Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, there's issues with the Romulan uniform, but they're the only people in the galaxy who aren't somehow obligated to wear tights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Bring back the bizarre field grey dress uniforms from Beyond. I like my fully automated luxury space communism to have inappropriate Nazi imagery.

You mean like Stalin, Castro, or Mao would wear?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Cardassian uniforms looked pretty good, until they stood up.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sash! posted:

You mean like Stalin, Castro, or Mao would wear?

I would in fact prefer the Starfleet commbadge be replaced with a golden hammer/sickle, yes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

davidspackage posted:

The Cardassian uniforms looked pretty good, until they stood up.

They look like Bruce Timm cartoons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PerniciousKnid posted:

They look like Bruce Timm cartoons.

Where all the Men are triangles and the women are smaller triangles

Very offensive in flatland

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Dwayne Johnson was in an episode of Voyager. :eyepop:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Dwayne Johnson was in an episode of Voyager. :eyepop:

That one and the one with Sarah Silverman and the one with Jason Alexander and God knows what else

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wow, reading the Mem Alpha entry for AGT and they only had a 10 day break between wrapping TNG the series and starting to film Generations.

Yeah, they used the break to re-model the bridge and Engineering sets for the -D and also shoot the prologue of Generations. poo poo was wildly time-crunched.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Yeah, they used the break to re-model the bridge and Engineering sets for the -D and also shoot the prologue of Generations. poo poo was wildly time-crunched.

I don’t remember, what was different about the Engineering set?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If were tasked with introducing Star Trek to someone who had never seen it and could only show them one episode, which would you choose?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Zurui posted:

If were tasked with introducing Star Trek to someone who had never seen it and could only show them one episode, which would you choose?

Without having put any effort into it whatsoever beyond about thirty seconds of randomly thinking about it:

The Inner Light

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Zurui posted:

measure of a man

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Zurui posted:

City on the Edge of Forever if a two-parter is allowed. Otherwise, Balance of Terror.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Drumhead

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

measure of a man

This is the answer.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zurui posted:

Civil Defense

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Space Mutiny

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Better question what would the worst first episode to show someone be

Probably a really baffling one with minimal trek content but that's also not very good

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

shovelbum posted:

Probably a really baffling one with minimal trek content but that's also not very good

The Outrageous Okona!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

The Outrageous Okona!

That episode is a straightforward space adventure and the guest cast is easy on the eyes. It's very silly for sure but it's not unwatchable. Not even bottom 10%.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zurui posted:

Devil in the Dark

MAMIL
Sep 2, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Inner Light would be a much worse choice than Okana. Outrageous Okana is goofy camp fluff and is classic meh Star Trek. It’s fun. The inner light is an amazing episode of the twilight zone that stars a Trek captain. Don’t introduce Trek to someone with an episode that is a character study focusing on one character, not on a ship.

It’s like showing someone Far Beyond the Stars or Trials and Tribbleations as their first episode. They might enjoy it, but the impact of it is moot.

TOS - Corbomite Maneuver
TNG - Measure of a Man
DS9 - Duet
VOY - *crickets*
ENT - no idea

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The worst Voyager is the one where Janeway's ancestor opposes the arcology I think

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MAMIL posted:

The Inner Light would be a much worse choice than Okana. Outrageous Okana is goofy camp fluff and is classic meh Star Trek. It’s fun. The inner light is an amazing episode of the twilight zone that stars a Trek captain. Don’t introduce Trek to someone with an episode that is a character study focusing on one character, not on a ship.

Same goes for Doctor Who fans trying to introduce new people to the show by showing them Blink. It's a great episode, but it's not really indicative to what the show is like.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Outrageous Okona’s A plot is fine but the B plot is absolutely unbearable.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

City on the Edge of Forever if a two-parter is allowed. Otherwise, Balance of Terror.

Eh? The only two parter in TOS is The Menagerie. City is all packed into the standard 52 minutes or whatever.

I do think Balance makes a better introduction though. I’ve never liked City as much as some people do (the rice picker joke always makes me cringe) but I think that what does work about it, works best when you already appreciate Kirk and Spock’s relationship. It also gives a somewhat poor first impression of McCoy. Might also recommend Squire of Gothos or Corbomite Maneuver.

shovelbum posted:

11:59

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MAMIL posted:

It’s like showing someone Far Beyond the Stars or Trials and Tribbleations as their first episode. They might enjoy it, but the impact of it is moot.

TOS - Corbomite Maneuver
TNG - Measure of a Man
DS9 - Duet
VOY - *crickets*
ENT - no idea

I think Living Witness would be a good one for VOY, even though it's an atypical episode. Shows enough ship stuff, and not knowing the context puts the viewer along for the ride with the museum guy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

shovelbum posted:

Profit and Lace. It's offensive, it's painfully unfunny, most of the regular cast are barely in it, and most of it's about which screeching troll gets to be king of the weird screeching troll people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

shovelbum posted:

The worst Voyager is the one where Janeway's ancestor opposes the arcology I think
I’m really surprised that ‘11:59’ doesn’t get more hate. It feels like one of the writers was not going to make his deadline so he threw together a pointless Y2K story that is dull as hell

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

Same goes for Doctor Who fans trying to introduce new people to the show by showing them Blink. It's a great episode, but it's not really indicative to what the show is like.

When I was into Doctor Who more I tried introducing a couple friends

The first episode being about silly mannequins and a plastic blob intelligence is apparently a very steep start for some

I have concluded I like very, very silly things and I should keep that to myself and deadgay forums.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

thexerox123 posted:

I think Living Witness would be a good one for VOY, even though it's an atypical episode. Shows enough ship stuff, and not knowing the context puts the viewer along for the ride with the museum guy.

I think Living Witness is a lot better if you already know the show and the characters so you can laugh or be confused at their portrayal as "evil Voyager" in the simulation. I don't thinks it works as well as an "only episode" one.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m really surprised that ‘11:59’ doesn’t get more hate. It feels like one of the writers was not going to make his deadline so he threw together a pointless Y2K story that is dull as hell

It's the worst episode in trek history including the racist ones and the one where doctor phlox commits genocide

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Brawnfire posted:

When I was into Doctor Who more I tried introducing a couple friends

The first episode being about silly mannequins and a plastic blob intelligence is apparently a very steep start for some

I have concluded I like very, very silly things and I should keep that to myself and deadgay forums.

It doesn't help that Keith Boak, the director, considered Doctor Who a show for 8 year olds and directed things appropriately

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It doesn't help that Keith Boak, the director, considered Doctor Who a show for 8 year olds and directed things appropriately

Gotta hit that sweet spot: too hosed-up for kids, too silly for adults, just right for the people that buy custom outfits for Renfaire.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If two parters count, the best Voyager episode is Future's End and you can't change my mind.
Enterprise....probably something with Shran? It's been years since I watched Enterprise and of course I mostly think of the decent to good arcs in S4, which have less impact as stand alone stories. I remember thinking the Risa episode was goofy fun so maybe that?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think Cogenitor is Enterprise doing Star Trek best.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think the best Voyager episode is probably the last one, but I haven't seen it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Epicurius posted:

I think Living Witness is a lot better if you already know the show and the characters so you can laugh or be confused at their portrayal as "evil Voyager" in the simulation. I don't thinks it works as well as an "only episode" one.

Yeah if you want to pick an “everyone’s out of character” episode, it should be Naked Time, because the point of everyone being out of character there is to show you what the main cast are really like deep down, what aspects of their personalities they don’t like to show to anyone else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just throw people right into the Enterprise two parter with the aliens in full Nazi gear. Do not attempt to explain this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Epicurius posted:

I would assume that anyone watching it would be able to suss out that it's an exaggeration, though. And then you see the Doctor's more factual version in detail.