Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zoomer fujoshi are wild....liking characters because they ARE a huge pos ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Zoomer fujoshi are wild....liking characters because they ARE a huge pos ftw.

Millenials beat them to it re: the MCU. I’ve been in fandom for a long time, yaoi fangirls are always split between redemption/no redemption needed.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah it's definitely confirmation bias on my part.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I hope they spin it around and P5R makes him even worse, and you have to kill him yourself this time

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CharlestonJew posted:

I hope they spin it around and P5R makes him even worse, and you have to kill him yourself this time

That would be an absolutely bonkers twist and I don't know if that would be better.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm absolutely banking on them letting you romance Sae and making her so much worse in the process, it's gonna fuckin rule

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

That would be an absolutely bonkers twist and I don't know if that would be better.

by all appearances akechi's the one who's going to bail us out of the lotus-eater bullshit happening in the game's new act so i wouldn't hold my breath

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Shinjobi posted:

Its better than the current message, that kids failed and corrupted by the system can only find hope by metaphorically blowing their own brains out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They need another animation pass on that intro. They really shouldn't be animating fast dance moves on twos and threes like that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

I'm absolutely banking on them letting you romance Sae and making her so much worse in the process, it's gonna fuckin rule

Date Sae AND Makoto for maximum Valentine's Day awkward.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Expect My Mom posted:

Its better than the current message, that kids failed and corrupted by the system can only find hope by metaphorically blowing their own brains out.

Akechi didn't redeem himself or find hope by sacrificing his life. He momentarily stopped digging, but a moment where you aren't being evil doesn't suddenly make you good. He was a bad person with a stupid plan, and the only good interactions with him are when you dunk on him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

:emptyquote:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kaza42 posted:

Akechi didn't redeem himself or find hope by sacrificing his life. He momentarily stopped digging, but a moment where you aren't being evil doesn't suddenly make you good. He was a bad person with a stupid plan, and the only good interactions with him are when you dunk on him.
this is just not true. the entire party says how they relate to and understand him. they want to help him. "dunking" on him is entirely optional dialogue choice, hell you can even flirt with him.

goro is walking, talking example of what the phantom thieves were made to stop, and him just killing himself and then never talking about him again is such a bad ending

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

this is just not true. the entire party says how they relate to and understand him. they want to help him. "dunking" on him is entirely optional dialogue choice, hell you can even flirt with him.

goro is walking, talking example of what the phantom thieves were made to stop, and him just killing himself and then never talking about him again is such a bad ending

Understanding someone and forgiving them are very different things. I may not remember every line they said about him, but I am pretty sure that while they were sympathetic to him they agreed he went too far and was a bad guy. Hell, he directly murdered a parent of two party members

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah you even have Makoto and Futaba say explicitly 'I feel bad for him, but I can't forgive him for what he did'

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah, and those two party members are the people who understand him the most. Haru knows what it's like to have absolutely terribly family and Futaba is so painfully aware of what it's like to be desperately alone in the world. Hell, Goro was Futaba's current age when he killed Wakaba, so there's even a second layer of understanding.

They don't forgive and entirely accept him, but they don't think he's terrible irredeemable scum because he was and is a literal child when this happened. I don't know how this gray area the party has doesn't extend to players.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Would you say that the other PTs are kids "failed by the system" who found a way out that didn't involve murdering people?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Oxxidation posted:

by all appearances akechi's the one who's going to bail us out of the lotus-eater bullshit happening in the game's new act so i wouldn't hold my breath

The lotus eater thing is centered on Akechi's redemption and in the end you have to kill your "friend" to end it in a hugely emotional scene that will be both terrible and funny as hell.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

I don't know how this gray area the party has doesn't extend to players.

(It's because the writing surrounding it isn't very good and so it feels unearned)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

YaketySass posted:

Would you say that the other PTs are kids "failed by the system" who found a way out that didn't involve murdering people?
I would say they were being failed, yeah, but none as completely as Goro who was alone his entire life. Like even Futaba had one person in her life that cared about her and worked to make her life better. Even Madarame cared about Yusuke in some way. And they all found a way out by finding each other. This is something Goro wonders about, if he had found the Thieves or even just Joker earlier, things could have turned out so much better. Like Goro is another Wild Card user, but only has one other Persona because you are literally the only other bond hes ever had.

Goro and Shido are, perhaps very poorly done, commentary on the Japanese foster system and politics with regards to them so I feel there is also some context in understanding how Japan regards orphaned and unwanted children that would help make Goro seem more understandable

Arist posted:

(It's because the writing surrounding it isn't very good and so it feels unearned)
Lol yeah. I'll admit that I'm probably doing a lot of Atlus' work for them here

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The writing surrounding Akechi is absurdly bad, P5R eill do nothing to fix it and instead will hammer on the poor soft baby uwu thing bc money.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Personally I'm hyped as hell knowing the justifications for Akechi joining the good guys while still looking like lanky Berserk Guts and screaming "LOKI!!!" like a psychopath to get the hold up and then smiling and walking along with the rest of the gang during the jazzy victory music will be complete poo poo. Ditto the fact that you're probably going to get to bang Sae, which is just so wrong on so many levels it loops back around to be hilarious. I am 100% on board for P5R

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope that you can bang Sae immediately before the climactic choice sequence

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i find it annoying when people complain about posts or opinions i would never encounter if not for people making GBS threads themselves about them here

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Goros "true" outfit sucks so if he sticks with it that's my punishment for him actually joining the party

His marching band theater troupe leader outfit is just so good

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheKingofSprings posted:

I hope that you can bang Sae immediately before the climactic choice sequence

Sae asks you to turn yourself in but then your phone buzzes, and she says okay fine tomorrow then. You open up all your texts... one of which is Sae, somehow.

Expect My Mom posted:

Goros "true" outfit sucks so if he sticks with it that's my punishment for him actually joining the party

His marching band theater troupe leader outfit is just so good

Yeah I actually legitimately like his "fake" outfit and how it both plays into a contrast of Joker's outfit and Akechi's warped view of what a "hero" would look like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like people treat An echo as being The Literal Worst Person Ever forget that JRPGs fuckin' love letting you recruit some awful rear end people because they had tragic history. Acting like P5 is doing something unheard of is pretty silly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like people treat An echo as being The Literal Worst Person Ever forget that JRPGs fuckin' love letting you recruit some awful rear end people because they had tragic history. Acting like P5 is doing something unheard of is pretty silly.

Based on Magus the obvious solution here is to let you either recruit Goro or expose him to a brutal death by frog, I believe this solution will make everyone happy

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I recruited Magus because the timeline was at stake. I never stopped thinking he was a villain.

Goro has basically no redeeming features, he didn't fall from grace so much as gleefully leap into the void and engage rocket boots to plummet further

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
As far as scum people japanese media has tried to redeem, Goro is a low scale in context

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mostly because of the scale of the game. Goro's only had the opportunity to kill less than a thousand people (less than a hundred if the train crash didn't result in any casualties somehow). If he had a Death Note or the ability to blow up planets, he probably would have a much higher death tole

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kaza42 posted:

I recruited Magus because the timeline was at stake. I never stopped thinking he was a villain.

Goro has basically no redeeming features, he didn't fall from grace so much as gleefully leap into the void and engage rocket boots to plummet further
This is such a bonkers way to talk about a fictional teenager

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

I'm just saying I played a JRPG featuring heroic Gilles de Rais, another where Jack the Ripper was a party member, and more than one where the literal final boss in one game becomes playable in the sequel.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair the only heroic Gilles de Rais I can think of in a JRPG was, in universe, corrupted by an evil spirit or something and in the context of the game he's a nice and kind knight who only goes evil later.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Expect My Mom posted:

This is such a bonkers way to talk about a fictional teenager

why

dude is awful and has literally no remorse outside of one wistful 'maybe I wouldn't have killed all those people if I had made some friends idk' before immediately trying to kill you again.

He isn't even particularly powerful or noteworthy to justify bringing him along like most villains who join the team in JRPGs. He's a teenage mass murderer who is going to continue to murder with his superpowers.

he needs to be stopped for the good of everyone. best scenario is incarceration and serious psychological counseling.

letting him continue to wander about though with those same superpowers he has explicitly abused to murder a ton of people is like the absolute dumbest bullshit.

it'd be like a damaged teen finding a gun and the response to learning he had a bad upbringing being 'oh, maybe he should keep the gun and keep hanging out with us!' after he kills a bunch of people. 'He may have murdered my mom because his lovely dad told him to and literally laughed about it to my face but he's cute so he should still hang out with us'

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 12, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

it's not that it's unheard of, it would just be dumb, and bad, and I'm sure everyone is expecting them to do it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Like if Akechi's redemption arc is him taking responsibility for his crimes and committing to getting help for his issues I would be 100% behind that as a story beat.

If its just him getting off scott free so they can shove in more ambiguous shipper-baiting (while not even actually making him a romance option) its going to be insultingly terrible

having bad things happen to you does not get you a magic free pass to do terrible things to others.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
*wee-OH wee-Oh* ah poo poo, fanfic cops are here. Better flush that "<3 Char ~☆ war crimes r sexy ~☆" pencil case. I don't want to have to bail anyone out of pretend jail again.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
What does "taking responsibility" look like for murders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

YaketySass posted:

What does "taking responsibility" look like for murders?

admit what he did was bad for starters.

give up his access to the metaverse so he can't use his murder weapon any more.

seek atonement by revealing the major conspiracy he worked as a hitman for and trying to make amends

Then go from there

like maybe Akechi could work in a Big Brothers/Big Sisters program to help kids younger than him going through the same issues with the foster system in the future.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 12, 2019