Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Julio Cruz posted:

not sure where everyone is getting the idea that Carrot needs to be hench as gently caress

tall, yes, but he's not meant to be visually intimidating (in Guards! Guards! at least) so he needs to be reasonably skinny to balance it out a bit

He looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

edit: 193 - maybe the sexiest roman numeral.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Liking the look of that Watch casting. Everyone has their own fantasy casting (Hugh Laurie for Vimes, do not mock me!) but if there's one thing this country isn't short of, it's good actors, virtually all unknown of course.

Having said that, Harriet Walter for Granny Weatherwax in a theoretical Witches project please, based on her performance as Henry IV. And yes Miriam Margolyes is the only possible Nanny Ogg.

I saw Harriet Walter as Julius Caesar a couple years ago and I completely agree.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that virtually every City Watch book climaxes with Carrot performing some absurd feat of strength. He's got into fist-fights with werewolves, trolls, and golems, he put a sword straight through a stone pillar (and the guy standing in front of it), and he literally killed a guy by throwing the book at him (admittedly, a rather heavy book, but it takes serious arm strength to get something like that to lethal velocity).

the book throw only kills Wonse because it knocks him through a hole in the floor

like sure Carrot is strong but he gets (unsuccessfully) mugged as soon as he sets foot in Ankh-Morpork which doesn't make a lot of sense if he's meant to be The Mountain on roids

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Forget about scrawny carrot and disappointingly non valkyrie versions of Angua. The real casting question is why Cheeri doesn't have a beard. And yes, she canonically does.

I hope they find a good fake one to glue on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

the book throw only kills Wonse because it knocks him through a hole in the floor

like sure Carrot is strong but he gets (unsuccessfully) mugged as soon as he sets foot in Ankh-Morpork which doesn't make a lot of sense if he's meant to be The Mountain on roids

Trolls get routinely mugged in Ankh-Morpork. Even the biggest human will only slow down the residents of the Shades slightly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Julio Cruz posted:

He's also unassuming and commonly thoguht to be stupid. And was very obviously a hick from the sticks.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Julio Cruz posted:

that was to highlight how desperate (and numerous) such muggers are in ankh morpork - that's after this:

quote:

People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

-- Carrot travels to Ankh-Morpork (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)

AM has a limitless supply of muggers stupid enough to attack the protagonist, it's one of their primary cottage economies.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Diet Crack posted:

I’m fairly convinced that any pro brexit supporter on twitter with a bunch of flags after their handle and all caps are most certainly bots. They regurgitate the same message over and over again. It’s always the Union Jack, the us flag, Israel’s flag and then maybe Australia and New Zealand thrown in for good measure. Maybe an Esq too.

You have too high an opinion of your fellow man.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think Tamsin Greig would make a good Margot, am I being odd in thinking that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I think Tamsin Greig would make a good Margot, am I being odd in thinking that?

She's 53. Magrat should probably be in her twenties.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

edit: 193 - maybe the sexiest roman numeral.

I hate you

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Perfectly normal for the Secretary of State for Defence to casually threaten nuclear war in case of brexit. :allears:

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure we have enough nukes to solve brexit tbh, they couldn't even wipe the UK out let alone anyone else.
There are at least four Vanguard-class nuclear-warhead equipped submarines, each capable of deploying ~200 warheads.
That might be enough for the UK to glow blue from Cerenkov radiation.

el dingo posted:

Slightly left field but Stephen Rea as Vetinari.

I also read this whole thread, slow work week. Don't AMA though.
It's not the worst idea. I always imagined Vetinari as having very short hair, though.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, carcer should be tiny and unassuming and non-thretening until he suddenly terrifyingly isn't.

Eddie Marsan would be my pick.
This is incredibly good read on Carcer, and Eddie Marsan would be bloody perfect for it (I couldn't recall his name, so thanks for saving me a bunch of trouble trying to recall it).

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It isn't necessarily Night Watch; Carcer was at large in modern day Ankh Morpork and they might have just wanted a recognisable villain and thought he was a good fit.
Hasn't his daughter promised publicly that she would adapt her fathers work as faithfully as possible? In which case it doesn't seem like they could tell a new story involving Carcer in "present-day" Ankh-Morpork.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ms Adequate posted:

Whurrrrr's the podcast ya BASTARDS

Rarity posted:

I think the expectation is that it will be up today. It's taken longer for Sanitary Naptime to edit because we recorded a bonus episode last night, ya UNGRATEFUL LOUT.

It’ll be out tonight! (Possibly late tonight because I have a terrible work ethic)

VideoGames posted:

I have recently been streaming games and it is a lot of fun to talk to people, so I think I will offer my services for the podcast.
I am definitely nowhere near as knowledgeable as this thread can be, but I do love to laugh at the sheer absurdity of our political system.

Videogames go on pip

Ratjaculation posted:

I assume anyone itt who willingly reads anything but the 1% of the guardian that isn't poo poo is into electric nipple clips and those spikey prison penis things

Comment or Commentariat is my kink

Maugrim posted:

Inclusivity is excellent and I hope you get some disabled people on spitting fire about this shite government. Unfortunately they won't be me as podcasts are inherently inimical to us deaf folks :v:

E: not having a go at all if that wasn't clear, I think UKMT having a podcast is Very Good

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, there’s a discussion going on now on the best way to address this dumb oversight on our part, stay tuned for more information soon!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I saw Harriet Walter as Julius Caesar a couple years ago and I completely agree.

That was another part of our all-female Shakespeare trilogy! Fun shows.

RockyB posted:

Forget about scrawny carrot and disappointingly non valkyrie versions of Angua. The real casting question is why Cheeri doesn't have a beard. And yes, she canonically does.

I don't think actors generally wear great big dwarf beards in their headshots just in case. Though maybe they should.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

D. Ebdrup posted:

Hasn't his daughter promised publicly that she would adapt her fathers work as faithfully as possible? In which case it doesn't seem like they could tell a new story involving Carcer in "present-day" Ankh-Morpork.

I haven't enjoyed the writing of anything Rhianna Pratchett has been involved in.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/TyronWilson/status/1172117786744762368?s=19

Tag urself I'm "having sex with a sports star" - although I read "sports car" first and didn't bat an eyelid

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The lass playing Angua is a friend of my wife's and is apparently tiny. When she saw her name in the casting announcement she assumed she'd be playing Cheery or someone.

Although I suspect my mental picture of Angua as a big blonde Amazonish woman may come from the Josh Kirby illustrations rather than any text description.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

She's 53. Magrat should probably be in her twenties.

She was also already in Going Postal as someone else, not that that necessarily rules her out. She's another one with a decent range even though many people only know her from comedy (such as the Dylan Moran's solo-written show, Black Books :v:)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

There are at least four Vanguard-class nuclear-warhead equipped submarines, each capable of deploying ~200 warheads.
That might be enough for the UK to glow blue from Cerenkov radiation.

Uks only got like less than 200 nuclear warheads total. Each sub 8 missiles and about 40 warheads and only one is ever actually like meant to be being a proper deterrent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

RockyB posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them grow a beard for the role, but if not, convincing beard prosthetics aren't exactly beyond a modern makeup department.

God I'm so looking forward to The Watch and I'm terrified it's going to be bad. But I take heart that Good Omens reputedly wasn't. Still haven't seen it, I'm hoping we still have a BBC when it's supposed to be on in November.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I figure it's a sort of Christopher Reeve Clark Kent thing, he generally carries himself in a way that makes him feel smaller than he is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

But I take heart that Good Omens reputedly wasn't.

like I don't know that I'd go as far as "bad" but I could definitely agree with "underwhelming"

e: a Discworld fake beard should be very clearly attached with wire behind the ears

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Good Omens was good, but it was not a faithful adaptation; that's kind of why it worked (better than any of the Pratchett adaptations imo), because they changed it to make it better suited to the screen. Most Pratchett adaptations kinda fall flat because the whole charm of the books is that he's just talking to you, in a witty, conversational tone. Most of the jokes come from the narrator, and attributing them to the characters just seems a bit weak.

Still enjoyed them mind.

Bobstar posted:

She was also already in Going Postal as someone else, not that that necessarily rules her out. She's another one with a decent range even though many people only know her from comedy (such as the Dylan Moran's solo-written show, Black Books :v:)
David Jason was Albert before he was Rincewind. Was good as both tbh.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Gort posted:

I haven't enjoyed the writing of anything Rhianna Pratchett has been involved in.

She’s fine, just not the prodigious talent her dad was. A famous parent is a hell of a burden; I can understand why a lot of people go in totally the opposite direction for their career

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

God I'm so looking forward to The Watch and I'm terrified it's going to be bad. But I take heart that Good Omens reputedly wasn't. Still haven't seen it, I'm hoping we still have a BBC when it's supposed to be on in November.

Discworld adaptations are always terrifying, I'm glad Going Postal was good (RIP Andrew Sachs), hoping for good things here.

I started Good Omens, realised I'd never read it, listened to the audiobook on some long drives (Martin Jarvis :allears: I'd listen to him read the phonebook), I didn't like it as much as Discworld but the screen version was a good one of it. If that makes sense.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dabir posted:

I figure it's a sort of Christopher Reeve Clark Kent thing, he generally carries himself in a way that makes him feel smaller than he is.

yeah it's that farmboy, blacksmith apprentice sort of thing. big and strong but polite, humble and unassuming enough you don't really notice.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CaRrOtS aRe TaLl AnD tHiN aNd ThIcKeR aT tHe ToP

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd genuinely love it if The Watch had gritty noir-style narration, but about class and races and the Boots Theory and so forth, from Vimes, that would be perfectly in keeping with what a TV show of The Watch should be.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/elfbread420/status/1172081962984435713

what the gently caress is this for real

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tag urself I'm "having sex with a sports star" - although I read "sports car" first and didn't bat an eyelid

I'm role play, role playing someone having sex with a stranger who's also someone else's partner.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Borrovan posted:

Good Omens was good, but it was not a faithful adaptation; that's kind of why it worked (better than any of the Pratchett adaptations imo), because they changed it to make it better suited to the screen. Most Pratchett adaptations kinda fall flat because the whole charm of the books is that he's just talking to you, in a witty, conversational tone. Most of the jokes come from the narrator, and attributing them to the characters just seems a bit weak.

Still enjoyed them mind.

i had a theory that all the stuff gaiman wrote in GO was adapted really well, and in some case expanded upon because they had him working on the production. they couldn't do that with the prachett stuff and as such it came out much weaker - we know he wrote the agnes bits and can infer he wrote the death stuff neither were very good.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Failed Imagineer posted:

berth elu PLP

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lib Dems being chasers is the least surprising thing.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Borrovan posted:

David Jason was Albert before he was Rincewind. Was good as both tbh.

True, though I thought he was too old for Rincewind.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

^^^nah all the wizard students being really old is like a massive joke??

CoolCab posted:

i had a theory that all the stuff gaiman wrote in GO was adapted really well, and in some case expanded upon because they had him working on the production. they couldn't do that with the prachett stuff and as such it came out much weaker - we know he wrote the agnes bits and can infer he wrote the death stuff neither were very good.
God the loving casting for Death though.

& incidentally wtf is up with Lib Dems fetishising people based on race & gender identity, jfc

e:

Guavanaut posted:

Lib Dems being chasers is the least surprising thing.
f;b

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 12, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

aw yeah labour all up in that NTR

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Gort posted:

It's a crying shame Pete Postlethwaite is dead or he'd have been an excellent Vimes.

Vetinari

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

CaRrOtS aRe TaLl AnD tHiN aNd ThIcKeR aT tHe ToP

Those are oranges.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Those are oranges.

orange you glad they aren't bendy bananas??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Failed Imagineer posted:

Conservatives: loving somebody who is rich and famous
UKIP: All the results of sex without having to do any of the work
Lib Dems: A whole bunch of fetishising people for their identities
Labour: Normal poo poo