Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auto Level Yoshi
Aug 14, 2008

ravenkult posted:

lmao now the dude is a rapist somehow?

all men are rapists remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's is only one side of the story after all. There's really no context for exactly those 15 minutes went down. From "cops cant do anything why bother" to "no dont loving call the cops put the loving phone down" there's a lot of possibilities for how extreme it was or wasn't.

Given the relationship dynamic its a lot different from having a family member or long term partner show up like that. Someone you've meet casually barely 10+ times showing up and doing that is probably a lot scarier and confusing them a cousin or something who's regularly in your life.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

carry on then posted:

it’s almost like we as a society need to take a hard look at why we allow dangerous, violent animals to walk around freely instead of keeping them locked up at all times (or better, just loving out then down already because nothing of value will be lost)

:yikes:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

DemoneeHo posted:

My (24 f) boyfriend (24 m) is a pedophile sympathizer and has many other extreme views

I am curious if the boyfriend is at University and why he is studying, because his arguments really sound like some of the boundaries being pushed by queer theory—formally trained critical theorist here.

This is really the postmodern turn in social theory taken to the extreme; however, and this is what bothers me about postmodernism in general...

Even if his arguments are correct, which as an historical materialist I would deny, just because the ‘trauma’ inflicted on children by this disgusting poo poo is ‘culturally constructed,’ it does not make that trauma any less real.

So go die in a fire with your postmodern with your child rape apologism.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I am curious if the boyfriend is at University and why he is studying, because his arguments really sound like some of the boundaries being pushed by queer theory—formally trained critical theorist here.

This is really the postmodern turn in social theory taken to the extreme; however, and this is what bothers me about postmodernism in general...

Even if his arguments are correct, which as an historical materialist I would deny, just because the ‘trauma’ inflicted on children by this disgusting poo poo is ‘culturally constructed,’ it does not make that trauma any less real.

he is not reading foucault at a high level, because he is a schizophrenic nazi pedophile, per the thread

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

ZombieLenin posted:

Disagree; the arguments sound like those of a pedophile who has done a lot of research into other pedophiles justifying being pedophiles.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

We'll never know the truth about that exchange, but it sounds like the guy was completely closed off in a suspicious way and I'm going to put my faith in the OP's instincts for making the right call in trying to protect herself.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Okay I'm really torn on the red hair being either from a woman he's cheating with (that has the exact same hair) or a wig boyfriend is hiding. Hairs don't just show up on TP when you're out of the room without a decent explanation. That story is really weird.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Every time I see the title of this thread I think of a man too fat to wipe his own rear end sobbing on the toilet while Madonna's "Borderline" plays from another room.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

you don't understand postmodernism

why don't you blame zoe quinn next

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Scathach posted:

Okay I'm really torn on the red hair being either from a woman he's cheating with (that has the exact same hair) or a wig boyfriend is hiding. Hairs don't just show up on TP when you're out of the room without a decent explanation. That story is really weird.
They have a red haired squatter living in their house.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

DemoneeHo posted:

Girlfriend (23f) imposing Catholic rules, i(23m)dk whether or not to comply reluctantly. We've been together for almost three years.

What kind of people actually wait until marriage for sex in 2019? The vast majority of Catholics and Protestants who go to church every week have premarital sex and use birth control these days. I assume they're Liberty University students or part of a Duggar-style cult.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
If she's still a practicing Catholic after all of the child abuse scandals and is insisting he convert before they marry I'd hazard a guess she's pretty far down the fundie rabbit hole.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

AmiYumi posted:

Disagree; the arguments sound like those of a pedophile who has done a lot of research into other pedophiles justifying being pedophiles.

I am going to give some of my fellow academic critical theorists the benefit of the doubt and say they are actually convinced that these conclusions follow just naturally from the production of knowledge and aren’t actually into child rape; however, there is a good chance you are right and the guy himself is just a well read pedophile.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

so we think it's a good idea to talk to the cops now lol

And it has the added benefit of getting him stuck with an ambulance bill for his trouble

Call 911, indeed

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ZombieLenin posted:

I am going to give some of my fellow academic critical theorists the benefit of the doubt and say they are actually convinced that these conclusions follow just naturally from the production of knowledge and aren’t actually into child rape; however, there is a good chance you are right and the guy himself is just a well read pedophile.

there's enough predatory people in the academic world that i am personally fine with assuming that people who defend pedophilia theoretically are pedophiles actually tbh

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They have a red haired squatter living in their house.

I'm going with this absolutely terrifying, fall-appropriate explanation. WTF man.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It seems pretty straightforward to say that a woman is not obligated to let someone into her home if she is afraid of that person.

It is true that this may make the boyfriend upset and harm (or even end) their relationship, but that is the choice she made because she is not obligated to let someone into her home if she is afraid of that person. To say otherwise is to say that the boyfriend’s feelings and/or the relationship are more important than her security.

She is not an EMT, and saying ‘tell me about the mysterious frightening incident that happened a week ago or I‘ll lose my trust in you’ is not an unreasonable ultimatum.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm (24F) seeing a man (43M) with a concerning past. Can people really change? [new]
submitted 25 minutes ago by chasingshoesales

quote:

I've (24F) been seeing an older guy (43M) for 3 months now. We have so much fun and he's been very sweet. It took me a couple weeks to come to terms with our age difference, but eventually I opened up and said screw it. But he has a lot of baggage. He has an ex-wife, who seems nuts, but I guess that just comes with ex-spouses half the time. And he has a son, but I absolutely adore him.

I've never really had a relationship with anyone that much older, so this is extremely new territory for me, and probably why I like the relationship so much. My abusive parents were as distant as you can be when you have to live with someone. My relatives weren't really around and we had a language barrier. I hated most of my teachers. Etc. I've always had to figure everything out on my own, which has made me more mature than most of my peers (not trying to brag, it's actually really annoying). Therefore, I realize I prefer older men, as I don't have to put my life on hold to guide them through their lives like a second mother. Our relationship is a nice balance of give and take that I never experienced before.

My problem is that he has a lot of concerning stories from his past. I don't know if this is normal, since he's had way more adult years than I have. I've definitely noticed I would have NEVER dated him if he was still in his 20's. He told me he's had two girlfriends at once. He used to do coke to the point he developed a habit at the time. Luckily, he got himself off of it once he realized he had a problem. He was just a man-slut, to be short. He said women used to cheat on their boyfriends/husbands with him.

The story with his ex-wife is pretty weird too. He said, after they were dating for a while, she had been told by a doctor that she had little chance to have kids. So she was distraught and asked him if he wanted to try to have a child together. Given he was in his mid-30's at the time, he said sure, no big deal, and she got pregnant really soon afterward. Once she was pregnant, she told him she didn't want to have a bastard child and begged him to marry her. He showed me pictures of their courthouse "wedding" and I believe he really didn't want to do it cause he honestly looked drunk/unhappy lol. Then their whole relationship drifted to nothing as it was all one-sided, financially and emotionally, except they were co-parenting. He felt trapped.

He said he decided to end it after he met a woman about my age and basically had an emotional affair. I believe it would have been physical, but she was Muslim and unmarried, so she was a virgin. He asked for a separation with his wife and she filed divorce papers behind his back. Then there was a 2-year hell-storm divorce battle that basically ended a year ago. They have shared custody but aren't even allowed to speak to one another beyond that. The other woman happened to move out of the country, so that was that. He apparently didn't want the divorce because he wanted to get with this other women. She just made him realize there was more to life than a dead marriage.

My problem here is that I don't understand how, in his 20's, he could have been so inconsiderate to females and other relationships. It's just so horrible to me to cheat on women. Or to be the one someone cheats with! I've been cheated on and still just don't understand how someone can stoop so low and have any kind of moral compass. Also, it scares me he had that emotional affair so recently. I think he would have slept with her if she was willing. I acknowledge that I'm very black-and-white when it comes to morals, but it's still very hard for me to get understand.

Also, his drug past is like, WHY??? I never understood doing cocaine for fun and steer clear of those who do. I can understand doing it once or twice (not really, but it was all over his industry), but actually developing a habit is just beyond my comprehension. To me, you'd have to really want to destroy your life to get to this point or you're beyond stupid.

He'll tell me some of these things he had done, and he knows that it will make me upset. But he still tells me for the sake of being fully honest, and so I know him better. Then I feel silly fighting with him about it because he tells me people change, and I'm fighting with him about decisions he made 10-15 years ago. It's just so new to me because if someone my age told me some of these stories, I'd hit the ground running because the stories would have had to date back at most 5 years. I know people can change, but I do believe you become more stagnant within your mid-20's and the morals you have in your mid-20's will probably be who you are for the rest of your life. Studies show that habits are harder to form after this age, so to me it makes sense...

My ex, who cheated on me, had cheated on his previous girlfriend. We were friends at the time. Two years afterwards, we developed feelings and I really thought he had changed into being a better person. Not even a month into our relationship, he cheated on me, after 3 years of very close friendship! This was the second time I had given someone a chance thinking they had changed. I just don't want to look like an idiot again.

I'm really concerned because I know some men his age that tend to date younger women, like to do it cause they believe they can easily manipulate us. I'm trying to not fall into old patterns of accepting narcissists into my life, but I'm deep in my feelings for him and probably can't think clearly. All I know is, there's no reason for me to believe he's lied to me. Can cheaters really not cheat later in life? Am I just being overly cautious?

TL;DR A guy (43M) I'm (24F) seeing has cheated in his 20's and done hard drugs. I'm a strong believer that past actions are the best indicator for future actions. Should I still trust this guy because he's being honest with me? Can people really change that much?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It's the written version of a child in their parent's clothing saying that they're all grown up. It's really adorable in an "aw, sweetie" kind of way.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Same old story. Likes older guy because guys her age are too immature and then dates 40 year old manchild with tons of baggage. Good move.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Leon Einstein posted:

Same old story. Likes older guy because guys her age are too immature and then dates 40 year old manchild with tons of baggage. Good move.

It's ok she's very mature for her age (such a burden).

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Mature people don't date fuckups that are 20 years their senior. I'm sure if you pointed that out, Reddit would censor you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

carry on then posted:

it’s almost like we as a society need to take a hard look at why we allow dangerous, violent animals to walk around freely instead of keeping them locked up at all times (or better, just loving out then down already because nothing of value will be lost)

I feel the same way about these forums and lovely posters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Mature people don't date fuckups that are 20 years their senior. I'm sure if you pointed that out, Reddit would censor you.

Mature people also don't feel the need to tell everyone how mature they are.

"People my age are so immature" ie people my age wont hang out with me because I constantly look down on them for casual life activities and behavior.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm so proud of myself for causing a multi-page derail.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If you think about it, it's actually pretty misogynistic for him to show up at her doorstep and demand her emotional labor.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

If you think about it, it's actually pretty misogynistic for him to show up at her doorstep and demand her emotional labor.

:eyepop:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
AITA for leaving my ex nanny stranded?

quote:

I and my wife have very demanding careers. It pays well and is satsifying but we get called in last minute for emergencies. We have one daughter. We hired a full time nanny from a reputable agency so that there wouldn't be last minute child care issues.

We had issues with her from the time we started. Even though timings and time off was discussed in detail with the nanny and the agency before hiring her, after she was hired she ask for more time off, with no reduced pay of course. She wasn't really that great at being a nanny either. She screwed up a few things (food, bathing, etc) and overall didn't really seem like she had any actual professional nanny experience. We never said anything to her or the agency because we accepted there would be an adjustment period.

She suddenly told us at 6 am in the morning one day that a relative had died and asked for emergency leave. I had to take emergency leave as my wife couldn't. That day our cleaning agency came in and seeing that I was there and the nanny wasn't one of them asks, "So she took that other job huh?" That's how I found out that she had been offered a job closer to her apartment with less pay but less hours. I tried to call her but she wasn't picking up her phone. She never turned up and I had to extend my emergency leave until we could get another nanny and my daughter adjusted to her. I was really worried that I'd lose my job over this.

Now it's been 3 months and I'm on my way back from another emergency meeting that went late and I had to drive through a remote area. Who do I see standing next to a broken down car but my ex nanny. I don't know if she saw me or if she was so desperate that anyone would do, but she frantically tried to flag me down. I ignored her and drove past.

AITA?

There's actually people in the thread calling the OP an rear end in a top hat for leaving her there. wtf.

christmas boots posted:

._________:downs:
^ the point ^ You

Try getting a bit closer to the point.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 12, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

christmas boots posted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

christmas boots posted:

lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kuros posted:

AITA for leaving my ex nanny stranded?

There's actually people in the thread calling the OP an rear end in a top hat for leaving her there. wtf.

._________:downs:
^ the point ^ You

Try getting a bit closer to the point.

Bless your heart

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA for confronting my parents who don’t acknowledge my birthday because of 9/11?

I was born on 9/11 in the 80s. I have two sets of parents, neither set acknowledges my birthday in any way once I turned 15–the year of the attacks. It’s always hurt and irritated me. None of them have ever said why but every year I hope for a text or something and it never happens.

We didn’t know anyone who died or was directly affected by the attacks. We lived across the country. Other than watching it on tv like everyone else it wasn’t something that was directly connected to us. Because then I could understand.

I didn’t even know to connect the events of 9/11 to the lack of birthday acknowledgement until this morning when my stepparent messaged me and said they never say anything about my birthday because they don’t think it’s appropriate while the whole country is mourning.

It boggles my mind that these two sets of people who hate each other so much have come to the same conclusion that this is the best course of action without ever mentioning it to me. I always feel so rejected.

WIBTA for being irritated about this and confronting them? It’s not like anyone else in my life has a problem sending birthday greetings. My MIL always makes a point to call which means a lot to me.

ETA: I just wonder if it’s not bratty to be all “love me because it’s my birthday!”

I had always assumed they were somehow forgetting my birthday. But knowing they remember and can’t be bothered makes me mad!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I wonder if those families spend the day in quiet reflection and mourning or if they just go about their days, like the bank near me that closed early for 9/11 yesterday. You know its just an excuse for everyone to go out for happy hour.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to testify as a character witness for my husband's best friend in a custody hearing?

My husband's best friend is bipolar and has been fine on medication for 20+ years. A few months ago something changed in his brain chemistry and his meds were no longer right. He has been manic since. He is not violent. He has had erratic behavior- drinking, smoking a lot of pot, left his wife, came back, left again, posting crazy rants on social media, randomly took off for Florida with another woman for a weekend, and is blowing through his savings. His wife obtained a legal separation, has the kids, and did screw him out of money as far as what their house is worth. My husband says she has also prodded at him to get a rise out of him but I don't have any specific details. She now has a restraining order against him for herself and their 2 kids.

He has asked my husband to testify as a character witness in a week at a custody hearing. His other friends have written him off, his brothers live across the country, father is deceased, and his mother refused. To be fair, his mother is also a little nuts. My husband is pretty much the last one left but is unsure if he can take off work. He asked if I would do it and I said I don't think I'm the right person for the task. He is beyond pissed at me and thinks I'm being callous and obtuse. I do think he deserves to see his kids but should be supervised. I honestly don't know what I would say. My husband also feels like I'm not being there for HIM, not just his friend. They have been friends for 30+ years. I'm so torn. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

UPDATE: I told my husband I could only do it if I can say the following: I don't think he's a bad dad. I do think he's a bad husband, and thought this before any of this happened, but being a crappy husband doesn't make someone a bad dad. I believe he deserves to see his children. But I think until his medication has been corrected, he is seeing a therapist regularly, and has had a mental health professional sign off on it, visits should be supervised.

My husband insists he is working on getting his meds right and that I haven't seen him in 5 months so I can't judge based on the last time I saw him. WHICH I SAY IS A PRETTY GOOD ARGUMENT FOR NOT BEING A WITNESS. He now doesn't think I should do it because I might hurt his case. But he still thinks I'm the rear end in a top hat

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
*dashes to the Wikipedia page on "things that have happened on December 25th", desperately looking for any excuse to not buy our son anything*

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It seems pretty straightforward to say that a woman is not obligated to let someone into her home if she is afraid of that person.

It is true that this may make the boyfriend upset and harm (or even end) their relationship, but that is the choice she made because she is not obligated to let someone into her home if she is afraid of that person. To say otherwise is to say that the boyfriend’s feelings and/or the relationship are more important than her security.

She is not an EMT, and saying ‘tell me about the mysterious frightening incident that happened a week ago or I‘ll lose my trust in you’ is not an unreasonable ultimatum.

Plus all the ‘he’s traumatized’ poo poo collapses after the next few days when he’s texting her and STILL not explaining poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You really have to wonder at the thought process of trying to coerce someone intp testifying about a thing they either don't understand or don't agree with, and who directly states as much.

Like what do you expect to happen when they get up there.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I wonder if those families spend the day in quiet reflection and mourning or if they just go about their days, like the bank near me that closed early for 9/11 yesterday. You know its just an excuse for everyone to go out for happy hour.

happy birthday son, for your party we're going to spend all day being those weirdos standing on the overpass waving a car dealership-sized American flag at everyone who drives by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think if they testify wrong you’re allowed to hunt them but that might vary by state