group working on this game, too.

Assuming my access to publish updates isn't somehow revoked, I will try to stay in touch with you and let you know where we're at.

I'm so sorry this happened. It wasn't anything I wanted, for anyone involved.

quote:

[The Update is titled "tl;dr: Things are fine"]

Hi everyone. I'm Grant, an editor on Kamigakari. I'm not exactly a PR guy, but I'll give this my best shot.

This is about that alarming update from Noelle. The short of it is, Amy did not steal the money. The conversations posted are missing context from before and after, and the conclusions Noelle has drawn are inaccurate. Amy and Serpent Sea Games are continuing to work on the game as usual, minus Noelle.

I want to say more, but like I said, I'm not a PR guy, and I don't want to misrepresent anything or accidentally create some unexpected expectation.

Thanks for being with us. We at Serpent Sea are all looking forward to getting this game into your hands and hard drives.

quote:

[The update is titled "Hopefully, Clarification"]
Tonight was pretty dire, but hopefully this will at least show that things aren't nearly as bad as they seem. I know you hear this every time someone gets caught being shady, but it really isn't as bad as it looks.

There was a hiccup with the printing process. That's what I was alluding to earlier, because I didn't want to call them out and create drama. Kraken Print, the printer contracted to make the physical book, went bankrupt and we are in the process of retrieving our deposit from them. Staff have been paid that requested up-front pay, and staff who elected to be paid from the eBook (PDF) sales will be paid when those sales are made. Royalties were paid to Arclight as well. In other words, everyone that should be paid is paid.

While talking to Noelle about the predicament with KrakenPrint, I stuck my foot in my mouth hard and made things sound infinitely worse than they actually are. The book is still going forward. We are continuing work on the book with the remaining team members. I am presently saving up my personal funds in order to hire a replacement layout designer and printer, in that order. The misunderstanding was not cleared up sooner because I had a brief, but serious hospital stay and couldn't contact anyone.

I emphatically and sincerely apologize for the trainwreck tonight turned into, and wish Noelle and Olivia the best on their own pursuits, and I particularly apologize to them for failing to meet the standards of professionalism that they expected of me.

And to you, the backers, I'm sorry that this got so out of hand so quickly. I hope, now that I've explained what's going on, that we can move on and get excited for this book once again. It's coming! You've got my word.

-Amy Veeres

So yeah now Amy is saying everything is fine and the money being MIA is a verbal oopsie and the screenshots were somehow out of context, but I guess the Noelle the translator, and Olivia aren't working the project anymore. Going to assume the money is gone and the project is hosed for now unless a books show up at my mailbox.

Convincing everyone to totally not harass her but also strongly insist she do the right thing is not going to stop being from harassing her at all though.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 12, 2019

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

So yeah now Amy is saying everything is fine and the money being MIA is a verbal oopsie and the screenshots were somehow out of context, but I guess the Noelle the translator, and Olivia aren't working the project anymore. Going to assume the money is gone and the project is hosed for now unless a books show up at my mailbox.

demota posted:

I'm an editor on Kamigakari. I'm not sure how much I can say right now, but the statements made in the update Noelle posted are missing a lot of context, and that the conclusions drawn are inaccurate, and I expect the project to be fulfilled. Amy's been in the hospital.

Demo, it looks like y'all either gave your money to a thief or you gave it to a compulsive liar. Those are the two competing explanations at the moment. It's not a good loving look.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Convincing everyone to totally not harass her but also strongly insist she do the right thing is not going to stop being from harassing her at all though.

Yeah, it's super disappointing. I was really looking forward to it. There's certainly, at the very least, something off about Amy going "DESPAIR DESPAIR WE ARE BROKE" and then going nah everything's fine.

Edit: Apparently Amy has blocked Noelle and Olivia from communicating with her. So... yeah.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 12, 2019

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

S.J. posted:

I backed this game and whoever posted that "Everything is fine now, we're fine here." post was an absolute moron.

Does the context include something along the lines of, say, all of the money not being gone?

Yeah, it isn't even text complete, much less layout, etc

I'm the one that posted that. I literally don't know how much I'm allowed to say. I'm not a PR person. It was late, there were a lot of fires to put out, and I was stressed. I knew what happened to the money, but I wasn't the one with direct access to anything so I didn't want to say anything that I thought might have inaccuracies in the details.

I know I'm an absolute moron. I didn't know that else to do. I'm sorry, everyone.

Edit: removed reference to self harm. That was excessive. Anyone reading this should be aware that any posts quoting this might need a content warning for self harm.

demota fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 12, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

demota posted:

I'm the one that posted that. I literally don't know how much I'm allowed to say. I'm not a PR person. It was late, there were a lot of fires to put out, and I was stressed. I knew what happened to the money, but I wasn't the one with direct access to anything so I didn't want to say anything that I thought might have inaccuracies in the details.

I know I'm an absolute moron. I didn't know that else to do. I'll figure out some appropriate but responsible and safe way to punish myself later.

Nobody wants you to punish yourself but thanks for the creepy emotional manipulation.

Can any of you get a screenshot of the bank account with the remainder of the kickstarter funds? And an accounting of where all the spent money went? And a projection of what still remains to be spent?

Also how much of the text had been translated completely and what's the plan to translate the remainder if the translator has been fired?

And since some magical context exists that makes this not look like the money is gone and "everything is fine" you can provide it now, thanks

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I'm not trying to manipulate anyone. I don't know how I can make things any better in the half hour I have before I go to work. I just woke up and I'm scrambling to get ready and address this at the same time.

I don't have direct access to that information, but the people who do are assembling it. I'm sorry that I don't have this stuff for you. I've barely had any time to handle this. It popped up right when I was trying to get to sleep, and I just woke up.

I don't know what you want to me to do that I'm personally capable of doing. I didn't have a say in any of this. I just wanted to reassure let. I'm sorry.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

demota posted:

I'm not trying to manipulate anyone. I don't know how I can make things any better in the half hour I have before I go to work. I just woke up and I'm scrambling to get ready and address this at the same time.

I don't have direct access to that information, but the people who do are assembling it. I'm sorry that I don't have this stuff for you. I've barely had any time to handle this. It popped up right when I was trying to get to sleep, and I just woke up.

I don't know what you want to me to do that I'm personally capable of doing. I didn't have a say in any of this. I just wanted to reassure let. I'm sorry.

Stop talking then

E- to be clear here you are clearly not doing great and I get it sucks you feel put on the spot by the situation but you're not in a position to control anything and that is fine too

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 12, 2019

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Had a couple of people reach out to me because of all this.

https://imgur.com/PwN2pqG

https://imgur.com/nT1RfpA

Just to clarify, I have zero interest in a "translation company." This morning I talked with Noelle for the first time I think ever outside of a passing comment or two about her translation work, since we were both blocked for asking where the money went. Noelle and I chatted for a bit, and agreed that I'd reach out to Amy and request that she let us manage the license since every single thing she's told us said that she had spent every last cent so there was no way the game would happen. It was a damned shame, because due to the success of Kamigakari, Amy was given the license for other games, so there was a real potential there to do some fun projects.

Frankly, Noelle had completed a full translation years ago, and has done a ton of work on the current iteration. It wouldn't be particularly hard to take her existing work and turn it into a final product without her.

That first series of screenshots is from July 28th. So well over a month ago. Right around the time Noelle started asking questions about how the development was going to progress, because things were getting suspiciously quiet and any engagement with Amy was getting very strange.

Anyway, now it's to the point where she's making poo poo up to cause me harm. So, here.

MachineIV fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 12, 2019

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
You've worked with Amy long enough to know precisely why she said those things and what she was aiming for given her state of mind at the time.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Rubix Squid posted:

You've worked with Amy long enough to know precisely why she said those things and what she was aiming for given her state of mind at the time.

I honestly don't care. She's trying to hurt me. Last week, she lied to me in order to try to burn one of my closest friendships.

I get that she has problems. I have problems. But her problems are manifesting by attacking me, completely inconsiderate to my problems. Problems she's worked with me long enough to know about. That's right around the time I stop being sympathetic. I have gone out of my way both personally and professionally to bat for her on numerous occasions over the years. I've given her chance after chance. I've been burned more than a couple of times. Now she's decided that I get to be her target, and I'm not going to allow it.

If you want to be a friend in her corner, tell her to back off and get help. I absolutely know that she has said that she lies and manipulates circumstances to intentionally make people hate her. I get that. Getting that doesn't make me okay with it. I don't hate her. I won't hate her. But I need her to stop.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
god drat she bought a $2k gaming rig with the money meant to pay employees with, that’s some real rear end in a top hat poo poo

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rubix Squid posted:

Yes you've mentioned the pathological self-destructive lying. Can you check in on her and ask for honest documentation of the kickstarter funds since she is evidently in a truthful swing about how stuff is fine? Because every bit of documentation so far looks more like a dumpster fire.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Rubix Squid posted:

And maybe that's fine and dandy for like not doing the dishes or canceling plans, but holy poo poo that straight up doesn't cut it when you're involved in a business/creative project that people have spent money on.

Stop excusing this behavior.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yes you've mentioned the pathological self-destructive lying. Can you check in on her and ask for honest documentation of the kickstarter funds since she is evidently in a truthful swing about how stuff is fine? Because every bit of documentation so far looks more like a dumpster fire.

That is what they are currently working on.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Rubix Squid posted:

As others have said, "What did you expect from working with her, she's a compulsive liar and you can't trust what she says" isn't the ironclad defence you might think it is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SunAndSpring posted:

god drat she bought a $2k gaming rig with the money meant to pay employees with, that’s some real rear end in a top hat poo poo

So basically Kickstarter money became her money? (Like past getting a salary from it.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rubix Squid posted:

That is what they are currently working on.

Do you have an ETA on when that'll be available?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
She only just woke up in the past half hour so unfortunately not.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Then you're not really doing anything worthwhile here besides perpetuating a bad public slapfight and should probably take a mental health breather with demota

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yikes, glad I dodged this bullet. I considered backing, then just decided to pick up the pdf if reviews were favorable.

Mental health stuff is awful, and certainly can get you a lot of leeway if you are upfront and honest about the situation. However at the end of the day, this is about running a business. Losing a lot of key people and allegedly all the money is the worst of looks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If someone asks you "where did the money go and where does it need to go in the future?" and you have to "get it together" you're not even doing basic accounting correctly.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm also seeing reports that Veeres is in the IGDN Discord trying to call for the whistle-blowers, or alleged whistle-blowers, to be blacklisted. Does anybody have any details on this?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm also seeing reports that Veeres is in the IGDN Discord trying to call for the whistle-blowers, or alleged whistle-blowers, to be blacklisted. Does anybody have any details on this?

See here:

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

It's this thing I posted up above.

https://imgur.com/nT1RfpA

Amy repeatedly told the team the project was doomed for failure, and told us a number of stories up to and including that a friend of her father stole tens of thousands of dollars from the budget then essentially vanished off the face of the Earth. Most recently, Amy told the team she didn't have any money, and that the project couldn't be completed. The translator, Noelle, asked where the money went, because it was a lot, considering the amount on Kickstarter and Backerkit. She told Noelle she spent it, and exactly $0 was left. Noelle then asked her why there was exactly $0 left, because that doesn't make any sense. Some of the team had partial payments, and we knew there was complication with Kraken, and the licensing royalties, but that didn't even remotely account for the majority of the funding. That funding was supposed to fund three whole books, and she was telling us there wasn't enough to fund one book, let alone three. She didn't respond. Noelle gave her quite a while. Eventually Noelle left because she couldn't continue on in good conscience. I followed up privately by saying I needed answers. I tried reaching out again, only to realize I'd been blocked from communicating with her privately. So I left. That was this morning. I then connected with Noelle and we discussed how, if everything Amy told us was true, we could actually see the project to completion. It was the first time I'd ever spoken to Noelle outside of very minor comments on the creative process on that Discord. We agreed to pitch to Amy that we'd be willing to to complete the project but not with her in charge of the license because she'd shown us that we couldn't trust her.

MachineIV fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 12, 2019

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Amy did not respond because she was in the hospital. She literally could not respond to Noelle and top of that Noelle didn't say anything to anyone else--or if she did they haven't come forward to say anything.

That and from her end you're not blocked.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It's making less sense the more you talk about it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rubix Squid posted:

Amy did not respond because she was in the hospital. She literally could not respond to Noelle and top of that Noelle didn't say anything to anyone else--or if she did they haven't come forward to say anything.

You're not helping her. You're very obviously an enabler of this person and you should get offline immediately. Your friend should turn everything over to someone else, shut the gently caress up, and walk away from Kickstarter forever.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Rubix Squid posted:

The only person who can tell you this is the person you are defending by saying she is a compulsive liar. You have serious problems and need to stop enabling this.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Don't stop posting, this poo poo is wild. :suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rubix Squid posted:

This is a really bad place to be having this discussion, as others have pointed out. Everything is obviously still really raw and nothing is going to be resolved here. This is not where or how you're going to explain her actions, presuming that's what you're going for.

It's probably best to chill for awhile, wait until your friend gets home, and work out what the proper next step in dealing with this is.