Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette?
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 39.11%
no 28 15.64%
maybe? 15 8.38%
Yes I'm phoning this one in. 66 36.87%
Total: 179 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Jay Rust posted:

I think I’m going to play the DKC 1 & 2 soundtrack when I get home.

I don’t think I’ve ever played 3, does it hold up?

DKC 3 is okay but it's definitely the weakest of the three. And as was mentioned, there are a lot of gimmick stages. I seem to recall not enjoying the strange vertical rocket stages for instance. I can't even remember any music from the game, now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

I think I’m going to play the DKC 1 & 2 soundtrack when I get home.

I don’t think I’ve ever played 3, does it hold up?

I liked 3 but Kiddie Kong is the worst of the Kongs imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also is Diddie just a worse Dixie or does he have some strengths?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

diddy is the speedrunner's choice because he's so good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I liked 3 but Kiddie Kong is the worst of the Kongs imo

even worse than pedophile billionaire jeffery epstein kong??

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

three is good but there's a ton of gimmick levels

this statement applies to so many platformers it's like a law

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

oddium posted:

even worse than pedophile billionaire jeffery epstein kong??

i think he goes by 'cranky'

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dewgy posted:

Isn't this the fishing platformer game? I don't remember it being so... chesty.
She's actually always been chesty, it's just that the west didn't see most of the artwork from the first game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I hate everyone who posts in this thread.

Except cheetah, you're cool

Hell yeah I'm Rarity-approved

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So Donkey is a gorilla yet is related to a monkey, Diddie.
Also Diddie and his girlfriend Dixie have the same last name.
Wtf???

???

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

In Training posted:

this statement applies to so many platformers it's like a law

I feel like this applies to a lot of western-developed platformers during the '90s (and maybe '80s but I dunno much about European microcomputers).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought I heard that Cave Story has been essentially stolen by Nicalis from Pixel at this point? Course this is hearsay on Twitter. so I am not sure how much stock I put in this, even if the company is mismanaged and its owner is a racist prick.

Just chiming in to say that the popular thing going around is that Nicalis used some vague wording in the contract Pixl signed that gave them ownership of the IP and the rights to do whatever the hell they wanted with it moving forward.
Pixl being Japanese misunderstood the contract and thought it was just covering the release of Cave Story on other systems and the like- not quite realizing he just signed away the ability to do anything with the series in the future. It's why Quote shows up in everything Nicalis does down to their logo (least for awhile anyway).

I don't recall any solid proof of this all coming out mind but it's one of those things you hear a absolute poo poo ton of people passing around so :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought Diddy was adopted

True Blue Triumph
Apr 10, 2009

I bought Yakuza 0 because this thread is so jazzed about it. I started my game on Hard because I am Skilled at action games.

Is this a wise course of action Y/N?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait i thought dixie was diddy's sister

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought Diddy was adopted

No that's Adopty Kong

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

wait i thought dixie was diddy's sister

dixie is tony's sister and chunky + kiddie's cousin

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

True Blue Triumph posted:

I bought Yakuza 0 because this thread is so jazzed about it. I started my game on Hard because I am Skilled at action games.

No it's a terrible one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

From my experience you should not do this, the combat is not really about feeling good from overcoming significant challenges but about looking cool, which you can do on a normal difficulty level

I think difficulty just makes battles take longer because they have more health.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Yakuza combat is 90% cool animations and sometimes actually doing something different because of one or two bosses. I'm a huge Yak fan and I wouldn't play it at anything over Normal.

True Blue Triumph
Apr 10, 2009

Domo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Kong lore is very confusing I see

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

So Donkey is a gorilla yet is related to a monkey, Diddie.
Also Diddie and his girlfriend Dixie have the same last name.
Wtf???

???

You don't want to go down this rabbit hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQNWYOogOI

Our love is stronger than a golden bananaaaaa

cheetah7071 posted:

Kong lore is very confusing I see

Lmao watch the video, its hilarious

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol that Nicalis got away with this

https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/1172199678818930689

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samuringa posted:

The Yakuza combat is 90% cool animations and sometimes actually doing something different because of one or two bosses. I'm a huge Yak fan and I wouldn't play it at anything over Normal.

To follow up on this, there is an item called Charismatic Autobiography that is given out as a side quest reward. While it gives good stats, IT IS A TRAP, DO NOT EQUIPT IT. It makes enemies ridiculously aggressive and makes fights incredibly hard.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, even though the game he is in is a bit of a pain (Maybe. I remember enjoying it at the time, but I do not care to revisit it), I do love Chunky Kong for his character select screen animations :3:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
At no point does funky kong surf.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
It's around 3 am in Japan and I figure no one will be insane enough to drop news for a while, so this is the only bit I missed from the previous post

https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1172200887546081280

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1kR9YnreOU

Who said Konami doesn't make games anymore?

https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1172185715829919744

And, unfortunately not a real game, but still relevant:

https://twitter.com/GuyFieri/status/1172178315840557059

So that's about it for the next few hours or so and I'll go actually play some videogames or something.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
That Yakuza trailer from TGS is supremely excellent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

At no point does funky kong surf.

Tropical Freeze fixed that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI5FXkmppc4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samuringa posted:

And, unfortunately not a real game, but still relevant:

https://twitter.com/GuyFieri/status/1172178315840557059

So that's about it for the next few hours or so and I'll go actually play some videogames or something.

I wish he could be in Smash Ultimate, or Mortal Kombat XI.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1172183181463830528

Note the collar

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
drat do I love to play "malicious or stupid?"

Wendell
May 11, 2003

(racists get mad at me) sorry, sorry, I’m trying to remove it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Relax Or DIE posted:

drat do I love to play "malicious or stupid?"

Both

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol and double lol that no one gave a poo poo bc who actually played 1001 Spikes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know I've probably heard that name before but today is the first day I have known what games Nicalis was associated with

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm struggling to remember their connection to la mulana since I thought playism was the publisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

In Training posted:

Lol and double lol that no one gave a poo poo bc who actually played 1001 Spikes.

I knew about the second one because a friend who used to read about this kind of thing pointed out the racism addition but I don't think either of us played 1001 Spikes either.

Heck, I didn't even remember that until these posts, feels like one of those weird "Did I dream it or did it really happen?" memories.