Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lucrece posted:

AITA for calling my body-positive co-worker "unhealthy, deluded, and bitter" after some rude comments she made about me?

As a fat bloke: you're completely right, tell the fat bitch to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Barudak posted:

If she has lets say 2 beers a night 5 nights a week she is firmly in the top 20% of all drinkers. If she is, as we literally all suspect, drinking about 3 or more a night, she is in the top 10% and also basically an alcoholic.

Boyfriend should stop policing her drinking and move on to travel agenting himself away from her

To be fair, boyfriend's "are you serious?" shtick would annoy anyone, but he's not wrong, it sounds like she drinks too much too regularly.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah the point of body positivity is to embrace all body types, not to use it as some lowkey NLOG bullshit

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm body positive! But not your body.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Also I think we're in agreement here that alcoholic girlfriend is ta, it at the very least oblivious to her own alcoholism. What is Reddit saying in the thread?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for sneaking food into school even though there’s a student with severe allergies?

quote:

So I’m a senior in high school this year, and because of my schedule, I don’t have any free periods, lunches, or study halls. Apparently I needed another art credit to graduate, and the only available art class was the period I would have had lunch (small school) so now I have to skip lunch and take art if I want to graduate on time.

Anyway, I assumed it would work like it did last year. Every semester there are a few seniors whose schedules are all fucky, so teachers just let them eat in class or let them sign out to go to the cafeteria or nurse. Except our school changed its policy this year, because one freshman has some allergies.

The new rule is absolutely no eating anywhere in the building except one section of the cafeteria during specific periods. You can’t even have drinks in the classrooms (just in case your Gatorade is secretly harboring peanuts, I guess) or take your lunchbox with you to class. They’re insanely strict about it—they even made one girl throw away her breath mints—and they keep threatening to punish people for “hiding” food. And, even if you’re in the small section of the cafeteria devoted to actually eating, your food must be free of milk, eggs, soy, gluten, tree nuts, peanuts, apples, and like eight other extremely common ingredients found in practically everything. Because of the restrictions, most people just buy the (terrible) school food.

Now, I can’t do that, because I’m in class for the entire time the cafeteria is open. The administration told the teachers to grant students who don’t have lunches passes so they can go buy food, but that process takes at least twenty minutes every time. You have to get a pass, get the teacher to sign the pass, get the teacher to sign your “agenda log,” sign out of class, sign into the cafeteria, get the cafeteria monitor to log you on the attendance sheet, wait in line, etc, and that’s before you can even eat. Almost all of my classes are APs, so the teachers are not happy about giving kids lunch passes that excuse them from nearly half of class every single day.

Normally I don’t even mind not having food, because school is like 7 to 2:30, but now clubs are starting up. Sports and clubs can easily make it so I don’t get home until 5 or later, meaning I have to go a solid ten hours without eating. I’m on a course of antibiotics that makes me vomit unless I take it with food, and I’m not supposed to have ten hours between doses. What I’ve been doing is sneaking food into the back of the library while I wait for clubs to begin, since it’s too crowded for anyone to notice.

The reason I’m concerned about being an rear end in a top hat is that I know the allergy kid—all the allergies are real, and pretty severe. I don’t want to give her anaphylaxis because I contaminated a library table with apples or something. At the same time, though, I have meds to take, I have to eat, and the school administration won’t help me. AITA?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
...eat outside? I know weather limits that a lot of times, but on good days maybe?

that's really tough

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It seems completely insane to implement policies like that for the whole school. That’s like every major, common food you could expect someone to bring from home and effectively forcing people to buy cafeteria food is some bullshit

The kid who is allergic to everything shouldn’t be attending school, like it sucks, but banning every type of food and drink everywhere all the time is so hugely inconvenient at best and actively bad for people with other health or financial concerns, there’s just no reason to do it for the sake of one kid. Sorry dude homeschool is that way

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for abruptly cutting off contact with my SO?

My SO lives two states away, we have known each other for just over a year. Our relationship is a 30/70 split. He comes into town every few weeks and stays with me. Every other month I go to his place. We've been good to one another, aside from the distance, since we started seeing each other.

A few days ago he arrives on my doorstep for our planned visit, but he looks like he's been in a bad fight. Bruised, bloody. Broken nose.

​Of course I'm alarmed. I ask him what happened. He says it's nothing. I can't imagine him getting into any trouble between here and the airport, but he won't give me any details. I ask if he was jumped or robbed. He says no. He has his wallet and phone. He doesn't want to call the police. He doesn't want me asking any more questions.

​I made a decision and told him to go somewhere else. I shut the door on him. He didn't put up a fight, and maybe that's why I'm still fighting with my decision days later.

​I don't want to be involved with somebody who's not able to be communicative with me. Especially when it's about something that could potentially put me at risk.

​Am I the rear end in a top hat for not letting him in? He's been sending me messages since, asking me to reconsider, but I can't bring myself to entertain it until he tells me the truth.

We just breezed by this, but this is hilariously cold blooded.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ouhei posted:

We just breezed by this, but this is hilariously cold blooded.

I kinda feel like she's right though. At least give a reasonable lie if you're going to show up that way.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah it might be cold-blooded but that's only because the social expectation is she go 'oh honey-booboo, come in and let me nurture you no-questions-asked! you can tell me later when you're feeling better!'

but gently caress that, he could have gotten into some serious trouble that is following him now and headed straight her loving way. she's got no obligation to react as a magnanimous nurse, and every obligation to follow her instincts to protect her own self from harm. if she HAD gotten hurt by letting him in, you can bet the 'she should have known better/protected herself more' chorus would be chiming in right about now. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He probably just got his rear end kicked being a dick and stepping out of line and is now too embarrassed to rehash the tale on the spot, but that's not her problem - he needs to understand how scary and dangerous this can look.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 12, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm body positive you need to eat a cheeseburger, girl

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah it might be cold-blooded but that's only because the social expectation is she go 'oh honey-booboo, come in and let me nurture you no-questions-asked! you can tell me later when you're feeling better!'

but gently caress that, he could have gotten into some serious trouble that is following him now and headed straight her loving way. she's got no obligation to react as a magnanimous nurse, and every obligation to follow her instincts to protect her own self from harm. if she HAD gotten hurt by letting him in, you can bet the 'she should have known better/protected herself more' chorus would be chiming in right about now. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He probably just got his rear end kicked being a dick and stepping out of line and is now too embarrassed to rehash the tale on the spot, but that's not her problem - he needs to understand how scary and dangerous this can look.

Yeah its cold blooded, but at the same time she probably saved herself untold suffering so NTA.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
That one's just weird. Yeah it's cold to turn them away at the door, but why wouldnt you explain to your SO why you look like you just got jumped by mooks? I feel like there's more to this than being let on.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I don't think she necessarily made the wrong choice, but it just feels like a pretty big jump to make without previous incidents of him doing shady poo poo that would put her in danger. She's either doing a bad job of explaining what made her feel like he would be endangering her or there's some key info missing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I agree it's a big jump, but the SO refusing to act like arriving all bloodied up is weird sets off huge red flags for me, because it indicates he's the type of person who tries to sweep things under the rug

if she had acquiesced, it would have shown him he can be the sort of guy who keeps these things secret and acts like they're normal in an attempt to downplay them

she refused to be that person for him

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Why is it that so many dudes just don't understand basic poo poo like this. Wipe your rear end, brush your teeth, put the toilet seat down, have a good explanation if you show up at your gf's place covered in blood

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

FilthyImp posted:

Something about internalized patriarchal anti-woman feelings?
See also: Lavigne, Avril-- skaterboi

She just sounds like someone whose been bullied or otherwise marginalized by the popular kids (specifically female ones) and has hangups because of it.
She's literally just a female version of most goons.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
I'm imagining it was some hilarious series of events where he tried to help an old woman get her cat out of a tree and it caused a long series of accidents that ended with him falling face first into the old lady's boobs and she hits him in the groin and then he gets to his girlfriend's, she asks what happened and he relives the events in his mind and is like, "dont ask," then she slams the door in his face and his pants fall down.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
okay, I really don’t like flipping the gender on posts, but if your SO shows up bruised and bloody and refuses to talk about it and is so determined to not talk about it that they leave rather than do so when you ask, I think if the injured SO was a woman we would be calling the partner heartless and would possibly suspect something traumatic had happened on the way to the house. is it really unbelievable that he might be in shock or trying to process whatever happened? in the story as told, all of this has happened in one night. OP doesn’t say whether she’s asked what happened again, just said her BF has been texting her asking her to “reconsider,” which I guess could be “reconsider letting me in,” but I’d say more likely it’s “reconsider breaking up with me.” did she do it on the spot, that night, while he’s recently injured?

it’s weird for sure but not unbelievable that he might not want to talk about getting mugged or beat up or whatever happened as his face is still actively bleeding

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

teen witch posted:

I didn’t know I wanted this until this very moment.

loving right? Like I was hoping to get a few animal skulls for here and there but DEAD SHED!!1! sounds kinda amazing.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

If you are remotely concerned about your sons safety pull your daughter out of cheerleading right now jesus christ. Cheerleading has the highest rate of injuries of any highschool sport and they get really nasty too, with spinal fractures frequently in the mix. It is in fact so dangerous that the organization that runs cheerleading has to call it a sport to keep their insurance.

It's been a long time since I've thought about Cheerleading but I thought it was the opposite, they vehemently deny being a sport because if they were a sport then there's all kinds of safety regulations they'd have to follow. Has it changed or am I just misinformed?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

okay, I really don’t like flipping the gender on posts, but if your SO shows up bruised and bloody and refuses to talk about it and is so determined to not talk about it that they leave rather than do so when you ask, I think if the injured SO was a woman we would be calling the partner heartless and would possibly suspect something traumatic had happened on the way to the house. is it really unbelievable that he might be in shock or trying to process whatever happened? in the story as told, all of this has happened in one night. OP doesn’t say whether she’s asked what happened again, just said her BF has been texting her asking her to “reconsider,” which I guess could be “reconsider letting me in,” but I’d say more likely it’s “reconsider breaking up with me.” did she do it on the spot, that night, while he’s recently injured?

it’s weird for sure but not unbelievable that he might not want to talk about getting mugged or beat up or whatever happened as his face is still actively bleeding

Yeah it's as though there is an established societal power dynamic which historically disadvantages women and manifests itself in violence against women for reasons not equally directed against men, leading reasonable people to assume, based on that precedent, that a woman was attacked whereas a man got himself into a fight and lost.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

What a heartless person. Like, poo poo, lady, let the poor injured dude you're supposed to love in and help him clean the blood off.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

drat, i wish i could remember the story of when someone on tumblr bought a human skeleton

I can't remember what they did with it

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
In an ideal world:

Yeah the point of body positivity is to embrace all body types, not to use it as some lowkey NLOG bullshit

But in FutureHell it's just another way to drown out the little voice inside you that says "Oh okay, I guess we're just eating a whole-rear end party sub now huh?"

DeadButDelicious posted:

That one's just weird. Yeah it's cold to turn them away at the door, but why wouldnt you explain to your SO why you look like you just got jumped by mooks? I feel like there's more to this than being let on.

I'm trying to imagine what would motivate me to try to brush off an obvious beating and the simplest solution I can think of is that he's involved in a crime so my money's on got the poo poo kicked out of him over drugs.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 12, 2019

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

DeadButDelicious posted:

He's following the first two rules.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

hose blood dude down outside and let him stay in dead shed till he confesses to his ailments

kru
Oct 5, 2003

also bring back fightman(tm)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah it's as though there is an established societal power dynamic which historically disadvantages women and manifests itself in violence against women for reasons not equally directed against men, leading reasonable people to assume, based on that precedent, that a woman was attacked whereas a man got himself into a fight and lost.

Yeah this. ~But what if we reversed the genders~ almost never includes things like societal context and I feel like it's mostly used as a way for misogynists to hide behind "equality"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xun posted:

Yeah this. ~But what if we reversed the genders~ almost never includes things like societal context and I feel like it's mostly used as a way for misogynists to hide behind "equality"

Ok your right it's better to perpetuate these inequalities into infinity.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I totally agree that there is a different societal context for women which makes many situations inherently different based on gender, and have said that many times in this thread. but I don’t see why that means this man couldn’t have been traumatized by whatever happened to him, and maybe not be ready to talk about it the instant he shows up at her door bleeding and injured. all I’m saying is we shouldn’t discount that (imo) reasonable possibility just because the injured party is a dude

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

Not the rear end in a top hat but also not wise; drinking a couple of beers (ACTUALLY two or is she using a couple to mean "several", and how big is a beer, we talking stubbies or pints, how much of a bottle of wine each day?) EVERY night is actually really not good for you, there's growing evidence that long term daily alcohol consumption causes a lot of health problems later in life even when you're not getting drunk every day.

You might have missed it but she say 'adulting' so might want to rethink that Not the rear end in a top hat there.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Grape posted:

She just sounds like someone whose been bullied or otherwise marginalized by the popular kids (specifically female ones) and has hangups because of it.
She's literally just a female version of most goons.

Or she's Liz Lemon thinking she was bullied by the popular girls when it turns out she was the rear end in a top hat all along!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok your right it's better to perpetuate these inequalities into infinity.

Reducing it to an either/or binary is absolutely a mature and level-headed way to deal with criticisms of trying to apply expectations in a blanket manner despite the realities of culture & people's lives

I totally agree that there is a different societal context for women which makes many situations inherently different based on gender, and have said that many times in this thread. but I don’t see why that means this man couldn’t have been traumatized by whatever happened to him, and maybe not be ready to talk about it the instant he shows up at her door bleeding and injured. all I’m saying is we shouldn’t discount that (imo) reasonable possibility just because the injured party is a dude

I thought about this, and it's very probably he's suffering trauma and didn't want to talk

but she can't put herself at risk because of his trauma

i know that seems heartless, but again: women are charged with our own protection in this world

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 12, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Men are just as likely if not more likely to be attacked by strangers so that's a bizarre assumption to make.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Reducing it to an either/or binary is absolutely a mature and level-headed way to deal with criticisms of trying to apply expectations in a blanket manner despite the realities of culture & people's lives

I thought about this, and it's very probably he's suffering trauma and didn't want to talk

but she can't put herself at risk because of his trauma

i know that seems heartless, but again: women are charged with our own protection in this world

that’s fair, and I can see why she’d send him away that night even if it seems harsh. I wish there was more info though because it seems over the top to me to break up with him immediately or not reach out and ask gently what happened and ask to talk about it when he’s ready (she doesn’t say if she has responded to his texts to her). but I am a guy so I could be seeing it wrong and maybe the whole situation is too risky to be involved in at all

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Men are just as likely if not more likely to be attacked by strangers so that's a bizarre assumption to make.

:allbuttons:

don't do this

that’s fair, and I can see why she’d send him away that night even if it seems harsh. I wish there was more info though because it seems over the top to me to break up with him immediately or not reach out and ask gently what happened and ask to talk about it when he’s ready (she doesn’t say if she has responded to his texts to her). but I am a guy so I could be seeing it wrong and maybe the whole situation is too risky to be involved in at all

yeah, i do agree breaking up straight out is a bit much. my read is that she sensed something was really off with this encounter that triggered a lot of danger red flags for her, but is having trouble expressing that.

someone else said their thought was 'drug deal gone bad', which was mine too - if it helps to imagine that a woman would be doing the quick mental math of 'possible drug deal -> people angry at him? -> people FOLLOWING him?? -> would he tell me??? -> if he won't tell me, am i putting myself in danger right now??'

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 12, 2019

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Could be something as simple as got his rear end beat by some dude that was road raging and doesn't want to immediately start explaining how he randomly got his rear end beat to his girlfriend right that instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nastyman posted:

I'm trying to imagine what would motivate me to try to brush off an obvious beating and the simplest solution I can think of is that he's involved in a crime so my money's on got the poo poo kicked out of him over drugs.

Whatever he was doing he really doesn't want to let her know or even make a plausible excuse.

Refusing to get the cops involved isn't inherently sketch, but not even having a "got into a heated fight with a buddy, friends separated us I don't want the cops involved" excuse story reeks of some shady poo poo he got messed up over.

I don't get all the criticism towards her. She expressed serious concerns about what looked like an assault victim and he dismissed her entirely and won't answer any questions about it. Either illegal behavior or male pride so fragile that admitting he got beat up is a huge no go.