Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Unkempt posted:

I haven't had a haircut since 1989.

Last time I posted this fact it got a 'username/post combo' response so I suppose this is actually completely pointless.

Hello comrade. The last time you had a haircut I didn't even exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Very fond memories of playing that game on the PS1 in student halls (in loving 2005 lol), passing the controller on the left hand side is a great way to remind people that there's something else they're supposed to pass
Their exams :engleft:

unwantedplatypus posted:

People are allowed to seek spiritual/personal help, if they want it.
They are, but people who try to aggressively monetize that (mediums, pop self help authors, Jordan Peterson) or pair it with promoting reactionary politics (organized religion, Jordan Peterson) are not above criticism.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Worms is the best because it's just a constant parade of getting cocky and eating poo poo as a result while that one person actually good at the game wrecks you all.

Whomst else remembers the bug on the original PC Worms where if you hit F1 (hotkey for the bazooka) exactly quickly enough after pressing fire with a minigun equipped, it would fire out like 20 rockets?

Because that was the best thing in my life before I got topped in bed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Hello comrade. The last time you had a haircut I didn't even exist yet.

Does this mean if they have a haircut you'll cease to exist?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Failed Imagineer posted:

:fap:

Also, file this under " I saw this so you now have to"

This post is violence.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Their exams :engleft:

They are, but people who try to aggressively monetize that (mediums, pop self help authors, Jordan Peterson) or pair it with promoting reactionary politics (organized religion, Jordan Peterson) are not above criticism.

What's the difference between aggressive monetization and just, like, being a self-help author?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Haven't read the last couple of pages, so sorry if i've missed anything, i'll catch up shortly, but here is episode 3!

Podcasting is Praxis Episode 3 - Judged On Your Record

Episode 4 to come tomorrow (because if the lords can stop time, so the gently caress can I, it's still Thursday to me, okay :mad: )

I listened to this on the way in to work and I was glad of traffic because it meant I had a longer journey!

You are all ace on it and goodness you reminded me of some of the things that make me detest the tories! Excellent work!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

ahmini posted:

Just finished filling out the EU Settled Status bullshit for my partner. She's been resident and gainfully employed in the UK since at 2013 but of course the loving app denies her settled status and dumps her in the pre-settled category. Cue uploading tons of document scans proving she's been here. Of course I have every confidence that a Tory-run Home Office will process these correctly :suicide:

If it’s any any consolation, I just officially received pre-settled status and the people involved were very lenient in accepting my documents (more so than many banks here, for instance), responsive, and prompt in coming back with a decision.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

unwantedplatypus posted:

What's the difference between aggressive monetization and just, like, being a self-help author?
Exactly.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Does this mean if they have a haircut you'll cease to exist?

If only it were that easy!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

I'm sure many a starving family wasted the last of their porridge money funding their father's self help addiction.

(This has probably happened at least once actually, but same goes for a lot of other things.)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I don't see how it's really possible to promote alternative medicine without at least implicitly disparaging regular medicine. Like, if you're telling people that you can treat cancer with shiny stones and yak piss, then even if you're not telling people they should stop their actual treatment, you're still encouraging them to distrust real medicine by telling them that their doctors are holding out on them.

That's not to say it doesn't have its place (I mean I literally just took some pills with "BASED ON TRADITIONAL USAGE ONLY" on them in clear letters because why the gently caress not, I haven't got time to get sick & it won't make it any worse), but there's a difference between selling the poo poo - responsibly, making it clear that it's not a substitute for real medicine & there's no evidence it works any better than a placebo - and actively promoting it. Even the name "alternative medicine" suggests that it's an "alternative", rather than a big pile of nothing that you can take on top of your regular poo poo if you really want to.

Also why have we let the rhetoric shift from "curing cancer with yak piss" to "self help"? Self help is good, promoting alternative medicine is encouraging self harm

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

I don't see how it's really possible to promote alternative medicine without at least implicitly disparaging regular medicine. Like, if you're telling people that you can treat cancer with shiny stones and yak piss, then even if you're not telling people they should stop their actual treatment, you're still encouraging them to distrust real medicine by telling them that their doctors are holding out on them.

That's not to say it doesn't have its place (I mean I literally just took some pills with "BASED ON TRADITIONAL USAGE ONLY" on them in clear letters because why the gently caress not, I haven't got time to get sick & it won't make it any worse), but there's a difference between selling the poo poo - responsibly, making it clear that it's not a substitute for real medicine & there's no evidence it works any better than a placebo - and actively promoting it. Even the name "alternative medicine" suggests that it's an "alternative", rather than a big pile of nothing that you can take on top of your regular poo poo if you really want to.

Also why have we let the rhetoric shift from "curing cancer with yak piss" to "self help"? Self help is good, promoting alternative medicine is encouraging self harm

If it worked it wouldn't be called alternative medicine. It'd just be called medicine.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Cutting edge political commentary from the heart of Derbyshire!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ms Adequate posted:

Worms is the best because it's just a constant parade of getting cocky and eating poo poo as a result while that one person actually good at the game wrecks you all.

I was that person :smug:

Favourite move: placing a pixel-perfect cluster bomb juuuuust under your arse so all the bomblets explode together and deal a billion damage

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

Cutting edge political commentary from the heart of Derbyshire!

Can someone translate from farmer?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

superLINUS posted:

So polling day for the first by-election since I became party secretary was yesterday, and I put a lot of work into the campaign. Let’s see how the results went.

https://www.twitter.com/britainelects/status/1172273147007160326

Oh.

In so many ways, I am not Dommie Cummies.

I'm sorry buddy. Can we help?

Also I was doing a read of Radical Happiness and the point it raised is that with Self-Help books Happiness is very much seen as a one sided affair. It's something to do on your own. And tbh having done that for years I've kind of realised it sucks. More solidarity and meeting folks.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 13, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I was that person :smug:

Favourite move: placing a pixel-perfect cluster bomb juuuuust under your arse so all the bomblets explode together and deal a billion damage
A perfect hit with 5 clusters at 25 damage each won't even get a kill if you're playing at 200 health, whereas the water or the edge of the map are one shots from almost anywhere on most maps, noob :colbert:

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Borrovan posted:

I prefer the term 'complementary medicine'. Bedside manner and a feeling of being cared for are things that the woo folk are good at and mainstream medicine is Very Bad At. And it does help people heal. So yes alt-medicine is bad because it displaces actual medicine - but if someone wants to drink a bit of sugar water or have a massage and it helps them feel better after chemo, uh, go for it

E: part of what makes the complementary treatments work is people's belief it works, so any public policy to do with complementary health care has a tough row to hoe with respect to efficacy & the placebo effect

Superterranean fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 13, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Angepain posted:

I once heard something about Rasputin's spiritual woo healing advice actually working for the tsar's wife primarily because it avoided her condition getting worse by going through the godawful "medical" treatments of the time

What I'm saying is, marriane is going to gently caress the president's spouse and then get murdered

Same with early homeopathy. Turns out "have some water" is way better than leeches

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Haven't read the last couple of pages, so sorry if i've missed anything, i'll catch up shortly, but here is episode 3!

Podcasting is Praxis Episode 3 - Judged On Your Record

Episode 4 to come tomorrow (because if the lords can stop time, so the gently caress can I, it's still Thursday to me, okay :mad: )

Not an empty quote for the morning crew.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

If it worked it wouldn't be called alternative medicine. It'd just be called medicine.

The more reputable end of the spectrum call it "complimentary medicine" and I'm actually alright with that. Chemotherapy, for example, absolutely loving sucks and if some nice smells and a bit of stretching helps you feel better about it, then go for it.

Where the problem for me is that once you call it aromatherapy and yoga it ends up costing 60 quid an hour and that's considerably more than the actual trained professionals doing the chemo are getting paid. Conversely I know full well that if they start offering it on the NHS it'll be a wedge for the quacks to get (further) in, and it'll be catnip for the tabloids - and this is assuming we get back a not-poo poo NHS where they don't cut a maternity ward to pay for it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is there anyone who posts in this thread that doesn't belong in games workshop?

I'm more of a historical games guy myself. Luv 2 napoleonics, such shiny pretty uniforms! :quagmire:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/TimAeppel/status/1172201314094333952?s=19

Current economic systems working as intended. Quite a thing to be listening to the dwp themed podcast and seeing this on Twitter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't they used to call it convalescent care?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Dammit now I wanna play UKMT worms

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^loving same, buddy

All that kind of complementary stuff actually does work though (as in, more effective than a placebo, I dated a girl who did her PhD on it), at which point it just becomes "medicine". Just medicine that's not cost-effective enough to get on the NHS, which is a bummer, but it's very different to homeopathy & spiritual poo poo, which is just a placebo, but one that people'd still believe worked if you sold it in bottles with "THIS IS A PLACEBO THAT DOES NOT DO ANYTHING" and forced people to read clinical data on it before buying.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

Josef bugman posted:

I'm sorry buddy. Can we help?
You’re the best of eggs for offering but it’s just a case of grinding away. There were lots of maybe reasons for our votes draining away but you never really know. As I said to the candidate, we go again!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Can I assume we’re all in agreement that Worms: Armageddon was the best and therefore canonical Worms game?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The more reputable end of the spectrum call it "complimentary medicine" and I'm actually alright with that. Chemotherapy, for example, absolutely loving sucks and if some nice smells and a bit of stretching helps you feel better about it, then go for it.

Where the problem for me is that once you call it aromatherapy and yoga it ends up costing 60 quid an hour and that's considerably more than the actual trained professionals doing the chemo are getting paid. Conversely I know full well that if they start offering it on the NHS it'll be a wedge for the quacks to get (further) in, and it'll be catnip for the tabloids - and this is assuming we get back a not-poo poo NHS where they don't cut a maternity ward to pay for it.

Yeah I'm okay with that. Making sure people who are going through really rough treatments have good QoL is a good thing and shouldn't be reserved for the rich, but it should be billed as that, not complimentary medicine because as you said, that's how we get homoeopathy on the NHS. I hate homeopathy almost as much as I hate tories.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Same with early homeopathy. Turns out "have some water" is way better than leeches

The big win that homeopaths always like to talk about is the London cholera epidemics, where the London Homeopathic Hospital had extremely good survival rates - something like 90% compared to the ~50% of some of the established hospitals.

Apropos of nothing the London Homeopathic Hospital's first premises had a private well, and was located on Golden Square, uphill from Soho. I'm not even sure why I mention this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

Can I assume we’re all in agreement that Worms: Armageddon was the best and therefore canonical Worms game?

There are others?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I like to make art out of the worms terrain using blowtorches, dragon punch, drills and girders

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Borrovan posted:

e: ^^^loving same, buddy

All that kind of complementary stuff actually does work though (as in, more effective than a placebo, I dated a girl who did her PhD on it), at which point it just becomes "medicine". Just medicine that's not cost-effective enough to get on the NHS, which is a bummer, but it's very different to homeopathy & spiritual poo poo, which is just a placebo, but one that people'd still believe worked if you sold it in bottles with "THIS IS A PLACEBO THAT DOES NOT DO ANYTHING" and forced people to read clinical data on it before buying.

A placebo that doesn't do anything is a shameful placebo. That's the whole weirdness of the placebo effect: placebos do something, somehow, because our bodies and brains are loving weird.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

unwantedplatypus posted:

success

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

TACD posted:

gently caress no. Regular Worms, with zero dynamites, teleports, blowtorches, drills or punches and everything else apart from grenades or bazookas set to 1 :colbert:

e: lmao I just realised that I am actually unironically a snobby purist about a silly 1990s video game for children

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 13, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

unwantedplatypus posted:

I'm sure many a starving family wasted the last of their porridge money funding their father's self help addiction.

(This has probably happened at least once actually, but same goes for a lot of other things.)
I don't think it's unfair that books which claim to allow people to heal or improve themselves are held to a greater degree of scrutiny than, say, fiction about cats, in the same way that we normally subject chemicals that claim to cure illnesses to greater scrutiny than chemicals that claim to look pretty.

That doesn't mean that all spiritual and self help authors get sent to the word mines, it means that we acknowledge that the current metric of success for self help is 'sells well' and that puts it at the equivalent of the 19th century free market patent medicines phase, which is generally not regarded as the peak of medical integrity, and means that a lot of them are the spiritual equivalent of the old joke, man writes a book called How To Become A Millionaire, step 1 is write a book called...

Also this

Josef bugman posted:

with Self-Help books Happiness is very much seen as a one sided affair. It's something to do on your own. And tbh having done that for years I've kind of realised it sucks. More solidarity and meeting folks.

Also very much this

TACD posted:

e: ^^^ so you just want to play GORILLAS.BAS?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The greatest menu theme outside of Smash Ultimate. Does your menu have a monologue? I didn't think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJsY4FoSZ8

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Agreed, but that's a funny way to spell RA2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Whomst else remembers the bug on the original PC Worms where if you hit F1 (hotkey for the bazooka) exactly quickly enough after pressing fire with a minigun equipped, it would fire out like 20 rockets?

Because that was the best thing in my life before I got topped in bed.

It was the best thing in my life until I found it worked with the dynamite hotkey as well